Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A shadowy shrine filled with forgotten toys, broken dolls. The altar: a collapsing trunk distended by a rotted wedding gown. The air of the room is dusty, laced with the scent of a child's perfume and the remnants of a dried, crumbling bridal bouquet: tea rose, violet, white sandalwood, French lavender, and Calla lily.

I'm not usually one for oils with as much floral as this one has, but for some reason it really works on me. Not overpowering...kind of a creeping floral scent.

My skin chemistry's antipathy to florals strikes again. Wah.

In the decant: smells like scary Jergen's Baby Lotion.

On me: smells like REALLY scary Jergen's Baby Lotion. Aiiiieee! I am going to leave it on and see if the drydown improves, but I think this one is destined for swaps.

Later: The drydown is very soft Jergen's Baby Lotion with a dusting of talcum powder. Wah. Oh, well. Glad I tried it, though.

Hmm..I wanted to try all the Haunted House oils...loved the concept and label artwork was gorgeous!

I have only managed to try 2 so far though hehe!

So...The Atrocious Attic is...yes..floral. But it's also another time that a floral has been completely different to what I expected. The other time was with "The Unicorn" YUM!!!. It's very soft, no lavender at all..Sandalwood? Nope... It's mainly the Tea Rose and Lily.

It does have a slight powder edge to it. And fits the description perfectly...A crumbling Bridal Boquet. I like it but I'd never have bought a bottle of this at all because of the scary floralness of it! It turned out good and have receieved a compliment from a co worker too.

Not a massive stand out scent but still pretty. It's clean and soft and I konw a few people who would like this very much.

This smells soft and floral without being sappy. It's a charming gentle dusty floral.

It smells like lace looks, and the color lilac.

Atrocious Attic is one of my most favorite blends and most coveted LEs. I love everything about it: The sadness and Miss Havisham-esque lab description, the awesome artwork on the label, and the scent itself. Though the notes are overwhelmingly floral, this is not a "Hey, you're wearing flowers!" kind of scent. This is subtle yet heady, a little old lady-ish when too much is worn but very young and seductive at its core. The sandalwood base with the beautiful blend of flowers is so perfect, it actually smells just like a sad old bridal bouquet that has been stored away for years. Man, how does Beth do it?

A forlorn floral blend. The white sandalwood keeps the florals from overwhelming the senses, while lavender gives it an herbal bite. It is soft, sad and utterly breathtaking.

I wanted to try all the Haunted House scents -- looooved the concept. The decant of this I have is probably not enough. Because I love this so much.

Normally I don't like florals that much. But I don't get florals from this, oddly. It's a scent that evokes feelings more than notes. I get feelings of old linen, dusty sunlight, broken china... This is just so beautifully blended and gorgeous. The most prominent notes to me are vanilla (huh?) and sandalwood -- I think that's what's giving it a certain warmth.

Atrocious Attic is soft linen and sandalwood - it really does remind me of Antique Lace. It has an ethereal muskiness to it as well. For me the throw is medium, but wear length is exceptionally long (all day!).

In Bottle: Soft, dusty floral.

Wet on skin: Still soft and floral. Lavender is sweet, and not medicinal, roses are not overpowering, violets are tame, sandal gives it a nice solid base. Lily is playing nice.

Drydown: AAAAAAAAAAAND, lily turns to soap. Dammit. I really want to love this, and all the other florals are lovely, except my nemesis lily.

Similar: n/a

Final Verdict: Lily hates me, that's all there is to it.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

This wasn't a blend I would have picked myself, as I am a foodie rather then a floral buff.

Florals always seem too 'real world' perfume to me. Then a decant landed in my mailbox, so I thought I'd try it.

On my skin, its all lavendar. I suppose from my intimate relationship with TKO v.3 when I was having insomnia issues, this note is clear. And like TKO's proto the lavender is sugary sweet. It goes on very nice but dries as a white lily floral. Its quite nice and *yawn* making me a bit sleepy too ;)

This review is for the 2012 version.

Atrocious Attic smells exactly as it is described: dusty, faded, dried flowers and the hint of a child's perfume and perhaps a touch of mustiness. If I huff my skin and close my eyes, I could be standing in an attic in front of a trunk filled with Victorian ladies' memorabilia and broken toys.

It's very pretty, but also slightly unsettling.

2012 version

This strikes me as an amazing blend of lavender, violet, and something magical. I'm not usually one for violet or too many flowers mixed together, but there's a mildly green element to this violet and the way it's blending with the lavender that comes across as naturally, effortlessly, beautiful. Going on the bottle list, for sure.

Florals usually give me an instant migraine, so much so that I can't even test them because it will just send me into a world of pain.

This, however, wow. Its creamy, light, and smells exactly like the description. I can see all of the crumbling flowers sitting atop dust caked lace.

Absolutely gorgeous and haunting at the same time.

This starts out as a soft lavender scent, it's not as floral as I was expecting and the sandalwood doesn't amp on my skin. After a while I can detect some vanilla, it eventually ends up being a soft, dusty and slightly floral vanilla scent. I like this so much, I ordered another bottle :wub2:

Attrocious Attic 2012 is very different than 2007 on my skin.

The 2012 version is more like a rose/lily-tinged lavender with hints of sandalwood. In fact, it reminds me most to the Mysterious Warning, without the leather component. There's something creamy, almost pillowy about the lavender.

So, in some ways like a spooky TKO, or straight up Mysterious Warning, sans leather.

(2012 version)

I was happily surprised by this one. Roses and lilies are generally Flowers of Doom, but here they are muted enough to be unnoticeable. I catch hints of the 'child's perfume,' over a gentle floral (mainly violet) and vanilla-sandalwood scent. If the violet had been orris instead (the difference is subtle but important for me), I would have grabbed a bottle in a heart beat, but as things stand, I think I'll have to bump this off the bottle list in favor of scents I know I'll wear more often.

This is everything I had hoped it would be. The lavendar is the most stand out note for me. I absolutely love this. My only problem is that after an hour or two I dont find it very strong. The wear time is very short, and I dont find it to have a lot of throw. Would be great to layer with a similar smelling lotion or something to prolong the scent.

In the decant: Another floral bouquet.

Wet: Much the same as on cold sniff.

The dry-down: Doesn't morph. Was hoping for more tea rose, white sandalwood, and Calla lily.

Dried flowers and dusty vanilla. I like this one, it reminds me a bit of Antique Lace, but not as vanilla sweet and more dusty with lavender. Hunting down a decant or partial it does remind me a bit of TKO and Mysterious Warning too as ZZ noted.

2012 version

I normally hate florals. But this is so pretty. Creamy lavender, sandalwood and soft vanilla are the main players here and on my skin almost a muskyness to it. I also get the tea roses. The only rose note i like and that works on me too. It does remind me a bit of Antique Lace. The "old" feel this has and i dont mean old lady, just that antique feeling, I really like it. I ordered a full bottle since falling in love w my decant. This is such a perfect example of how Bpal never ceases to surprise me. Based on the notes alone, i should not like this, but it works. And works well!

ITI: Soft lavender, violet, and sweet rose. It's rather pretty.

Wet: I get more violet, sandalwood, lavender, and rose. Oddly enough, calla lily, which usually amps on my skin, isn't present yet.

Dry: It's sweetly floral while bring pleasantly powdery. The violet, lavender, sandalwood, and rose are still prevalent after an hour of drying time.

This is weird, I am so not a floral person, but I picked this up (2007 version) on the cheap with an eBay bottle lot so I figured I'd give it a test.

In the bottle it smelled of slightly sweet dust.

On wet...yup, that's...sweet dust and...vanilla?

Dry down: ok, now it's a little floral...but mainly this is overly sweet dusty vanilla on me. Very very odd compared to others reviews...

Edited by Wren12

In the bottle, this is gorgeous. It's an elegant, soft and wistful floral that makes me think of those wonderfully kitschy Victorian greetings cards with pink-cheeked cherubs and tatted lace edgings.

Wet on the skin, it's a waft of the rose and something sweetly vanilla-like. No sense of volet as yet, which is good as violet is my Note Of Death.

As the blend dries, I pick up the dusty note that I recognise from Miskatonic University. This is almost a feminine counterpart to the gribbly academia of Miskatonic's hallowed halls!

There's not much throw - the blend stays cloose to the skin and develops into a soft, comforting and gentle powdery floral. I love it.

I love atrocious attic, to me it smells like really dusty vanilla and old violets. I also smell what seems to be old perfumed powder.

I can't stop sniffing my wrists. I'm so glad that I have a bigger bottle of it headed my way :D

2007 version (my label clearly says “Attrocious” fwiw)

Opening the bottle, it's stale and discolored white linens and a dried bouquet along with something that reminds me of sunscreen. Sharp and a bit headachey. On my skin, oldness is definitely present, but more in the vein of an old house than an old lady. An old lady’s closet, maybe, with dust particles floating in the sun.

It’s a teeny bit herbal soon enough, mostly dried flowers now, with lavender and lily the most obvious. Not at all sharp on drydown, very soft, though I’m still getting that just slightly chemical thing. Actually, once this is dried all the way down, it’s quite pretty and creamy, just sunlight and florals, no old smell at all.

A surprisingly winning blend once you give it a chance!