Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

Event Horizon

A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin.

In the imp: Sweet, incense-y, and resinous. I think the notes I'm getting are the black orchid, opium, and opoponax, but I'm not positive.

Wet: I am getting the sweet, black orchid along with some really potent opium, with the labdanum and opoponax lingering behind those notes. It is disconcerting, almost like static.

Dry: The sweet, black orchid note continues to reign, followed by the opium, but the opium has calmed down significantly, and the labdanum is more noticeable.

After a while, I am getting the black orchid and cola-like opoponax along with the sweet benzoin note, with some opium and labdanum in the background.

Verdict: This ended up being a lot sweeter than I was anticipating, thanks to the black orchid. Orchid isn't really my cup of tea, but those that enjoy the note should give this one a try, despite the heavy notes listed here.

I like Event Horizon much better than Darkness, which I tested yesterday. The opium is still strong, but the blend does not become as cloyingly floral as it does in Darkness. After playing a big role in the opening, the orchid is content to let the opium and resins take center stage. It's still sweet -- it's that lovely syrupy opoponax and vanilla-y benzoin -- and dark and heavy with good wear length, but it's not so oppressively floral on me. This one is a keeper.

They mean it when they say this scent is disorienting. It is BIZARRE. It's all jiggly yellows and goopy browns. Opium opium opium! A tiny bit of opoponax.

This is not resiny. This is not smoky. This is the feeling of sticking your hand in ooblek. 

It's not a bad scent, it's just so utterly bizarre. I've hung onto it for years just because...what is this? What is this?

Oh I had such high hopes for this. So many notes that I like, or think that I like. I generally like lotus scents, I like another oil with black orchid, and I love oppoponax and benzoin in resin form.

Smells lovely in the imp! I think it's the black orchid I can smell, it's familiar, a dark rich floral.

And then I put it on me and ah yes, this is also familiar. I'm getting resin, under a thick layer of the blue smell you get in portable/airline toilets. Mmm, delightful.

Aha. When I smell my wrists at more of a distance, the portaloo smell isn't as bad. Instead the notes tame down into more like what I was hoping for. A bed of sweet, delicious resin, with deep purple and slightly powdery florals over the top. Even the florals seem sweet. It's actually quite lovely.

At an acceptable distance, that is. This is one I will be careful about sticking my nose directly in.

Wow... This is sorta like if the power 80s opium perfumes were remade with natural oils and minus the cloud of carrier alcohol and the punch of oudh. The opium leads but doesn't scream.  A warm slightly vanilic backbone of benzoin balances the heaviness. A dark purple floral dances on top. Dark, smoky incense, purple and very pretty. And I'm not terribly keen on florals either. I don't think I'd reach for this a lot, but for special occasions it would be really nice. 

Wear this swanning around the house in your best floral silk robe, gossiping on a princess phone. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

This scent takes me & my wife way back when we first got together. I don't recall how I obtained it, but I had a small black bottle of Donna Karan perfume. She put it on all the time. & Event Horizon smells just like it. I love it so much.

Edited by Rane.

Event Horizon:

Wet: Contrary to the description, this is a bright floral grounded by a beautiful balance between benzoin and opoponax. It has an appealing tangy-spicy-resin smell on first application.

Dry: Strikes a lovely, warm balance between the orchid and the richer, more incensey notes. The orchid is reading almost like gardenia to me, but not as sweet or as reminiscent of whiteness. The opium and labdanum are definitely there, but nothing in this blend is dominant. It’s all a perfectly cooperative play between the floral note and the various resins.

After 30 minutes: It has faded considerably. No staying power at all on my skin. But that might not be a bad thing, since I really like the blend (unusual, for a sweet/floral fragrance) and it might be the right thing to wear when you want someone to want to get closer to you… I’ll consider possibly getting a full-sized bottle of this one.

Deep, dark, incensey, and heavy on the opium. Agreed with Supreme Cort that this has a very 80s opium perfume vibe. As it wears on my skin (we're talking over the course of hours; this has staying power), the opium calms down a little and the benzoin comes out more, making the scent just a little softer and sweeter in a way that almost reminds me of sweet tobacco. Not sure if I'll hang onto this one -- maybe for special occasions -- but it's much heavier than my usual style.

Love all these notes, love dark vintage-leaning incensey scents. Event Horizon delivers. Smooth, seamlessly blended, deep, inky, and heavy. It's slightly floral, along the lines of Black Lotus or Morgause -- floral enough but the incense and resins outweigh the floral. Event Horizon reminds me of something I've smelled before, or is in the same genre as those heavy floriental vintage perfumes your grandmother wore. Strong throw and average wear length. It morphed very little during wear. This one's a keeper for when I'm in this kind of mood.

I love how dramatic Event Horizon is when first applied, it really is a lot to process. Black orchid leads the charge with opium riding shotgun. Then after it dries down, the labdanum and benzoin draw a soft sweet black velvet curtain over everything. 

Very, very dark and resinous, but without being excessively incensey. There are floral notes, but they're not light and delicate in the way you usually envision when you hear the word "floral". The opium is fairly prominent, a little more so when I'm wearing it, but otherwise it's no different to how it smells in the bottle. I find the scent doesn't change much as it dries either. It's the darkest scent I've tried so far, and it's one of my absolute favourites.

I have a really, really old bottle of this. I don't remember when I got it, I just know that it's many years old.

Event Horizon is moderately floral, very resinous, and VERY STRONG!!! I put on a bit too much this morning and it's been aggressively invading my nose holes all day.

I agree with the review a few posts above relating it to Black Lotus. It has a resemblance, but this resinous black hole doesn't have the bright and playful lotus to throw you a rope. The closest this ever gets to giving you a sign of light on the other side is the vanillic benzoin that hangs just on the edge.

I wouldn't call it disconcerting, but I also think that the "Nosferatu" scent is sexy so ymmv. I do agree that Event Horizon is very heavy, with a syrupy kind of sweetness. And given how strong it is and how long it lasts, it suits the name because once you put some on, you're not escaping it any time soon.