Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Schrodinger's Cat

A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

Fresh on, this is strong playful citrus with an undercurrent of sharp lavender. I can detect just a bit of coolness from the peppermint; overall it's very fresh. Just as the oakmoss & lavender-like zdravetz start to get a bit funky, I get a strong scent of sweet oranges - is that the sugared lime maybe? Edited by Baitu

I get sweet citrus out of this, with the very slightest undertone of mint. A very light, fun scent. It's a lovely cool spring/summer scent, and I think I'll be wearing it a lot more frequently now that the weather is warming up. I'm pretty sure I want a bottle.

One of my cats came up while I was putting this on today, and insisted on investigating the imp. I think a bit got on his nose, because he gave me a filthy look and started flying around the house as if pixies were pulling his tail. Of course, he does that pretty much every morning, but it was a little more pronounced than usual today. :P

I put this on and all I could think was "huh?" :P

I could not even begin to describe what it smells like. It seems like a warm weather scent - something kind of fresh and cool. I think what I smell is a mix of citrus with mint and just a hint of chocolate at first (that seems to have faded away), but honestly my nose is just sort of confused and can't really pick anything specific out of it.

I could see where people thought it smelled pledge-ish but this actually stays away from the "cleaner" smell to me (unlike embalming fluid).

It's not my kind of thing, but it's very interesting and I can see why people would enjoy it.

On me, Schrodinger's Cat is just the tangerine and sugared lime. It's very fresh and light, perfect for summer. I'll try aging this to see if the other notes come out, but it's good the way it is.

In Vial: Lemony

Wet: Lovely lemon, lime, citrusy with lavender in the background. This is a light, fresh, wispy scent. Fizzy, almost reminds of clear carbonated soft drinks(7up, Sprite).

Dry: Smells similar to wet, sugared citrus with something fizzy. The lavender serves to ground the blend. I never did smell the chocolate peppermint but maybe that was a good thing. It was the one note that almost scared me away from trying this scent.

In imp: slightly floral/herby citrus

Wet on skin: bit of herbal/sweet fruitiness coming forward

Drydown: mossy, orange, sweet, floral with a hint of chocolatey mint

Wearlength: Wore for 2 hours before taking a shower. Unsure how long it would last if left alone. May give it another try sometime when my shower time isn't so near.

Final impression: Just not me… Smells like a sweet, happy older lady who tells good stories, dresses nicely and has good taste… I'd love to meet her, but I don't want to smell like her.

(disclaimer: this is my first BPAL scent and first review... my nose is very inexperienced :P )

Wet, Shrodinger's Cat bears a very strong resemblance to my good friend, the Cheshire Cat. The grapefruit-lavender duo does the exact same things on my skin in both blends, at least to start. Then, Shrodinger's Cat, that inscrutable devil, turns into lime. Just lime. The limiest lime that ever limed in Limetown. And in Limetown, there's nobody there but the Limes.

I got this from the Lab when it was new, and I didn't like it much then (too sharp and lemony). However, I broke it out again today for my Quantum Mechanics exam, and I was delighted to find that it has aged wonderfully in the few months I've had it!

The main thing I can smell is sherbert lemons. I can only assume this is the sugared fruits coming in to play. For the first half-hour of wear, the Kitty is very nice and light and bright (never fear, citrus-haters, it's very sweet). After that, the bright, citrus top notes disappear leaving a sweet, but not tooth-achingly so, musky undertone. I can't get any lavender out of it at any stage. I guess the musky drydown is the oakmoss and chocolate.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Lavender.

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts: I don't care for lime or oakmoss, so I'm hoping they stay and bay, and dreading that they won't.

In the imp: Sweet, sugary, citrusy... lavender. Crap.

On skin, wet: Lavender. Sweet and sugared lavender, but lavender all the same.

On skin, dry: There's really not much more to say. Lavender, like rose and jasmine, is a diva; no one upstages her (him?). I amp lavender to the nth degree, to the exclusion of all other notes in a blend. When lavender acts up, all other notes get shoved to the sidelines. I detect a vague sweetness somewhere beneath the lavender surface, but just barely.

Conclusion: As lavender scents go, I do have to admit that this is probably my favorite -- sweet and sugary and very bright. That said, I don't care to smell of lavender at all, so I'll have to pass on the dear Schrodinger's Cat.

Edited by Aredhel

Lavender and lime!! It's a very calming scent fer sher.

As it dries down I get a mishmosh of florals, but lavendar hangs up on top with the lime. A bit of sweetness is there with that lime...

and now it's mostly sugar and lime. I smell like a shot of tequila minus the booze. Not that it's bad or anything.

It's a nice imp only scent.

Ooh...lovely fresh citrus! There is also a hint of something else, smells florally, but it blends in with the citrus in a good way! I love this, but I'm lucky if the scent lasts two hours on me, it turns a bit soapy, then disappears. :P

My bottle has aged a little bit, so I tried it again last night. The citrus is still cheery and powerful - the throw is amazing. I just put a little on my left wrist to try and scented my whole room as I went to sleep!

During the wet stage it has a worrying dustiness that I wouldn't have liked if it had stayed around, but once it warms up, the dustiness is gone and it's happy citrus and juiciness, very much like 51, though no melon note like that one has.

Great summer scent with no drawbacks once that dusty note fades on warmup!

Initial thoughts: DUDE. SRSLY. SCHRODINGER'S CAT.

Okay, I have no idea what zdravetz is (Even wikipedia cannot help me) but the rest of the lineup is reading pretty good... lime rarely gives me trouble but grapefruit can sometimes pack a bit of a punch for the first ten minutes. The tangerine from Bakeneko didn't give me any trouble, even though I hate oranges, and the chocolate peppermint is what I'm looking forward to most.

In the imp: Oooh, the sugared citrus is reminding me of a lighter, brighter Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal. It's potent but neither too sharp nor too sweet - in fact, it has an almost creamy quality to it.

On the wrist, wet: Mmm, lime starburst! I'm starting to get some of the pungency of the grapefruit, which amps a little on me and masks almost anything else, but I can almost get a dribble of lavender. This shows promise.

Twenty minutes later: This is still just a sweet citrus with some lavender - I say 'just' because I was hoping for something with a bit more body and complexity. This is very fresh and bright and bouncy - perhaps because I currently feel like the walking dead, it's not really doin' much for me at the moment

Verdict: Keeper, but I'm not rushing for a bottle.

Tl;Dr: The citrus is prominent in this blend, but it's sweet and bubbly.

You know, I'm new at this, but I think this paradoxical scent might be something I love! The description is odd...the sugar, grapefruit, and chocolate drew me in. The peppermint turned me off.

Wet: Citrus, pink grapefruit, sugared lime, yum. I don't normally light bright, clean scents, but this is great.

On Skin: Oh I love it! The chocolate is coming out, and the peppermint, which I don't like, is played down by the citrus notes.

Two hours later: subtle, pink sugar.

And this might be my imagination, but I really do smell, like, feline pheremones here. Not nasty cat pee or anything! But something definitely feral...

This scent is definitely an eye-opener! Good for sluggish mornings and hot doldrum days, I would imagine. On me, it was almost completely minty, with some grapefruit sharpness. Nice to sniff, not so nice to wear -- it felt cologne-y, which is not the same as perfume-y. Light, but with an edge, probably very good on a man. On me, it's a bit off-putting, I'm afraid. Nice kitty -- now, go away. =^..^=

On first whiff, I got a chocolate peppermint, that disappeared with the second whiff, leaving only a citrusy goodness.

On wet: This is familiar, but hard to place... almost like hard candy. It soon morphs into a lovely chocolate orange with undertones of citrus and lavender. As it dries down, the citrus comes out more... mmm, a lovely grapefruit, with a tinge of lime.

It's certainly living up to its name... whenever I lift my wrist to my nose, I get a different scent.

Unfortunately, after a couple of hours, it seems to have settled down into a liiight grapefruit scent, with a bit of laundry... it's nice, but I'm not sure I want to smell like my clothes!

Not sure what to do about this one. I think I'll give it another try sometime later and see what happens then.

I figured I owed it to my two purring furmonsters to try at least one scent with the word "cat" in the name somewhere. I decided to go with this particular Cat mostly because of the physics aspect. Nerd cat! I love the very idea that there is a scent based on this paradox. Also, I like citrus, mint, and chocolate all quite well on their own, so the mix will be an interesting experience.

In the imp: Citrus - predominantly grapefruit, with a little lime - on top, with a flash of mint chasing it. There's also something a little more herbal under there. Is that zdravetz? I have no clue what zdravetz is.

Wet on skin: This immediately becomes more herbal and minty, though the citrus is still there. I am reminded a bit of Ricola cough drops.

Drydown: That cough drop streak has faded away quickly, within ten minutes. What's there is something bright but surprisingly soft compared to the strength of the smell in the imp. It reminds me of an herb-citrus tisane. I'm not getting any chocolate, only a very little lavender, no discernible moss, and I still don't know what zdravetz is. After about an hour, the smell has faded to a level where my wrist has to be sniffed pretty hard for it to be noticed. It is only at this point, though, that I'm starting to get any chocolate in there.

Five hours later: This hasn't faded further since the one hour mark, but considering how subtle it was then, that's not saying much. The chocolate is definitely noticeable within that faint smell, though, with the barest hint of citrus and with something faintly green (could be the moss, or is that the elusive zdravetz?) grounding it.

End of the day: Completely gone, without a trace.

Overall: It seems like my body chemistry let loose that particle of radiation, since the Cat really didn't stick around for very long. I liked the citrus-mint-tea smell that came shortly after drying, but it was so very fleeting. I really wish that stage had lasted longer, and that the whole thing had better staying power on me. I am not about to write off Schrödinger's Cat yet - I'll try it again when it's not so stupidly hot out, to see if that makes a difference in wear length and in what my skin does, and to see if aging effects the oil at all. But the present experiment did not yield expected results!

This is good, when I first put it on, I get a zesty, citrussy burst of scent that is mixed with lavender predominantly and then I get a hint of the peppermint. It dries down to a similar scent and my only gripe about it is that I wish it was stronger on my skin as it seemed to fade really quickly.

However despite that this is still on my 5ml bottle wish list!

Very complex. On me, the grapefruit scent is strong (and sadly smells just like my sweat). It's a really neat scent, though. I'm hoping to get a scent locket soon, and try wearing it then.

In the bottle: Pale yellow oil. An explosion of yummy, fresh citrus.

Wet: Refreshing citrus with predominant fresh grapefruit note, and tangy hints of chocolate that somehow don't detract from the freshness. Getting a note of spicy floral that I think may be lavender. It's a very busy scent, with a lot going on, but the chaos is very pleasant. All the ingredients smell very natural and non-commercial, this is the fresh, free from synthetics, harmonious aroma of Bpal at its best.

After a few minutes on skin: Tangy citrus with tangerine and grapefruit notes most prominent, faint richness of herbal chocolate.

After first hour: Chocolate coming through slightly stronger, turning the blend into a more foody, candy smell, though with the herbs it is still fresher and fortunately not too overtly edible, which would have been unpleasant to me.

After two and a half hours: Faint aroma of Terry's Chocolate Orange, but with a tinge of herbs. This is going to be gone before the five hour mark.

After 5 hours: Faint aroma of citrus chocolate.

Final Verdict: A pleasant and sophisticated blend worthy of the Bpal name, and almost nice enough to find a place in my top ten.

Very citrusy... not really the "paradox" I was hoping for...

Its a great light summer citrus scent, though.

I don't know that I need a bottle of this since its not what I generally go for when reaching for perfumes, but I really like it. I just don't know if I'm ready to LOVE it.

Wet:This is a very complex, busy scent. Wow. It's a very crisp, somewhat fizzy citrus with just a hint of the chocolate. Now, that sounds like it shouldn't work but it somehow does. I can't stop sniffing myself. :P After a few minutes something bizarre and slightly sharp comes out. I'm not sure if I like it.

Ok, now I know I don'tlike it. Dh says it smell like Off bug spray and I think it smells like an auto parts store. Yuck. My funky skin chemistry strike again.

I think I'll have to try it in my locket for the yummy wet stage. I'm glad I kept the one imp and sent the other to it's new home.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

in the imp: sugared lime! :P

wet on skin: some lavender is coming into the equation.

dry down: heavy on that sugary lime, with just a hint of the lavender. i get no other notes from this :D

in all: i was saddened not to get any of the other notes, especially the peppermint chocolate. however, i really, really like the sugared lime in this blend. i could see mixing this with 21 and having a really yummy mojito!

:D

I had high hopes for this one. At first it was bright and cheerful citrus. It completely disappeared in 5 minutes or so though . . . I may have to try it one more time in hopes that it lasts longer.

I really like this. I have no idea if it will last on my skin, but, I like this. A bright cheerful fruity scent. It has morphed a few times since putting it on, and I suppose that was the different citrus fruits saying goodbye, but, it's still around. Still zippy and sweet.