Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

Hi,

I am looking for a long lasting (at least 8 hour) fresh rose scented fragrance as the main note and some other things fluttering in the background. I didn't like the 2-5-7 fragrance and have found that many rose scents are either too green, too powdery or not rosy enough.

I would like a fresh rose or floral scent that smells beautiful and can be smelled all day. In today's market, I know that is a lot to ask but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :P

Other than the LE Rose Red (which is hard to get a hold of right now, though keep your eyes open for its possible return in a few months) I would recommend you try London or Rose Cross.

I second Macha's recommendation for London (a gorgeous never cloying true rose scent with no earth or greenery intervening almost licorice but always the most exquisite rose), and add a vote for Seance, too. Seance has a non rose element but it is a fabulous "booster" to the rose, and has that "wonderful scent within a scent" which Beth does so well. Quite special and worth pursuing.

I love both Eve and Delerium, but they also have apple blossom in them. There's a rose thread around here somewhere...

Oro

I love Persephone, such a juicy sweet rose.

I just fell in love with Rakshasa, but that's a drier scent, because it has sandalwood and patchouli, but the base smells the same as the rose in Persephone.

ETA: I found the Rose recommendation link.

Edited by HoneyHoneyNY

Tarot: The Empress is all rose on me. And Rose Red is too... it's like a flower store that accidently got three truckloads of roses in when they ordered only one, and they have no room for them all so there's roses everywhere from floor to ceiling and even flowing out the door.

I really like Blood Rose. But it's rose + juicy freshness.

Two Five and Seven is similar, but more rosey than Blood Rose.

Persephone is good too, but has more of a juicy note as well.

Zombi is a beautiful rose scent, but has a "dirt" note, which some people don't really like too much.

Of course the ultimate is Rose Red, but that's tricky to get a hold of right now.

I have Rose Red, and while I think it's beautiful, I do find the top notes quite 'green'. You might want to sample before shelling out for that one! I didn't like 2-5-7 either - kind of stringy/nondescript to my nose.

Otherwise, I agree with the recs of London (a pretty, fresh tea rose with surprising longevity) and Blood Rose (pure, deep, resinous red rose, just a little bit fruity/wine-y). I found Rose Cross very sweet, but neither green nor powdery, so that may be one to try if you don't mind sweet scents and a little bit of incense. And finally, Baghdad is gorgeous, full-bodied rose and saffron - also not green and not powdery, a ripe and warm but slightly 'perfume-y' red rose; it lasts forever on me. All of these except Rose Red are catalog scents, so you could order samples.

Wait! I have one...I have fallen in love with Moon Rose. Have you tried it? I had a problem with most roses going very powdery on me. Moon rose smells like fresh roses to me, but not powdery at all. I find that I only have to touch up after 7-8 hours or so.

Since no one else has mentioned it yet...

Tarot: Strength is a very fresh rose to my nose. It's not super long lasting on me, but my skin eats 85% of the fragrances I've tried. I'm quite fond of that one.

OTOH, someone mentioned Rose Cross -- I *love* that blend. Not so fresh a scent to me, being rich & sweet and resinous, but DEFINITELY long lasting. And wonderfully calming/centering. I use it as a meditation blend.

For your purposes: London. Hands down.

I love rose, so I love Zombi -- but that's green and mossy. Othello -- but it has some musk.

I do not like the Empress... too watery.

Persephone and Blood Rose are very round and fruity. Lovely, but not "pure" rose.

You want London. Trust me on this. :P

Oh -- haven't seen any rec's for Lucy's Kiss, but that one's just wimpy.

I'd be astonished if I ever found any scent that lasted all day on me. I've had various BPAL scents last anywhere from about 10-15 minutes to 2-3 hours. Rarely longer. Most are faded down to the point where I have to press my nose to my arm to smell them by the end of the first hour. But I suppose everyone's skin chemistry is different.

For rose scents, though, I'd second the recommendation of Rose Cross. On me, at least, it smells very, very rosey -- very little of the frankincense scent there. I'm wearing it right now, for the first time. And it's still fairly strong after -- well, 45 minutes I think it's been. Which is longer than a lot of scents last on me...

Whip is a really fresh smelling rose scent, and it lasts forever.

The put one tiny drop on my arm to test it out and it completley overpowered overything....and it definilty lasts!

Rose Red was nothing but green on me; I hated it. And I'm a mad rose-aholic, so that was a shock! :D Blood Rose is my favorite regular catalog rose scent. But the Holy Grail of all rose scents to me is (surprise!) Havisham. Oh, the love. It's a *fresh* rose scent, just gorgeous. :P I'm hoarding every drop I have, but I'll bet there are still decants out there.

For long-lasting rose I have had the best luck with Delirium. It's got lemon in there, as well as rose, but it lasts a long time, and it is very rosy.

Out of all the rose scents I've tried from BPAL, I think London, hands down, is perfect for you. That's the truest rose I've smelled, and one that stays on my skin.

I've yet to try out Black Rose, actually. Persephone is candied rose, Kurukulla came out as some sort of potpourri scent later both times I used it (and Persephone did a better job), and Eve came out as honey and ylang ylang on me.

Two, Five, and Seven was real disappointing, since it came out as flowered beer on my skin.

delirium wasn't rose on me at all...i don't think i was aware of any rose notes for that matter.

I'm with Firewaver on the unrecommendation for Delirium. Lovely scent, but if you're going for true rose, it's not for you.

Love in the Asylum is gorgeous! Almost pure tea rose on me, but the good tea rose, not the bad tea rose. Chuparosa has some rose in it, but there are other things in it as well.

Oro