Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with cactus blossom, sage, and sweetgrass.

Grassy pumpkin. The pumpkin starts out kind of buttery, then the plant life comes through. Works pretty well on my skin, and I like it enough to wear the decant that I have! Probably not my favorite of the Pumpkin Patch (that's probably V), but this is not bad at all.

Wet this is very buttery pumpkin (more so than in other pumpkin blends I've tried) and there's a hint of sweet spice. When first on it's the same buttery pumpkin note mixed with some sweet and herbal notes. After a couple hours the pumpkin has softened, the buttery note is gone and now it's almost "dusty" smelling. This dries down to a very soft and lightly sweet pumpkin mixed with herbal notes. Nice.

Wet, the pumpkin is very rich and buttery, but this phase seems to fade a little faster than it did when it was new. This is a good thing, because for all the pumpkins, the non-pumpkin notes have been swallowed in the pumpkin, and they've all smelled almost the same to me. Now that they're beginning to age, the pumpkin is finally playing a little more nicely.

Once dry, after about 10-15 minutes, the rich pumpkin has faded WAY to the background, and the predominant quality is now very grassy. I was just going to say, it smells just like the pieces of sweet grass that I used to get from the basket ladies in Charleston, when I was a kid. Then I looked at the notes again, and hey, what do you know? It contains sweet grass!

After about 30 minutes, the sage is a little more prominent. It's a dry, slightly spicy sage. I can't pick out the cactus flower, but that's because I don't know what to look for. My nose picks up the sage as the top note, the sweet grass as the middle, and a rich pumpkin providing the foundation. The grassy notes are definitely the dominant ones, but the pumpkin is not faint or hidden.

I think there's a good balance of dry and rich notes here. It's a grassy scent, but a succulent one. I was expecting it to be my least favorite of the pumpkins, and it is, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's a fan of sweet grass.

The throw is on the light side of average, but the wear life is better than average. Up to 10 hours later, I could still smell it on my wrist without having to hunt for it.

Edited by naeelah

In the imp, I get pumpkin and sage - a lovely, unexpected combination.

The pumpkin falls WAY back on my skin - all I get is sage and sweetgrass.

When it dries, the pumpkin is non-existent - it's dry, sweet, very mellow and soft and warm. I'll need more of this.

Nice, slightly spicy and the driest pumpkin I have tried yet. Very rich, very green, but I think the Sage and sweetgrass compliment each other nicely!!!

So far, this one smells the least like pumpkin to my nose. I love the sage in it (mind you I love sage in BPAL blends), it makes it quite a savoury fragrance overall.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this oil...I looove pumpkin, but I don't really like greens...

In the bottle I smell spicy pumpkin with a whiff of something green underneath. It's very interesting.

Once on my skin it's a burst of buttery pumpkin, which slowly starts to fade into the greens. This must be the sweetgrass and sage. Mmm. Very pleasant, and I'm not usually one to enjoy green scents that much.

A lovely late summer/fall scent. Too bad I just got this as it is approaching springtime! I'll probably let this one age and bring it out in the fall!

When I wear this I feel like I should be out taking a hike on a cool desert night or something.

Ok. On full drydown this smells like fresh, buttery pumpkin from far away, and grassy/floral tinged with pumpkin up close. I like it!

Pumpkin IV – This is another great new Pumpkin Patch blend. I love the scent of pumpkin blended with cactus blossom and sage. I don’t smell the sweet grass at all. This reminds me of southern New Mexico. The pumpkin in this blend is a bit too sweet for my preferences, but otherwise, it’s really fabulous. Low throw and moderate staying power.

In the bottle – Pure pumpkin

Wet on me – Pumpkin with a sweet, green, herbal undercurrent

Dry on me – The pumpkin remains the main scent, with just a touch of the herbs.

Overall – On me this was a pretty unremarkable blend.

I got this in a swap on a whim but I actually love this one. It's smells a bit cloying when wet but when it dries down it becomes this gorgeous sweet sage sensation that is soo me!

Expectations: I really don't think I'll like this, and am only trying it because I bought them as a set. Sage sounds like a bad idea, mainly because eating it gives me a stomachache so I doubt there will be good mental associations from smelling it.

In vial: Pumpkin with a hint of grass and spice. This is the pumpkin before it's been picked. Not as bad as I anticipated.

On skin, wet: Ok, maybe it is as bad as I anticipated. My skin instantly soaked up all the pumpkin. At least the dominant scent is sweetgrass, and not sage.

On skin, dry: The whole thing faded quickly, which I'm thankful for as it's reminding me of some kind of household cleanser.

After time: I've only given it about 15 minutes, but I think I give up. Still smells like cleanser and I have to plaster my nose to my arm to smell even that, which is making my nose tickle.

Conclusion: Not even close to pumpkin. I'm really disappointed with these pumpkins so far. I'd imagined pumpkin with a hint of other things, rather than other things with a hint of pumpkin.

This is the only pumpkin scent I've tried of the patch... I was supposed to get 4 and 5 but ended up with 2 fours! Oooops!

Ok so when wet, this is extremley buttery and sweet. Very pumpkin dominated, I love the wet stage I think it's gorgeous, this kind of buttery foody smell is not something I'd usually go for but the more times I apply, the more I'm loving it. One person commented it almost smells like butter biscuits and I agree. It's very smooth...

The green side of this only starts to emerge on dry down, it turns to a kind of...perfumey green grass scent. Almost a floral herby/grass. I really like this stage too. And the pumpkin is almost not there at all, or..only there a tiny bit if I sniff hard and concentrate.

I really really want to to try all of the rest of the set now, especially number 5!!!

*goes on the hunt*

Ouch!

Wet, this is creamy, buttery, sweet autumn pumpkin.

After some chemistry mingling and dry down, the sage comes out - a burly, full sage. The sweetgrass also joins in the party.

As others have noticed, the pumpkin actually fades quite a bit after the initial drydown, and sits in the background as a supporting role.

I guess it could be nice, but something happens in there that gives a slight body-odor note. I don't know what it is, but it's totally unappealing on me.

Off for frimpage!

2.5 out of 5

As I wrote in the Pumpkin III thread, the pumpkin note when it's fresh does NOT like me. However, I love it in the bottle, and I always look longingly at the Pumpkin Patch scents.

So being the masochist I am, I put Pumpkin III on one arm today and Pumpkin IV on the other one, just, you know, in case something had changed since last year... and the year before... etc.

It did! Both scents aged into something beautiful on my skin. Pumpkin IV sits close to the skin and makes me smell like a sun warmed pumpkin patch. It doesn't smell fallish to me at all. It's the occasional late September heat wave that bakes the earth and everything growing in it. I smell pumpkins on the vine, baked earth and a hot, dry green smell of sage and sweetgrass.

What have I learned today? That I really should just bite the bullet, order the complete pumpkin patch and then hide them from myself for a year. This is another bottle I want.

Wow! The first pumpkin scent where I can actually detect squash. Yum! But even here, during the wet stage I can only smell sweet, dry desert florals (oof, I LOVE sweetgrass!). Dry, the buttery pumpkin deliciousness emerges. But this is not a pie! This is a baked slice of pumpkin, slathered with butter, honey, and a touch of salt!! CHOMP!

Edited by nightbiscuit

In the bottle and wet: Buttery pumpkin with a hint of something herbal in the background.

Dry: The butter fades and I am left with what fall smells like: pumpkin, wonderful sage and sweetgrass. I like this a lot.

Huh. Pumpkin IV is really perfumey to me. I can smell pumpkin under it, but just barely. There's a whole bunch of high notes in the way. I didn't expect this, but I guess the cactus blossom and the sage are amping and going high on me. Eeesh. Not for me, this one. Oh, well.

at first sniff, i get pumpkin and…pickles? there’s something sour, vinegar-like, and i have no idea what it is. it may be due to the age of this decant, now over a year old. luckily, it quickly fades, and the unmistakable sweet scent of sage comes out in full force. if you’ve ever had pumpkin ravioli with sage butter, you know that this little green herb has quite a love affair with the autumnal orange gourd. they complement each other so well. i couldn’t tell you what cactus blossom or sweetgrass smell like, so who knows if i’m smelling them, but the pumpkin and sage form a perfect duo all by themselves.

In the bottle I smell the rich squashy pumpkin mixed up with some herbs. On wet the pumpkin stays in the foreground, but as it dries the sweet grass really comes out to play and dominates along with the sage. It's a very herbal blend in the long run on me and not what you'd traditionally think of as perfume (which is why I love BPAL so much). I think this is going to be a great mentally centering blend for me and it was still there hours and hours later with the last but of warm pumpkin holding onto my skin :P I love grass blends and this sweet grass is really interesting!

Starts off really earthy and herbal, which is a pleasant surprise because most of the pumpkin blends tend to be on the foody side. However, after drydown, this turns really sweet. There is still a herbal bite that mingles with pumpkin, but it is a little to sweet. Where's the spice?

Mmmm. sweet green moist pumpkin! This is great. Cactus blossom makes this sharp for a moment and then mellows to a soft green pumpkin while the sage becomes more notable.

This weekend brought the first hint of fall weather, so of course I had to whip out an autumnal scent. In the imp, this is pretty sweet pumpkin with a little bit of green going on. The non-pumpkin bits jump to the forefront once it's on. It remains a fairly subtle scent--actually a great choice for a day that's not quite summer, not quite fall. Pumpkin IV straddles the seasons quite well.

My first pumpkin patch!

Sniff: Buttery pumpkin, sweet

Wet: The grass notes come out to play! Slightly herbal, but not sharp at all, thanks to the creamy pumpkin note. It's not as sweet now; as it warms, it becomes green and more savory than sweet. It's lighter than expected, almost wispy.

Dry: Stays light and soft. Not quite dusty enough to be a desert scent, but close. A wonderful gentle mix of pumpkin & herbs, reminds me of hay bales in a grassy autumn field.

It's been a number of years since the last review - just got my hands on an aged bottle :tongue:

Wet: slightly spicy, slightly buttery pumpkin with a dryness to it - altho pumpkin is definitely there, it's not really a heavy/gourmand type of scent

Drydown: the pumpkin fades into the background fairly quickly (less than 30 mins), leaving behind a dry, sweet herby floral with just a hint of warmth to ground it and keep it from going full desert. It's quite lovely (especially for a warm fall day when you want something seasonally appropriate but a heavy foody scent just doen't seem right), but unfortunately stays very very close to the skin (after an hour I can only catch a trace if i smash my nose into my wrist) and disappears all to quickly on me :( glad i got my hands on a bottle for slathering, but i can see myself reaching for other, longer-lasting pumpkins more.

i really love all the notes here and what they're doing - just wish it lasted longer/had more throw!