Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Hairy Toad Lily

Wet this is so purple and juicy and fun, but it doesn't take long for it to dry down to a soapy lily smell on me. Nice, but I'm not wild about it.

This one really does smell like purple! It's deep and sweet and kind of crazy. Definitely floral, but that's obvious. :) It wears sort of bright and very purple...how can I explain the purpleness?? As it dries down, it becomes a darker, slightly muskier lily scent. Pretty, but totally not my thing. Definitely fun, though!

This smells of fresh flowers, sweet and juicy. There is a dry grassyness in the background. I didn't test for too long because my husband has a lily allergy.

In the imp: yes, the purple sweet lily is there, as others have mentioned, but to my nose, there's also something more earthy in the background there, like vetiver, or another "dirt" kind of note. hmmm :think:

Wet On Skin: ok, the dirt/earth note seems to be getting replaced with a green grass note. it's a bit like the sap in Strawberry Moon '09 and a bit like the fresh spring grass in Lilac Wood. It's definitely "Clean" and while i'm fortunate that (so far) it's not going all soapy on me, i can see where others could have a problem with that happening. the scent is lovely, but feels precarious...

Dry Down: ok, weird. this did a sort of interesting and total morph. the grass dirt and basic lily is gone and what's left smells like a sibling of...Antique Lace. no, really. the floral is subtle and powdery, without becoming baby powder and there's that same nostalgic note of pale vanilla. Whoa.

In all: well, if you're in search of Antique Lace, you might want to get an imp of this and see if your skin chemistry is anything like mine! ;)

Super sweet and tart, like floral sweet tarts in the imp. On my skin, it's a little less intense, and the lily comes out more. We'll see what this does.

Wet: grape lollipops stuck in a bed of lilies covered in dew.

Drydown: green lily, pear, with purple grape lollipops. Interesting but not something I'll reach for.

Hmm..I'm getting lots of mimosa and just a hint of lily. As it dries I get a hint of a slightly tart green fruit, it could be green apple or pear?

Uh. This...sure is...purple. It does smell lily-like, sort of a pungent podweriness...it reminds me of the florals from Garden Path With Chickens. Except, like, MORE.

It's really, really floral and perfumey. Except it's the kind of flowers that my skin does not like. My skin likes many flowers, just not these ones. It turns it into bathroom cleaner. _Purple_ bathroom cleaner. Just kinda fake and chemical-y and bleh.

I was excited when I got this as a frimp, but I really ended up not liking it at all. It must have violet in it, because it smells exactly how Sybaris did on me -- bad.

In bottle: Very green and floral. I'm not really getting any sweetness from it, but it smells nice so far.

Wet on skin: Very strong greens. Almost smells like grass or hay, with lily in the background. Something smells odd about it, like mushrooms or earth or...chemicals? I can't decide.

Dry on skin: Starting to get a little tart. Violet always dries down to a yucky rotten hay smell on me, and that's what this did. I was left with soapy rotten hay. Yuck.

I can see this working on someone else, but definitely not me. I think I'll pass it along with my next swap :)

I got this as a frimp from Beth and after trying Zombi and Chimera I was eager to test this one out too.

Bottle: This is a blast of cleaner, like pin sole almost, it hits you with a strong lemon cleaner scent, but as I like to say you'll never know what you like until you try it. So on my skin it went.

Wet: Still a strong lemon smell with nothing else coming through, when ever I would smell this going through the day it just made me upset.

Dry Down: It starts to lighten up a tad but not enough for me to be jumping for joy, it still has the smell of a cleaner.

Dry:Once dry the lemon was there to say and a powder unpleasantly took the base for this scent.

All in all I didn't like this scent from the moment I smelt it, I think that I might swap it for something more pleasing but for now I will keep it calmly in my collection. Out of 5 stars I give it a 2

If a scent is purple and green, then it's this one! wub2.gif

Imp: Sweet purple grapes!

Wet: Grapes and granny smith apple. So, this is sweet, fruity, purple and green. Yes, that sums it up pretty nicely.

Dry: Purple grapes and maybe even white grapes. Definitely green apples. And there is a floral note like calla lily. Mmmm.. I don't like sweet fruits on me normally, but this one turns out great on my skin. Not as bubblegum-like as I has thought it would be. Must check how it turns out to smell in a couple of hours.

this didn't morph at all on me. It stayed a very sweet, wet, juicy purple flower. It smells amazing, and I had a few people ask what I was wearing because it smelled so good. Love it.

:::HAIRY TOAD LILY:::

From the Imp: Quite pretty! Stargazer this aint, but there is a definite bouquet going on. Purple is entirely appropriate, but Hot-Pink fits the bill just as nicely. This is also achingly, cloyingly sweet. At this phase, there is absolutely no mistaking this formula as fitting in with the "masculine" ideal. This happens to be very cutesy, very candy, very teeny-bopperesque. "Spotty" is also apt as an adjective. There is a playful, exciting, and cartoonish effervescence to this. A Wonderland kind of spotty. Admittedly, when first introduced to the notion of flora that had "Hairy Toad" attatched to it, there were free associations of quirk, weird, intergalactic life forms. This wouldn't get a raised eyebrow; there are nebulae of genius concepts that regularly show up in all categories. Hairy Toad Lily just didn't come across in the same way. This is just plain fun, just plain yum.

On the Skin: Hairy Toad Lily has completely lost it's candied edges and explodes in full flowered glory. This is stickily sweet stamen and succulent stem. There's something dirty here, too. Not in an unhygeinic way, more in a rich, organic, exotic way. This smells "imported" and "smutty". Hairy Toad Lily is a clutch of actinic blooms and freshly rumpled sheets. Hardcore, XXX flORAL sex. ;)

Hairy Toad Lily is pungent, perky, and refreshingly kinky.

On Her, this is a definite head-turner and causes the pulse to race unexpectedly.

He could wear this, but it wouldn't make much sense.

4 out of 5.

I always have such trouble figuring out how to describe scents in this category! There's a heady floral element but also definitely some green stem elements. Definitely Lily but not too overwhelming.

Imp: Sweet Tarts and cool foliage and a hint of petals.

Wet: Soap! But expensive, fresh, clean-smelling soap, with a big hit of pear and violet. It even smells a little grainy, like those French-milled goat's milk soaps sometimes do. And, even more weirdly, it's making my wrists sting a little bit, which almost never happens! Smells like a nice cleaning fluid.

Dry: A grainy, fruity, almost... nutty?... floral, with strong hints of pear and violet and, of course, lily. Pretty, but not my style-- although I may dump my imp in my homemade fabric softener!

In the bottle: At first, it's as sweet as candy, yet a bit lemony in the background.

Wet: Still sweet and cute, but definitively more floral and herbal.

Dry: It turned so subtle that I can't review it. I'm left with a powdered deodorant smell.

Verdict: Overall, this is a very light, delicate perfume... So light, in fact, that it disappears! Oops.

In the imp: Very purple and very sweet! It's a fruity lily scent (perhaps the fruit is a combo of a sweet apple and grape?).

Wet: Apple and lily. It's a crisp, green apple that has been bitten into... but then it morphs and it turns very green, like the scent of lilies and grass with an apple-y bite.

Dry: It has morphed again! Now, it's candy-like. I'm getting a sweet, purple scent, like artificially flavored grape candy, and then another candy-like powderiness, backed by a soft lily.

Verdict: Hairy Toad Lily was certainly an interesting scent experience on my skin, but the fake grape candy that I got in the end places the scent in the 'not for me' category.

Sweet, juicy lily.  Turns into creamy, sweet, soapy lily.  It smells like a really nice floral soap.  It's not a bad soapy.  

This started off as super fresh and green, like freshly cut grass, with something super sweet and pretty in the background. But it very quickly became soap on me (green scents tend to do that), and ended up smelling like powdered laundry detergent with a sweet background. If it smelled like it did when it first went on, I think I'd really like this scent. 

I am super fond of lily scents in general, they tend to be big and juicy and rich on my skin and I seem to amp the various lily notes a bit as well. I was very excited to get a chance to get my hands on a decant of Hairy Toad Lily (and what a name!).

In the decant: This is a very fruity and fresh lily, but definitely a lily! I get a hint of apple as some other people have mentioned, but in the decant the fruity juicy lily is the star of the show.

Freshly applied: A very fruity juicy lily, bright and crisp. There's a tartness and hint of apple to this that is very refreshing and bright. There's also some greenery to this, that's the whole lily plant, alive and growing, not just the cut flowers.

On dry down: This stays pretty true to the scent when wet as it dries down. It does develop a tiny touch of the slight spiciness that lily sometimes develops in a way that just supports the bright juicy floral nature of the scent to begin with. That hint of crisp apple that carries through helps keep it fresher and brighter. This may end up having to go on my list of discontinued GCs I want more of.