Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with tobacco, champa flower, carnation, and tonka

Apparently I amp pumpkin and not in a good way. sighs

This was far too buttery sweet and foody, kinda like popcorn. I think I caught the carnation and champa flower bravely trying to peek through but again (like PP 1) I had to wash this off.

Edited to add lab description. Edited by sedona

Starts with sweet pumpkin and smoky tobacco, but after about fifteen minutes or so, the champaca and tonka take center stage, kind of like the drydown of Vasakasajja but with velvety pumpkin instead of the tart orchid it somehow becomes more cuddly than sexy. I like my decant, I'm trying to decide if I need a bottle. I never got the carnations at all, but that's OK, I don't miss them :P

This is mainly pumpkin and champa on my skin. In fact, when I tested this at first without looking at the notes, I could not tell what the other notes in it besides these two were. It's a bit like headshop + pumpkin pie, which is certainly not a bad thing in my book as I enjoy the smell of both. :P As it dries the smell mellows out a bit and I can smell a touch of tobacco in the background. This one's lovely, warm and a bit sensual; it lasts quite a while as well, fading to a faint spicy pumpkin in the end. Delicious!

Edited by euterpe414

This smells like pumpkin, pipe smoke, and carnation. I mean, that's what it's supposed to smell like. It's really nice, but just kind of a little too sweet and oppressive, and it was also pretty sharp before the drydown. If you like pipe smoke, though, this one is totally for you - the smell is very true and very intriguing.

Imp: Totally buttery pumpkin with a bit of tobacco peeking through.

Wet: The pumpkin is in the background on the skin, with a lovely tobacco/champaca duo on top.

Drying: Unfortunately, my skin amps champaca flower in a major way. So really I end up with a champaca single note for several hours. In the late dry down its a faded almost honeyed champaca with hints of tonka. I can't really smell pumpkin at all.

Overall: This definitely does strike me as a not-very-pumpkiny pumpkin patch, so worth trying if that's what you're looking for. I don't really need another champaca-one-note blend, though, so I'm gonna pass. Khajuraho smells pretty much like this on me, since I amp the c.flower so much!

eta: a year later, and this is still strong on the champaa on me, but i'm also getting an almost wintergreeny tinge from it. weird!

Edited by jewelbug

My skin eats pumpkin notes as quickly as I eat pumpkin pies!

Which isn't bad, because then I am left with this really.. sweetened floral that is lovely. I love the lab's carnation so that paired with the tonka and champa (I get very little tobacco - and thank god for that!) makes this just gorgeous. It is floral but a really sort of.. fresh, modern floral. I like it.. a lot..

I love the way pumpkin smells and I was crossing my fingers that this wouldn't be the disaster that was Jack. I picked Pumpkin II because it had no other "foody" notes like vanilla.

In the bottle: Sweet and floral-ish. I'm not smelling pumpkin yet. I think I smell tobacco first. I opened this with Bear in the room and he said that all it smelled like "spices, but no pumpkin." I think he's picking the carnation note first, possibly also the champa flower.

Wet on skin: It immediately warms up and now I can smell the pumpkin and tonka, which is blending with the carnation to create this lovely rounded, warm, spiced pumpkin scent. Here's hoping that bizarre foody accord doesn't make itself known...

Dry: A SUCCESS!!!! I have found THE PERFECT autumn scent for me! It doesn't smell too different on me dry than it does wet, but man does it work well with my chemistry. I barely dabbed it on and immediately I exude scent for the next 12 hours (Bear woke up the next morning and said, "Mmmm, you still smell like pumpkin.").

Throw and wearlength: Fairly strong on me and the wearlength is very very long.

This is very different from any of the 10 other PP scents. This is soft, seductive, feminine, and lovely. The pumpkin note provides a warm, rich undertone to a beautifully soft, fragrant floral overtone. I love tonka always, and combining it with pumpkin was a very good idea. The carnation note is nice, it's not too strong, which is usually a turn off for me.

The longer I wear this, the more th rich, warm buttery quality of this blend comes out. This is really very lovely. I don't think Beth cold create a PP scent I wouldn't love!

Pumpkin II

In the imp: rich ‘Pumpkin Queen’ pumpkin with a hint of extra sweetness.

Wet on skin: pumpkin, with maybe just a hint of champaca, but it’s mainly a sweet cooked pumpkin.

Dry: now I can smell hints of champaca (very sweet but not cloying yet) and tobacco (softly smoky and dry), and maybe some tonka too. There’s something spicy about this which I’m guessing is the carnation, but it’s not an obvious carnation like that of Pink Moon. It’s still dominated by pumpkin though. it reminds me of Dr John Seward, with the opium note replaced with pumpkin. Here’s to hoping the champaca behaves!

After a while: champaca has a habit of amping and it does so in here, but it doesn’t turn cloying like it can do. It smells like the champaca in Temple Viper now, strong but not overwhelming. The pumpkin is still there, and it and the champaca are the dominant notes here. the tobacco and tonka play background roles here.

The champaca gradually turns slightly incense like, maybe because of the tobacco, it is sweet but I’m surprised that it’s not turning oversweet, especially with the pumpkin there. This is actually a really interesting scent, almost like floral pumpkin incense. It is smooth and gently smoky and warm and foody, the pumpkin adding a hint of something gourmand and slightly buttered to the scent. it’s like Hellion, but not as dark and smoky, and with foody aspect. It doesn’t morph too much and the drydown is a pleasant pumpkin and champaca scent with a hint of tobacco.

Verdict: another unusual but surprisingly good take on the pumpkin genre. This reminds me of the strong but not cloying champaca from Temple Viper, but with pumpkin instead of resins. I really like the smokiness of the tobacco and the spicy carnation. Combined with pumpkin this makes for a unique combination! It’s good, but I still prefer the resinous incense vibe of Temple Viper if I need a champaca fix.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I like it but it’s not a favourite, so I may pass this one on.

If you like this, try: Temple Viper, Khajuraho, Hellion, Dr John Seward, Pumpkin Queen, Vaskakajja

Pumpkin II (2007) – This is a gorgeous blend. The pumpkin is rich, sweet, and warm and blends gorgeously with the creamy warmth of the tonka, the dry, husky warmth of the tobacco and champaca, and the very faint spicy warmth of the carnation. The carnation is not the least bit floral in this blend, it just adds a hint of spice to the scent. It’s really a beautiful blend that is very warm and cozy, but not in a typical foody kind of way.

the pumpkin is very nutty in this. this is a warm spicy pumpkin, and so well blended it's difficult to separate the notes at first. i smell a bit of floral from the champaca flower, but can't sense the carnation, except for some spiciness in the background. this is nice, and i am glad i got to try it, even if i don't wear pumpkin all that much.

In the bottle – Pure pumpkin

Wet on me – Very reach, creamy pumpkin with a hint of the spicy-herby scent of either the tobacco or the nag-champa (or both)

Dry on me – Dark, almost smoky herbs softened by the sweetness of the pumpkin

Overall – I don’t really know, I can’t get a clear impression in my head

PUMPKIN II, 2007

In Bottle: Smoky floral pumpkin

On Skin: The florals in this start out as the strongest notes. The champa flower is strong and bright, the carnation more muted and soft with bitter spice. The tobacco is nice and smoky but with the tonka sweetens up beautifully. The pumpkin is the lightest note, just softly in the background. This is a nice blend and isn’t foody at all. It has moderate throw and short to average wearlength.

Expectations: Very wary. I don't see how much good can come of mixing flowers and tobacco into my beloved pumpkins.

In vial: The first whiff was rich buttery pumpkin, but when I inhaled deeper I got mostly carnation.

On skin, wet: All floral. It tickles my nose a little.

On skin, dry: The faintest hint of pumpkin returned. It's also a little powdery.

After time: The pumpkin and florals are starting to blend together better. The pumpkin part has more throw than the rest, so I like it better at a distance than when I directly sniff my wrist.

Conclusion: It's not an unpleasant scent, but I don't think I care much for tobacco or carnation, and there are better pumpkins to be had.

Initial impression:

I get a waft of pumpkin pie, tonka and an almost nutty-chocolately note that shouldn't be there, logically.

First on:

Warm pumpkin pie, with a light floral to it.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's very floral and the tonka is shining through underneath, but the pumpkin is absent.

Another 20 mins gone by, it's a bit better with the pumpkin and tonka, and there's a tiny hint of tobacco in there, but it's mainly florals.

Finally:

A lovely, charming, comforting and uplifting scent – I'm glad I got to try it. :P However, it was a tad too floral for me.

Full disclosure: Pumpkin scares me. I used to have a pumpkin pie body wash/shampoo by Philosophy (the only one of the Cookbook set I used) that I adored. And there are all those articles that say pumpkin pie is the most appealing smell to me. But when I tried Jack... Holy microwave popcorn, Batman! The lab's pumpkin has a history of going fake-butter smell on me, which is not appealing. But every year I long for the pumpkins even though I think they won't work. Finally, I got my courage up to try them and a super kind person scent me some sniffies of Pumpkins II and IV to try. I will be brave!

In the imp: Buttery pumpkin overlaid with something sweet and floral. I only catch the floral at the back of my palate, the front is all butter and pumpkin. This is a thick scent.

Wet on skin: Upon application this is a bit less thick and buttery. I'm able to smell a bit of the carnation as floral spice and the champaca is sweetening the pumpkin while also thinnging it out. (I'm always confused when I see champaca flower as a note. Is it frangipani or is it different?)

Early dry down (10 minutes): This is really surprising me. I expected the combination of pumpkin, tobacco and tonka to be really rich and deep, but this is developing into something light and sweet. It reminds me of Hetairae. It is slightly fruity (the same kind of vaguely grape/berry/plum fruit that I get from both dragon's blood and ylang ylang) over something almost brandy-like (although more like peach brandy than straight-up brandy).

Half hour mark: This really pretty, and not at all what I was expecting. The scent still reminds of me of Hetairae, but also of Nature's Gate Hawaiian Awapui shampoo and conditioner. It's that kind of light, sweet floral that is almost more fruit and honey to my nose than it is flowers. The tonka base allows this to stay rounded and soft, while other notes play way up high on my palate. This is pretty, VERY feminine, and sophisticated. It speaks to me of floaty chiffon dresses and floral and leafy garlands in your hair. The pumpkin is just a background note, deepening and sweetening this blend.

I think I love this.

There's some nice, creamy sweetness from the pumpkin, tobacco, and tonka bean, but I really hate carnation - it gives me an instant headache.

This scent is smooth and sweet and yummy, but the carnation clashes for me because I really don't like that note.

I will pass on my decant!

3.5 out of 5

What a difference between wet and dry...

Wet, I get buttery pumpkin and it makes me slightly nauseated. But when it dries, wow does it go lovely. The tobacco is slightly sweet and the carnation is gorgeous. I love this scent and am damned glad I got a bottle of it.

Imp: Buttery pumpkin with a floral edge.

Wet: The tobacco is very much in the foreground. It blends with the tonka for a rich creamy smell. The warm pumpkin is in the back ground with just a hint of the spicy florals.

Dry: A very mellow baked pumpkin. Instead of the usual pie spices this is flavored with the incenses of far off lands. Gorgeous and unexpected.

In decant: This smells like straight pumpkin to me.

Wet: Whoah ~ there are berries and nuts in here! No, wait: the nutty smell is probably the tobacco blending with the tonka. Dunno what champa flower is, but maybe it and the carnation are doing the berry smell. Huh. There's some pumpkin here, but mostly it's submerged under the riot of other stuff.

Wah. The carnation is going a little bit soapy on me.

Later: this dried down to a very faint pumpkin with extra sweetness. It's nice, but not spectacular on me. At least the soapiness was a short-term thing.

This is the one pumpkin I had the most hopes for last year, but I didn't know then that I amp pumpkin like nobody's business so the whole pumpkin patch smelled pretty much the same to me back then. A year later and the pumpkin has calmed down significantly.

First I smell pumpkin, then something green and herbal like, settling into something floral - probably the carnation. I can smell the tonka, it is giving an overall comforting warmth. Unfortunately the tobacco turns slightly soapy on me, but not enough to be off putting. Probably my favorite of last year's pumpkins.

Pumpkin 2 reminds me of salt water taffy for some reason, then dries down to freshly sawn wood. I love and am still wearing some of the punkin's from 2005, and prefer them, but this subtle autumn scent is also enjoyable.

This is a gorgeous pumpkin bread in the beginning drying down to pumpkin/cherry tobacco close to the skin, and a nice light carnation throw.

It does fade rather quickly.

This will be great for the fall!

In this blend the pumpkin is not so buttery and creamy, but really tart and spicy with the addition of carnation. The tonka lends some sweetness, but this is mainly spicy, floral pumpkin.

Edited by Schmoozy

All I can think is HOLY COW strong. I open the decant and am almost blown away with spice.

I can get a hint of pumpkin, but nothing compared to the strength of the other notes. I can see what people mean by "buttery" I'm getting a hint of that too. Unfortunately the strength of it makes my stomach turn, almost akin to rotten milk. I'm just not a fan.