Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Schrodinger's Cat

A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

In the imp - Citrus! Lots of citrus. Groovy!

On the wrist - Mmm, this is a great scent if you like citrus (which I do). I'm not getting anything but über citrus at the moment.

Drydown: Bugger. This went from being citrus to the point of cleaning product to chocolate mint baby powder. Damn. Swapped.

ETA: Lab description. Edited by Miseraya

SCHRODINGER'S CAT

Wet: I smell lavender and a touch of chocolate mint.

Dry: Paradox indeed! On my skin it is pure, bright grapefruit followed by tangerine and lime. The sugared aspect comes through and as time passes I get a hint of oakmoss and a touch of something woody-herbal. This is an uplifting and bubbly sweet scent that I just adore. It took less than five minutes on my skin for me to determine that I want to buy a bottle of this. It is so unique and yet it fits so well with other loves of mine: Cheshire Cat, Baobhan Sith, and Ecstasy of Infatuation.

Hi, the website totally ate my review and I'm not really keen on trying to re-create it.

For now, I will say the following:

1. This seems to be mostly oakmoss and grapefruit on me.

2. It's that time of the month so I will need to try it again to see if it's different later.

3. I think I could love this.

Sorry. :P

In the imp this was citrus and clean. On my skin it went to a more herbal scent with a tangy citrus background. I found it pleasant and very wearable. It only lasted about 2 hours though, the shortest sniff time of all the oils so far.

I admit to buying this just for the label art :D However, I am now smitten by its bright, clean, citrusy, scent. :P

In the bottle: Fresh, lively limey-citrus with some underlying spicy woods and a hint of something greeny-floral.

Wet: Much the same, but spicier. I think that's the chocolate mint - it's very nice and not too much, giving a fresh coolness in addition to the spice. I can tell there are multiple citruses but the lime dominates. Pleasantly, this is not a very sweet blend.

Dry: The tangerine and grapefruit emerge as the lime backs down a bit, and that greeny-floral note, which I think is in the geranium family, peeks out. The much beloved oakmoss is shining lightly through as well, providing a nice herbal-earthy foundation. This one's a wrist-sniffer for sure, and is delightfully balanced and intriguing.

Summary: Cool, complex, herbal-woody citrus. Bottle buy. After a few hours, the oakmoss takes over on me, but I love oakmoss, and I can smell hints of the other notes, so it's okay. In the extended dry down, it reminds me heavily of 51. It's as if both 51 and SC have the same base, but one has citrus-mint top notes and the other has floral-fruit. They are versions cut from the same cloth, just slightly different shades. The initial waves of citrus also remind me of Croquet, as someone else pointed out. I also washed my arm and nearly 5 hours later I can STILL smell this oil, so it has great throw and lasting power on me personally.

If you like this, try: 51, Croquet

Edited by fairnymph

Schrodinger's Cat-

In Bottle: Soap and fruit, almost tropical, and sugary sweet candy.

Wet: A hint of lavender, soap and sweetness. Hint of citrus.

Dry: This fades away in a wistful floral mustiness. Not my kind of scent, but interesting in the bottle. I'll try it in scent lockets!

Overall: Scent lockets, perhaps.

At first: all sweet sugary-grapefruit and bubblegum.

I'm not a big fan of pure-fruity smells (especially citrus), and I haven't wanted to smell like candy since I was thirteen - and yet... there was something about this that just intrigued my nose in a pleasant way. A smell so cute you forgive it almost anything.

After an hour or so, the more tingly, sugary notes faded into a pleasant tangerine. For me that's usually an oxymoron, I hate tangerine, but this one was actually rather nice, lol.

It didn't morph much after that, just gently faded into a pleasant fruity smell with enough depth to keep it interesting.

Didn't get any of the mint or mossy notes though, which was a shame.

This isn't the kind of thing I'd go for in large amounts, but I'll keep the imp for occasional use - maybe when I need a metaphysical lift... :P

General Catalogue, Bewitching Brews.

I can see why it's called Schrodingers Cat after a few hours of wearing it. It's not that it smells like cats, it's just two very different scents. The wet stage smell is VERY grapefruity and very fresh, almost citrus cleaner-ish. Still nice, but a little too clinical. The dry stage is hardly fruity at all, except for a tangerine undertone. It's mainly lavender. It doesn't smell creamy like the usual chocolate scent, but this may be as the mint cuts through it. If it wasn't for the mint, it might smell a little dowdy but as it's quite a sweet and fresh scent, it cuts through the cloying part of the lavender and tickles your sinuses.

Conclusion; Everyday fragrance, addicitively sniffable as every time you get a different wiff as it settles. Not overly strong, quite background really but it would be good when you have a blocked nose as the combination of lavender and mentholy mint helps unblock noses and calm headaches! I may get this to wear when i'm feeling a bit down as the fruit is cheerful and the afterglow quite relaxing.

8/10. A surprise, given it's horrible in the bottle.

Question: Does anyone else have... urm... precipitate in their imps/bottles? I'm assuming (reads: dearly hoping) that it's just the chocolate in my imp.

The scent itself makes me break out into giggling fits. Initially, I get lime cordial from the imp before the grapefruit and tangerine overpower it on my skin. Very playful, but it doesn't make me immediately think 'bah, too kiddy' (yeah, i'm lookin' at you, Titania) despite the fact that I can almost feel the sticky sugar. Eventually, the chocolate comes out (don't know about the mint part, though. then again, it might be having a dalliance with the lavender) but it's not at all creamy.

Schro's Cat is, if anything, very akin to the sort of confectionary that is mainly comprised of a tart citrus goo encapsulated in a very thin milk chocolate shell. Crush it, and that's this scent. I hate gooey centred chocolates with a passion, but I adore this!

I can has bottle nao plz?

ps; fades quick (oh poor deaded kitty), but an okay throw during it's lifetime.

I wasn't sure if I'd like this or not, but it sounded so odd I couldn't resist. And it's actually much more pleasant than I had expected. Definitely very citrussy, but with other undertones that give it more depth and interest. There's a hint of darkness to it, but overall it comes across as light and fresh, sweet but not too sweet.

I can pick up the lavender and mint in it fairly well, but not the chocolate. Oakmoss is only a faint background presence earthing the scent a bit, like it does in Fae (which this has a slightly similar feel to in some respects). And I'm not altogether sure what zdravetz is.

As it settles in further, the bright sweetness fades a bit, and the citrus notes become more tart. There's also a bit more of a herbal edge to it now, making it smell a bit like some kind of anti-stress aromatherapy blend (which tangerine and lavender would be very good for, come to think of it).

Ah, here's the chocolate... It doesn't come out until the citrus and lavender top notes have faded down considerably, but once they do, there's a definite hint of chocolate, and I think I may finally have picked out the zdravetz -- which I just googled, and apparently it's a Bulgarian geranium variant with a rosy-woody scent. The oakmoss is more noticeable now too.

Unfortunately, the stage it goes to right after that begins to smell a bit cloying and artificial, not nearly as quirky and appealling as earlier. And then it fades out completely not long after that. Total lifespan of scent, maybe about two hours.

So on the whole, not really a winner, but it was definitely fun to try out.

Grade: B-

Smells like citrus dish soap on me, with a hint of something woody underneath. Not really great, but citrus scents usually aren't on me.

in the vial: juicy citrus with a twist of chocolate and mint.

wet on skin: CITRUS, CITRUS, CITRUS! Tart and juicy like freshly sliced lime, tangerine and grapefruit! Yummy!

dry on skin: still very citrus, but if I sniff hard I can get a whiff of chocolate in the background. No, it's mint! No, chocolate! Or is it lavender? It keeps changing, but the citrus dominates. Unfortunately it fades fast. It's gorgeous, though! I may have to get a bottle of this!

Citrus and lavender, all the way. Reviewing other reviews no one else seemed to amp the lavender right away (just skimmed so if I missed it sorry), but right off the bat I can smell it. But I LOVE lavender so it's ok, especially since most of the lavender scents haven't worked on me.

A little bit of the chocolate mint peeking out but mostly citrus and lavender. Mmmmm.... Not edible mmm.... But mmmmm all the same.

This was a frimp, which was cool since I'd eyeballed it but then decided it was just a bit too odd to drop actual money on. ^^ Thanks labbies for reading my mind!

Hmm, in the bottle this is a fascinatingly complex citrus scent, can't stop sniffing to try and catch everything that's going on under all the grapefruit I'm getting.

On wet it's very bright and clean with something sugary sweet going on underneath. Mmmm all of the yummy grapefruit of Cheshire Cat with out the evil medicinal ick of the camomile.

On dry more of the lavender is coming out, which doesn't thrill me as I am most definitely not a lavender fan. Still, it hasn't gone all old lady soap on me like Twilight or made me want to run and scrub my arm like Bluebeard so it's ahead of the game. I might try it a few more times, see if it grows on me.

7/10

In the imp, it smells soft and grapefruity. On me, something sweet starts coming out; smells like soft citrus and sugar, or soft citrus and honey.

5 min: smells the same, but there's a kind of dusty undertone coming out—it might be the lavender, or it might be the chocolate (it's the same kind of dusty effect I got from Velvet).

20/25 min: the dusty element is getting stronger, and it's rather sweet. It's heading into the dangerous wilds of baby powder.

1 hour: Sweetish baby powder, fading fast.

2 hours: a very faint sweet and citrus and baby powder smell.

3 hours: poof. Gone.

Lovely little kitty, I wish you'd stuck around...

Love and coffee,

Frances

This one is a little hit-and-miss on me, as citrus sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

This blend is an odd one. Wet, I can detect the grapefruit and a sweet lime. It's very light and pretty.

Dry, sadly, it turns into washing-up-liquid. :P

In the imp: citrus and lavender, sweet and jammy and rather good.

On me, wet: lots of sweet, sugared lavender and fizzy citrus. This is very chirpy as a scent - the cat is alive, and very very playful.

On me, dry: This is quite light now, but still has that bright, sweet tangy citrus/lavender to the exclusion of all else.

Verdict: Keeping the imp, certainly, and I see other folks get different reactions each time so I'm sure I'll be retrying it again.

Bottle: Tangerine and lime

Wet: Grapefruit, tangerine and lime! I don't really get the peppermint, but there is a sort of zing at the end there, if that makes any sense! Some lavender there as well! The lavender isn't too herbally, which I like.

Drydown: Right now it's all just citrus and lavender. It's not bad, I was just expecting something different. More fruit, I suppose!

3.5 outta 5

Straight out of the imp -- definite citrus with just a hint of peppermint. When it goes on my skin, the peppermint comes out a bit more, and I can smell the chocolate. I like it just fine at this stage -- not a favorite, but not an immediate swap pile scent either. And then...the drydown. Lavender. Don't get me wrong, I can love lavender when it's sweetened up like in TKO, but...this turns into big fat straight-up herbal lavender, which I don't like. The longer it's on, the more herbal it gets. I enjoy the initial application, but the drydown is just too much for me.

I didn't think I'd like this scent. I'm not a citrus-lover, and usually lavender is too strong on my skin. But when I first put it on I was surprised by how cute it smells. It kind of smelled like pink lemonade. Not at all like cleaning products, which is what I usually don't like about citrus.

I could barely detect any lavender, and what was there was quite soft. A wee bit of oakmoss -- it was gentle.

However, after the citrus notes mostly went away, what was left smelled like a tart but soft lavender. A little strange. I can't say I don't like it, but I'm not sure I like it either. I mean, it's a perfectly fine scent, just not the sort of thing I wear. I have to say, if I smelled this on someone else I would enjoy it, and I would certainly like to use it as a room scent. It has a lovely fresh, clean, and relaxing quality. But for me as perfume, it's not quite right.

Love the concept, though. :P

The tangerine, lime and grapefruit pop out immediately, all tart and yummy! I also get a hint of peppermint/lavender (no chocolate though). The oakmoss is very much in the background, grounding the fragrance. The scent is not terribly strong.

This is a very fun scent <3 like a fruity-herbal-mint tea with a soft earthy drydown. I can't off the top of my head think of another BPAL that smells like this.

In the imp: lime and grapefruit

Wet: citrus lavender.

Drydown: I can smell every note in this but the zdravetz. WTF does zdravetz smell like, anyway? ETA: Here is some information about zdravetz, which is apparently a fairly well-known perfume component derived from a form of geranium. Who knew? Obviously not me.

Fun fun fun. I should buy a bottle for the concept alone, which I adore. It smells nice enough that people ask what I'm wearing, and I just adore telling them, "It's Schrodinger's Cat--or perhaps it isn't." :P

Edited by Czarina

This smells *exactly* like Victoria's Secret Love Spell perfume, once it dries down. When wet, I get the mint chocolate note, but it fades away pretty quickly and I'm left with nothing by fruit-punchy goodness. :P

I like this a lot. At first the pink grapefruit is what I smell, and the chocolate mint. Dry, it is the same yummy grapefruit/lime/chocolate mint combo. The lavender does not really show up on me, but the longer I wear it the more complex and delicious it smells. Goodness, it is wonderful!

Bright and citrus-y and it makes me grin! The bottle that I am sampling from is something I bought for a friend (she does not wear scents often, but is into physics!!!) I think I may (maybe) need to get one for myself. It smells gooooood, and it just gets better!

If I were to prescribe a human characteristic to this scent, I would say that it is 'Charming'! Seriously! Charming!!!!