Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

BONFIRE NIGHT

Beer, woodsmoke, tar, and treacle.

In Bottle: Dark, thick smoke

On Skin: Yeah, this pretty much fits the title. I feel like I’m at an old highschool Halloween party, sitting around drinking in front of a huge fire pit. The smoke is thick, it burns my eyes. The beer is pungent, not liking it at all. I feel like I’m covered in soot. It’s great as a novelty scent, to remember back to some crazy days, but it’s nothing I’d ever wear as a perfume. It really does sting my eyes. The throw is crazy strong. I’m going to wash it off, so unsure of the wearlength.

In the bottle: Smoky and acrid - a rubber tyre burning on a pyre. A proper anarchist's Guy Fawke's Night in an abandoned car yard. Rather dangerous.

Wet: Hold on, you little minx, what's all this? Suddenly it is sweet and delicious - toffee apples before the syrup has set, eaten in front of a small garden bonfire with the full knowledge that it has been checked for hedgehogs and that we can go in and warm up soon.

Dry: And now I smell of the night we had Bonfire Night in the kitchen of a tudor house, in front of a great big fire with chestnuts roasting and popping, fudge bubbling in a heavy black pan. The scent of shunted centuries, melted sugar, sesame snaps, buttered tea-cakes, oaksmoke, newspaper curling up the chimney and nuts.

And?...: I like. A lot. It is staying with me for writing Autumn scenes and will be worn through this Winter and on our big town Bonfire Night next year. Gooooooooooood.

In Vial: Smells like toasted mixed nuts with a little sugar

Wet: Still smells nutty. Woodsmoke is getting stronger. Sweetness lingers behind

Drydown: Woodsmoke is the strongest, I smell the sharpness of the tar, it burns my nose a little. The sweetness is a little stronger and lingers in the back ground

This scent is very accurate to its name.

Edited by gchris

A lovely scent reminiscent of burning fall leaves back in New England!

It smells quite smoky, but specifically like burning leaves. Sort of a funny nose tickling scent, but during the day it lightens off to a bit of sweetness. Very nice and a great fall scent.

Possibly the most evocative perfume I have ever encountered. I've smelled it before, many many times. It's what I smell like when I finally roll into bed in the wee hours of the morning, too exhausted to even stand up anymore, still a little drunk, filthy from running around the backyard, thick smoke from the fire clinging to my skin and clothes, spilled beer, and bits of sticky marshmallow on my face and feet. (I don't know how I always get marshmallow on my feet, but I do. I know because then dirt and grass sticks in spots.)

I like this, and I'll keep it, because it makes me feel good. Besides, I have a new backyard fire pit with a chimney and now I never get to come in smelling like smoke! :P

I didn't get smoke out of this until almost three hours later, and even then it was more like ash. What it was up until that point? A black leather jacket. No treacle, no beer, no tar, just pure leather-tanning smells. Which is awesome in its own right, and I'm keeping it around for reference scents, though not as much for 'perfume' - but then I'm not into BPAL for 'perfume' as much as mental imagery-triggers (I'm a professional writer, what can I say? Unfortunately, BPAL doesn't count as a tax writeoff, though... :P)

I like it for atmospherics and stage-setting; but alas, my quest for the scent of a bonfire continues...

Edited by ChibiRisu

This is a lovely interpretation of a bonfire--I don't usually like smoky scents, but I did enjoy smelling this, though it is not something I would wear.

In the imp, very much tar and smoke. Wet and dry, tar, smoke, and treacle (a nice sweetness with the smoke, yummy, even.) Those three notes are very straightforward. I'm not sure about the beer, though there is a slight sourness during the dry down that could be it.

Very, very fall-like and very evocative of being at a bonfire...So, basically it is perfect for what it is supposed to be.

In the imp: Sweet and smoky

Wow, this is the ultimate autumn smell. (Of course, I say that every time I try a new blend from the Halloween updates, hehe). It's not a complicated scent - I get treacle in the foreground and smoke in the background. I'd love to use this as a room scent at a Halloween party, it is very evocative of that sort of scene.

At first I thought this was way too sweet, but now I have to keep it just to smell it on me- delicious caramelized things, no beer, and a bit of smoke. If you lessened the sweet and upped the wood it would be amazing.

ETA: this ended up being one of my favorites and I snapped up a bottle when in reemerged in 2012. The 2012 version has more of the woods/smoke and less of the candy, which is exactly what I wanted. Burning woods with a touch of dark sweetness. I love this!

Edited by Allumina

In the bottle, I smell smoky ash, with a hint of sweetness.

As it dried on my skin, it turned to all smoke/ash. I can't smell the beer note at all.

Not really the scent for me.

In the imp I smelled a coffee stand serving lots of hazelnut lattes :P

Once on the skin this is an extremely warm, cozy smell. Sweet with the smoke in the background. Right now this is just a very comforting scent that really lends itself to the imagery the description evokes. Really good time and place scent. Nothing about it sticks way out for me, but it's pleasant and I'm glad I have an imp!

Kind of foody - very appropriate for autumn.

I do love this scent . For those of you who have tried the new Rumpelstilzchen scent & found the smoke to be too strong , this may be the blend for you . This is all sweet , dark smoke . It really is a kind of boozy , smoky scent that is just marvelous . There is virtually no difference in this from the bottle to on my skin . It's a fairly strong scent with a strong waft to it . Not a fast fader either . Really nice & I hope it makes a return sometime in the future again .

Alright, this went sickly sweet on me. The beer was a little too "beer-y" as well. Overall, this was thick and smoky and sweet. Not really what I was looking for. I think the tar was taking on a slightly sharp tone as well. This just didn't work on me.

I wish this smelled like smoke, beer, or treacle on me.

It is incredibly evocative. It smells EXACTLY like a bunch of fresh carrots on me, carrots with the green tops still on them. I used to juice carrots and this is just like smelling them as they are chopped up and put into a juicer.

Amazing. But I don't want to smell like a bunch of carrots.

This is all treacle on me when it's wet. Like someone said before it's almost got a nutty sort of vibe. It's musky too and dare I say this...It reminds me a little bit of the wet stages of Storyville on me. I get that same impression. It's definately a foody sweet blend when wet. I'm waiting with baited breath for this smoke because right now I can't see it happening.

So far there is no..Beer or anything like that..

:whistle:

Oh yeah...the throw on this stuff is pretty strong too..

:whistle:

Hmm not much changes in drydown or when it's dry..it just gets less sweet, a little less musky and just is more of a faint treacle/brown sugar scent. I wanted smoke.. :(

Woodsmoke and caramel! The beer note scared me at first but this is actually really yummy smelling...not boozy or bitter at all.

When this dries it's almost like a single caramel note on my skin.

I'm glad I took a risk and purchased a bottle of this, it sure is great for layering!

Edited by Monster

Bottle: smokey treacle.

Wet on Me: woodsmoke for sure, tar…over the sticky of treacle. Very industrial smelling

Drying Down: more tar than treacle now and just wrapped in woodsmoke. Faint ghost-like whispers of beer in my nose

Dry: sweet tar and woodsmoke. A bit antiseptic. The beer took a hike. This is interesting.

Smoky, dark, ashy. Thick, black smoke mingles with tar and treacle. Not my cup of tea. Noy even for a room scent.

Anything smoky or woodsy in this blend is quickly swallowed up by a thick sweet scent that I'm assuming is treacle. It's reminding me of saltwater taffy for some reason. I really wanted to love this blend because I love the name and idea of smoke, tar and beer. I envisioned something dark and intense - this blend is surprisingly sweet and completely different than I thought it would be. Disappointing.

2012 version - much more smokey than the previous version I had tried, especially sniffing from the decant. It still ends up more sweet and fruity on my skin than I would expect, but it starts out much more of a bonfire feel.

Edited by strahlend

I really like this one - I can smell the faint smoke and the hint of syrup and the beer on the hayride (not sensing the tar, not quite sure what that smells like anyway). A keeper.

in the imp: light smoke, something sweet and nutty

wet: wood...and cigars. though only in the throw. close to skin it's wood and smoke

dry: this keeps morphing. first i get the wood and cigars, then i get smoke. then i get nuts, and now it's something sweet and vaguely smoky.

Sweet cinders and a hint of thick, spicy beer. It's actually not really strong despite the boldness of those notes, and stays kind of close to the skin on me. Rather like the ghost of scent that hovers after you've been sitting around a fire the night before. It's very comfortable, homey, and a little masculine-- but a not-too-serious, teddy bear sort of masculine. Really nice. :D

Initial impression: applesweet and crunchy leaves on the sidewalk, the slightly damp smell of the leftover wood in the firepit -- not the bonfire itself, but the perfect day to have one.

When I saw this brought back for the 2012 Weenies I knew I had to have one!

WOODSMOKE! I've had a hard time finding a BPAL smoke note that works on me. This one does even though it seems to fade a bit. I think I'm surprised how sweet this blend is. Must be the treacle, but it could be that the beer and tar are sweeter notes than I expected. I get nothing boozy or bitter from the beer. The scent is kind of warm, brown and sticky, with smoke flavouring. :yum: