Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

What do bottles and labels look like?

So I have the ferris wheel bottle, which must be the original, but the decant has a hint of night air before it settles into the sweet funnel cake smell. So weird! I love them both but I kind of like my decant a bit better.

I wonder if it is just batch variation or if there was a different oil that was decanted as Midway? I have another decant that smells exactly the same as the bottle described as the resurrected version, and one that isn't listed as either original or res.

Yep - your bottle is the original - nice! That's one of my favourite labels :smile:

I think sometimes decants get labelled just as 'Midway' without the 'Resurrected', so it's possible that your decant is the Res. version maybe? Also - I've heard people say that oil ages more quickly in a decant than in a bottle (something about the smaller volume, can't remember now what the reasoning was) so that might be why the oil in your decant smells different to the oil in your bottle? But then you said that your decant smells more 'right' than your bottle.. so, well - I don't know! Curious and curiouser :D

Anyways - as long as you like them all, then it's all good! :smile:

PS I remember reading somewhere that the old(er) BPALs were more prone to batch variation, because the Lab did more small-batch lots back before they had the large customer base they do today, but I'm not sure how true that is... and I can't say I've noticed it in any of the old/older BPALs that I own.

My original bottles of 2005 Midway had the same labels as the rest of the first Carnaval series (the labels that showed the name of the scent, series and the jester skull). It got the ferris wheel label during its second run in 2006, I believe, and then the resurrected label when it was brought back for a short time in 2007/2008.

I've always thought that the resurrected version of Midway smelled different from the original. It has smelled more chemical-y/metallic on me with age. This thread talks about a lot of the 'variations':

http://www.bpal.org/topic/3142-different-smellscolors-same-perfume/page__st__525

Oh! That might explain it!!! Maybe my unlabeled decant is the original original, the bottle is the second run of the original, and the res. decant is the resurrected version.

That would make a lot of sense actually, because they all have the same base just a slightly different top note.

Does anyone know what the label artwork looks like for Lil' Menes' Feline Entertainments?

I know this is a super old comment, but I noticed the bottle hasn't been posted, so here it is in case anyone is still wondering!

91279260-7971-42c4-a1e6-2cc9a96f6fe8.jpg

It's slightly blurry, apologies for that!

I tried to get a picture of my Mopsfledermaus bottle, but for some reason every single shot turned out far too blurry to see anything. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm not so tired maybe!

Edited by Andalei

My original bottles of 2005 Midway had the same labels as the rest of the first Carnaval series (the labels that showed the name of the scent, series and the jester skull). It got the ferris wheel label during its second run in 2006, I believe, and then the resurrected label when it was brought back for a short time in 2007/2008.

Well far out, bean sprout! I didn't know there was an 'original' CN label style.. I don't think I've seen any of those in my travels! Thanks for the info, Little Bird :smile:

I asked about the bottle of midway up on eBay and puddin' said he didn't think he'd ever seen a jester one either. I would have bid a lot higher if it had been the original original, but that's okay, I'll hoard me decant and keep my eye out. I :wub2: this thread.

Edited by Caper

I really like the new design of the BPTP site and I can't wait for the BPAL site to follow suit. Having a picture of the bottle with the listing is so much better marketing. Just being able to picture what you're getting is a huge factor in buying decisions.

Do the Ars Draconis GCs use the standard GC label, or do they have a "special" one like Picnic in Arkham, Bow and Crown of Conquest, etc?

Do the Ars Draconis GCs use the standard GC label, or do they have a "special" one like Picnic in Arkham, Bow and Crown of Conquest, etc?

My bottle of Dragon's Heart has a black label. There's a red dragon to the left. "Dragon's Heart" is in purple ink off to the right.

Sadly I don't have a picture anymore and I sold the bottle, but my bottle of Dragon's Heart from 2008ish had a different label than the standard GC one. I want to say it was black with a stylized dragon on the label, but my memory is horrible, so I could be way off base.

AFAIK most of them look like this:

5240134094_8418dd9a78_n.jpg

AFAIK most of them look like this:

5240134094_8418dd9a78_n.jpg

Thanks! I took a walk through your Flickr trying to see if I could find it, but must've missed it. Awesome!

Thanks! I took a walk through your Flickr trying to see if I could find it, but must've missed it. Awesome!

No worries. It's under General Catalog at the bottom. I haven't updated photos for sooo long; someday I'll get off my butt and take more photos. :)

I keep seeing "what is the vintage" questions being answered with 2006 or later if the bottle is amber. Bottles were switched to amber before that time. Here is the forum link. :wub2:

I have a bottle of the original Jack, with modpodged label, in an amber bottle. It is from early 2004.

Edited by Finny

I'm working from home now, yay! So I'm trying to stay current with BPAL as it comes in, and I'll try to go back and get bottles that I never took photos of.

The BPAL/BPTP collections are here --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/miss_twilight/collections/72157606846994887/

and the BPAL Flickr Group Pool is here --> http://www.flickr.com/groups/bpal_fiends/

PLEASE feel free to add any of your BPAL related photos to the flickr group. Will call, stickers, happy shiny faces with BPAL, we wantses it all, precious!

I added Goblin Sack, Slipping into Madness, Agnes Nutter v2 (from SDCC) and Single Note: Burning Book (from SDCC) to the group pool.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Quick question, do the snakepits have different labels? I was going through past BPAL etsy sales and Cottonmouth looks a lot different than what the bottles I've been seeing on ebay. The bottles I usually see are hot pink with the snake on the right hand side. This is the BPAL etsy cottonmouth bottle I saw: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/132158804?

Quick question, do the snakepits have different labels? I was going through past BPAL etsy sales and Cottonmouth looks a lot different than what the bottles I've been seeing on ebay. The bottles I usually see are hot pink with the snake on the right hand side. This is the BPAL etsy cottonmouth bottle I saw: http://www.etsy.com/...tion/132158804?

My bottle of Cottonmouth is from '09 and it has the etsy label. I've had multiple bottles of a few other snake pits and haven't noticed any label variations.

Quick question, do the snakepits have different labels? I was going through past BPAL etsy sales and Cottonmouth looks a lot different than what the bottles I've been seeing on ebay. The bottles I usually see are hot pink with the snake on the right hand side. This is the BPAL etsy cottonmouth bottle I saw: http://www.etsy.com/...tion/132158804?

My bottle of Cottonmouth is from '09 and it has the etsy label. I've had multiple bottles of a few other snake pits and haven't noticed any label variations.

I've had bottles of Temple Viper, Death Adder, King Cobra, Western Diamondback and Australian Copperhead and they've all had the Snake Oil type label with their snake on it like that one on Etsy. Searching completed listings on Ebay for Cottonmouth all turn up that same label as well.

Quick question, do the snakepits have different labels? I was going through past BPAL etsy sales and Cottonmouth looks a lot different than what the bottles I've been seeing on ebay. The bottles I usually see are hot pink with the snake on the right hand side. This is the BPAL etsy cottonmouth bottle I saw: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/132158804?

Can you show us a link that has the hot pink label? I've never seen anything from the Snake Pit with a pink label. I have all of the Snake Pit in the flickr gallery.

I have the pink Cottonmouth you're describing. Photo:

PinkCottonmouth_zpsc2186bd8.jpg

The only other snake I know of having a label variation was King Cobra, and that was because the lab originally used a copyrighted image without permission, so they had to use a new label when the owner brought it up. Maybe the same issue happened with Cottonmouth, or maybe they went with a more accurate color/photo.

King Cobras:

KingCobras_zps7fe55181.jpg

Edited by Little Bird

I just got back from running errands. For some reason grandmother insisted I get her AXE deodorant (yes, for men) for her cruise. I see that the thread has exploded from my hasty posting. What I meant to post was that the other label I've seen of Cottonmouth shows a much more vibrant, pink snake and it's on the right hand side. Like the one Little Bird posted.

Thank you, Little Bird for clearing up the confusion.

And TwilightEyes, I'm envious of your snake pits. I'm slowly collecting them all

I just got back from running errands. For some reason grandmother insisted I get her AXE deodorant (yes, for men) for her cruise. I see that the thread has exploded from my hasty posting. What I meant to post was that the other label I've seen of Cottonmouth shows a much more vibrant, pink snake and it's on the right hand side. Like the one Little Bird posted.

Thank you, Little Bird for clearing up the confusion.

And TwilightEyes, I'm envious of your snake pits. I'm slowly collecting them all

aha. I thought you meant a pink LABEL. :) My Cottonmouth in the gallery has a pink snake as well. I used to do a lot of decant circles so originally I bought the whole Snake Pit for a circle. :)

I recently ordered two bottles of Mircalla from the Lab's Etsy site since I adore it, and they arrived with different labels than my original 2009 release. The original has the red label with the woman dressed in red. The two Etsy bottles have an entirely different label. I tested them to be sure they were actually Mircalla, and they definitely are. :wub2: I can't seem to resize properly, so if someone can fix the image if it's too large, please feel free. Here's a picture (sorry for my lousy phone camera skills). Original Lab purchase on left, 2013 Lab Etsy purchase on right.

Edited to add: I completely forgot that there were dual labels for this series!

a188218c7ddc8ed49a603cf225ab9c03.jpg

Edited by Poenari

I recently ordered two bottles of Mircalla from the Lab's Etsy site since I adore it, and they arrived with different labels than my original 2009 release. The original has the red label with the woman dressed in red. The two Etsy bottles have an entirely different label. I tested them to be sure they were actually Mircalla, and they definitely are. :wub2: I can't seem to resize properly, so if someone can fix the image if it's too large, please feel free. Here's a picture (sorry for my lousy phone camera skills). Original Lab purchase on left, 2013 Lab Etsy purchase on right.

Edited to add: I completely forgot that there were dual labels for this series!

a188218c7ddc8ed49a603cf225ab9c03.jpg

Quite a few of the literary vampires had two labels. The Girl, Sarah, Mircalla, etc. But it looks like you remembered that afterwards! :)