Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Troll

A lurching, hateful, bitter scent. This is a gruesome blend of ghastly greens and blacks: vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, black basil, clove smoke, and scorched cumin.

hehehe I sniffed this one at a meet 'n' sniff and we all had a giggle over it-- how it smelled like a nerdy guy's BO and such. Like it was the essence of 'nerd' :lol: Then I got frimped it from the lab :rofl: That's alright, I'm game

In the Imp: Mostly pine pitch and spices to me, although of course there's vetiver (which along with *some* patchouli notes are instant BO to my nose). Upon deep sniffing I may revise my initial description-- this is more like lumberjack essence ^_^

Wet: This smells an awful lot like Hexennacht 08, which I really like. This is like Hexennacht's nerdy little brother that wants to tag along all the time. Amazingly I'm rather liking this, although I think it has potential to go very wrong.. it's one of those "unsure" blends.. each day could be different.

Drying down: On me it's pine pitch, clove smoke and musk in that order. It does come out feeling a lot like Hexennacht and I think I might try adding a little Troll next time I wear it. Interestingly, I just accidentally bumped my face/lip with my wrist when I was sniffing at it, and I'm getting a distinct Irish Spring taste in the back of my mouth... and my lip went numb where the oil touched it :huh: Do not recommend. Anyhow! I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with this one-- I think it would work into a BO scent if I got too warm wearing it, but it'll be great for those "earthy" days I have sometimes :lol: Edited by MCS4096

This is very earthy/herbal. Not for me unfortunatley but I do like the name so am going to find it difficult to part with! :lol:

Imp: wow..the pine hits the nose first..and the

clove smoke as well.

Wet on Me: Pine, basil, clove and the cumin

believe it or not. Crossing fingers that

“note-which-must-not-be-named” does not join

the party and ruin it for me.

Drying Down: So far so good….the musk is

faint..and despite the name and description this

is not unpleasant so far.

Dry: I think this so far is the only scent with

vetiver in it that does not hate me. Altho now that

it has dried down..it has a medicinal band-aid

scent to it. Weird-o-rama!

Ok , I'll start this off with what my GF tells me every time I wear it . " Who would have ever guessed a Troll would smell so good " ? And I have to agree . This is one of my favorite " power " scents . Very in your face , but in a good way . I think the vetiver is balanced out nicely by the other notes . I do get a bit of the pine pitch , but get the smoky notes stronger yet . And that is a good thing , as I love the labs smoke filled scents . I'm also generally a musk fan as well , so it's all good . If I color coded this , it would be a very dark shade of green , maybe with black shot through it .

when i read "clove smoke" in the description, i thought, "clove cigarettes!" but it's not really like that. there's clove and there is smoke, but it's not reminiscent of the Sampoernas i used to torment my lungs with back in college :lol: . this is a woodsy, smoky, sweet autumnal blend. the dirty, earthy vetiver is sweetened by oozing pine sap and clove, with just a hint of bitter cumin. this troll must be baking up some goodies in his forest kitchen. i can never say no to pine or vetiver -- a bottle is most likely in my future.

Edited by tinyvulture

In imp: Mmm! This surprised me! This is definitely a wet, mossy forest, but with something pleasantly sweet coming to the front.

Wet on skin: I have no idea about notes, but there is something slightly smoky and spicy in here, definitely, mixing in with the green. This forest is starting to get evil and foreboding.

Dry: Oh no, I guess my skin chemistry just doesn't work with this one. It turns into a rather foul spicy note that I rather dislike. Spicy, but also rather cold, if that makes any sense. It's like the two are trying to blend together but failing.

Oh dear, and it was so beautiful in the imp too. This is probably one for a scent locket.

Imp: Liquid smoke and ham.

Wet: Patchouli and liquid smoke.

Drydown: It takes a while for the liquid smoke to mellow on my skin. After about an hour, it's not so much smoking meats anymore. It's now an earthy mossy scent.

Overall: I don't like this one. The liquid smoke stage was hard to swallow. :ack:

Mmm, what an awesome yummy scent!

It's not as dark and bitter as the description made me think. I sniffed the imp and it smelled earthy, but on my skin it morphed into the smell of camping in a lush evergreen forest with the hint of campfire in the air. I can't stop sniffing at my wrists, it's so pleasing and earthy, foresty without coming across to me as masculine.

Let me find something nice to say so I'm not going into this all negative: oh! Cumin, I love cumin. I've never tried it in a perfume (that I can recall) but I love cooking with it.

In the imp, I smell... peanut sauce, leather. VETIVER MY OLD ENEMY. On my skin, the pine jumps out and -- that's all I can find. Where are the basil and clove smoke? WHERE DID THE VETIVER GO. I smell like a xmas tree.

There we go. As it dries, Troll picks up some warm spiciness and a little smokiness. I can't tell which spices are behind the warmth, but they're reminiscent of cooking spices. It's not bad for a super-masculine scent. I'd never wear it, but it is surprisingly nice given what I was anticipating, ESPECIALLY given the fact that pine is the dominant note, and I am not a pine fan.

Imp: The pine pitch (a la illustrated woman) is very strong here, along with a cooling almost effervescent, semi-medicinal scent and a rich musky spice.

Wet : strong smooth pine pitch with that cooling sorta-minty quality and a spiced smoky wood scent, too. Its smoother than I’d expected, the pine pitch is almost creamy sweet here. Almost syrupy--with a fruity pine quality.

Dry: rich creamy/fruity(don’t’ aske me why) pine pitch, slightly spicy…and BO :eek:? I had a glade plug in air freshner in my bathroom once upon a time. And after several uses, all it ever smelled like was BO. Something about the combo of refills that I chose must’ve formed a BO-crust-accord on the top of the danged thing. It took me a while to figure out why my bathroom always smelled like armpits... Sadly, I’m getting that same, distinct armpit note from troll, as well (I’ve read that cumin can sometimes do this?).

Overall: I can smell the wonderful-ness of this blend (smoky creamy pine pitch, spice)...UNDER the BO. Nope, this one's not for me.

I somehow managed to get frimped this, and it looks very aged (the imp cap is stained golden brown).

To me, this is a very masculine scent. Strong and solid. Not in your face, but it is there, and it knows that you know it's there. It seems to have a fairly decent throw (for me at least, since it seems my skin just eats scents) and I get whiffs of it every now and again. The vetiver and musk are the strongest and last well through dry down. I get a little pine every now and then, but not much, which is good since I tend to amp pine.

Overall, it's a very dark, nearly angry scent - good to wear when you're in the mood, but I don't think I'll get a bottle.

Troll

In the Vial: Vetiver!

Wet: Vetiver and pine. Ick and more ick. Getting something musky.

Drydown: Truthfully, this is so much better now than in the vial. But er, it's still, a bit, well, dirty piney earthy. :P Shifting now to the herbal and v much so medicinal. Eww.

Verdict: I'm not a huge fan of vetiver and I almost hate piney scents, so all in all, this is a pass.

My chemistry must be wonky. On me, Troll smells very fruity and juicy and lush, but with a very sinister edge. It's very strong and next time I'll only put on a small drop.

Another blend that is all vetiver to me, which once again supports my hypothesis that vetiver.eats.everything.

Well, this is a review of what it smells like on my husband, not me... because if you look at my signature you can tell that it's just not an oil I'd wear myself.

That being said, however, it is one that I ADORE on my husband. It's a dirty, dark, very powerful scent, not one you'd want to wear every day, I don't think. It has a really strong throw of mostly clove smoke and pine pitch from him, though there's a serious complexity to it all. The other notes in there serve to pull it all together and turn it into an absolutely gorgeous skin scent. I can see where some people might equate it to "body odor" or being dirty, but so far that's been a very, very good thing on my man.

Thank you SO MUCH for the frimp, labbies! I'm tossing in a bottle for my hubby with my next order. Rawr!

Wow this is like Jersey Devil & Forbidden Fruit. It's the green pine pitch that's sticking out. It's got a kind of fake plastic sweet smell that I think is gorgeous.

I can feel the spice trying to come through, and sometimes it occasionally does but the sweetness of this blend is winning.

It's definiately an unusual blend and I can imagine this smelling different on every single person. Some people getting tons of spice and smoke and others getting greenery so, I would say even if you think you might not like it. Try it.

The pine pitch goes really soft on me and the other notes fall in behind in a nice sweet blur. I really can't describe it. I love it though.

I was looking forward to this imp, and when I opened it, I got what I expected, a strong, smokey, piney scent, I can smell my friend vetver! Masculine. But there was something funky in the background. On my skin, pine and smoke and something.....something......aughhhhh I smell B.O! :ack: I kept it on for 10 minutes and couldn't stand myself. I smelled stinky and not in a good way. Very strange. I wanted to love this scent but my skin had other plans. I'm sure someone will love this scent and give it a wonderful home.

imp: dark, smoky pine.

wet: very dark, sticky pine resin and rich, smoky vetiver. so dark and beautiful, probably the best outdoorsy scent i've smelled in a long while.

dry: i adore this scent, i may need a bottle though i can't see myself wearing it very often. this is rich, dark pine trees looming all around you with the faint hint of someone in the distance burning pine brush.

In the Imp: smells like the wrong end of a troll… vetiver, vetiver, vetiver, and some faint evergreen

Wet on Skin: woody, faint evergreen, and definitely vetiver; The Boy says "old swamp"

While Drying: eucalyptus or something similar with the sinus-opening effect, wood like the decaying part of a tree lying across a trail in the woods after your boot crushes it

After a Little While: for a while there is a scent I associate with the burning of green vegetation, or maybe a campfire with not-quite-dried-out logs, then doused with water

Later: good scent on The Boy; on me, some of the more disturbing aspects die down, and it becomes a bit sweeter

Final Thoughts: proof that everything should be skin-tested (in the imp, this was *vile* originally), though I like this better on others than on me, and would probably prefer that others not wear it often either; a small amount goes a long way - I barely dabbed it on due to the strength of the smell in the imp. I should note that I have had a few other people sniff this, and each time I open the imp, the vetiver seems to have tamed a bit more... so I might be able to try this again in, oh, 2 or 3 years. ;)

Troll earns a 2/5 on my skin.

:::TROLL:::

This one's got all of the character that could be expected from dwelling within the heart of a mountain or, perhaps, loitering about beneath bridges and demanding a toll from all who wish to cross.

This is a fearless, tenacious, craggy-faced, diamond-munching menacer of the cuddlier woodsmen. In fact, Troll smells as though he's recently snacked on a number of these woodsmen, their tools, pet cats, and newly soggy britches.

There are essences (seemingly) of pine-pitch, Eucalyptol, Vetiver and bitter clove. This is a fragrance to be reckoned with!

On the skin, Troll greens up some, as though belching up a wee bit of sap before lumbering off for a spot of napping amongst the bats and the stalagmites.

This is an enormous and greasy, verdant scent.

This would go well off for a lad looking to make an impression as a tough or a scamp.

On a lady, this would wear as comfortably and naturally as your average beard...

Hmmmmmm, wonder what Terry Pratchett would have to say about this one?

Guy review:

Ah, a hardy, earthy, swarthy scent - scent of the woods obviously pine maybe fir, coming thru strong and prevailing through along with a heavy vetiver presence. Medium-to-strong throw. Yet there is enough wet rich earth and clove in there to keep it in play and more than just a Pine Scent.

This, for me, is definitely wearable on an evening walk alone or with company, or on a morning flight to keep me grounded and fresh.

AND * - * Combined with graveyard dirt brings out the musk (black, brown, earth-musk) and does some interesting things.

So the total composition of this, then, would be pine, vetiver, musk of earth, clove . Well balanced, good mix potential.

I was so looking forward to this scent - the notes sounded good...but I must say, I agree 100% with savage_rose review. :sick:

You know when you read a story and it has the description of sickly sweet rotting flesh? Thats this. :blink: You know the smell of fruity vomit in dance club bathroom? Thats this.

My first thought was german potato salad...the sweet potato salad thats vinegary and filled with bacon...thats this.

Its gross. Its disgusting..Its making me nauseous! :sick2: and wanting to retch...and thats a long shot because hardly anything makes me feel that grossed out. I suffered through almost an hour of it, tried to cover it with wings of azreal...and finally was defeated...went and scrubbed it off with a scalding hot washrag and soap.

From the description, I wasn't sure I'd like this, but I sniffed the imp and was intrigued. Then I tested it on my wrist. Whoa, baby! It works in an amazing way on my skin.

Yesterday I wore it all day and from the first application at 7 a.m.ish to when I went to bed, I was constantly sniffing my wrist and enjoying the scent. At first it starts off very basilish on me, but then it mellows into this nifty woodsy-spicy-herby fragrance (sorry, I'm still learning all of the nuances of scent description).

Completely thrilled with this and will definitely order a bottle next pay day. What a wonderful first BPAL experience!

:joy:

Sue