Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

Event Horizon

A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin.

Source: Lab imp

In the imp: Dark and smoky.

Wet: Spicy, smoky and a wee bit floral.

Drydown: Something astringent is lurking in the background. Warm, spicy and sweet, but that oddness is growing.

Dry: Opium and floral like whoa. Chill out flowers, mama wants some more of that dark stuff.

Overall: Interesting, but more floral than I was expecting on my skin. I will have to retest before delivering a final verdict.

In the imp: sweet, yet very dark.

On the skin: It.... disappeared? Was not expecting that due to the strong scent in the imp. Maybe something is wrong with my nose. I can still smell a slight dark floral (black orchid?), but for the most part this scent has vanished on my skin. I am going to go get a second opinion really quick....

Well, the SO says that it smells spicy and that he likes it a lot! I will have to test it again to see if I can smell it better, but overall I think that this one might be a winner!

I'm unsure of what opium smells like, so I don't really know how to describe Event Horizon, really. XD I received it as a frimp the other day and am trying it out right now. It reminds me a lot of a place in Camden that I go to - I think, the indoor market. As it's progressing on my skin, it's actually turning quite nice, though while I was busy doing things I did forget I had it on and stopped to wonder if I had washed my hands because of the strong scent of Imperial Leather soap. D'oh.

Aside from the slight soapyness that I only get if I'm far away from my wrist, when I actually sniff my wrist I can smell something more complex.

I'm surprised by this! I didn't think I would like it that much.

In the imp: A dark spicy scent, resiny. Can definitely whiff the opium.

Wet: Spice and resin. Don't know enough to pick one thing out. Can smell that there are flowers in some whiffs.

Drydown: It sweetens and I lose both the opium and the florals. It's a smoky sweet vanilla that's taking over--it's not bad but not as complicated as I was hoping =( Powdery and sweet. Not quite as bad as amber on my skin, but not pleasant =/.

Dry: Powder and sweet. Yuck. Do not want.

Imp: Yes, overwhelming. Dark and heavy, very resinous scent.

Wet: Something disconcertingly fresh and floral about it. I think it's the orchid, which isn't a scent I'm familiar with. Spicy and warm yet with the opium it smells like it should be clashing and yet it doesn't. Love a good bit of benzoin though.

Drying: Cools a bit but it smells rich and smoky, like afterburn. The floral fresh scent has strengthened on my skin and in the background it smells a bit musty and spicy. I like it a lot more now.

Dry: I like it the most now. It smells like sitting in a really old church with a vase of exotic faded old flowers nearby. Still rich and absorbing - I can't just sniff it, I have to take a deep breath of it.

In bottle: Richly sensual, despite the faintly medicinal ebb. This is mostly opium and orchid in the bottle. Wet: Softer on my skin. This is a classic women’s perfume designed for seduction. Very not me, but absolutely lovely and well blended. The opium/orchid combination is exquisite. Dry: It is softer and more insense like. Still lovely, but less overtly sexual.

I loooove scents like this, I'm surprised it's taken me so long to get to this one. The floral note is heady and heavy, very languid, the opium is very strong but not bitter, the spices and incense hold it together perfectly. It is very heavy.. but I like that, it's like being covered by a warm soft blanket

Dark, mysterious, thick resiny florals. It's spicey and it is kinda heady, but not in a tropical/lush floral vibe. More like a heady resinous floral with spice and sophistication. It's beautiful, not neccessarily bottle worthy, but I'll enjoy my imp.

with all the blends that i've tried this month that went bad on me i was actually sort of concerned that this one wouldn't work too.

in the imp: dark. it reminds me of a lot of the blends that i normally like, but their younger sister- this reminds me in tone of torture king, erich zahn, st. john's eve- heavy spice and vetiver with a much lighter upper note

wet: same

dry: are we sure that there isn't vetiver and/or a smoke note in here? because this is another that smells like ritual bonfires. there's something sweeter underneath that's doing its damnedest to come forward though, which would nice. i would be pleased if it just stayed like this but i'd love a variation off of my normal theme.

In the imp: Has a cologne scent. I happen to like that. Plus it has a spicy, resin smell.

On the skin: Nice. But it's starting to have the head shoppe smell to it. Probably the black opium.

Dry down: Sweet, spicy, and headshoppy. I really don't get a lot of floral. Hummmmm........very interesting.

Mmmm.

First impression in imp and wet was of deep smoky amber.

This is the opium scent I've been hoping for! Smouldering, dark, thick as molasses, soporific sludge of awesomeness.

Yuck.

It is dark, heavy, a cloying, thick smokiness and it almost had a similar effect as Troll. But I quickly washed it off before it would make me puke.

Event Horizon

In the imp: Thick, dark, heavy, smoky. I don't like orchid or opium, but it was a frimp, so I gave it a whiff anyway. It's really not my style though and I'm actually afraid to try it on my wrist, because these tend to cling and not go away even after scrubbing.

curious. i don't have a lot of references for the notes in here other than opium and orchid.

when i first put event horizon on(without the notes list in front of me) i was certain i was getting a very faint smoke note. i definitely am getting a very strong opium note with other incense/ resinous notes below. i get a very faint orchid in the background.

i smell like our local head shop.

I accidentally dropped my imp on the floor and half of it spilled while I was trying this. :( Now my room will probably be smelling like event horizon for a week - which is fine, but it might confuse me when I keep trying out other scents in the following days.

Anyway, on with the review.

Opening the bottle: I don't know what opium smells like, I got a smell that I could describe as dark, heavy, and church-ish, but I think it is the opium.

On my skin: That same smell takes over and stays there without morphing - maybe not noticeably, I was kinda busy with my spilled oil at the time.

Cooldown: Same smell, still. It reminds me of church (same with my brother, also what is it with me and church smells?), but judging from other reviews it must be the opium. I also get a hint of smoke at some point. If it had a colour, it would be amber.

Not bad, and although it died down almost completely 4 hours after application, 7 hours later I could still get a very faint whiff if I sniffed my wrist hard. And surprisingly enough, it was vanilla - the benzoin, I guess.

Overall: Not bad, although blood was darker and heavier than event horizon - I would have expected it to be more aggressively dark.

This was a generous freebie!

It smells like thick, sweet opium tar. As it wears more sweet dark resins emerge, with a rich orchid note floating over the top.

This smells like what I would expect a Black Orchid Incense stick to smell like.

It smells like royal purple.

In imp: spicy dark sweet resin

On Wet: dark earthy, spicy, high-note florals, slight sweetness

On Dry: sweet dark, smoke, slightly soapy

This blend has promise, I have to try it on again. There are many blends that turn soapy on me, or maybe my nose is picking up something else.

In the imp: Heavy, heady, strong and smoky, the opium and resins are predominant, though I do smell the black orchid.

Wet on skin: Black orchid, heavy opium and incense.

Dry on skin: The drydown ressembles somewhat Snake Charmer and Mme Moriarty on my skin (minus the plum in both, though I do smell a bit of red plum even though it's not listed in the notes - it must be my funky nose), it's a resinous and smoky blend, almost fruity on my skin. I don't get the orchid note at that stage. No soap, no powder either. It's gorgeous! I need more...

Final thoughts: I somehow received an imp of this amazing scent a year or more ago and ever since the first sniff I've wanted a bottle (which I sill haven't gotten, though I always wonder why when I break out my imp - I blame the LEs). I love you, you underrated blend. You are marvelous and resinous and sexy and powerful and you age well and you have an amazingly good throw and I could smell myself all day. <3

Try if you like: Snake Charmer, Mme Moriarty, Minotaur, Oblivion

Event Horizon

On: It's hard to get a grasp on what this smells like. It's sort of elusive. What I can catch is a very dark scent.

1 hour in: Much stronger. Lots of opium and sweet flowers.

3 hours in: The benzoin is strong and incense-y. This is still very dark with a bit of sweetness. Very pretty.

6.5 hours in: Powdery, sweet, and dark. Definitely an incense scent still.

Overall: I think this is really pretty and it works a lot better on me than I thought it would.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

I didn't think to try Event Horizon for a long time thanks to the orchid. The other notes are good ones for me, but I don't like florals. I suppose that orchid is one of the less off-putting florals out there (along with lilac and honeysuckle), but it's still not a scent that I enjoy the smell of. But I saw Event Horizon described as a headshop/occult store kind of scent and immediately had to try it. Thankfully, the Lab is psychic and included a frimp of it in an order I received a few days later. :D

First sniff:

In the imp, this isn't doing much for me. I can smell the orchid, although I wouldn't necessarily identify it as orchid. It's just a perfumey, heady floral to my nose. The other notes are here, but they're mingling with the florals and getting lost in the jumble.

Wet on skin:

Even more floral than in the imp, but I seem to amp florals, so that might just be me. It's a heady, intense floral. I wouldn't say it smells dark. In fact, it smells more like some sort of white flower to my nose. Luckily, the resins and opium are putting in a stronger appearance, too. At this point, this doesn't smell like a headshop or occult store to me. It smells like an expensive, very well-blended classic perfume. Very womanly and lush.

I like Event Horizon at this point, but I don't love it and I'm not sure that I'd wear it more than once in a blue moon.

Dry down:

Now this is what I was hoping for. Evidently, Event Horizon just needs some time to settle down when it's on my skin. The florals slowly die away and about half an hour after I apply it, I'm left with a sweet, resinous swirling opium and incense blend. It's like a cross between a high-end occult store and what I imagine an opium den must smell like.

The bottom line:

This is so pretty. It's gender neutral once it dries, but it somehow still feels womanly to me. It's got the same sort of mysterious seductiveness that aged Mme. Moriarty has. I love that this is a sort of more seductive, elegant version of the scents that I typically wear. I'd wear Event Horizon with a t-shirt and jeans, but it wouldn't be out of place with a sexy black dress and stilettos.

How has it taken me so long to find and review this? At first application, it was a lovely dark cola scent. I don't amp opium, so all the oils play nicely together. The orchid smells somewhat like vanilla.

This turns into a light-intensity scent after a little wear. My only complaint is that it's a bit one-dimensional, flat.

Hades is similar in feel, though that scent is more of a floral to me.

In vial: Thick, cloying, almost medicinal.

Wet: The unique powdery feel I usually get from opium shows up, dusky but nice.

Dry: Dusty, dark resins with a touch of bitter labdanum stay on my skin, close and sweet.

Verdict: The throw is good, but the overall 'feel' just clashes with my personality too harshly for me to wear this perfume. If you're looking for a blend that is sensuous, dangerous and a bit unsettling, give this a try!

First off, Event Horizon is a nice scent to wear on a stormy day.

While wet, I get swirling opium and juicy florals. Definitely a dark, but hazy impression.

After drying for awhile, the scent is smoky and sweet in a way that appeals to the gourmand in me. I would describe the weight as oppressive, but it's not a sad feeling; it's more like that awesome feeling you get when you know you're about to fall into a refreshing sleep. In fact, Event Horizon makes me want to curl up and take the most delicious nap.

The juicy florals are still swirling around, now with a resiny aftertaste accompanying them. I completely love this element of the scent; if this is black orchid, I'm hooked.

Finally, I'm getting an impression of scorched tree bark in here. I know that sounds odd, but it's the only way I can describe it. It's faint, but mysterious.

Event Horizon is utterly beautiful. Even though my usual scents are either foody or pretty, I'd happily wear this one on a regular basis. Probably at night, or on stormy days.

Event Horizon-

In Bottle: Strong, perfume-y but not sharp.

Wet: A dark, but not sharp, perfume. I had thought this would be musky but it's not; it's quite heavy, though. Sweetness is coming out.

Dry: Dark and sweet but not too sweet. Not a dry scent.

Overall: Not the kind of thing I usually wear but interesting! I may want to try this again in the future.

I've never gotten any other opium-based smells - this one was a freebie so I have little comparison for a lot of the ingredients - but what they all amount to on me is a really heated, sexual smell. This is the smell that wafts off the skin after hours of cavorting in the summertime: thick, hot, luxurious, and stunningly similar to... well... sexy human. I have smelled sexy-human smell on myself and forgotten I wasn't wearing Event Horizon!

Needless to say, when I went back and read the description, I was pretty surprised at the mood intent - this is a bedroom smell through and through! :lovestruck: