Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Medici

The Phantom Wooer

A lifeless love song: stargazer lily, bone dust, tomb mosses, buttonweed, moonflower, and honey myrtle.

Yep. The first thing I thought of when I tried this on was men's cologne. It's not a bad smell just...not me. Off to swaps!

Firstly, let me preface this by saying that I am not a florals-girl. I hate florals, and florals hate me. I would never have picked this scent for myself, but it was a frimp and I pulled it out of my imp bag and stuck it on my skin before looking up the notes.

Colour me surprised! This is a light and very pretty citrus floral -- not too floral, not too citrus. The mosses are hidden in the background while still being present, anchoring the scent without lending too much to it. No bone dust that I can smell, which is a relief.

I really enjoyed sniffing this, it really is pretty and delicate. However, wearlength is short and just before the scent faded away completely I could definitely smell some faint soap. What a shame! The soap completely ruined the scent for me right at the end. Oh Phantom Wooer, you nearly made a floral-liker of me. Nearly, but not quite.

Imp: Citrus, lily and myrtle. Distinctive myrtle...

Wet: Where is that citrus scent coming from? Is it the moss doing it? I'd almost swear there's verbena in here somewhere.

Dry: There's a weird citrus note in here tempered by a soft lily and the myrtle. Myrtle is distinct and sharp and green on my skin to the point where it's borderline aggressive. This reminds me a lot of St. Germain, although less gentlemanly. Herbal, slightly floral and comes on strong.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: I think it's probably a lovely blend but my skin's uncommon fondness for myrtle makes the whole thing a little awkward. Happy to have tried it, will now rehome it.

This immeidately makes me think of a greenish mist; it's very hazy and ethereal but at the same time sinister; pretty hard to describe. I think whatever the "bone dust" is has that effect, and coupled with the night-blooming florals and murky mosses it really does evoke a phantom.

Interested to see how this turns out. In the imp, this smells like greenery and dust. On my skin, it's very green, very sharp. ...Ehhh. Time to get this off.

My nose ain't refined enough to pick out all the notes here but wet, it smells like soap but the soapy smell vanishes when dry and it starts becoming sharp lemon for a few minutes and the lemon goes into the background with a dusty (a little like talc?) sweet scent taking front stage. This is is the 1st 15 minutes of applying.

Not a strong throw for me but when you sniff at the wrists its quite distinct. The sweetness becomes more subtle as time passes but the powder aspect comes forward pretty strong, not bad but a little too much like floral talc for my liking to garner more than an imp.

Edit: Ok the smell becomes stronger and stronger till I'm very keen to wash it off, so maybe an imp is an imp too many for the wooer here.

Edited by ScentedDreams

This is powdery on me but not in a bad way. Not bad at all.

It's one of those scents that is incredibly cooling in the middle of summer. I'm reminded of cool powdery limestone with non-offensive wispy white flowers and some far-away citrus.

Beautiful.

The Phantom Wooer

In the bottle: Very green, which scared me, but thankfully but not bitter or sharp at all.

Wet on skin: Same. Smells like a florists’ shop – like foliage, a pale green, translucent scent.

As it dries: Sweetens – the lily comes out very clearly.

After it dries: From far away, this morphs into a lovely combination of nutmeg and dry cinnamon powder. Close up, this smells like soft, green lily with a sweetness probably from the honey myrtle.

Final opinion: I like this and I’ll keep the imp, but I don’t think I’ll need a bottle.

Initial Impression: mossy, dry, with a hint of floral in the background

On Wet: green and lightly floral

On Dry: a softer green, the floral is a little more prominent

Final Impression: still debating on whether I like this or not. I think I'll put it away to age for a bit and try it again.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 3 (for now)

Wet, a very 'green' floral. Kind of like a florist's cooler, a fresh green with lovely flowers. This is quite lovely, but more suited for spring weather to me.

When I first opened the imp and put it on I thought I was going to be in love. Soft flowers and night in early summer.

Sadly as it dried it turned to powdery grandma. Not baby powder but the nose tickling body powder older southern ladies still coat themselves in. If only it had stayed that first flush of cool flowers.

imp: mossy green,

wet on skin: reminiscent of ivy and leaves, floral but a green sort of floral if that makes any sense. like new blossoms maybe. so far i love it....

after about ten min: dries to a lovely light scent. really floral on me, but fresh and not grandma like at all. slight powder scent in here but nothing that turns me off yet...

final impressino: light, airy, and feminine. quite pretty and floral and i normally really dislike floral! i'm going to definitely give this one a chance and if i decide i like it enough after a few weeks worth of wear i'll certainly buy a bottle. :D

In the Imp (ITI): Stargazer lily jumps right out from the bottle and assaults my nose; however, the moss and buttonweed soothe me with their lush greenness.

Wet: Mmm, wet and lush greenness (thank you moss and buttonweed for becoming the star players). This reminds me a little of Velvet Cthluhu and Lush's Jungle together. As it's drying, the flowers' notes come out to play, but I wish they'd stay in the background.

Dry:IT gets very faint, very quickly. There is still a bit of greenness left from the moss and myrtle, but I don't smell any flowers. It's nice, I just wish it had more staying power on my skin.

First on, really strong, soapy detergent. This stage lasts about an hour, then the most gorgeous scent emerges, soft, sweet, fresh, powdery. I love this so much.

Very soapy when first applied, on the dry down the moss grew into the florals and it came out more earthy, but still soft and powdery with the floral notes.

tried this one this morning, and, thank the lord! the lab's dust notes always come out on me, and it couldn't make me happier. granted, after about three hours of work, the bone dust has faded into moss and flowers. it's a little close to soapy now, but juuust cold enough to be pleasant. also surprisingly complex!

As the name implies, it smells like something one would wear to attract a ghost. It has an earthiness to it, like sweet soil or something, but not overpowering or bad. There are some flowers there -- dead flowers? I can smell something that is probably the bone dust. There is an overall ghostly aura to it that's hard to describe. It's not a strong scent, and it stays close to the skin. Almost a skin scent. It didn't last as long as some others have. I actually like this one a lot, even if I can't think of many occasions to use it. It seems like something to wear when visiting old buildings.

First review, yay! Okay, down to it..

Origin: Imp ordered from the lab, in one of my first orders.

Initial: Ordered along with a lot of the funeral/death inspired scents as I wanted to try so many of them. I was hoping for a nice, gentle floral.

In the Imp: Green, like damp grass of a night time, and with a really light green floral scent in there too.

Wet: Stays green, it really reminds me of freshly mown grass almost even. The florals fade away a fair bit on my skin, which is weird because my chemistry tends to amp floral notes like nothing else.

Drydown: This just stays green, in a really fresh and sweet way, it's something I can see myself wearing in Summer or Spring. My skin has always turned perfumes just a little bit musky, and this one is no different.

Verdict: I like this, but not enough to get a bottle, sadly. It's undoubtedly a gorgeous scent, but perhaps on someone whose skin likes green scents a bit more :)

Edited by miishanyan

I got this as a frimp in my last order. It's now my favorite green scent, and I need a bottle. Wet, it's damp moonflowers, freshly bloomed at nightfall: lemony, in a way, yes, but not at all sour...distictively moonflower...I grew them for years and they totally tug at my heart. I smell their pallid greeness and can hear crickets...feel the humid air...walking home, breathless...in love with the shadowy, dangerous night, and excited by my solitude. The other florals are a faded yellow, and honey sweet. This moss note is divine: so velvety soft, earthy, and wet. I love how alive it smells, how floral, yet is a believable skin scent. The powdery drydown is a earthy, musky lullaby. It's to be my summery Whoso List To Hunt. Swoonworthy.

Edited by lookingglass

In the imp: This is hard for me to describe - I'm not too familiar with a lot of these notes. But my first sniff is of something dark and green and dirty, but then it immediately brightens a little - just a little - into a dark herbal.

Wet on skin: This is a bit nicer, a little more floral: stargazer lily or moonflower, maybe?

Dried down: Ok, pretty white floral now.

Throw: Almost none for me.

Verdict: **** I am liking this a lot more than I thought i would, based on the scent out of the imp. I might actually get a bottle of this sometime, but I don't know how often I would reach for it over my other scents.

In the imp: Moonflower, moss, bone dust & a little stargazer lily. I'm not familiar with buttonweed or honey myrtle, but I'd guess that was them in the background. Very ethereal. I agree with the first poster that it evokes the images of an overgrown cemetery garden for me!

Wet on skin: Weeds & flowers (moonflower is the only one I can pick out) with a hint of something haunted - ghosts, old bones & gravestones. Not quite an overgrown cemetery anymore, more like the overgrown garden of a haunted house that's next door to a cemetery.

Dry on skin: It's gotten cold now, like it's late at night. The weedy-floral smell has faded slightly (but is still there), as though you've stepped out of the garden & closer to the cemetery.

After a few hours: It's faded even more, but still there! It's a very ghostly, cold, weedy-floral scent. Still getting the cemetery & haunted garden at night feel from it.

Verdict: Matches the poem perfectly! This is a very, very, VERY cool & mysterious scent! It's not an everyday perfume for me, but I love it & can definitely see myself wearing it!

In the vial: minty? lily? moonrose for certain.

Wet: Green spike from the moss, or maybe the lily, they tend to get green on me. moss. creamy floral. clean aquatic? I am afraid I am usually at a loss for picking out florals, except I know that there is lily in here and it is creamy, green and almost buttery.

Drying: spicy, reminiscent of carnation, which I am guessing is the moss and perhaps the buttonweed or honey myrtle. There is a peppery note too, not black or pink pepper, similar to white pepper.

Later on the drydown: Mossy, reminding me of ivy leaves, faint nonsoapy florals similar to carnation and lily plus the honey myrtle adds a bit of honey like sweetness to it. Light throw (sillage) but it does persist. No wood or resin here. It is all moss, myrtle and florals. the florals are definitely of the predominantly white variety, but I get no dryer sheets here or soap.

Final thoughts: I really had to restrain not to wash it off! during the wet phase, but I rather liked the drydown. It lacks complexity and cough, cough resin to make me love it, but I will probably keep this little frimp. I layered it with a foody and I really like that, so I may need it for layering. I want to retest on a different day, as my skin chemistry can skew things...

Edited by sprout

In the imp: Unusual, pale floral.

Wet on my skin: There's an initial blast of something sharp and medicinal, almost celery-like. That fades in a few seconds, giving way to a green, herbal floral scent.

Dry: Once dry, this is a ghostly-light, ethereal, white scent. Lily, moss, and something dusty-powdery are the predominant notes in this. It's pretty and so very pale that I almost forget it's here until I get another whiff of ghostly white flowers. This scent is perfectly evocative of what it's meant to inspire!

In Imp: Hint of yellow. Sweet, strong carnation with violets?

Wet: Paint thinner with carnations and hint of violets.

Dry: Strange. Reminds me of oil painting. The smell of the paints mixed with linseed oil and paint thinner. Then, hints of grass. Turns into a lovely, oily, sweet grass. Still reminds me of paining but without the paint thinner and with the windows open and a hint of powder. Hint of sweet, clean musk. Settles into something beautiful. Walking barefoot though the grass in a long flowing white skirt. Soft. White musk? Bit of Vanilla? What is this flower? Moonflower? I need more.

Later: Absolutely f’ing LOVE!!! I’m addicted to whatever combo is left on my skin. Can I find this without the starting crap? Is it carnation and Egyptian musk?