Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Hairy Toad Lily

Spotty, hairy, purple, sweet!

GWOO-HA. Big fat purple green plastic doom. Sugar, freesia, grape, and death.

Imagine a vinyl parade balloon of purple grapes, big as half a city block. Now, imagine that some terrible parade mishap occurs and it deflates directly over you, trapping you in a suffocatingly tiny space with a woman wearing way too much white-floral drugstore perfume. The grape is gone; only terror remains.

I think I'd like this much more if it were hairier and spottier, really.

Lobster Rating
better than: bastinado

woohoo, this is a tripper, what an odd scent this has, I like it though!

for some reason it reminds me of shrooms..

for me this on is more of a Mad Tea Party scent hehehe

I had wicked dreams when I fell a sleep with this in my face :D

looked up a picture of the weird flower and Alice would have liked it,

probably one of the flowers that started talking to her when she again asked herelf which way would be best to go :P

Imp age: A few weeks. Ish.

In the imp: Huh. This is very purple and very sweet... like it's on the brink of rotting.

On: "Spotty, hairy, purple, sweet" pretty much sums things up! That strange sickly sweetness remains, along with a medley of other notes that I don't recognize. Violets and grape, maybe? Whatever it is, it's definitely purple and hairy. I don't really know what to make of this one. After a half hour or so my chemistry starts pointing this more in the rotting direction.

Overall: I really wanted to love this one, just because it sounded so unusual! Unfortunately it's just a little TOO unusual for me.. particularly combined with my skin chemistry. :P However, I'm really glad I got to try it (thanks for the frimp labbies!) and will pass the hairiness on to someone who might like it better.

Color association: Deep purple, almost black

I didn't think hairy Toad Lily was that sweet...I really, really love it! :P

It's fruity and juicy in that very purple, grape way, without the bitterness that comes from wine. It's got a great herbal and green note to keep it from becoming too silly, and it never moves into that heady floral stage for me. It's one of the least "floral" botanic scents Beth has done. Thank you, beth!

Very wearable, and a perfect scent for autumn...or for when i finally run out of my beloved purple phoenix. Worth a shot for fans of purple scents!

a fruity, herbal floral. i’m not sure what notes, exactly, but it’s very green. like an herbal essences shampoo. i think there’s some sweet, juicy green apple… a hint of green grass… and then some kind of floral which i’m guessing is lily. over a period of a few minutes, the sweetness fades and it turns a bit soapy. it’s a pretty blend for fans of cheerful florals, but not really my thing.

This is indeed really sweet but it's also got a greenness to it that keeps it from being saccharine. And PURPLE, absolutely! Light, but long-lasting.

In the imp: Sweet and delicate.

Wet: It's light. I get some fruit and florals. It's nice and girly.

Dry: Gardenia. All gardenia. It's suddenly strong, soapy. When I put it on I had to dig my nose into my skin to smell it, but now, I can smell it all around me. It's bothering me. I have to wash it off. I don't like gardenia.

Overall: I like it in the imp and I like it when I first put it on. But when it dries I can't do it anymore. It's a complete change...a completely different scent. And I don't like it. :P

apple-lily? champagne grapes? not sweet, though. interesting! not be bottle worthy, unless i just want to complete my Garden... after the initial interesting apple-lily fades, about ten minutes in, it smells like a generic floral candle. kinda sad-making, i had high hopes for this.

This has lotus in it, doesn't it? I'm getting something that smells kind of like melted bubblegum-- in a really nice way, but it's lotus for sure! It's definitely sweet, but not really what I would call floral. There's a little bit of the kind of pollen-like smell that reminds me of Tiger Lily and Hell's Belle, but nearly as pronounced as in those. It also vaguely reminds me of the sweetness in Sturgeon Moon-- in that way where it smells like nectar, but not flowers. I think young girls would adore this scent-- it may claim to be purple in the description, but I see it as decidedly pink! Overall, I think it's too simple a scent for me.

ETA: I just recalled that when I made my boyfriend sniff the imp of this, he said "Something is wrong with that scent." I think I shouldn't wear this.!

Edited by PersephonesChild

wet, was like a grape now-r-later candy will some wet grass. On the initial drydown, I'm got more floral (smells like fabric softener). Very much a "spring-like" scent......crocus & hyacynth maybe. I definately get the "purple" interpretation. Spring purple flowers with some new grass......reminds me of Easter Sunday :wacko:

In the bottle – Something slightly berryish, but with a bitter, earthy undercurrent

Wet on me – An initial burst of flowers and then washing detergent

Dry on me – Mostly washing detergent, although it does dry towards a sweeter, almost creamy scent

Overall – I guess that this doesn’t work on my skin

In imp: sweet! Wow...and my skin amps sweet. :ack: It's like apple-grape concentrate.

Wet: Ok, evidently this is just another one for the The Lab is Weird and Wonderful files. The almost sickening sweetness tones down upon hitting my skin, and it's a nice mid-range floral with a sweet yet tart fruit behind it.

Dry: Lush, sweet lily, but still not too sweet. The fruit is definitely a tart (but not green) apple. This is beautiful...not my usual floral, but I'm definitely keeping the frimp!

In the imp: Very sweet with a bit of sharp greens in the background.

On my skin: Gardenia? I think? This has turned into a very sweet gardenia-esque floral.

imp: sweet, green and woody.

wet: this has a very fresh sweetness to it, a planty sweetness but there is also something sharp alongside it, also planty.

dry: i think this might have a touch of rose because there is a tiny hint of soapiness behind the bright green planty scent.

My first thought was "this would make nice smelling soap" <sigh> because that is how incredibly soapy this is on me. Sweet and soapy. To the swaps!

It's sweet, purple fruit and lily ...mainly sweet and soapy.

In bottle: herbal with narcissus and cypress on top. Wet: This smells like a cypress grove somewhere with narcissus and various herbs growing around. The ambergris is soft, but does lovely things with all that crushed greenery. It’s more floral than I like on me, but it’s quite lovely and very well designed and blended. Dry: Alas, it goes soapy, but that’s as likely my body chemistry as not, and the narcissus is lovely.

Inside the imp, sweet lily.

On my skin, this starts out very green.

There's lily and something a bit like plum about midway through drying phase.

This goes soapy on my skin as well one drydown.

Bottle Sniff Bruised granny smith apples.

Wet Bruised apples left in the sun on a hot day now morphing into a flower, Oh it's a lily.

Drydown If you like single note scents then this is a good strong lily, a little green, a little watery, a little dry in the way chardonnay is dry. I think I like it, would wear it on a hot sunny day when I go to the beach and wear a soft white cotton maxi-dress. It's a floral that doesn't go to powder or get cloying or sweet. Neither is it bitter like some white florals can be. Just crisp and clean and obviously a flower scent.

Very nice... :yum:

In the IMP it's sweet and herb-y green.

On me at first it's very lily/plum like.

As it dries it has hints of baby powder (a lot of scents have this effect on me) but has hints of nature and floral at the same time. I like it but not enough to buy a bottle ... LOVE the name!!

I see some other people have the soap effect! Glad it's not just me!

Edited by Lilly

In the imp: Grape nerdz.

Wet: Tangy! Fruity! Floral! Very playful.

Dry: Damp, wet flowers. Just after a heavy rain and hidden behind fat, plump, juicy leaves. And something juicy - like an overripe mulberry that you just cannot see.

After a few hours: Hmmm, I can barely smell it anymore. But my wrist smells soapy-clean. And not in a bad way, more in a "I just showered and used a really nice lilly and grape soap" way. I have no problems with smelling freshly showered long after I should!

Wet: Weird. It really DOES smell fuzzy, hairy, and purple. Maybe there's violet leaf in here? And actual violet flower. Gardenia too, maybe. Fruit for sure, grape and maybe even apple, perplexingly. The result does smell rather purple and unpleasant. Oh, there's fresh lily at the center of it all, with the healthy dose of "fresh cut green stems" that I usually get from lily fragrances, but there's a lot more going on than I would have expected.

Dry: There's still this weird fuzzy feeling that I can't quite place and is frankly weirding me out. The greeness of lily fades, leaving me with the visual image of purple flowers with hairy, light brown stalks. Within twenty minutes it gets less weird and more of your standard white floral, not heady at all. Before much longer it's poofed into light, clean floral powder without much throw.

Overall: Not as cloyingly sweet as I feared from the description, but after the initial burst of weird, it turned rather forgettable.

I am definitely getting the sweet, not sure what spotty and hairy is suppose to smell like, and the purple part must be the tanginess in there. Wet smells like a yummy sour candy and on my wrist, it's morphing between good scrubbing soap and something fruity/floral/ozone-y at the same time.

It's the day after and I'm getting something between one of those scratch and sniff grape flavors and pixie stick. It's not a complicated scent at all. Very young girlish, like single digits young girl. Not for me though.

I love the name and the description of this - even it doesn't look like it's much for me. It just sounds fun. I got it as a frimp.

In the imp: Actually lighter than I expected, and very friendly. Sweet.

Wet on skin: Clean grape, it was much sweeter in the bottle.

Drydown: Light, floral, springy, girly, but not cloyingly so - there's still an herbal backdrop and the grape remains clean. I expected a lot more sugar from this but it's actually not overwhelming. Surprisingly pretty for something with the words Hairy Toad in the title ;)

While it's a bit sweet, there's a bit of dampness and juciness there. Just enough earth to make it not sickening to me/on me. My beloved Xiu is the more smoky and less earthy similar scent, but I wouldn't want to discount this blend. A tiny bit of floral in amongst the ground scent (like lichen and fungus over muddy dirt) and it smells fresh and wafts quite nicely. It lasts through a bit of work and school and I'm actually getting pretty fond of it.

After this imp is gone, I think I'm going to get another one. I would say it's not really my kind of scent by descriptions from others or what it smells like in the imp, but I was very surprised! Great freebie and NO amber to be found (thank the gods) like almost all the other frimps I get.