Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Medici

The Phantom Wooer

A lifeless love song: stargazer lily, bone dust, tomb mosses, buttonweed, moonflower, and honey myrtle.

The phantom wooer smells of sweet florals with a hint of citrus in the imp. On my skin, the sweet florals continue lurking arround, while the sharp citrus note gets stronger, blending in and slightly overwhelming the other scents. There is a dusty feel to this scent too. The phantom wooer would have been a favourite if the citrus note had stayed in the background.

This one smells fabulously green and floral in the bottle.

I wish it had stayed that way, but once I put it on it turned into a sickly cloying "old lady perfume" smell. I was really hoping for a earthy, mossy smell from this but I guess that my skin just took some of the flowers and ran with them...

I really, REALLY hated it. I scrubbed it off.

The Phantom Wooer

In the vial: Immediate worry. I smell soap. Maybe a little lily. And I can smell the carrier oil.

Wet: Much less soap. A very faint faint floral is developing. And something earthy. The moss? and mint?!?!

Dry down: That very faint floral & the faint earthy scent.

This is a hard scent to catch. If I keep my wrist in one place long enough, then I can catch a whiff. But, it has to build up in the air to be smelled weird. I had been hoping for more, as I am fond of moonflower.

Wet -- Flowers and bone dust. Really, I can smell the bone dust. How does Beth do this? It is a very eerie note. The flowers are pale and languid smelling. I can’t pick out stargazer lily. It is truly ghostly.

As it dries -- The scent of lemon comes out and brings it back to reality. Just because it smells like something familiar and everyday the scent no longer seems so eerie and otherworldly.

Dry -- Lemon on a background of delicate, powdery florals. If I put my nose right to my wrist I can still smell the bone dust (actually this is probably the moss.) Very little throw. My skin eats scent so I would have to apply frequently if I liked this one enough to wear. It might be nice to wear to a picnic in Mt. Auburn Cemetery with cucumber sandwiches and lemon bars and powdery Victorian funeral cakes.

Wet on my skin, The Phantom Wooer started out as a clean floral. As it dried, the honey myrtle and tomb mosses took over. This is interesting but not me.

Wet: Lemon. Huh??? That's in there? Really?

Dry: Still a hint of lemon, but mostly faint, ethereal flowers--moonflower and lillies. An earthy undertone from the mosses. This is going to go powder on me quickly but it's very lightly pleasant while it lasts--especially with that lemon note, which I wish had a little more staying power!

Vial: Citrus with hints of dirty moss.

Wet: A very odd, faint calamine scent.

Dry: Still citrus-y with a hint of lily.

I'm going to have to get back to this scent and edit this. Methinks this review is adulterated by all the other scents I've tried so far. Time for a break!

WOW! I got a Frimp of this in my last order and it smells wayyy different than I remember it being!!! This is more floral, lemony... the last one I remember pierced of sandalwood and gave me a migraine.

However, it's still not a scent that I'm crazy about as I feel like I may still get a migraine from these notes...

I'm going to give it a try and might use up the imp but I won't be buying a big bottle.

In the imp, this smells sweet and soft. I'm not able to tell the notes apart, but the first impression is really lovely.

On my skin though, the lemon (why is lemon in here!?) comes forward. Ouch! Biting, sharp - I can only guess that beneath the lemon, there is the niceness I smelled in the imp. Go away, lemon. :P Sadly, it stays this way and doesn't change anymore.

I bet this is delicious once the lemon is gone after proper aging.

Wow, this really does smell like dust for the first few seconds. After that the florals are much more noticable than the dust, thankfully. It's slightly citrus-y too, but mainly I would say it's floral. I like it but I don't think it's one I'd want to wear very often.

a dusty, citrusy floral. surprisingly, the phantom wooer is not unpleasant to my nose, but it still isn't something i want to wear.

Imp: Musty floral. Like Arkham with some lemon thrown in. That's cool. I like Arkham

Wet: Still getting an Arkham vibe, but instead of woods, its citrus backing up the earthy florals.

Drydown: The florals hung around for a little bit but now it's almost all lemon. Not offensive. Just very meh.

Overall: Certainly not lighting my world on fire, but not a bad scent. I don't think I'm going to hang on to the imp since there are citrus scents that work much better on me.

A lovely white floral -- crystalline and dainty. I smell a bit of citrus, but only a touch, and as it dries down there's a light powdery note that starts to come out. Very pretty...a bit too nondescript for me, but beautiful.

This is a lovely frimp from the lab. A pretty, wistful and unique floral. Fits the description perfectly and lives up to the poem. This one is a definite keeper for me...feels peaceful and romantic with a darker edge. Nice!

Imp: light pretty floral

Wet on Me: Still light pretty floral, Possibly the moonflower

and honey myrtle

Drying Down: floral soap? Not getting the mosses or dust. Just floral soap

Dry: like clean laundry on the line on a spring day. A clean floral.

Not too heavy and quite pretty.

Hm, very manly...like a man's soap--I don't really get the flowers at all. Just green, slightly lemony soap.

Plain sweet and honey-heaven to part lemon gum drop to lemon and slightly sweet dust?

This is playing havoc on my nose because it changes every time I put it on!

It lingers in a slightly eerie way.

In the imp: I get spicy lillies, the myrtle (which I think gives the citrusy note?) and definitely the moss. It's sweet and bright and pretty.

On: more of the same, but it does open up and bloom. I actually really like this and may consider adding a bottle to my collection for when I want a beautiful and slightly wistful floral

Huh? Was this not supposed to be floral??

Alright, I get a very soft and subdued sandalwood cologne scent. Odd. But maybe the moss notes are responsible for that and I dont know what hides behind the bone dust, maybe sandalwood or orris? So to my nose this is manly in a soft way, not floral. But maybe Phantom Cologne is not so wrong for a Phantom Wooer.

This is a pretty floral scent for me. There's a slight bit of sharpness buried in there, too, but it's mostly just cloyingly floral. While pleasant, it's just not for me.

Imp: Clean soap.

Wet: Light citrus.

Drydown: This scent is very light. I smell mostly citrus with a hint of clean florals. I can hardly smell this. An hour later, this is a beautiful old-fashioned floral perfume. The citrus note has disappeared.

Overall: Very light scent with no throw. It's a pretty scent. Very "woman-ly". :smile:

In the Imp: Smells like gardenias (moonflower, I suppose). Next I get a wave of something that reminds me of lightly sweetened lemonade, which according to the other posters is probably the buttonweed or myrtle, combined with honey. Where most oils I’ve tried are quite potent in their containers, Wooer isn’t even overwhelming at this point.

Wet: Lemony, a clean smell. I’m amazed at how light this is. So many scents are like a slap in the face when you first put them on, but this has the mid-length throw most other oils only achieve on drydown. It’s interesting that if I catch a brief whiff I only get lemon, but continuing to take a breath I find the mustier bone dust/moss smell - like a ghost fading in and out of its shape.

Dry: Well, I’m still bathing in citrus, and only a tiny bit of dust at this point. It’s nice, but I wish the mosses had stuck around, and it would’ve been fun to pick up some florals like I did from the imp. Thinking about its name, when I imagine a “phantom” my first thoughts generally don’t turn to lemons… for me, not sure it’s really evoking its imagery. But this is pleasant and has just the right amount of staying power.

Verdict: Pretty. It’s fairly ethereal, so at least that aspect of ghostiness is spot on. I like it but I’m not going crazy either. I do, however, think it deserves more than the two pages of reviews it currently has. ;)

Rating: 3/5

I had no idea this scent would smell of lemon. If I'd known it had even the slightest trace of citrus, I wouldn't have ordered an imp. Blame my newbie status. I just read the description notes of stargazer lily, moonflower, tomb moss, bone dust, honey myrtle and knew I had to have it. I was expecting something earthy like Leanan Sidhe or Ulalume, but I all I got from the beginning was a weird combination of honey-lemon cough drops and mosquito repellant. :( No florals at all. No sneezing fit, though, thank God!

I received this as a frimp in my recent order.

It is a very pretty floral that does not give me an immediate headache or sneezing fit. However, it is not something I would wear.

Wet this is moonflower and lily on me. As it dries though, the moss comes out and deepens and gives this scent a little complexity. I was a little worried at first this would be too strongly floral, but it isn't, nor does it go overly soapy on my skin. This is a bit of a spring scent for me, and clean. Sweet but not cloying. It's pleasant, but not something I typically wear.