Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Schrodinger's Cat

A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

I'm a big cat lover (and a fan of fruity scents), so I had to get an imp of this.
In the imp: Straight-up citrus. Almost pinesol. Scared me a bit.
Wet: Much better. Can smell the lime and grapefruit with a hint of sugar. Very fun!
Dry: Dries down to a light citrus with a tiny bit of chocolate. Really great overall!

Edited to add description quotation.

Imp: A fuzzy, fluffy, fruity scent with a strong dash of lemon cleanser. (I think the combination of all the citrus with the lavender?)

Wet: Lavender and oakmoss and hints of peppermint and a lot of fizzy, fruity candy. It should be pretty, but it actually smells kind of overpoweringly sweet and artificial. We'll see how it develops.

Dry: Sadly something in this kills my head and ends up smelling like bathroom cleaner on me. I think perhaps there's heather in here somewhere, since the only other scent I remember doing this to me is Glasgow.

Yowza! Super citrus zingy candy with a soft sugared lavender edge. The chocolate offers a smooth blending character to the tangy and floral notes. It's creamy, more like white chocolate. There is a slight dash of sweet peppermint, enough to create a slight freshness to the blend, but not overpoweringly mint.

Not the type I'm usually drawn to, but it's pretty damn interesting. I may have to grab a bottleof this.

I have tested this scent several times and, whereas it’s not bad, it’s not memorable. I was hoping for something a little more peppy from the citrus and peppermint, but all I can discern is something green. Maybe the oakmoss and a smidgeon of chocolate? The throw is not bad, but it smells like handsoap from a distance. No adverse reactions, but not really interesting.

I added an imp of this to my last order out of sheer curiosity. After reading the reviews here, I was hopeful that I wouldn't get much chocolate from this, as it isn't one of my favorite notes.

In the imp...whoa, this is a crazy scent. Like liquid chaos! I could smell citrus, and a lot of other stuff that I couldn't even begin to make out. Very strong and tangy! On my skin, it took a while for me to actually pick of notes. Lime, grapefruit, a little bit of mint and very faint lavender. The citrus was quite dominating, but in a good way since I love citrus scents! This has a very happy, playful feel to it. It isn't overly sweet either, very tart and fresh smelling. Like real, fresh squeezed fruits. Several hours later, the citrus seems to have backed way off and the lavender is more evident. Something else, too...a green mossy note. Very fresh and clean, not powdery at all. Thankfully I didn't get any chocolate from this. This is quite a complex scent, and something I think would be great for spring/summer. Definitely getting a big bottle!

In imp, hmm, definitely as odd as the description implied. Moss and fruit and perhaps a little peppermint all forced together in a blender.

A small pop of citrus as I apply. But instantly it becomes more herbal as the lavender coming out. Clean geranium too. The peppermint is still chilling out quietly in the background, MAYBE waving a bit of chocolate next to it. I’m not getting much fruit here at all. No lasting power-- Schrodinger's Cat faded after a couple hours.

Not BAD, but still, another imp bites the dust.

This was a frimp fresh from the lab. I really should not have even tried to put this one on, because pink grapefruit is always bitter yuck on me, and the lab's lavender note goes to old gym socks on me. In the imp, it's a nearly overpowering bitter citrus blast, like floor cleaner.

Wet it's grapefruit and gym socks. The dry down didn't get any better for me. I wound up washing this one off.

If you like citrus and it likes you, go for it. It's very, very fruity.

Well what can I say?! It works great with my skin. In the bottle it really does smell kind of of of harsh, and resinous. Lime+Lavender= :unsure: "do I really want this on my body"

Wet: Smells like Irish Spring soap :nervous: :umm:

20 minutes later: LIME! no...Lavender/mint?..no, grapefruit soap? no, LAVENDER! No, lime.... :D all the notes are screaming at each other, and it slowly morphs, each note lessening a bit in it's intensity, to...

60 minutes later: ..... a beautifully fresh, creamy, sweet lime on my skin. :wub2: wow! I didnt' see THAT coming, lol!

And it stays that way, too. Once and a while I'll get a whiff of florals, maybe a touch, just a touch, of powder, but mostly a nice citrus with a touch of floral. Not exactly candy, but definitely sweet, but that's me, I amp sweet.

Don't know if I'll buy a bottle, will hold on to the frimp. 4 out of 5 stars.

Edit to add: Make that 5 out of 5 stars. I accidentally washed the frimp and sent it through the drier :ack: It's still lovely, lol!!!! Actually, this really grew on me anyway, and I believe it's a lovely, lime-filled sweetie pie perfect for spring :wub2: I'm not getting a bottle right now, because evil me is getting some other bottles that will disappear fast, lol, but when I get a chance, I'll get it. Great scent with decent staying power.

Edit to add AGAIN: Well. I finally have been fully bitten by the bpal bug. I've been on the fence for two months over this stuff, and Schrodinger's Cat has hooked me. I guess aging the oils REALLY DOES work!!!! and maybes sending it through the laundry, lol!!!

Edited by nixie3

Wow. I really like this and it is not what I was expecting. It's kind of lush and limey and nice. I want this for summer, yummy but not foody.

Nice kitty.

Wet on skin this is very earthy. I asked my husband to smell it and he said, "Oh, the cat is dead." During dry down this turns to a sharp fruit and then mellows down to a bright floral once dry. Eventually it starts to fade into the chocolate but it isn't really food-y, just sweet.

I liked this after the initial earthy smell went away but the husband only liked the fruity phase and dislikes the floral so I guess I won't be getting any more of this.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by FriedaLove

I've never done a review before, and I'm total pants at detecting notes or describing smells much at all, but Schrodinger's Cat was pretty jubilantly fruit candy on my skin. It made me think of the kind of pseudo-victorian sugared candies I used to get in a pretty little tin; very sweet and pink and, well, sugary. There may have been a bit of lavender in there adding to the victorian-ness of the candy; I'd have to try it again to check.

I never caught the zdravetz or chocolate mint, but I don't know what zdravetz smells like. Chocolate mint I've grown before, and it should smell pretty much exactly like one of those green-foil wrapped Andes mints you get at restaurants on occasion.

It vanished down to pretty much nothing within two hours. Fine by me, since I don't particularly want to smell like candy, but it was interesting!

I am on a grapefruit kick lately, so with my last order I decided to snag an imp of this.

In the imp: eugh, all I smell is a citrus scented cleaning product. It is a bit harsh smelling.

Wet on my skin: Now it does not smell like a cleaning product anymore, but like soap (I know, soap is a cleaning product but..less chemical/harsh smelling). The citrus is still going strong, no traces of the other notes.

Dry: It has mellowed out a bit, now it is soft, citrus candy. It is ok, but the smell is really faint.

Dissapears within an hour on my skin. This one did not work for me :(

This imp is aged. Also I have no idea what zdravetz smells like.

In the bottle: Grapefruit? Sugary lime? Lavender? All of the above!

On my skin: The lavender is the most easy to distinguish since I am very familiar with it and it has a nice, strong note. Secondary to that I think I detect a hint of the pink grapefruit. A few minutes later it changes... To oakmoss! My beloved moss, how much I like you! <3

Drydown: Oakmoss. <333

What a FUN blend! Immediately out of the bottle, it's sharp green - mint and lime. There's orange underneath, and a creamy sweetness. Definitely unlike any perfume out there, it constantly shifts and changes. After a few moments, it's clean and sweet (almost like fresh laundry hanging in the sun.) Love, love, LOVE Schrodinger's Cat!

Pretty and light lemony scent when first applied. I can pick up the chocolate mint barely, but it dries into something like bathroom cleaner on me. It's much more bearable than twinkle twinkle little bat, but still....very pretty bathroom cleaner. :(

It took forever for me to decide whether I liked this one or not. Now I've decided I do, but I have to be in the right mood for it as with many things.

It's very green and fresh-smelling on me, almost a laundry detergent type scent. Just a bit of citrus and not as overtly fruity as I expected it to be.

In bottle only: Very, very citrus. Tangerine is a canvas for the grapefruit tang and the hint of lime zing. The lavender and geranium blend beautifully with the dominant citrus, the oakmoss grounds it. The chocolate peppermint is understated, but detectable.

A Lab frimp that I would never have chosen for myself, because I stay away from chocolate, mint, and (as much as I can) orange. Surprisingly the tangerine was blown out of the water by the grapefruit, which is a note I do love. I looked it up and zdravetz is just a kind of geranium. Okay, no problem there. This stayed light, feminine, pretty, and not really very weird at all. It reminds me of Arcana's Soft-Hearted, which also has a dominant pink grapefruit note.

I can't eat grapefruit anymore because it interacts with a med that I take (for real) so I like having it in perfume--both delicate and energetic, and surprisingly long-lasting. After 7 hours I can still pick it up on my sleeve. I get zero chocolate mint, yay! So I like this? Maybe that's weird after all.

A friend received an imp of this yesterday, and, being the wonderful person she is, she called me over to try it out with her. :D

(Disclaimer. We''re both perfume plebes, so we're not really able to pick out notes - just give a general impression of what it reminds us of.)

In the bottle, this cat rather smells like....well, floor cleaner, the cheap ones you can buy at dollar supermarkets. While wet, it's still lemon floor cleaner, but this one moves fast, turning rapidly 'blue' soda-ish. It went from cleaner, to lemon air refreshener, to new (lemon-scented) stationery, to Ramune (a lovely Japanese soda) to.....a very definite F&N's ice cream soda! It stays creamy, happy and fizzy - can totally see this working on sunny afternoons under blue skies. Love!

Alas, the lasting power on this is not as long as we'd like - it settles into a very close-wearing scent in about half an hour and drops back into a pleasant, if very faint, citrus. Still, this is definitely something I'd use as a pick-me-up, given how bubbly it is.

Schrodinger's's Cat: Preconceived notions (I did not consult the notes before I tried, I wanted to see if my nose could pick out the notes first, but I know from prior reviews this scent has fruity notes, chocolate and peppermint.) I am hoping for something effervescent, whimsical and perhaps radioactive?? Something similar to Cheshire Cat or Cheshire Moon could be in this sample...

Source: Kind decant received as a frimp in a recent bottle purchase--Thank You forumites--Bpal Madness rawks!

Notes: (I blind sniff and write my inpressions, then I compare with the notes to reconstruct what I think my nose interpreted): tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

In Vitro: Fruity! definitely citrus fruit. My guess was yuzu. (in retrospect, it was the tangerine and grapefruit together most likely) It is fresh, springy, and mood enhancing.

Wet: (I applied to wrists and back of hand) Fruity, I get the lime but pink grapefruit dominates.

Drying: Sugared citrus notes, lime and grapefruit. I would expect the mint to show up but I am not really sure I detect it.

Drydown: (less than 15 minutes after applied) Poof! The cat is no where to be found. He remains in that unknown state, Alive? Dead? No radioactive particles, no mint, no chocolate.

Late drydown: (About an hour later) I think I am getting the sugar and lavender with a hint of green moss. This is a paradoxical scent as I think it is fading in and out. It is lovely to sniff, but faint and I cannot go around huffing my wrists in front of coworkers now, can I?

Final Squee: I really loved the citrus notes, but my skin nommed them. I wonder if my imp has aged out the notes and if a fresh imp or decant would have been different. I am not excluding a bottle purchase, but I am thinking I would need to try a few decants first. It is possible I think that the decanter drew their sample from the top and if the bottle had not been gently rolled, the chocolate elements may have settled into the bottom and not been pulled into the sample. If so, I only experienced part of the cat. I may try mixing this imp into some unscented lotion to see if I can make it last longer or magnify more notes. As is, I love the scent, but it really isn't going to work as fragrance for me if my skin eats it up so quickly. Sad kitty here.

Edited by sprout

Bright, fruity grapefruit, with something in the background that is helping blend all the different citruses. Very pretty and effervescent! Not too fruity or foody, but clean and pretty.

On me it smells like a citrus potpurri. It has a bit of herbyness to it which I'm thinking is the oakmoss and/or lavender. I like lavender but I'm not familiar with the BPAL version. I'm completely unfamiliar with the scent of oakmoss, though.

Oooooh this one is really fresh and citrus-y! I really get the sugared lime. There is a breath of mint around it, it keeps the blend from being super zingy. I get just a touch of grapefruit in the background. Overall a really fun blend, something I'll probably wear in the summer!

Edited by roseus

I have learned that citrus and I don't get along, but I had to try this because of the chocolate peppermint, which I love!

Wet: bitter grapefruit. Blah. Immediately turns nasty on my skin. Why did I think this would work on me? Getting pretty soapy.

Dry: Soapy citrus. No hint of the chocolate peppermint I had hoped for. Not for me! glad I tried it though.

Disclaimer: I knew this likely wouldn't work on me, but I have a personal policy of testing all imps even if they have my death notes, which in this case are grapefruit and tangerine.

In the imp: Sharp, green-ish citrus.

Wet on my skin: This actually starts off smelling rather pretty on me, with sugared lime and lavender, and the grapefruit in the background.

Dry: Sigh. There are sniffs where this smells lovely, almost like a tropical, fruit-infused tea. I can detect lavender, grapefruit, tangerine, sugary lime, and just a hint of mint. The oakmoss ALMOST saves this on my skin, but not quite. For every sniff where I get that beautiful tropical drink scent, I then get a sniff where it smells like cleaning fluid and/or medicinal cough drops. I really wanted to like this because of the concept, but alas, grapefruit and my skin just don't get along. Period. I'll make this into a room spray, because I think it'd smell lovely that way.