Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with cactus blossom, sage, and sweetgrass.

In the bottle this is mostly a warm but not buttery pumpkin scent. Once on, it sweetens up florally and the pumpkin really takes a back seat to the cactus blossom and sweetgrass (I think - I don't really know those notes individually but whatever I'm smelling is definitely flowery and not as much pumpkin-y). My nose detects a bit of sage and something slightly musty like hay. After a while I can't really smell the pumpkin at all which is weird because my skin usually loves and amps it. Not sure how I feel about this blend. It's the least autumn-like in my opinion. I'll have to test it again to see if it's a keeper.

out of the bottle, this is mostly pumpkin - a la pumpkin queen, etc. - but on my skin i begin to get the other notes - i can't really define them though, a dry quality, probably the sage. a florally sweetness emerges, perhaps the sweetgrass or cactus flower. it's an interesting combo - sweet yes, but not soapy. and rather delicate. it definitely helps subdue the pumpkin, which i think is a good thing. i really like this a lot actually - i love sweetgrass incense, so, to me, this has an incense quality. and i like the clean, dry feel it gives to this pumpkin blend. if i had one complaint, i'd say the overall blend is maybe a little tame or "safe". it is not a dramatic scent. but good for situations like wearing to work, when you don't want something too crazy or powerful. this is pleasant, and pretty original, i feel.

ETA: trying this again, i have to say this one has really grown on me, and i think i underestimated it, when i first reviewed it. true, the cactus blossom doesn't leap out dramatically, but there is something really relaxed and gently pretty about this blend - a feminine quality and a feeling of the southwest that i really love.

Edited by AliBabble

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Pumpkin 4 is pumpkin with a buttery graham cracker crust (this is the initial smell I get from the whole patch).

As it dries, the graham cracker goes completely away. It's pumpkin with a dry and slightly sweet scent. I think it's mostly the sweetgrass coming out on my skin. I'm getting some sage as well. I'm not sure what cactus flower smells like but it's probably that or the sweetgrass adding the slightly floral kick. It's actually very nice until... it turns into BO. Damn, I wish I knew what note does that.

Verdict: Smells awesome, dry and slightly sweet, until it turns to BO on my skin. I hope my bottle can find a happy home with someone else.

Out of the bottle, there's the familiar buttery smack of pumpkin. Once on, #4 calms down quickly to a lovely blend of dry grass & pumpkin vines - this is the scent of a true pumpkin patch, with sweet straw tucked under plump gourds, the faint scent of bruised leaves & prickly stems.

AliBabble's right, this is a very "safe" scent, encapsulating the natural scent of fall, rather than an overly decadent/devilish/gothic fantasy thereof. It's also a fast scent, going from wet to dry to gone in about 3 hours, if that.

That said, I love this :P It's subtle & lovely, for days when I want to smell nice, just for myself.

Ahh, here is the soapy floral version of the patch for my wonky skin. :P It starts off absolutely wonderful... pumpkin with a dry Southwest feel. Sage and dry sweetgrass, and cactus blossom. The latter unfortunately keeps amping and eventually takes over the blend. It's a strong, heavy, voluptuous floral, like rose, and like a couple rose notes, turns soapy. I hate my skin chemistry, because this was so unique smelling before the soap. Will give it another try in a week or two and see if there's hopefully any difference!

Right out of the bottle this is pure pumpkin. It's not a buttery pumpkin, it's more like I just opened a can of Libbys pumpkin puree, the raw kind with no spices. Once on my skin I am getting a green wet scent coming out that smells like a wet aloe vera plant, or sorta like cucumber. I bet this is the cactus talking. After 15 minutes or so the pumpkin and the cactus have mixed together and mellowed and the sage is peeking through. It's not a musty sage, it's very sweet and it blends perfectly with the raw pumpkin and cactus.

Conclusion? Pumpkin 4 smells like a refreshing wet veggie garden to me. Almost like a salad. It is a very unique Bpal scent and unlike anything else I have sniffed. It's very clean and refreshing.

Mmmm...Halloween in the desert! This is very much a deserty, cactus/sage/sweetgrass scent on me, with the pumpkin providing a marvelous autumnal backdrop to the fresh juicy cactus and the soft grassy herbals of the sage and s-grass. If you like scents like Tenochtitlan, but want something with a heavier, more autumnal feel, this should be a must buy scent.

I like this, but it's a little weird. I dont' think I've ever smelled anything with sweetgrass in it before, so maybe that's what's throwing me off. It's one of those "I like it but could live without it" scents for me.

Everyone's body chemistry does its own thing with scents, but if I had to describe this scent in a few words, I'd call it the embalmed pumpkin, because it reminds me a bit of Embalming Fluid and spicy pumpkin blended together. That's not utterly deranged and nonsensical, because Pumpkin IV has cactus blossom and Embalming Fluid has aloe, and there may be a bit of similarity in those two succulent-derived scents.

But overall, Pumpkin IV starts out pumpkiny and green-spicy, but the sweetgrass blooms strongly on drydown and becomes a bit intense. If I sniffed it too hard, it tickled my nose, and that is the sweetgrass talking. After a half-hour or so, the scent takes on a very green spicy smell with the pumpkin largely in the background. This takes me to a pumpkin patch in September, before it freezes and things are not yet dried out. Someone has run into a patch and broken open a pumpkin -- you get the smell of the green, oozing vines, the trampled grass, spicy late-season florals and the smell of a freshly-broken-open pumpkin. Very much, there's a green, fresh, still-growing quality to this scent that certainly evokes the pumpkin patch in an earlier stage of of its life.

Edited by valentina

PUMPKIN IV - This makes me long for the desert; sometimes I miss it so much that it aches. I miss the scent of the air, the sage, the energy of the land. Pumpkin IV captures that so perfectly that it's as if Beth read my heart and mind.

Wet: I smell pumpkin! I don't get any of the other notes yet.

Dry on Skin: The pumpkin sits strongly but it is not alone. There is a sharp, sweet green scent right off the bat, then in just a few short moments it calms down and an intoxicating floral takes over. And I mean intoxicating: it is sweet, heady, and slightly spicy. This just screams sweet desert floral, so I am sure it must be the cactus blossom. The sage and sweetgrass ebb and flow. They sort of work their way around the cactus blossom and pumpkin; sometimes they fight for center stage and other times they sit in the background to let the other two notes do their thing. They dance around each other beautifully. At times Pumpkin IV even captures the essence of desert air; the way it smells when desert blooms have opened and are scenting the night air. The throw smells a bit different than what I smell up close to my skin; I really like both aspects but I like the throw best.

The pumpkin is a nice contrast to the otherwise desert floral, herb, and grass scent. I really can't describe how heady and intoxicating this is because it is like nothing else I've ever smelled. This is the beauty of the desert. The energy and feeling of it is so perfect for me. Breathtaking!

Edited by alicia_stardust

On me, all I could get from Pumpkin IV was pumpkin. It started to burn before anything else came through so I had to wash it off. I'm sure someone else will appreciate it.

In bottle/imp: Pumpkin with green, fresh herbs and sweetgrass.

Immediately on skin: This is quite different from the other Pumpkins. The pumpkin is there, all warm and yummy, but the sage speaks up and adds a nice green, herbal note to the blend. The sweetgrass adds a nice grass note to the blend, and sweetens it up a bit.

After a few minutes: This is a lovely, soft, warm scent. It’s hard to describe… it’s slightly sweet and herbal and green, but it’s not a crisp scent; it’s just warm and gorgeous. The pumpkin is there, rounding out the whole blend.

Overall Impressions: This blend is just lovely. If the pumpkins are taunting you and you would rather not smell like a dessert, try this one for sure. The sweetgrass and sage add a very nice, sweet herbal feel to the blend, but they are very mellow, warm, and comforting. It’s not very floral and the scent is hard to describe, but the pumpkin blends beautifully with the other notes.

at first: a lighter scent, with a lot of sage and a bit of pumpkin.

on: very fresh and a bit dry

1 hour later: very dry and grassy. i can't really pick the notes out, but i like this a lot.

3 hours later: dry.

7 hours later: a dry, slightly citrussy scent.

overall: this is really nice. i like drier scents, and the addition of pumpkin makes it really interesting.

This is my second favorite of the Pumpkin Plunder.

In the bottle, I get pumpkin, but also a slightly dry spice.

On, the sweetgrass and cactus bloom. It is very desert-like, a combo of the dry landscape with a bruised cactus (ie. a green scent). I thought it would be an intriguing combo, and it is.

When it dries down completely, it soft, dry, and sweet, with just a hint of spice.

I like it and it does remind me of Tenochtilan a bit, but I'm not crazy about it. I tend to prefer heavier/spicier scents.

This is a little more pumpkin than some of the others. Although being as my skin eats pumpkin like nobody's business, it doesn't last long.

At first this was all sage top note when I applied it, but now it's softened and sweetened to a drier almost grassy note. No pumpkin to be smelled, but I think some of the warmth is there. It's a lot sweeter a few hours after wearing than it was initially. It doesn't have a real strong throw, but seems to last pretty well.

Ooooh! So different for what I normally go for but I'm a fan. This reminds me of a GC scent I tried a long time ago...I think it was coyote, but for osem reason that one didn't quite mesh with me. This is slightly sweet yet very dry. Yes some dry grass...definitely a desert scent. But more the edge of the desert where there's still some life flicking about. Very evocative and grand! I actually think this would be fun to wear in the winter.

I was looking forward to Pumpkin IV for the sage and sweetgrass notes, as they are among my favorite scents -- but this, as Jack did, turns immediately from pumpkin to plasticky apple when it hits my skin. Overly sweet, slightly fake, like bad "apple" scented shampoos or bath products. What a bummer. I'll probably put this up for sale.

i originally thought this would be my favorite pumpkin, but it turned out to be unwearable! after the first initial rush of pumpkin when wet, this went all musty and sage on me and not in a pleasant way. i got that plastic-y smell some people talked about and it was somehow strong, green and "wiffy" - which is odd because i LOVE sweetgrass and i love green scents - but this was somehow unpleasantly sharp and wrong. i'm passing on this one :P

In the bottle: Mainly pumpkin. A little bit of something dry and planty.

Wet: The pumpkin base is strong, like all the members of the Patch, but a slightly floral note is floating on top, dry and crackling and sharp and green and delicious. It's a little bit light, natural floral, a little bit herbal, a whole lot wonderful. It tames the rich creaminess of the pumpkin and prevents the blend from being foody.

Dry: Oh, heaven. This is so good. All the notes blend perfectly, no single one sticks out, and the result is pure awesomeness.

It's funny, when I received Pumpkin IV and V and sniffed them in their bottles, I swore that they were mis-labeled. In the bottle, IV smelled so sweet and Pumpkin Queen-esque that I was certain it was actually V but mislabeled. However, once it hit my skin, I knew there was no mistake.

On my skin, I get a bit of a pencil-shavings note, but only on one of the spots I applied to (plus I kind of like it anyway). I got this because I love sweetgrass and there's only one other BPAL blend with it, and this does not disappoint. This is not sweet, foody pumpkin, but fresh pumpkin with fall sage and sweetgrass. THIS is the scent of fall. Oh, it makes me miss living in a place with true fall. Sigh.

This is the one pumpkin that doesn't smell like it! I get a very mild pumpkin note, but this is dominated by a grassy note (I have no idea what a cactus blossom smells like). Very desert like.

Interesting.

In the vial: This is pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin and something savory. It reminds me of the dessert stage at Thanksgiving dinner: You are eating pumpkin pie, but still burping stuffing. Ok, ok that sounds gross. I should say that this is mainly pumpkin, with a touch of savory sage.

On my wrist, wet, there is a tiny moment when it is all the sage and sweet grass, and then it quicly morphs and the floral cactus blossom amps like mad.

What I am left with, on the dry down is tons of cactus blossom; very sharp, almost lemon-metallic, with a bit of sweet grass and sage. The pumpkin is there, but barely. It is dry, almost dusty.

I like the idea of these notes together, but in reality I just amp the cactus blossom too much (i'm iffy with some florals) and it overhwhelms the rest of what seems like a very lovely scent.

Edited by Ohmaude

Mmm. I love this blend. Pumpkin #4 is my definite favorite of this year's pumpkin patch. I'm not too surprised, because Pumpkin V from the first Pumpkin Patch is my all time favorite pumpkin blend (five woods, English ivy and galangal root). It smelled like a natural pumpkin patch in fall to me, and Pumpkin #4 is definitely in that same family. This is like Pumpkin V's sweeter, southwestern cousin.

In the bottle, Pumpkin #4 has a similar crisp-fall-air-over-dead-leaves smell to it at first that I love in Pumpkin Patch V, but there's also a green, herbal tone to this that is a bit sharp, though not sharp enough to bother me.

On my skin, a smoky sage wafts out and dominates. I normally hate smoky scents and I loathe sage from the bad childhood memories it brings me, but this manages to smell sensual and comforting to me. It brings to mind the burning of a beautiful and exotic incense to for the first 10 minutes or so.

I wanted a true dead/falling leaves fragrance this year and this blend comes the closest to that idea. I'm glad this plays so well on my skin and that I don't amp up the cactus blossom. On me, this is a beautiful blend of all of its listed notes, and all of the notes are playing verrry nicely. The cactus blossom and the pumpkin seem to sweeten up on me and lend a creamy touch to the whole blend. The sage becomes less smoky but still adds a sensual bit of magic in the drydown and keeps this blend smelling rather dry and fall appropriate. The sweetgrass just seems to chime in with what smells like a hint of dying meadow grass. All together this is just fantastic on me.

I think this is my definite Halloween love of this year. Creamy, sweet floral and pumpkin, dry and sensual sage, and a dose of dry meadow grass. I'm really happy that this works so well on me :P

I'm not sure I can smell the pumpkin in this one. I'm not a big fan of sage or sweetgrass, and I can't say I really like either of them in this one. Still, it's not bad. It's a dry, autumn scent. Not a creamy or buttery foodie pumpkin, more like the dry pumpkin from Pumpkin Queen last year.

You know, the more I sniff this, the more I like it. It's a warm, comforting scent.

Yeah, I do like this. I thought I wouldn't, but I do.

Pumpkin Four

In the bottle: a bit different from all the other Pumpkins, it's less buttery and greener. Nearly floral, even… that might be because of cactus blossom, I wouldn't know as I'm not familiar with this note.

On my skin: it's weird. Green, quite sharp, it makes me think of Spring rather than Autumn. I don't dislike it, it's actually pretty refreshing but that's not what I was expecting from a Halloween perfume.

After a while: mostly grassy. If I didn't know there was pumpkin in it, I might even miss it. It's very different from the other 4.

Verdict: interesting but I'll pass for now.