Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

What do bottles and labels look like?

Anyone have a picture of the Shanghai Tunnel bottle? I've got one coming and I'm curious since I've never seen it before. :)

Tried searching the forum and elsewhere and no luck. I've become a bit of a bottle collector, so now I'm excited to see the bottles and smell what's inside them. :lol:

Anyone have a picture of the Shanghai Tunnel bottle? I've got one coming and I'm curious since I've never seen it before. :)

Tried searching the forum and elsewhere and no luck. I've become a bit of a bottle collector, so now I'm excited to see the bottles and smell what's inside them. :lol:

There is one on flickr: shanghai tunnel

Now I know who bid it away from me! :lol: To the winner goes the spoils, enjoy your new smellies Penance :D

Love the Nutcracker bottles!

Me too!! I'm glad I have Klara, and I hope that a couple more of them work for me so I can keep the pretty bottles.

I'm not sure where to post this question.

Why don't BPAL bottles have ingredients listed on the label?

This may not seem sufficient, but, can you imagine putting (for instance) "myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk" on a 5 mL or imp label and still having it be legible?

EDIT: Actually "Through sunlit caves of ice, roses unfurl amidst dancing waves of serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine" is a better example. (Khubla Khan) Also, some scents do not have ingredients listed at all, even on the site.

Edited by Eyeska

I figured it was because everything in them falls under the blanket term 'perfume'. If you look as cosmetics or commercial perfume, they list everything that's not perfume and perfume. It's like just listing 'spices' on food, so that good recipes can stay secret and not duplicated. Since BPAL isn't cut with anything, I'm pretty sure they don't have to list anything.

Or at least that's my best guess.

This may not seem sufficient, but, can you imagine putting (for instance) "myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk" on a 5 mL or imp label and still having it be legible?

EDIT: Actually "Through sunlit caves of ice, roses unfurl amidst dancing waves of serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine" is a better example. (Khubla Khan) Also, some scents do not have ingredients listed at all, even on the site.

Oh, you misunderstood me, or perhaps I wasn't clear. Why aren't the non-fragrance components listed, for example: jojoba oil, almond oil, fragrance. I think it is important to know the carrier oil components, especially for people with allergies. I've been wondering about the carrier components since I get skin reactions to some BPALs and not others. Curiously, my skin reactions don't seem to have anything to do with common skin irritants such as cinnamon, cassia, clove, etc. because I avoid scents containing those fragrance notes. Listing carrier components is required for food and cosmetics. Ingredients that make up less than two percent of a food product can be listed under a general term, such as "spices," but I don't know what the rules are for cosmetics.

ETA: Many of the cosmetics I use have a list of ingredients on a separate piece of paper that is enclosed in the packaging, or the ingredients are listed on the web site of the manufacturer.

Edited by Delphinine

Does anyone have photos of the label art for Schrodinger's Cat? I've heard it's different to the GC labels and would really like to see :)

Oh, you misunderstood me, or perhaps I wasn't clear. Why aren't the non-fragrance components listed, for example: jojoba oil, almond oil, fragrance. I think it is important to know the carrier oil components, especially for people with allergies. I've been wondering about the carrier components since I get skin reactions to some BPALs and not others. Curiously, my skin reactions don't seem to have anything to do with common skin irritants such as cinnamon, cassia, clove, etc. because I avoid scents containing those fragrance notes. Listing carrier components is required for food and cosmetics. Ingredients that make up less than two percent of a food product can be listed under a general term, such as "spices," but I don't know what the rules are for cosmetics.

ETA: Many of the cosmetics I use have a list of ingredients on a separate piece of paper that is enclosed in the packaging, or the ingredients are listed on the web site of the manufacturer.

Ah! Beg your pardon, I did misunderstand. Sorry about that.

You might want to check out the essential oils/carrier oils thread, somewhere under BPAL FAQ, maybe? There's a fair bit of debate about whether BPAL even includes carrier oils. Here I'm defining carrier oil differently from "component of perfume oil." That is, I'm not sure that BPAL is blended by creating a scent and then cutting it with a scentless carrier oil, rather than blended to be a particular strength from the beginning - rather than blending as with essential oils and then diluting the final product, the components may be made differently, then blended. So the entire thing would be "perfume oil," rather than X% perfume + X% carrier oil. (If that makes any sense?)

ETA: This is the thread I'm thinking of, Are BPAL blends all-natural? - it gets at the role of carrier oils vs. other stuff.

Edited by Anna D.

I just got my order today, and included was a frottle with a black & white skull and crossbones on the label. No name for the scent. Anyone know what this is?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for my question, but I couldn't think where else it would go)

I just got my order today, and included was a frottle with a black & white skull and crossbones on the label. No name for the scent. Anyone know what this is?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for my question, but I couldn't think where else it would go)

It's Jolly Roger I believe :3

I ordered one recently and was confused when it arrived too, until it dawned on me that the skull and crossbones flags are called Jolly Rogers.