Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cegirls

Light, gentle, subtle scents for the office, class, expectant moms

Bumping because as I understand it we're supposed to try and make sure we don't duplicate threads, but I wanted to see if anyone had any new suggestions or thoughts...

I'm a complete BPAL newbie - but have seen them mentioned on many blogs and LJs that I like to read - so I'm wanting to maybe give it a try - figure I will buy a set of imps ears - but beyond that - there is SO much to read on here that I'm completely lost.

I do have sensitivities to some perfumes (and smells in general) so I'm looking for fairly light - yet still really awesome... My biggest problem is that a lot of light scents in the stores don't really appeal to me - but the heavier ones make me sick...

No clue what would help anyone figure out what I'd like though... I like the ideas of some of the scents people have suggested that fit with certain fandoms - so if there's any light Phantom of the Opera-y scents that would be great... (or Firefly or even Harry Potter for that matter - but Phantom and Firefly come first =) Or anything historically (I'm a big Jane Austen fan - even if it is stereotypical librarian =)

Um anything else that would help someone figure out what to start out with? There's just way too many scents to look through!

My two recommendations for light, subtle scents would be Katharina and Shanghai. Katharina is innocent and fruity, while Shanghai is a clean, sweet citrus. Katharina is my favorite of the two as I don't prefer citrus, but I could see how a lot of people could love Shanghai.

My two recommendations for light, subtle scents would be Katharina and Shanghai. Katharina is innocent and fruity, while Shanghai is a clean, sweet citrus. Katharina is my favorite of the two as I don't prefer citrus, but I could see how a lot of people could love Shanghai.

Thanks - any recommendations for light but not necessarily citrusy? (I'm not totally adverse to citrusy - because I know I don't get too many other options if I want light - but I'd like a balance of stuff... I guess if I could figure out what it is that bothers me I'd be able to get better recommendations because I don't think its an entirely a heaviness thing...)

(I'm so bad at this even in the stores... I've tried to find scents there and found problems too... and can't seem to get much help from my friends either... Ok, lets see... I don't care for Clinque Happy - I know that... as far as cheap perfume goes - I've always liked my aunt's Lady Stetson... what did I end up getting that last time... Estee Laude Pleasures... hmm... thats probably all the perfume I've really ever smelled enough to remember much about (well except for Sunflowers and the fact that the girls lockerroom after PE in the 7th grade was drinched in it, LOL - though oddly enough I never disliked the scent - just disliked the popularity of it)

oh and I own the Phantom of the Opera perfume for the bottle but its way too strong for me to consider actually wearing - didn't make me sick - just was too loud for me...

What about Severin - I saw it mentioned on here - I really like a Bath and Body works scent I have that had tea in it (and I love the smell of tea anyway - open up the box of english breakfast and just inhale!)

Funny I should be responding on this thread at all, and doubly so when you see what the recommendation is...Can't stand florals, you know. See, I tend to like fairly masculine in-your-face-scents. Still, I'm inclined to give a major nod to Amsterdam as one that is light but lovely. Not me at all, mind you, but it fills the bill for the thread. I can't stand florals and *still* it gets the nod. Besides, hadn't seen it mentioned on this thread. Should be. Try it. Simply light and lovely.

(I know this is ancient, but just had to give it an :P. Crack me up.

Basically anything that smells like food gets a nice nose-to-groin response! :D :D

Funny I should be responding on this thread at all, and doubly so when you see what the recommendation is...Can't stand florals, you know. See, I tend to like fairly masculine in-your-face-scents. Still, I'm inclined to give a major nod to Amsterdam as one that is light but lovely. Not me at all, mind you, but it fills the bill for the thread. I can't stand florals and *still* it gets the nod. Besides, hadn't seen it mentioned on this thread. Should be. Try it. Simply light and lovely.

Thanks (I'm personally still confused - but I think its me - because my problem is - some of the stiny-ist perfumes I've ever smelled that bothered me... were Florals... so I don't tend to think of them as that light necessarily... (I think what I'd really like is something strong but diluted if that makes any sense - a lot of what people in the stores try to convince me of as light scents are just... ugh!)

Thanks (I'm personally still confused - but I think its me - because my problem is - some of the stiny-ist perfumes I've ever smelled that bothered me... were Florals... so I don't tend to think of them as that light necessarily... (I think what I'd really like is something strong but diluted if that makes any sense - a lot of what people in the stores try to convince me of as light scents are just... ugh!)

Hmmn... maybe you should tell us what kinds of scents you like out in the world, that you might like to smell on yourself? Not perfume smells, but things like fresh laundry or lemonade or baking brownies or incense or ripe berries or the ocean or a library or chai tea or leather or coconut or tobacco or roses or wet dirt... those kinds of smells.

With BPAL you can control how strong a blend is by diluting it with a neutral carrier oil (e.g., jojoba oil) or alcohol. So, if we know what kinds of smells you like, we can direct you to blends that smell like that, and you can make them as light as you wish. :P

For the record, blends in the general catalogue that have struck me as light/faint/delicate even at full strength include:

(Wanderlust) - Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Amsterdam
(Wanderlust) - Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

The Apothecary
(Illyria) - Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig

Baneberry
(Rappaccini's Garden) - A poisonous fruit-bearing member of the buttercup family. The scent, like the plant, is dark green, herbal, and plump with bulging black fruit.

Bewitched
(Bewitching Brews) - Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

Black Hellebore
(Rappaccini's Garden) - The scent is a pale green herbal, darkly rooty, with a faint rose and peony-like overtone.

Black Pearl
(Bewitching Brews) - Gentle and lovely, but menacing and profound. Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

Cheshire Cat
(Mad Tea Party) - Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.

Croquet
(Mad Tea Party) - Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk.

Dian's Bud
(Rappaccini's Garden) - No scent desciption.

This is a light, clean scent that brings to mind Dove soap.

The Dormouse
(Mad Tea Party) - A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

The Hesperides
(Bewitching Brews) - Their perfume is that of sturdy oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple.

The Lion
(Mad Tea Party) - The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

This one is neither floral nor citrusy. It is a warm, dry scent... but still very light.

Lyonesse
(Wanderlust) - Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Mandrake
(Rappaccini's Garden) - No scent description.

A very faint cedar scent.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale
(Mad Tea Party) - Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

Olokun
(Excolo) - His ofrenda is the scent of the lightless deep: the glorious, unknowable gloom of the ocean floor.

The description sounds nasty, but actually it's a lovely light, clean, ocean-y scent.

Prague
(Wanderlust) - Crocus with snowdrop and three lilies.

Rosalind
(Illyria) - Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

Severin
(Ars Amatoria) - Dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather.

Squirting Cucumber
(Rappaccini's Garden) - A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.

Sudha Segara
(Bewitching Brews) - Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

This one is a personal favorite. I find the ginger very clean and refreshing, but it's also a warm, comforting scent.

Szepasszony
(Diablous) - A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Titania
(Illyria) - A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

Tushnamatay
(Bewitching Brews) - Pure internal harmony and spiritual bliss: the perfected meditation blend.

People seem to have very varied impressions of what this actually smells like, but the consensus seems to be a very light resin/incense.

Twenty-One
(Bewitching Brews) - This is the scent of the perfect martini.

This is a refreshing gin/juniper scent.

Undertow
(Bewitching Brews) - Lotus and juniper with a hint of mint.

The Unicorn
(Mad Tea Party) - A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

Edited by Apple

I think "light" is sometimes harder to pin down than "strong." A strong scent is pretty obvious, be it a thick rich thread of lovely scent or an overwhelming dark cloud of perfume. Light scents can be scents with little throw, scents which seem more like skin scents than perfumes, scents lightly applied, or scents that just have a light feel to them.

Therefore, it may be easier for us all to veto scents than suggest them. Do you have anything particular in mind? I'm sure that we all would be happy to tell you if it's a particularly strong/loud/heavy oil.

Suggestions, meanwhile, aren't so easy and have quite a bit of range. If you have any idea of what notes or scents in general that you do/don't like, that may help people make better suggestions. I don't think you need to be wary of florals in general, especially since there are some in the scents you like. Not all florals are equal—some are light, some can be heavy or cloying, and they can even differ depending on what accompanies them. I'm absolutely not a florals expert (or even wearer, for the most part), but you may have good luck with "white" flowers, either as a general descriptor, as in The Unicorn, or as a particular, as in white roses. In my experience, those white florals are generally lighter and more gentle.

Meanwhile, in the vein of direct recommendations: I think Apple's list is wonderful, and would add a few of my own, all of course subject to my particular measures of light/heavy and my particular skin chemistry:

Velvet, Envelop yourself in the soft, sensual embrace of gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh. It's a subduded but lovely scent—soft is a good word for it.

Morocco, Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia. Like skin, but better. This is an intimate, gentle, close-to-the-skin scent and one of my absolute favorites.

Ivanushka (LE), Soft, velvety fur and warm musk, brushed by forest woods and dusted by dry leaves. Applied with a light hand, this is a lovely personal scent, like fur replacing one's own skin—the most gentle musk.

Dana O'Shee, Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name. I slather myself in this one and it's still a gentle, softly sweet scent. Some foody blends may be too rich/heavy/cloying for your tastes, so I mention this one as a lighter, whiter alternative.

The Lion, The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious. Like Apple, I find this to be a gentle, warm scent.

Death Cap, A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild. A soft, vanilla-sweet, warm earth scent which is quiet and low-through—present, but never even close to overpowering.

The Unicorn, A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs. It's like just a touch of body glitter: sparkling, white, lovely, but only barely visible/sensed.

I also second Sudha Segara, which was indeed so faint on me that I could barely smell it.

Edited by Juushika

Thanks folks - I'm on my lunch hour - but I'll think about the scents and post up later tonight...

I guess my issue is there's a lot of scents I've never understood as perfumes... like I don't see myself wanting to smell like chocolate pound cake even if I love the smell of it in the oven, LOL!

Ok a few thoughts

1) Absolute nos - Fresia (sp?), anything remotely smelling like baby powder, tabacco, pumpkin, bananas (I'd really doubt there'd be any that smell like bananas but just incase!), incense and related smells, Coconut...

and we might better stick to no Coffee because while I like the smell of certain coffees - I've also got a really bad gag reflex to the smell of others (like what my old suitemate in college used to stink the bathroom up with - I'd have to hold by nose in the bathroom after she fixed her coffee to keep from being sick!)

2) I had some tangerine spray I LOVED a long time ago - no brand name - smelled just like (the also long since gone) Tangerine version of Fruitopia... I also like lime... and I used to love Pearberry Bath and Body Works (though my current favorite is Black Tea and Current)

3) Other smells I like - Wine, english breakfast tea, spearmint

4) Things that would be ok - but not as main scent or too strong - roses, carnations, probably lilys, vanilla

Ok a few thoughts

1) Absolute nos - Fresia (sp?), anything remotely smelling like baby powder, tabacco, pumpkin, bananas (I'd really doubt there'd be any that smell like bananas but just incase!), incense and related smells, Coconut...

and we might better stick to no Coffee because while I like the smell of certain coffees - I've also got a really bad gag reflex to the smell of others (like what my old suitemate in college used to stink the bathroom up with - I'd have to hold by nose in the bathroom after she fixed her coffee to keep from being sick!)

2) I had some tangerine spray I LOVED a long time ago - no brand name - smelled just like (the also long since gone) Tangerine version of Fruitopia... I also like lime... and I used to love Pearberry Bath and Body Works (though my current favorite is Black Tea and Current)

3) Other smells I like - Wine, english breakfast tea, spearmint

4) Things that would be ok - but not as main scent or too strong - roses, carnations, probably lilys, vanilla

Got it! From my original list up above, I think you might like:

Baneberry

Bewitched

Cheshire Cat

Croquet

Prague

Rosalind

Severin

Titania

Undertow

You might also consider:

Akuma
(Diabolus) - Devilish temptation, as sweet as sin: blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

Bordello
(Ars Amatoria) - Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

Lady Macbeth
(Illyria) - Sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

Lolita
(Ars Amatoria) - Glittering heliotrope, honeysuckle, orange blossom and lemon verbena.

Maiden
(Ars Amatoria) - A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

Schroedinger's Cat
(Bewitching Brews) - A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues
(Marchen) - Serpentine green herbs, glistening red currant, sparkling yellow lemon rind, green musk, lime, and snakeskin.

Shattered
(Bewitching Brews) - A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

Succubus
(Ars Amatoria) - Mimosa, orange blossom, neroli and bergamot with a drop of sweet clove.

Tweedledee
(Mad Tea Party) - Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

I think you would probably like most of the BPAL tea blends. With the exception of Dorian (which was like being hit upside the head with a vanilla two-by-four), I have found most of them very light. If you don't like incense, I would avoid scents that list red musk as a note; a lot of people (myself included) find red musk to be very incense-y.

The aversion to baby powder is shared by many here, and there are several notes that seem to go powdery on some people. The most common ones seem to be certain musks, amber and some other resins, honey, and vanilla. Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try blends with these notes (they might all be lovely on your skin); rather, if you find certain blends turning to powder on your skin, you might look to see if there's a common note.

Yes! Thank you SO much Apple! Those all sound marvelous (and yours and Juushika's lists were already pretty spot on for not having any more to go on!) Awesome! (Maybe BPAL will at least teach me about scents if nothing else - I'd never thought about dividing scents out like this before - but it does seem to make more sense than what the big brand names in the department stores do at least!)

Now I've just got to decide which ones to try first! I do know I'm definately trying Severin - I'd never thought of leather in a scent - but it makes me (reading about it) think about Captain Mal from Firefly and his Browncoat - but beyond that I'm so torn on the others!

Just so many great ones to choose from - but at least I've got a smaller list to work from than the entire list of what is sold! (and I'll have to go through to find out which ones aren't sold in imps of course too)

Probably won't order til after Christmas (should have some Christmas gift money by that point - plus I always feel guilty buying for myself before Christmas even if I'm single and I've got the money to spare...just seems wrong - and I've already bought myself a couple of small items that I've wrapped up to me as being from my dog! LOL!)

Yes! Thank you SO much Apple! Those all sound marvelous (and yours and Juushika's lists were already pretty spot on for not having any more to go on!) Awesome! (Maybe BPAL will at least teach me about scents if nothing else - I'd never thought about dividing scents out like this before - but it does seem to make more sense than what the big brand names in the department stores do at least!)

Now I've just got to decide which ones to try first! I do know I'm definately trying Severin - I'd never thought of leather in a scent - but it makes me (reading about it) think about Captain Mal from Firefly and his Browncoat - but beyond that I'm so torn on the others!

Just so many great ones to choose from - but at least I've got a smaller list to work from than the entire list of what is sold! (and I'll have to go through to find out which ones aren't sold in imps of course too)

YAY! :P You're very welcome. The ones I listed are all available in imp form, and the only one from Juushika's list that isn't "impable" is Ivanushka (and if you're interested in that one, you can probably find some on the swaps/sales boards here).

Severin is a great choice, and I think you would really like Titania, too. Good luck narrowing down your choices!

Resurrecting this thread!

The nursing lab I'm taking right now has a perfume restriction - extremely light perfume only. This is a real shame - most of my favorite scents aren't light. I'm looking for more scents that smell good, but aren't immediately recognizable as perfume.

Some of my favorite scents that I'd consider light are: Black Opal, Door, Dorian, La Petite Mort, and The Lights of Men's Lives.

I'm not really a fan of super-citrusy smells, florals, foodies, or fruity perfumes. Several scents already mentioned in this thread I'd have to veto: Embalming Fluid was too citrusy on me, The Dormouse was way too floral, and Snow White turns to sweet plastic on my skin. I really like resinous, incensy, woodsy, boozy, red musk containing perfumes... but hey, those are what I need to get away from. :lol:

I do like vanilla in any amounts, so more light vanilla scents are good as long as they don't fall into the realm of foody. Amber is also usually good. Any recommendations for me? ;)

Edited by calivianya

Some of my favorite scents that I'd consider light are: Black Opal, Door, Dorian, La Petite Mort, and The Lights of Men's Lives.

I'm not really a fan of super-citrusy smells, florals, foodies, or fruity perfumes. Several scents already mentioned in this thread I'd have to veto: Embalming Fluid was too citrusy on me, The Dormouse was way too floral, and Snow White turns to sweet plastic on my skin. I really like resinous, incensy, woodsy, boozy, red musk containing perfumes... but hey, those are what I need to get away from. :lol:

I do like vanilla in any amounts, so more light vanilla scents are good as long as they don't fall into the realm of foody. Amber is also usually good. Any recommendations for me? ;)

Id say try Sachs. I didnt like my new bottle, but at least a year on it makes it into a gorgeous, very light herbal vanilla.

I'm gonna recommend Mr. Ibis again (I seem to be telling everyone to get it lately!) it is a light musk that I can smell clearly while wearing it, but people only 3 feet away can't smell at all.

On me, O is actually quite light as well, although I know some people amp it.

Aureus is light and reminds me of a hope chest. Although a co-worker started sneezing whenever I would wear it...

Anubis is a light, somewhat sweet incense.

If you like melon, Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat is unobtrusive.

Id say try Sachs. I didnt like my new bottle, but at least a year on it makes it into a gorgeous, very light herbal vanilla.

I've been toying with the idea of getting Sachs for a while; now to find a decant!

I'm gonna recommend Mr. Ibis again (I seem to be telling everyone to get it lately!) it is a light musk that I can smell clearly while wearing it, but people only 3 feet away can't smell at all.

Aureus is light and reminds me of a hope chest. Although a co-worker started sneezing whenever I would wear it...

I've been thinking about Mr. Ibis too. Thanks for the rec. ;)

Wow...Aureus, to me, is one heavy duty patchouli wallop - I wouldn't call it light at all! Funny how different fragrances are on different people.

I'm sure these have been mentioned previously, but Alice, Zephyr and Mouse's Long and Sad Tale are light, to my nose, as is Coyote. Also, a good "light incense" scent is Kubla Khan, and lighter red musk blends include Bien Loin d'Ici and The Ifrit. You may also like Skuld, if honey doesn't turn you off. Dragon's Reverie is one of the "lighter" Ars Draconis blends. For a light amber, check out The Lion or snag a bottle of Jacob's Ladder (a Yule blend that's offered nearly every year) in swaps.

Good luck!

I'll second Coyote as a nice light musk. It's just kind of soft and sweet and...fuzzy. I'm also a big fan of The Butterfly, on me it's not a strong scent, but it lasts forever. I amp O and The Lion to high heaven, so ymmv on those being light scents.

I remember White Rabbit being fairly light when I tried it, and although it doesn't have any of your notes (it doesn't have your notes of doom either), Kumiho is a gorgeous light, clean scent.

Oh, you might try a scent locket too? I know when I wear mine, I can smell faint whiffs of my perfume throughout the day, but it doesn't seem like anyone else can.

Wow...Aureus, to me, is one heavy duty patchouli wallop - I wouldn't call it light at all! Funny how different fragrances are on different people.

Very true, I don't get patchouli at all in Aureus, just warm cedar hope chest smell. Patchouli has to be very heavy for me to notice it at all; although I know it is a problem for many people.

On the flip side, Calivianya said in the OP that Black Opal and Dorian were scents she considered light, and they are both screamingly, unbearingly loud on me. It's not the vanilla, it's a masculine cologne scent that overpowers them both on me. I do agree the The Lights of Men's Lives is very light. It reminds me of a waxy Mr. Ibis actually.

I'd go with Dana O'Shee, it's very sweet, creamy, slightly green and liiiiight. I wore this when my youngest was a newborn so I did not upset his little nose. Another to consider that is very light, and clean? Water of Notre Dame. Veeery light and watery.

Which scents do you think are appropriate for daily wear, if you go to school everyday? Or which ones do you wear?

I wore Snake Oil to class the other day and I wonder if its too strong? I love it though! O is nice too, but seeing as people think it reminds them of sex, I dunno if I want to wear it to class lol

Thoughts and opinions?

I love Envy, it's pretty light and herbal, and doesn't seem to bother my scent-sensitive BF. I feel fine wearing it to work or anywhere else, since it seems unobtrusive. I don't like wearing something heavy with too much throw that might make any of the people around me feel ill! So I tend to like mint or lavender scents for that.

I try not to go overboard on application with some of the lab's more potent blends (Voodoo and Snake Oil, I'm looking at you). On other days I tend to lean towards some of the lighter blends like Mr. Ibis and The Madwoman. I also to avoid wearing any blends with racy names (ex: O) to class in case a student or a professor asks me what I am wearing.

Oh the names dont bother me.

Now, what is "overboard" on application? I applied on both wrists, both sides of neck and whatever was left on the stick thing, i rubbed behind my ears. Perhaps I'll just apply to wrists next time? Hmm...