Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

Event Horizon

A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin.

i thought i could get around the opium in this, because as far as i know, all the other notes work on me, however, the opium is pretty prominent, so it's adding a sourness to the scent that i am not enjoying all that much. i basically can smell the opium, orchid and opoponax. it's resiny and the orchid adds a nice subtle hint of floral...i love orchid, so that's why i picked this one up. i might wear this occasionally, but opium tends to turn on me, so probably not all that much. Edited by Shollin

I was pretty sure to like this and jumped straight to a bottle when I saw one offered for swaps. However, I should make a note to myself that blends with labdanum just don't work on/for me.

Like theseagrows and a couple of other reviewers have put it, this smells just a bit sour. Let me add that it also smells a bit bitter and stays kind of 'flat' to my nose. I recognize this scent from other blends with labdanum, and have enough good experiences with opium notes to totally blame the labdanum for this.

Event Horizon also reminds me, like yeahbutnobut, of Schwarzer Mond, another incense blend with labdanum that didn't work for me. I had hoped for something a tad more like Darkness, which I love dearly, maybe a bit smokier than that one. There certainly is some similarity, but I definitely prefer Darkness over Event Horizon.

This one will have to go travelling again! :P

Wow, I love this scent. It's dark and kind of heavy, yet still wearable. Languid and decadent. The opium and opoponax (a form of resin) notes really stand out, but the orchid is apparent too, and that adds femininity and sweetness to balance out the resins. It almost smells musky. It's a beautiful winter scent, and I'm already halfway through my first bottle. If you like Schwarzer Mond or any of the darker/more incense-y BPAL blends, you will love this. I like Event Horizon *better* than Schwarzer Mond, as that one's a bit too masculine on me.

Event Horizon

I'm afraid I can't even point fingers at the notes in this one. It was heavy and dark. That's about all I can say about it. I don't think many of these scents work well on my skin because it was just a funky smell coming from my wrist. I'm afraid I'll have to pass this one. :P

This dark --- smoky and incensey without the grounding bases of patchouli or sandalwood. It reminds me to an interesting and arcane headshop... you never know what you're going to find inside.

In the bottle –A high note from the orchid, backed by the rich spicy resins

Wet on me – A kind of ozony fizziness made dark with the resins and edged by what smells like orange peel

Dry on me – For a while it smells like unburnt incense, but gradually it warms and sweetens becoming a sensual amalgamation of the resins

Overall – The dry down is a glorious thing, and this blend stays strong on my skin for upwards of 16 hours. This may well become a favourite

Oh yuuummmmmmm........

Event Horizon smells exactly like the beautiful drydown of Languor on me, but without the 25 minutes of hideous burnt plastic to get there.

I can't stop smelling myself.

Wet I got a lot of a sharp scent that I misidentified as lavender because I wasn't looking at the notes. Is it the opium? I haven't smelled it in the other opium scents I've tried. Anyway, whatever it is it dries down quickly leaving behind a swirl of scented smoke and the sweetness of flowers. This is not a sweet scent on me at all, but the florals do keep this from going all-male on me.

Others have described this as a head shop or magic shop scent, and I do get that because of the incensey drydown, but since there is no sandalwood or patchouli here this doesn't ring my new age alert system bells like so many other incense based scents.

Like others, I was dying to try this because I'm a physics geek. But I also have yet to find an Opium blend from the lab that doesn't work on me in the end (not counting the first half-hour of Languor I guess), and this is no exception.

Very Nice.

Tzi

Huh... I really can't smell anything with this....no, wait, there's the faintest hint of something. But I have no idea what it is.

Ugh. This scent wants to be more...I can tell there's more here, but I just can't smell it.

I was worried about this one. My experience with Opium Poppy was less than stellar, and I was worried this would turn hair-sprayish on me like Opium Poppy did.

Yay, it doesn't! The poppy is a heavy, drowsy, slightly powdery note, just like the poppy incense I love, and it blends perfectly with the resin notes. I was guessing it was myrrh, but looking at the note list, it makes sense that it would be a sweeter resin, because this doesn't have the bitterness myrrh can have.

There's something cozy about this scent. Sexy and mysterious, but also warm and comforting. I like it.

I bought this unsniffed from the lovely Mrs. Black.

Bottle: Strange. Sort of soapy but pleasantly so. A lot cleaner than I anticipated. Undercurrent of sweetness.

Wet: Oddly clean. Light and fresh on my skin. WEIRD!

Dry: Smoky, sexy, and all around a great scent. This dries down to a vaguely incense-y, sweet, enveloping scent. I've been on a big The Caterpillar kick lately and this is the sultry, take charge Caterpillar.

Throw: Really good.

Overall: I'm glad I took a chance on this one. A great addition to my incense-addicted ways.

Huh. This smells like dragon's blood. It's a light floral with a touch of sweetness. I get just a HINT of the smokiness some of the other reviews reference, but... it's mostly just dragon's blood. Weird. As it dries, the notes in it come forward- I can pick out the orchid, for example, and a little teensy bit of benzoin- but my nose is still insisting that it's dragon's blood SN on my skin.

In Imp: Surprisingly light spicy floral smell.

Wet: Sweeter floral spicy smell, slightly stronger.

Dry: Ohh, this is getting stronger and stronger. Heavy opium, incense but with a sweet tinge to it.

Verdict: This morphed dramatically on me. It started very light and ended up a dark heavy scent. I felt like it was sucking me into a vortex (in a good way :P ). It certainly made me feel as if I was disappearing into a dark place. I really like this one. I don't think it will end up in my top 10, but I may try in again as I found it intriguing and compelling.

Marks out of 10: 7

Interesting scent. It starts off very dark and heavy. I think thats the opium coming out. Before long, a bright scent comes out, that reminds me a lot of eclipse. It smells like liquid light! Lovely scent, lasts a fairly long time, with moderate throw. As it dries, that bright scent continues, and it scares away all the brooding darkness of the opium and the other deeper notes.

Oh this is fabulous! Lots of Opium, dark resins, and dark orchid. I have to get a bottle of this!

Yeah, these are the resins from Schwarzer Mond. This smells so dark and sexy. This reminds in a way of Dark Delicacies with its resins and orchids, but with lots of opium smoke.

Gorgeous!

My poor little nose confused the benzoin for tonka in this at first. The black opium is nice, makes a change from that very red smelling sweet opium that I'm used to in BPAL perfumes. Black orchid, don't have any idea what that is supossed to smell like, but this isn't a heady floral like orchid usually is. Mainly this is soapy benzoin, resinous, dark, incensy and warm.

The only note in here I'm familiar with is benzoin (which I like), so I never would have tried it if I hadn't been frimped. It's dark, sweet, smoky, resinous & woody -- I don't get much floral out of this, other than a sort of dark, sticky sweetness. A bit too heavy/masculine for me (I like citrus, green, and fruity florals) but it's fantastic on my husband. Smells very warm, dark and a bit dangerous on him -- and very very sexy.

I bought an imp of this because people said 'if you like Minotaur you'll like this', and at first I really didn't like it -- it was too flowery and sharp.

However, I just tried it again today, about six or so months later, and it has mellowed into a wonderful, dark, resinous blend. It really does have similarities to Minotaur, and I think I will have to buy a bottle or two to age along with my Snake Oil.

It's sweet, dark, and incensey. My advice to incense lovers is get an imp and try it -- if you don't like it at first, put it away and try it again in six months or so.

Got this as a frimp, dabbed it on, and fell into gibbering lust as the amazing smoky resins just bloomed up off my skin. Dark, bitter, and rich. Subtly sweet. I'd have never known this had a floral note if I hadn't just read the description; it's very well-blended.

Reminds me somewhat of Fenris Wolf, Lycaon, Schwarzer Mond...it's got that same resiny menace that makes me imagine crushing somebody's still-beating heart beneath the sole of a very expensive leather boot. :P

Lobster Rating

better than: stepping in liver by mistake

This is delish. Reminds me quite a bit of The Music Of Erich Zahn ajowan, vetiver, black musk, opoponax, mimosa, tamarind.

Alas, it also doesn't last very long. Only traces remain in the afternoon.

This scent is such a morpher. At first it just smells sparkling and benzoinic. Then is smells like tobacco. Then it comes this opium blend that seems to encapsulate all the scents...it's moderately sweet, and quite dark. I like it, I'm just not sure it's me.

In the vial: Smoky and sweet. Oh boy, I can't wait to try it!

On me: The orchid comes out to play, harnessed by the smokiness of the opium. This is amazingly beautiful - a dark floral, its sweetness tempered with smoke. Languid is a good way to describe it. Other adjectives that come to mind: heavy, heady, elegant, gorgeous! :P

I had to order an imp of this as an astronomy geek, and I am very happy that this is going to have a spot on my bottle list! :D

whoa, this is heavy. a heavy, dark, smoky fog of opium and various burning resins. it’s so strong, practically oppressive, and yet there’s so much beautiful sweetness from the benzoin and opoponax and of course the opium.

the orchid isn’t noticeable at all for several minutes except as a vague soapy note in the background, but it becomes more recognizable over time.

i’m having a conflicting emotional reaction to this. on one hand, i think it’s gorgeous in a ceremonial, somber, church incense kind of way. i’d love to attend a mass that smelled like this. on the other hand, i think it’s totally sexy in a powerful, masculine way, and i can’t wait to slather it on my husband! definitely one of the most unique bpal blends i’ve ever tried.

imp: opium.

wet: very heavy opium and orchind. this is thick and very strong.

dry: this dries to one of the strongest opium scents i've every tried. and it stays strong for hours.

in the imp: thick, resinous, gorgeous! :D

wet on skin: wow. holt moly. ok, this is gonna sound weird, but it smells, to me, like the Bain du Soliel suntan gelee my sister used in the 80's. they've since changed the forumla, but i have been searching for that smell, and that feeling of endless summer it has always induced in me...

dry down: it's Bain du Soliel mixed with Smut, i kid you not. it may have changed slightly, but the dark, sweet element remains the same- filling me with feelings of longing and bronzed summer sunsets. :D

in all: simply put: a must have!

:P :D :D