Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UberClaire

Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple

Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple -- With a dollop of caramel!

in the bottle thick, dark butterscotch (not quite caramel, unfortunately) with a little fruity nip
wet on skin a little more apple, but still very butterscotchy
dry on skin ahhh! nice apple! the throw is heavy butterscotch/caramel and the close-up sniff is baked apple. i dabbed a bit on the wrist that already had samhain on it, though, and it smells like mosquito repellent. note to myself: do not mix.

this is the candied apple i was looking for with creepy, but without the boozy coconut note which wasn't quite my cup of tea.

This is very strong, wet apple in the vial....

On and wet, the apple still lends a good amount of punch, and lets through a blanket of sweetness. Very rich and gooey smelling, but a bit too much apple for me. To me this is like the apple version of Rose Red, if that makes sense to anyone...

The drydown lets a bit more of the browned sugar come through- turning this into something resembling a apple cobbler...

I had some problems with recent orders and the wonderful Puddin' sent this as an extra in an order! :P

In the bottle: Strong red, wet apple, and sweetness underneath.

On my skin: Bright apple, reminds me of the apple in Creepy, and white sugar.

After a few minutes: The white sugar has moved to the forefront, with some light caramel, the apple has really receded.

After about 15 minutes: The apple has been totally beaten down by the burnt caramel. My skin amps foody, sweet scents fiercely. I thought the apple could fight it, but it succumbed.

Very nice. I wish my skin didn't amp sweets quite so much, I would love to smell like an apple cobbler.

But wait!!!! After about 1/2 hour, the caramel loses a lot of the burnt, and the apple pops it's head back in. Now I smell like grandma's kitchen!

Edited by oceandreamer001

SUGAR-SLATHERED CANDIED APPLE

In Bottle: Apple and caramel

On Skin: This smells a lot like Creepy on me but a bit more tart. I loved Creepy, it’s the perfect October smell. But sadly, apples aren’t one of my favorite notes. It’s nice, just not me. I wear Creepy when I need a candy apple scent, so I don’t think I need a bottle of this as well. The caramel is sweet and sticky and warms the scent nicely. When the caramel comes out more, it reminds me of a warm compote, like a apple cobbler or something. Very warm, sweet and sticky with a bit of spice. This is a great Halloween scent and puts me in the perfect mood. I’d love to use it as a room scent though. Strong throw and long wearlength.

I actually thought this was not going to work on me. It sounded like it would be one of those way-too-sweet scents. It is very sweet, but not icky. The apple and sweetness are wonderfully balanced. My first thought when I put it on was that it seemed like a combo of Poisoned Apple and Gingerbread Poppet. In fact, I layered those two on my other arm to compare. They're not really the same-Poisoned Apple has a much sharper, greener apple, and GP has more ginger in it than SSCA. So: this is a much smoother, creamier scent. It just got better and better, but then it faded away rather quickly. Sad.

bottle: fresh sliced apples dripping with caramel.

wet: whoa! apple overload! there is a nice faint caramel scent that is quite yummy-smelling.

dry: this mellows out to a nice crisp apple. there is still a hint of the caramel/sugar note as well.

this is a fantastic blend. i only wish i had a few more bottles...

i swapped my bottle of pumpkin cheesecake for this scent and i am so glad that i did.

this smells way better on me than pumpkin cheesecake (which is saying a lot because it smelled pretty good).

Sweet apple that dries down to brown sugar...what more can I ask? :P This is more of a red apple than a green apple. I often have issues with apple notes because of their acetone-sharpness, but Sugar-Slathered Candy Apple behaves itself well and softens quickly.

I do sense the similarity to Creepy, though I swapped my Creepy imp away last fall and can't do a direct comparison.

The apple is definitely stronger than the caramel, for me. In the vial and on my skin first up, I get apple most strongly. You can tell the caramel is there, but it's hiding. The apple is slightly perfumey - I haven't tried many other BPAL apples, but the ones I have tried have smelled like this too. It is pretty similar to Creepy, but not as buttery. It's not very sweet on me either.

When it gets dryer, the caramel does come out more, but the apple dominates the whole way. This is a fairly straightforward scent, and it doesn't morph much. The throw is on the smaller side.

While this is plesant enough, it doesn't really call to me - although I don't dislike it, I'm not a huge fan of the apple and I'd love a bit more caramel.

ETA: Several hours after writing this, the caramel came out more, which was nice, although I think I'll have to slather a bit more. The caramel is also more obvious in the throw.

ETA2: More slathering = mmmm! Especially after wearing it for a bit.

ETA3: I really slathered this on tonight, and omg yay. Gorgeous. Apple, with caramel hanging around it. I adore it.

Edited by dzurlady

In the bottle: it's all apple. I definitely get the sweetness, but to me it's more of the natural sugar of a sweet apple like a Honeycrisp with just a touch of candy-sugar.

Wet: Caramel! And nothing but! Mmmm, sugar. I love sweet scents.

Dry: The apple comes back, in a subtle way. It is so delicious, seriously. I want to bathe in this. I want to roll around in it. I want to go get some caramel dip for the apples I have in the kitchen. Anybody got a good caramel-apple pie recipe? :P

When wet this is such a strong, sharp apple scent which to me is quite similar to Poisoned Apple. After a minute or so though a sprinkling of sugar appears and a ton of caramel! Mmm.. this is exactly how I pictured it in my mind before I got it. Lovely sweet juicy sugared apple with the softness and stickness of caramel. *mouth waters* :D This scent really is exactly as the description says. The throw is good and it seems to be lasting well. Overall this is absolutely gorgeous and is so perfectly fitting for this season :P

I agree with the comparison with Creepy, minus the rum and the apple is much crisper and with a bigger bite. On the other hand, the caramel note soon comes to completely dominate on my skin, which makes me a sad little puppy since it is tooth-achingly sweet. It smells like I poured syrup on my wrist.

*sigh* This was so not meant to be. Bad skin chemistry, bad.

In the bottle, Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple is sugar and caramel. Wet on me, it's a green apple with a sugar base. Dry, the apple and sugar are about even. I love this stuff! It's so yummy.

This is fabulous.

I'm a huge fan of creepy, but I never wear it. It's one of those scents that I have a bottle of simply because every time I open it and sniff, I grin - I can't help it! This is in the same family. Nothing I particularly want to smell like, but a smell so riddled with positive memories that I can't let go of my imp. :P

creepy's bigger, stronger brother. this has loads of throw and a very sharp apple note, tempered by lots of sugar. the strongest of the inquisitions i've tried so far, this one isn't fading on the skin.

nice.

very, very sharp apple. Some caramel in there somewhere, and caramel never behaves on my skin. I have to wash this off.

Dammit! ((shakes fist)) oh well, one less thing I have to single-mindedly go after and collect...

Bottle: Caramel and sugar apple.

Wet: Caramel apple.

Drydown: The apple turns a bit greener, and the caramel fades a little. Up close to the skin, it's all green apple, but the throw is some seriously gooey caramel. Nom!

Dry: Up close, it's all but gone. But the caramel throw is still there, with a slight green of apple.

My rating: 4/5. :P This is AWESOME! Nom nom nom nom....

Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple - Oh wow, this smells exactly like a caramel apple! You know that very first bite of a caramel apple when you get a smidge of sticky sweet caramel on your cheeks and the juice of the sweet, crisp apple dribbles down your chin just a bit? That's what this smells like -- it smells like that first bite of caramel apple. It is mostly an apple scent with a hint of caramel. Apple almost always turns rancid on my skin and caramel usually turns into a burnt sugar scent, but the apple and caramel in this scent stay true on my skin for a good 45-60 minutes, at which point I start to get a bit of a plastic scent coming from my skin where I applied this blend. The scent is very strong for the first 30-45 minutes and about average after that. I am amazed at how true-to-life the caramel apple scent is. For people who love apple and caramel, I would strongly recommend this scent. If you loved Creepy, you'll probably love this one, too.

First of all, I really, really love the Lab's apple note, and that comes out crisp and lovely as usual in this blend. Second, the caramel-sugar scent in here actually behaves much more nicely than it often does on my skin. I don't get a strong burnt-sugar smell the way I do in Gluttony, Hellcat, etc. (I don't really mind that scent, but it tends to drown out all the other notes when it turns up.) This is a perfect caramel scent that's not at all burnt. Really delicious and I'm pleased that the Inquisition sent this one to me!

I'm updating my review for this because, while I really liked my decant, I've found that I'm head over heels in love with the bottle that I just purchased off of ebay. Maybe this just needed some time to age and settle to be even better than it was initially.

This is my favorite of this year's Trick or Treat blends. Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple is exactly what I had hoped Creepy would be. It's caramel apple dusted with sugar crystals (but not overwhelmingly sweet at all). It has none of Creepy's boozy, bitter, butterscotch-y weirdness.

Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple starts off with a great apple note – sweet and juicy. It's a bit of a sharp apple on my skin at first, but not in a bad way, just in a crisp sort of way. I'm a fan of apple scents as long as they're not perfumey and fakely sweet, so I like this. It smells crisp, cool, and airy.

In the drydown, the apple starts rolling around in some sugar and I get a bit of a caramel scent with a pure white sugar smell. :D

My boy actually sniffed this on me and said, "What is that? That smells amazing. It smells really fresh." This surprised me, because my boy hates caramel smells (says they're buttery and gross) and he tends to dislike fragrances that are really sweet. When I told him the name, his eyes widened and he said, "Wow. That sounds like something I would hate. The apple in that is really good." And the apple *is* really good and completely mellows out the sweeter aspects of this.

I'm so glad I finally got a full bottle of this after going through my un-aged decant (thank you, ebay, lol). :P

Edited by Tania

In the bottle - Slightly burnt, rich dark caramel and juicy red-gold apples. There's a hint of alcohol in there too, almost like a strong cider.

Wet on the skin - The apple is far more complex than I originally thought - there's not only a lovely rounded golden apple scent but a juicy green one as well, and I think there's a gentle, almost musky red apple too. The caramel note is subtle, and definitely a background player.

Next stages - A soft dark brown sugar scent begins to emerge a few minutes into wear with a very faint hint of cinnamon. Delicious!

Dry down - The sugar and caramel notes linger on for a long time after the apple has been cruched up. They're deep and rich, and not at all cloying. This scent would be wonderful in an oil burner or added to a scented candle.

Similar scents - If you like the initial warm, rounded apple notes, try Ladon. As far as the caramel goes, I've never tried anything quite like it. It's darker than Hellcat or Gluttony and not as syrupy as Bien Loin D'Ici.

Sugar Slathered Candied Apple

In the imp: apple covered in rum-spiked treacle! This is even more caramelised than Creepy!

Wet on skin: now the apple comes out in force, a crisp tart green apple with sugar.

Dry: ok, now this is a bit different to Creepy. In fact, this is a fusion of Creepy and Punkie Night. A sharp, crunchy and almost fizzy apple scent, a green apple as opposed to a red one, fresh and ripe but with an effervescence like an appletiser drink. Underneath that is the caramel, treacle, brown sugar, rum and other sweet notes. In here, the apple is dominant, in Creepy it was the other way round. But this apple is almost certainly the apple note that disagrees with me.

After a while: ok, the apple is doing weird stuff on me. It’s turning a little floral, a little sweet, a little mushy and, dare I say it, a little bit plastic. In fact, this seems to be hinting at air freshener, just like the apple in Possets Pippin did. Only this one has sugar added. Now I think Creepy, which I thought was over-caramelised, is the lesser of two evils when it comes to toffee apple scents that I’m not keen on.

Then it goes into that odd polystyrene and paper with apple air freshener scent I get with scents where apple really dominates, only this time with a hint of butterscotch or toffee popcorn. This actually smells like Possets Spook now, only much stronger-Spook was a bit weak on me, but this isn’t.

Verdict: apple, especially fresh green apple, is such a tricky note on me. Too much of it and the apple reacts badly with my skin and smells fake. Just the right amount and it can add a delicious fruitiness and another angle to a complex blend. Sadly, this is the former. Not even the caramel, another dodgy note on my skin, overtakes the apple. On a person with apple-friendly chemistry this would smell like gorgeous fresh green apples dipped in melted toffee. But I get an overpowering Styrofoam and fruit-floral scent with just a scraping of butterscotch. Not my thing at all. I prefer baked, spiced apple scents if I want something that’s apple-dominated. I’ll be swapping this off.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

The wonderful ladyjc swapped this to me... I was so excited to finally get my hands on it!

In the bottle:

Strong, syrupy sugar, mostly. Reminiscent of Sugar Skull, but not exactly like it.

Wet:

Thick, syrupy sugar with an undertone of apples. The apple gets stronger as it starts to dry down a little. A little longer, and I swear it's starting to smell almost minty.

Dry:

Sort of a soft apple-y smell, mingled with brown sugar. I think this one is a keeper. :P

Edited to add:

I wore this one today, and it is definitely as yummy as I was hoping it would be! Caramelly, apple-y, love. :D

Edited by n3m3sis42

Oh, SSCA, you make me feel mighty real. Green apples coated with sugar straight up in the imp, then green apples bursting from the skin. This effect mellows out and lays back with a caramel syrup p.o.v. No throw and doesn't last long, but I sure wish I had more of this one. The scent's so good, it's one of the few BPALs that has moved me to the point of hunger grumbles.

I just got a partial decant of this scent, after searching for ages. Oh my gosh, was it worth the wait.

When I was a kid, my parents used to take me to this cider mill on the Connecticut River every fall. The whole place had the most heavenly smell of fresh apples - and if my parents were feeling particularly indulgent, they'd let me get a caramel apple. That's what the first few minutes of Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple smell like - regression to New England childhood caramel apples. On drydown, it settles into a mellower apple scent, but it still has some of the same sweetness. Foody scents are hit-or-miss with me, but this is a definite delicious hit!

Time to find a full decant (or maybe more!) of this one. I'm going to want it next fall :P

in the imp: caramel and apple. the caramel smells real, but the apple is totally yankee-candle variety.

wet on skin: more of the same.

dry down: the candle wins :D

in all: this happened to me with fruitcake, too: for some reason, every now and again, a foodie BPAL leaves me smelling like a candle shop in the mall :P

next!