Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

What do bottles and labels look like?

Nope, I have never gotten a cobalt bottle from the lab and I have a couple of bottles from the Mad Tea Party. I think that portalkat is right and those notes are just left over from before.

I do think the cobalt ones are pretty though.

Bah, out of date descripts it is. Ah well. The amber bottles are delightfully antique-looking, so I'm still happy. :P

Once upon a time, all BPALs came in cobalt bottles. Back in early July 2004, there was an announcement made that, due to problems with a batch of cobalt bottles, they were going to begin filling orders using amber bottles instead. The issue with the bottles appears to have been leakiness with a batch the Lab had received from a particular supplier, based on this post made in late May 2004, and the Lab had fallen way behind in fulfilling orders while they obtained new bottles from another source...I assume the switch was made to amber because that was what was readily available in the required quantity at the time. I don't recall if it was ever stated outright, but judging from another announcement at the end of July 2004, I believe that after that, the Lab began getting all their bottles from a new supplier.

Since that time, I've seen the occasional new oil arrive in a cobalt bottle, so I'm sure the long-ago quality issue is no longer a going concern. The new oils bottled in cobalt which I've personally received from the Lab have all been LEs -- the dozen or so GCs I've ordered in the past six months (from a variety of categories) have all been bottled in amber. I imagine the cobalt bottles get used for GCs now and then, though, at least in cases where the cobalt bottles happen to be what's on hand when an order needs to be shipped out. I don't know that the "presented in a cobalt/amber bottle" statement at the top of each category's page on the website is necessarily a hard and fast rule. As some people have pointed out, it may just be that the text didn't get updated on all the pages of the site when the Lab initially switched bottle colors, and I imagine that blends from every category would go into whichever bottle color is in stock in the event that the Lab runs out of one color or the other while awaiting the next shipment from their bottle supplier. I'm certain the color of the bottle isn't an indicator of anything unusual about its contents...if it were, I'm sure Beth or someone else at the Lab would have mentioned it at some point.

Edited by hadaverde

Not sure where to post this, but I'm dying to know if the Lab ever made 30ml bottles?.. There's one up for auction on Ebay and I've never heard of it before, so don't want to bid really if it's not genuine.

Somebody help, please!

Thanks.

Not sure where to post this, but I'm dying to know if the Lab ever made 30ml bottles?.. There's one up for auction on Ebay and I've never heard of it before, so don't want to bid really if it's not genuine.

Somebody help, please!

Thanks.

IIRC, beth had put some bottles up for auction on ebay awhile ago that were larger sizes with

a small amount of oil...she was cleaning house...perhaps this was a bottle someone won and now

they are auctioning it off....

Somebody help, please!

Thanks.

IIRC, beth had put some bottles up for auction on ebay awhile ago that were larger sizes with

a small amount of oil...she was cleaning house...perhaps this was a bottle someone won and now

they are auctioning it off....

Well I hope it is genuine..

This is what it says on the auction: "You are bidding on one 30ml bottle from the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. These bottles have been modge podged to preserve the label, as they are several years old. The oil is beautifully aged! Unfortunately while I love them, I have run out of creative uses and have decided to pass them on to a more loving home. I have tried to take a photo that would demonstrate the amount of oil left in each bottle. I would estimate Dana O'Shee to be just under 2/3 fullness. Get creative! Imagine having so much of your favourite BPAL that you could use it undiluted in a bath, as a room scent, or in a burner! There are very few of these bottles outside of the Lab itself so grab yourself a collector's gem. Please note I am shipping from London. International bidders are welcome, and insurance is encouraged as this item is obviously rare and irreplaceable."

As far as I know, the big bottles the lab auctioned off were not like the ones pictured in that auction. I honestly have never seen bottles like that but I am not all-knowing so I will refrain from passing judgment for now.

I'd just message the seller and find out where s/he got them. I think it is probably wikkidraven here on our forum, her etail site name matches the seller name on the auction.

Didn't ApCat used to get large bottles from the lab and then rebottle into 5mls?

Well guys here's where the bottles apparently come from:

"From the person who was originally slated to create Lab branded soaps, actually. She was never able to perfect the recipe and had life issues come up and so it never happened."

I don't know what to do.. :s

Why's that?

She already bid on it before asking here :P (Sorry to butt in like this :D).

I bought a 5ml of Pumpkin Queen from that seller with no complaints, they also have an etail store of the same name which I think other forumites have bought from before.

But I can't help with the 30ml thing!

"From the person who was originally slated to create Lab branded soaps, actually. She was never able to perfect the recipe and had life issues come up and so it never happened."

If I'm not mistaken, those are some of BlackRayne's personal bottles she had on LJ (Marketplace) awhile back. She had about 4-5 of theses 30ml bottles listed and Dragon's Milk, Dana O'Shee and Dorian were a few that I remember sold first (so maybe wikkidraven purchased these 2), there were pictures on her entry and these look just like them. The 'give-away' for me is the fact they don't have handwriting on the label's as Beth and the Lab's 30ml bottles DO have personal hand written names on the labels as I purchased one of the Lab's on Ebay when they were cleaning house.

If I'm not mistaken, those are some of BlackRayne's personal bottles she had on LJ (Marketplace) awhile back. She had about 4-5 of theses 30ml bottles listed and Dragon's Milk, Dana O'Shee and Dorian were a few that I remember sold first (so maybe wikkidraven purchased these 2), there were pictures on her entry and these look just like them. The 'give-away' for me is the fact they don't have handwriting on the label's as Beth and the Lab's 30ml bottles DO have personal hand written names on the labels as I purchased one of the Lab's on Ebay when they were cleaning house.

The bottles that they lab had for sale with the hand written labels were 4oz bottles (or 125ml) - not 30ml bottles

The bottles that they lab had for sale with the hand written labels were 4oz bottles (or 125ml) - not 30ml bottles

AHA! Good catch, Tramp! I just had my 4oz bottle out and was wondering why a standard Lab written label would look so 'big' on a 30ml bottle when in fact 125ml is MUCH bigger than 30ml.

>.>

Do ALL of the American Gods/Anansi Boys scents have that picture of the book? I realized I might be confused cause the only BOTTLE I have is of Mr. Jacquel and I assumed the book fit with Anubis... all the rest of mine are imps with fan designed labels.

>.>

Do ALL of the American Gods/Anansi Boys scents have that picture of the book? I realized I might be confused cause the only BOTTLE I have is of Mr. Jacquel and I assumed the book fit with Anubis... all the rest of mine are imps with fan designed labels.

yep, they do. at least, all of mine do.

Added my BPTP Mystery Room Spray and three Bath Oils to the BPAL Fiends Flickr Group. And the Steamworks imps. And some of the Pharm. imps. And a few more postcards.

I wonder if any of our Grindhouse ladies would be able/willing to post pix of their labels in the gallery? I'm making labels for a decant circle and am curious what the font looks like. :P

Thanks!

Added Carnval Diabolique Act I, II, and IV. Some various other additions: Black Opal, Dragon's Milk, Pink Phoenix, Dyan Moon, Ecstasy of True Love, and the labels and progress for my Carnaval decant circle that I'm doing right now.

Added Carnval Diabolique Act I, II, and IV. Some various other additions: Black Opal, Dragon's Milk, Pink Phoenix, Dyan Moon, Ecstasy of True Love, and the labels and progress for my Carnaval decant circle that I'm doing right now.

Thanks so much, TwilightEyes!

Do you have the ladies? Do they have the same circus font?

Sorry, I'm a total pain in the ass. *grin*

Does anyone have photos posted of any Good Omens bottles?

I own War, Crowley & Aziraphale already, but I'm particularly interested in Hastur, Ligur, Wensleydale, and The Buggre Alle This Bible. Thanks!!

Does anyone have photos posted of any Good Omens bottles?

I own War, Crowley & Aziraphale already, but I'm particularly interested in Hastur, Ligur, Wensleydale, and The Buggre Alle This Bible. Thanks!!

hastur and ligur share a label (they are both on it)

gohastur.jpg

And I don't have the others alone but here they are as part of a group shot

newblends-1.jpg