Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

What's the least feminine rose scent?

For me I think it would be Rose Cross. The spices tone it down so it's not so "floral" for lack of a better term.

What's the least feminine rose scent?

:P Dee - such a warm, sexy masculine scent. And it smells gorgeous on me (although I really have an undying love for the fragrances that others review as 'would smell great on my boyfriend/husband/partner' so your mileage may vary). The rose is a supporting note on me but most definitely present.

Pulcinella and Teresina is another good non-girly rose scent. That said, it really isn't masculine either and could be worn by either gender. Certainly worth a look if you like rose with wood notes.

While Thanatos might not be the very least feminine blend, it does have an ever so slight masculine edge to it IMO. And it's plain gorgeous, so everybody should try it. :D It's a bit like Antony with rose added on my skin, and my love for it is immense. :P

Elsewise, some rose-y blends that are rather rosewood than rose itself come to mind: Fenris Wolf, Seance might also be worth checking out.

Is there a good Yellow rose scent?

I cannot say if it's good, but Schlafende Baigneuse in the Salon Category has yellow rose listed.

Is there a good Yellow rose scent?

London smells like yellow roses to me.

Moon Rose was nice and clean. A bit too soapy for me, but I passed it on to a friend who loves it.

Haven't gotten around to trying a new 2, 5, and 7 yet.

I also really liked Persephone when I first put it on...I thought my rose quest was over, but a minute on my skin and it turned to salami. Which other rose blends have a similar rose scent?

I haven't tried Persephone yet (but it's on its way to me) but have you tried Rose Moon? It's a soft yet fresh yet warm summery rose scent. Very lovely.

Moon Rose was nice and clean. A bit too soapy for me, but I passed it on to a friend who loves it.

I also really liked Persephone when I first put it on...I thought my rose quest was over, but a minute on my skin and it turned to salami. Which other rose blends have a similar rose scent?

Eep, Rose Red does but you might have to kill someone to get it.

oh, I was actually able to get some rose red without having to do permanent damage to anyone. :P:D but it goes balsamic vinegar on me! I was so crushed...I had really high hopes for it, especially cuz it smelled pretty good at first.

I missed out on the Rose Moon, but I might try to get a bit of that and see. :D Thanks!

Eep, Rose Red does but you might have to kill someone to get it.

oh, I was actually able to get some rose red without having to do permanent damage to anyone. :P:D but it goes balsamic vinegar on me! I was so crushed...I had really high hopes for it, especially cuz it smelled pretty good at first.

I missed out on the Rose Moon, but I might try to get a bit of that and see. :D Thanks!

I adore Rose Red as well, but I can't wear it on my skin cause it turns to soap. To make the most of it, I'll put some in an oil ring and put it on the lamp in my living room. To wear it on myself, I put it in a scent locket or I have it mixed with some cyclomethicone and spray it on my hair.

I have it mixed with some cyclomethicone and spray it on my hair.

That is a fabulous idea! I've only heard of using the cyclo for a body spray. How are you liking the cyclo on your hair? Do you just add the BPAL to straight cyclodimethicone or do you dilute it with other ingredients?

I know this is a long shot, but I figure it's worth a try. I have a friend who loves this soap from Hugo apothecary called Wild African Rose. She showed it to me last night and I sniffed, but it just smells like rose to me -- I hate rose as a note, so a rose is just a rose, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, they don't list their ingredients or give a hint of what essential oils they use to create the scent, either on label or on their web site.

Has anyone ever used this soap, or know of it? Anyone have any idea if there might be a BPAL scent that would match this somewhat? My friend is really excited about possibly being enabled into BPAL, and she often comments on how great I smell, but the one imp I gave her, Rose Cross, didn't work for her. Searches haven't turned up any African rose (I didn't even know such a thing existed!), and of course, there are a gajillion scents with rose notes to choose from.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ivyandpeony
added subtitle to clarify

A quick search turned up this:

Wild African Rose Bar Soap

Coconut oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Jojoba Ester, Shea Butter, Purified Water, Sorbitol (from berries),Sorbitan Oleate (from vegetable oil), Soybean Protein, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Rose Essential Oil, Natural Color (B-Carotene). (May Contain Whole Flower Petals and Herbs.)

In other words it looks like they just use plain ole rose essential oil. I'd go for the purest rose scent you can. Zombie (all rose on me, but I tend to amp it), Whip, Persephone, Harlot, or Two, Five & Seven, perhaps?

Beth doesn't always state the origins of her rose oils, but sometimes she does. There are blends out there using Moroccan Rose which you should be able to find if you do a search on Moroccan in the search engine (this also brings up Moroccan Jasmine, but it's a shorter list than all the rose blends!).

Wild roses smell different than roses, though I'm not sure if the 'wild' part is just part of the name or a reflection of the ingredients. I believe the wild roses in the catalogue are Croquet, Yeveran, and Vinland, though none of them feature wild rose prominently.

As for conventional roses, Persephone is by far and away my favourite. Libra is very nice as well, if a little less rose-centric.

Am I evil if I add Peacock Queen and Rose Red? :P

Only because you beat me to it! They are the purest rose I've smelled in BPAL's catalog, though Two, Five & Seven is close and just slightly greener. Whip and Wanda are also great rose scents for lovers of strong rose notes.

Although I love the smell of roses, I can't wear rose well...it amps on my skin and totally drowns out any other notes.

Spellbound was SUPER rosy on me. I'm giving that imp to a coworker who likes florals much more than I, perhaps she can pull it off better than I did.

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the search notes, too -- I must be the worst searcher ever, since I couldn't find the ingredients list myself. :P But I think I always knew that about myself.

I will definitely try to share these with her when I get hold of them. Strangely, I had a decant of Peacock Queen, but I got rid of it as fast as I could. It didn't occur to me that my "rose is a rose" problem might mean that, yeah, the rose note in her soap would be the same old rose note in the oils.

I actually have Harlot and Whip on hand right now, so I might bring those for her to test.

My favorite rose blend so far is Whip. It just smells like big red roses on me.

Two five and Seven was ok on me, it was a little sharper than I normally like.

I can't remember any other rose blends being great.

Am I evil if I add Peacock Queen and Rose Red? :P

Since these two returned with the Yule LEs this year, you are absolved of your evilness. You'll have to think of something else naughty to do if you want to maintain some kind of evil enabler standards. :D

I think that a lot of people who haven't found quote the "right" rose for them and who had not been able to try Rose Red or the Peacock Queen will be really pleased with one if not both.

I couldn't tell you what is in each one of them - I can wear Rose Red and it smells gorgeous, like I am sticking my face in a big bouquet of fresh cut roses. But The Peacock Queen gets that dreaded powdery old rose quality on me - which also happens with Black Rose, Blood Rose, Desire, London, Lucy’s Kiss, and Moon Rose.

Just to show you how serious I am about this... I even have a Word Document where I did a search for all the BPAL rose blends, sorted out the ones I could and couldn't wear, listed the types of rose the Lab uses and tried to figure out if there was a common type that was killing certain blends for me. But I can't really tell from the descriptions alone, and there are some types that appear in blends that I can wear and blends that I can't wear (for example, Moroccan rose which is in favorites Three Brides, Harlot & Lucy Westenra, but also in Delight and Rapture, which I can't wear at all).

So... Rose Red and Peacock Queen are back, and I want to get myself a rose scent. Because I like roses. Buttt London seemed a very astringent rose to me (if that makes any sense). Too sharp, almost acidic. o_O

I loved the rose in All Saints and Midnight Mass (I could swear there's rose in Midnight Mass). But London doesn't like me as much as I try to reconcile myself to it.

Is the Mirror Mirror pack for me? How is Rose Red compared to London?