Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
eleventhousand

Samhain Soap (by Silk Road Trading Company)

Truly the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

Water, saponified organic fair-trade palm kernal oil, coconut oil, soybean oil, organic fair-trade shea butter, castor bean oil, jojoba oil, sandalwood powder, Samhain fragrance, and alkanet powder.

I don't think I've ever reviewed something first!

Samhain has a beautiful paper wrapping with leafless trees and grave stones printed on it.

Dry: its scent is much mellower than the scent of Samhain oil.
This may start a riot, but it smells quite a bit like Hexennacht actually.
I'll report back after a shower...

In shower: its scent is very faint once wet, but the lather is creamy and delightful. A slight play-doh note can be detected in this stage.

After shower: just barely lingers on the skin. Edited by eleventhousand

Apple is the most prevalent note in my bar of Samhain soap. The fragrance of woods and spices trail through the air of an apple orchard at harvest time. In a nearby patch, the pumpkins await their jack-o-lantern smiles. Macha captured a portrait of the season in a bar of soap.

The powdered sandalwood adds a gentle abrasive that's perfect to help keep skin smooth as the air becomes cooler and crisper. I would imagine it would make a mild scrubbing hand soap too, though it would be tough to get it out of the vicinity of my bathtub. Samhain is my favorite BPTP soap so far. It makes me want to drink a full mug of hot apple cider, wear orange, jump into a freshly raked leaf pile and then go take a bath.

I love the scent, but the exfoliants that were added are just too much for my sensitive skin. I should've read the ingredients more carefully before I bought it.

this smells like samhain, well aged, and similar to my favorite vintage (04) i love bathing w/ this scent, i ise it on a poof to keep teh exfoiliants at bay, but the scent is worth the effort, i actually just placed another order this weekend so i can have more yummy samhain soap

In this soap I can smell the pure pumpkin note from the BPTP Pumpkin soap along with juicy apple. Lathered up, some wonderful woodsy and spicy notes come out. Like all the Trading Post soaps this lathers like a dream, and the Samhain soap is actually pretty scrubby, to my surprise - enough so that I didn't end up using the sugar scrub I'd brought into the shower with me. My favourite of the Halloween soaps so far :P

I finally tried my first BPTP soap! I was so excited that I'm still damp from the shower!

With mine, I noticed mostly the fall spices with a touch of the pine scent- not a fake pine scent, mind you, but a REAL walking through a grove of fur trees type odor. The pine part was very subtle and under the other spices, which I feel was very well done, so it wasn't like I was scrubbing with a hemlock bow or anything!

I absolutely loved how well it lathered up. I have tried some hand crafted soaps before and not been too impressed, but I had nothing to worry about with this one. I also liked the little scrubbie bits in it. I didn't notice them when I first opened the soap, but after lathering up my bath poof they were pleasantly perceptible. The lather directly on my skin was delightful, and the scrubbies were just right lightly abrasive like they should be, but not the kind that feel like sandpaper on your skin.

After my shower I feel very refreshed and happy. The BPTP soap has a lovely moisturizing quality, which I REALLY need up here in the Arctic desert. Even my hands and feet which are usually dry as a bone feel smooth and moist without seeming sticky or patchy.

The Samhain scent just barely is noticeable if I sniff my skin directly, which is nice so it won't overpower everyone in my personal space OR clash with hair product or other scent I may decide to wear later on.

I don't think I am able to stress enough how lovely and soft my skin feels.

I will be VERY sad when I use up this soap, but I am also eagerly waiting to review the other Halloween soaps which are my original foray into any of the BPTP Bath products and Silk Road Trading Co's soaps... (In other words, Good Gods Girls! You've got a soap convert!!!)

So brown, so scrubby, so spicy, so splendid! Samhain is the perfect fall scent. It's like smooth spices and leaves. It smells kinda dirty (in a good way) and leaves me so very clean. It doesn't smell like soap at all - it smells like Autumn infused with my skin. I am so sad I only bought one bar and now they aren't available any more. Ah, but I will enjoy it so much while it lasts!

Very spicy, very warm and strongly scented. I love how it instantly puts me in a fall mood. I LOVE the exfoliants, always need those! And they're small enough to not scratch the skin. A beautiful soap and a beautiful mood. The apples and clove are very comforting, the pumkin and other spices are sweet and tasty... I want to snuggle with this scent!! In a warm shower it chases the cold autumn air away.

fantastic scent in the soap, and such a lovely color! I'm happy to be able to enjoy the samhain scent in soap form, because the cinnamon's just too much for my skin in the perfume form. In contrast to the other reviewers, though, I'm not excited about the scrubby twigs...I'd have preferred a smoother soap. But still, very nice!

i never thought of reviewing the soaps, but dur.

dry very apple-y samhain, more apple-y than the apple-y-er oil blend this year as opposed to previous years. as apple is my favourite bit of samhain, this is excellent.

in the shower ouch! scrubby! i usually use soap directly on skin, but this is much to scrubby for that and i do not have sensitive skin at all. this actually left a patina of circular scratches all over me. the rule for this one on me is washcloth only. (ouch!)

after shower the fir needle bit sticks around most of the day as a gentle waft that only i can smell. paired with the oil? this is my personal paradise.