Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

What do bottles and labels look like?

Last year, all of the LE Yule bottles came with one of two labels: A brown scroll with script on it, and a picture label. It was about half and half from what I remember, and I think Krampus had 2 or 3 different picture labels.

So it's not really unique... sorry! But as far as I know, that's the first time they did multiple label designs for the same scents.

I totally didn't know that!

DSC00574-1.jpg

Your bottle of Satyr is legit & probably pretty rare now! Above is my bottle of Black Rose from 2003, so I'd estimate the bottle you have to be that age as well : ) Hold onto it, you've got a treasure!

Wow! I looooove that bottle! I can understand why they don't do the labels anymore--time-consuming and all that--but anybody know why they stopped using those bottles? They're adorable. Uh-oh, now I coveteth...

biz4brent, how does it smell? Do you have any that's more recent, that you can compare it to? (not urgent, I'm just curious...)

Its very pungent, but no I haven't had the chance to compare it with a more recent blend of Satyr, that'll certainly go on my list though. As for why I think they discontinued this style bottle, although its cute, its certainly nowhere near as secure as the newer apothecary style. Even in my little fragrance wardrobe, I'm worried it'll tip over and spill all over the place!

That's from before my time but I remember seeing pictures of those little cuties. They'd already moved on to the current bottle types by the time I bought my first bottle. My first set of imps had those tags on them though.

Wow! I looooove that bottle! I can understand why they don't do the labels anymore--time-consuming and all that--but anybody know why they stopped using those bottles? They're adorable. Uh-oh, now I coveteth...

Because the lab and its following have grown significantly since they used that bottle, it would be impractical and time consuming for them to use it now. They now utilize automated bottle filling equipment which is one of the reasons that they stopped offering the 10 ml bottles. Also, they use a fairly standard bottle that is easier to keep in stock. That said.......boy, it sure is cute. What a score! :P

If it was originally purchased from the Lab in 2003, it had to be EARLY 2003. I have imps that look like that (with the cork and hand labeled) but my bottle of Snow White 2003 is one of the next generation 'squat' bottles that came into existance right before the cobalt bottles in 2004 I purchased. Pictured here:

SnowWhite20032.jpg

I've seen the squat green ones before (thanks Morrighana :P ) and they're just too adorable, but the Satyr & Black Rose ones... eee!

have we coined "squattles" as a term for the old style bottles yet? :P i've got about four of those left i think!

One of my big bpal regrets is missing the ending of a ebay auction for a squat bottle of snake oil. It's the only one I've ever seen. It went for less than I'd planned to bid, too. I have the current label design in a 5ml and a 10ml, and one of the classic GC labels in a 5mls, and I would have loved to extend my collection with one of the old style bottles. That, and a tarted imp of it.

It's always cool to see the older styles, so thanks for posting. :P

DSC00574-1.jpg

Your bottle of Satyr is legit & probably pretty rare now! Above is my bottle of Black Rose from 2003, so I'd estimate the bottle you have to be that age as well : ) Hold onto it, you've got a treasure!

I'm guessing Black Rose has been discontinued since? I can't find any mention of it on the lab site or reviews here.

DSC00574-1.jpg

I'm guessing Black Rose has been discontinued since? I can't find any mention of it on the lab site or reviews here.

black rose is part of the rappaccini's garden line and thankfully is still a GC scent cuz i love it :P

Because the lab and its following have grown significantly since they used that bottle, it would be impractical and time consuming for them to use it now. They now utilize automated bottle filling equipment which is one of the reasons that they stopped offering the 10 ml bottles. Also, they use a fairly standard bottle that is easier to keep in stock. That said.......boy, it sure is cute. What a score! :D

What?! No house-elves to help out? No Oompa Loompas to pack orders?? Bummer. :P

That looks like one of the ones that were sold on sites like eyespyeclectics.com, years ago, -- maybe 2003? it was before i was collecting BPAL but i remember seeing them on that site (gothic clothing; i don't think it's in operation anymore). there were about a dozen BPAL varities including Wilde, Absinthe, etc -- a lot of the early ones -- and they looked like that. those are the type of tags used for imps back in the day too. at the time i thought they looked neat but i didn't buy any because i didn't think i'd ever have a use for perfume oils! :D

You're totally right about the vintage - eyespyeclectics seemed to do a big blowout of a lot of their stock on ebay before they closed too (or at least I think that is what they did since they vanished after that and their webpage which they linked to in their ebay profile didn't work).

I picked up a couple bottles Satyr and Villian that are the same as yours from ebay in late 04 or early 05. :D I remember bidding on some Embalming Fluid and just not winning it at the same time as well.

So they DO exist! Really! :D

I also have a bottle like this that I purchased off of ebay from eyespyeclectics. And I am sorry to say, LupaWolf, that I think I was the evil one that snagged that bottle of embalming fluid (unless they were auctioning multiples) :P

have we coined "squattles" as a term for the old style bottles yet? :D i've got about four of those left i think!

:P that's awesome! I have a squattle of the original Virgo - looks just like TheWitchingHour's squattle of Snow White. I keep it out of the regular herd (which is all alphabetical, natch, because hey, I'm a Virgo) because it doesn't fit in with all the other uniform bottles. I never got a clear corked bottle, though!

<snip>

black rose is part of the rappaccini's garden line and thankfully is still a GC scent cuz i love it :P

Thanks for that, I can't believe I haven't seen it so far! It sounds like my perfect scent, too. Wow, I'm glad I looked at this thread now!

*runs to edit wishlist*

I also have a bottle like this that I purchased off of ebay from eyespyeclectics. And I am sorry to say, LupaWolf, that I think I was the evil one that snagged that bottle of embalming fluid (unless they were auctioning multiples) :P

:D

No kidding! (I think they were doing multiples, but I kept forgetting to bid when I looked a couple times. Life got in the way back then!)

I love the Hellhound on my Trail label. I'd post it, but the guy had to borrow my camera for work today for a project they are working on. Granted, it was nice to see him this morning and get a hug while I am staying home sick, but I sort of want to take pictures of stuff around the house now since I'm bored and still sick.

Thanks, Deyja!

I'd love to see the art for Hessian Of The Hollow, if anyone has a chance to share a pic! I absolutely love the Goblin Rider bottle.

Do you have a pic of the Goblin Rider? :P

No, I don't...I just saw it in the East Cost Will Call photos.