Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with tobacco, champa flower, carnation, and tonka.

In the bottle, this is pumpkin with a touch of spice.

On the skin, it's pumpkin with a touch of something fruity and almost juicy. There's still a bit of spice there so that must be the carnation, but it's blending well with the rest of the notes -- just adding a spicy warmth to the blend. The longer it wears the less pumpkin it is -- when it was first applied, in the first few seconds it was PUMPKIN. Now, it's much quieter and blending with the rest of notes. This is reminding me a lot of Pumpkin Queen which is fantastic as I adore Pumpkin Queen.

It sticks close and doesn't have a lot of throw. Sniffing my wrist from a bit farther away the tobacco and carnation are more apparent, whereas if I have my nose plastered against my arm it is all spicy warmth and I can smell the pumpkin.

The longer it wears, the more the spice is coming out on me.

It just smells damn good! Not super foody, just spicy and warm - delicious. I have to get another bottle of this. :wub2:

in the bottle, there's something down there, deep, dark and strange, blending with the pumpkin. i can't name it, but suspect it's the tobacco. on my skin, i think it probably was the tobacco, and somthing sharp-ish comes out. i can't say that i smell the carnation, but something like a caramel-y floral is emerging. i guess this has something to do with the tonka, champaca, or actually, the pumpkin. this is a dark, rich smell - the only hint of carnation i get, is its spicy essence, but i can't say it smells like the carnation scents i am accustomed to. i do like this scent - it is smoky and mysterious, and quite autumnal. the pumpkin is not overwhelming, but it's definitely present. very, very well-blended, and a bit incense-y. starts out odd, ends up beautiful.

The Lab sent my missing bottle so I can review this now!

Pumpkin II - In the bottle: ah, this is the warm pumpkin smell that I didn't get from #1 or #4 (but not buttery or foody). After dry down there is a warm, spicy kick that blends with the and there's a soft floral note underneath. I can detect the carnation (reminds me of Lush's Potion) and something kind of gingery. It compliments the pumpkin nicely. If #4 was an end of summer blend this is definitely a beginning of fall blend when the days are warm in the sun and cool at night and there's no humidity. This is my second favorite of the new Pumpkin Patch.

Those who have read my other Pumpkin Patch reviews know where this is going... Pumpkin 2 is initially all pumpkin with a graham cracker crust.

The graham cracker smell fades away upon drydown, and the pumpkin is complimented nicely by the smoothness of tonka and tobacco. I can't really tell if the champa flower is coming into play because I don't know what that smells like. I know I'm not getting any carnation. It's a very round smooth scent. Reminds me somewhat of A Bold Bluff, probably because of the tonka, but with a tinge of pumpkin. Even though there's still pumpkin, it's not there as much as in the other Patch scents.

Verdict: I like it. Smooth and sophisticated.

This is a little better than Pumpkin Patch #1. It's turning off too sweet and a bit vanilla and inspite of how strongly it smells of pumpkin in the bottle, it doesn't come out on me.

I haven't tried any bpal pumkpin before so you will have to forgive me not having that to compare to..

In the bottle this is so :P sweet pumpkin, with vanilla similar to bigger critters. I don't get any tabacco or carnation which is what i chose this blend for :D. No spice here for me. It is very sweet in the bottle but also very 'thick smelling'. My skin seems to eat all the pumpkin unfortunately and i am left with just an overpowering sweetness. After about an hour i had to wash it off as it was too much for me. I am hoping its not the pumpkin note my skin hates and that maybe its the champa flower :D when i get some decants of others i will know more...

off to swaps..

Edited by khiseer

This is one delicious pumpkin!

Wet and for quite a long time, the tobacco and faint hint of carnation make this deep and spicy. I think the tobacco, especially, keeps it from being too foody. I would never have guessed that pumpkin and tobacco could work so well together.

The tobacco and carnation fade after a few hours, and if I put my nose too close to my wrist at that point, it's just a tiny bit plasticky, but not from a distance. I added a bit more, and all was well again.

After a few more hours, it's a little like pumpkin spice pot pourri or candle, but not in a bad or synthetic or cloying way. It still smells good, but without the depth. This isn't a complaint -- the initial scent is so worth the less complex dry down.

This is so much... nicer than I was expecting. I mean, I was hoping it would smell good, which it does, but it's so... inoffensive. I get the usual slap of buttered pumpkin at first, but then it quiets down into a faintly spicy, very cidery scent. It's sweet, but in a ripe apple way, not the warm, heady funk of tonka I was hoping for. The tobacco peeps out once in a while, adding a whiff of smokiness, but overall, Pumpkin 2 is a well behaved scent. It is, however, perfect for an Indian Summer's day, when I want to smell like fall, but the deep myrrhs & boozey scents are too much.

Well, it's official. Carnation seems to really amp on my skin. Of all things! :P

Wet: Delicious pumpkin, spicy/juicy carnation, and a hint of tobacco and champa if I don't sniff right on my wrist.

Dry: Carnations. And a tiny bit of squishy pumpkin, but not much at all really.

Pumpkin II

In bottle: Buttery pumpkin and spice. Yum! :D

Wet: Oh no! It's changing on me, and becoming sweeter and more like cheap sugar candy. Where has the pumpkin gone?

Drydown: It's becoming overpoweringly sweet. Now it smells like Lush's Creamy Candy BBS. Not a scent I'm a fan of, unfortunately.

Dry: Still Creamy Candy, but has settled down somewhat with the toothache-inducing sweetness.

Verdict: I will try it once more, but at this point I likely won't keep it. :P

Ooh la la. At first sniff this is all warm and cozy pumpkin. There is maybe a weee baby hint of butter in there but it is well behaved. The pumpkin note sticks around for a long time but after about 20 minutes I am getting a hint of the carnation. It's very sweet and almost candy smelling, almost like sweet tarts. I'm not getting any of the tobacco which I am happy about because tobacco blends usually set off headaches on me. To me this is mostly warm pumpkin + carnation that smells like sweet tarts. After an hours it fades out and I am getting a vanillaish hint of the tonka left on my skin. Gorgeous and super girly! :P

On me, Pumpkin II smelled like pumpkin and tobacco. Unfortunately, it started to burn so I had to wash it off. I'm sure someone else will love it.

I was really looking foward to this one after discovering how much I enjoyed the tobacco/caramel mix in Tiresias. I thought the pumpkin and tobacco would have to be fabulous as well.

It's sweet and light when I put it on. I'm not really getting the tobacco, but I wait for it to develop.

Ten minutes later it's gone! My skin just devoured it. It was pretty while it lasted, and it might have developed into something really nice if my chemistry could have sustained it.

at first: pumpking, tobacco, and flowers.

on: lovely flowers and tobacco with a bit of pumpkin.

3 hours later: a powdery tobacco and floral blend. there's just a hint of pumpkin in the background.

5 hours later: faintly floral.

overall: very pretty. an interesting take on a pumpkin blend.

PUMPKIN II - Warm and spicy and oh-so-divine.

Wet: In the bottle I smell strong pumpkin with a hint of butter, and behind that there is a very characteristic tobacco smell. It hides beneath the pumpkin but I still found it.

Dry on Skin: The pumpkin is no longer buttery. It is pure pumpkin and floral-spice. As it dries on my skin I no longer detect much of the tobacco, though after a while I do think it helps contribute to the spiciness of this blend. It is so very warm and spicy; not spicy hot like cinnamon, but spicy floral from the carnation. The champaca lends a bit of sweetness to this pumpkin spice, and although there is already an element of warmth to this scent, the tonka jumps in and pushes it further into that hypnotic vanilla realm.

This is a gorgeous and spicy pumpkin blend!! It is very well-rounded and intoxicating. Comforting. I am so in love with it!

The thing I really love the most about all of this year's Pumpkin Patch scents is how... refined they are. They are pure works of art. They are complex and subtle and they take you on a little autumn scent journey. They are also, for the first time ever, the type of pumpkin I can wear. Those who can't wear Jack, take heart! These are *gorgeous*. Try them!

OMFG...this is heaven in a bottle...rich heady tobacco and tonka (one of my most favoriteist BPAL combos ever), with spicy sweet carnation and chambaca...and a fruity, not at all bakery-like pumpkin. TO. DIE. FOR.

This is like Mme. Moriarty gone Halloween, with pumpkin instead of plum...sultry, spicy, heady and absolutely gorgeous!

This is a warm, comforting pumpkin, not like Jack, which is butter pumpkin of death on me. Initally when I put it on, I couldn't distinguish what the sweet smell I was getting was, but it overpowered all the pumpkin-ness. Pumpkin did come to the forefront for awhile, but was ballanced nicely with the other notes.

Now after a few hours of wearing it, my skin amped the carnation way up, so I'm getting a warm carnation scent with undertones of faint pumpkin. But mainly carnation, just warmed up a tad. The only way I can describe it really is that it's very pleasant.

I was really, really anticipating this one, and usually that's the kiss of death... sigh. But not this time! This is just a great scent -- I love the combination of ingredients, they play off each other so beautifully. The pumpkin and tonka initially tend to soften the champca flowers and tobacco, two components that can be a little too much for me at first if they aren't properly tempered with something else. The carnation emerges after an hour or so, and gives an almost clove-like fragrance to the blend. I can't say that I get lots of pumpkin in this scent, except it's there, but only as an undercurrent. This isn't a "granny's cookin' pumpkin pie in the kitchen smell," this is a "granny's smoking clove cigarettes and burning nag champa on the balcony while you eat some Village Inn pumpkin pie that she picked up on the way home from the head shop." And I mean that as a compliment! I don't want to frighten away people who love the comforting food scents, my body chemistry tends to insinuate head shop smells, and I find them comforting and endearing. Anyway, I think this is a beautiful scent, especially so if you enjoy a fragrances like Urd or Madame Moriarty. Very bottle-worthy, perhaps in multiples.

In bottle/imp: Pumpkin with tobacco and champa flower.

Immediately on skin: This is buttery and warm with some very warm flowery notes coming through. The champa is evident, and the carnation is there, but it’s very light.

After a few minutes: The champa flower has become the main note on me… but it’s a very sweet floral. The carnation seems to be adding that “sweet” feel to the blend, while the pumpkin and tonka make it slightly creamy and yummy.

Overall Impressions: A beautiful, sweet, floral pumpkin. If you like champa flower or carnation, try this one out. The tonka and pumpkin blend in beautifully to give the blend a creamy, solid base. This is a super-feminine blend on me, so be careful if you don’t like those types of scents.

I was hoping this would be gorgeous, because the notes sound so wonderful. I imagined it kind of like Pumpkin incense with a kick of carnation. I was very excited by this one.

In the bottle, it is quite interesting: sweet tobacco and something warm and syrupy and a hint of pumpkin, with just a hint of an incense-like floral (which I bet is the champaca). On, it is first just wonderful--all those notes swirling up just like I imagined. As it dries, the sweet tobacco notes take over, but I still quite like it.

Then something bad happens, and it turns to play-doh. I am not at all happy with this, and thought at first it was just a fluke (or I somehow mixed 1 and 2 together, because alas, Pumpkin 1 is straight up Play-doh on me).

But no, it is Pumpkin 2. I don't know what note does it, but sadly, this is not for me.

This smells like a pumpkin soaked in Red Lantern. Tobacco definitely dominating on my skin, and yet there are other notes from Red Lantern that I smell in this Or perhaps my brain just thinks there is because I'm so used to linkjing tobacco to Red Lantern. But someone earlier mentioned a touch of caramel....and that was in red lantern. A deep, almost scandalous fall scent.

This is my favorite of all the 07 Pumpkins! I LOVE Pumpkin II! It is awesome. In the bottle is is a warm, buttery pumpkin. On the skin, the florals come out but are very sublte. The tobacco is not all that strong on me, but gives an overall smokey flavor to it. I think I'll need to buy another bottle of this one.

So far, I like this pumpkin. It's less sweet and pumpkiny than the rest, with a touch of spice and a light carnation to it. Very pretty and very much autumn. Very enjoyable.

Wet: like all of the pumpkins this starts out as overwhelming buttery pumpkin.

Dry: Spicy floral with a touch of pumpkin. Very warm and the floral is blended pretty well. There's more of a butteryness that sticks around with this one than in, say Pumpkin I.