Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

I've been out of the loop for awhile now.

If I like Eve, which is rose, apple blossom, honey, and something else I don't remember off the top of my head, is there something I should be keeping an eye out for?

I've been out of the loop for awhile now.

If I like Eve, which is rose, apple blossom, honey, and something else I don't remember off the top of my head, is there something I should be keeping an eye out for?

Well, there's no apple blossom in it, but try the current Luper, One Perfect Day--it's a really pretty rose with honey and some other stuff.

There's no honey, but I'm getting my rose/apple fix from The Fox Sisters. I haven't smelled Eve in quite a long time but at least on my skin, the Fox Sisters is both apple and rose dominant. The bourbon vanilla gives it a little sweetness. It's my favorite 2017 Yule aside from Blackcurrant Sufganiyot.

The 2017 yule Not Such an Agreeable Seat is a great rose. It's described as golden and that's a very accurate description as ir's warm and sweet without turning foodie. It didn't turn powdery or soapy on me. The rose was very "rosy" a la geraniums or rosewood.

On a side note i'm looking for a rose recommendation. Is there a red roses-red wine dominant scent out there? I don't know why but i had a thought that it might match perfectly with a chocolate-coffee dominant scent. Kind of in a valentine's day way but also not

The 2017 yule Not Such an Agreeable Seat is a great rose. It's described as golden and that's a very accurate description as ir's warm and sweet without turning foodie. It didn't turn powdery or soapy on me. The rose was very "rosy" a la geraniums or rosewood.

On a side note i'm looking for a rose recommendation. Is there a red roses-red wine dominant scent out there? I don't know why but i had a thought that it might match perfectly with a chocolate-coffee dominant scent. Kind of in a valentine's day way but also not

Wanda (but this has violets) http://www.bpal.org/topic/2637-wanda/

Obsidian Widow (has jasmine and patchouli) http://www.bpal.org/topic/44508-the-obsidian-widow/

Lilith doesn't have other floral notes, just rose and red wine but I don't get much rose and black musk isn't for everyone

http://www.bpal.org/topic/133-lilith/page-1

Kali is roses and red wine with chocolate but it's complex, with spices. I'd say it's a roses, wine, and chocolate Valentine's scent though

http://www.bpal.org/topic/2457-kali/

And all those are at least impable

For past Lupers with wine and roses, Chinoiserie was popular http://www.bpal.org/topic/88498-chinoiserie/

Edited by sprout

I love Lilith. She ages well too! My bottle is probably 10 years old and totally lovely.

Cairo has red wine, and does not officially have rose, but a lot of us thought we smelled rose in it.

Omg i totally forgot about lilith. I just broke out an imp of it and it's exactly what i was looking for. Wine infused roses. I want to bathe in it

If you like chocolate and roses, I loved Quatre from the Une Douzaine de Roses Lupers this year. It's a wonderful cocao/rose blend. (If you ever tried The Orchard ; Quatre has the same elements without the woods. It's a very "Valentine's" scent to me.

I think the strongest rose/wine blend in my experience has been Blood Rose. The wine is pretty bold and not too boozy. The Dragon's Blood creates a great resin that might go well with the coffee scent.

Otherwise, if you want more airy quality with more throw, you might want to try The Forest Reverie. The lilies and opium smoke in there give it a very "drugged up rose" sort of quality. The grape scent teases a wine note, but it doesn't seem to have any booze at all.

And there is Obsidian Widow. The wine boozy note is pretty strong right away, but it melts into a great rose wine.

Blood Rose: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

The Forest Reverie: wild roses, grape vine, and queenly lilies, clothed in swirls of opium smoke.

The Obsidian Widow: Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

Oh, and it's white wine, but if you can get your hands on Symmakhia, it's gorgeous (Vanilla, heliotrope, red sandalwood, pear, black lily, white wine grape, and white rose.) and is really Valentine's to me--the vanilla has kind of a white chocolate vibe in this one to me. So it smells like roses, wine, and white chocolate--voila, romantic evening! :wub3:

hellllooooo!!! has anyone here tried the post luper DIX and the yule ROSE OUDH AND MYRHH that can please compare the two?

thank you!

I have not tried Rose Oudh and Myrhh but i've got dix here and i'll let you know my impressions. In the bottle it's very rosy but with a distinct metallic sweetness. On me it blends very well right off the bat. The rose is still present without screaming "rose" at me. It goes slightly powdery without becoming baby powder or soap. This is actually my first skin test of this and it's very lovely. As it dries the rose fades out even more. Hope that helps.

If you like chocolate and roses, I loved Quatre from the Une Douzaine de Roses Lupers this year. It's a wonderful cocao/rose blend. (If you ever tried The Orchard ; Quatre has the same elements without the woods. It's a very "Valentine's" scent to me.

Unfortunately i only splurged on roses 7-12 from this year's lupers, thinking the first six were too "foodie" for me. And of course now i def want to try quatre! I have tested the orchard and i will say i think the woods are def a bit strong for me, which i never expected going into it. And ooh, thanks for all the GC recs, i always forget about GCs cause i'm so dazzled by the LEs, i gotta get in on that GC/LE similarity thread.

Also gotta second the Symmakhia love! She is def one of my all-time faves (can I just say now that the ode to Aphrodite should be it's own yearly thing? *swoon*) i love especially that it's so beautifully blended, i'm beginning to think i amp rose

Unfortunately i only splurged on roses 7-12 from this year's lupers, thinking the first six were too "foodie" for me. And of course now i def want to try quatre! I have tested the orchard and i will say i think the woods are def a bit strong for me, which i never expected going into it. And ooh, thanks for all the GC recs, i always forget about GCs cause i'm so dazzled by the LEs, i gotta get in on that GC/LE similarity thread.

Also gotta second the Symmakhia love! She is def one of my all-time faves (can I just say now that the ode to Aphrodite should be it's own yearly thing? *swoon*) i love especially that it's so beautifully blended, i'm beginning to think i amp rose

I love "The Orchard", the woods give it a depth on my skin that keeps it from going too foodie.

I've noticed that there are a lot of scents in the GC that have great rose blends. It seems that we (the fans) are forgetting to recommend them along side the LE's. I'll all for bringing back the GC love!

Les fleurs des mal! I saw this on the lilac page, this one also has rose and wisteria. Now i have to try it cause i want to know which one dominates.

~Harper and White Rose are very sweet and innocent roses on my skin. The other notes in White Rose don't pop out here for me until extreme dry down; and even then it is a whisper of frankinscense blending seemlessly with the spice of the rose~

I have rose problems. I despise tea roses in perfume. It just reads awful in me.

I love the smell of most garden variety roses fresh on the bush. Wild roses and big beautiful pink and yellow and peach roses make me happiest.

Do those exist in bpal? If so, how can I discern it (besides avoiding the note tea roses forever.)

12 hours ago, Deceitfuldescender said:

I have rose problems. I despise tea roses in perfume. It just reads awful in me.

I love the smell of most garden variety roses fresh on the bush. Wild roses and big beautiful pink and yellow and peach roses make me happiest.

Do those exist in bpal? If so, how can I discern it (besides avoiding the note tea roses forever.)

Do you find the tea rose note too bitter or sharp or is there something else about it that you dislike? What have you tried? I find BPAL roses are very dependent on skin chemistry, so you're probably going to have to do a lot of testing! :)

I often suggest London as a nice realistic rose but since it is tea rose that's probably not going to work for you. The Rose is quite fresh & true to life but since you like pink, yellow & peach roses IRL, I would look for those in the notes rather than red rose. Also you might like the roses that have a fruity aspect since I find many modern roses do have a bit of citrus or berry in their scents. Also blends that are reviewed as being sweet might counteract any bitterness or sourness coming from the rose. 

Hedylogos, Snooty Rose, The Fool's Rose, Sept, Onze, The Best Lies, Hope would all be worth trying.  I'm sure people will chime in with others!

16 minutes ago, alterosen said:

I'm sure people will chime in with others!

I agree with your list and would add Rapture, which is basically rose and mandarin on me. I find that the citrus note helps the rose to smell fresh on me, more like I'm smelling a living flower. 

1 hour ago, alterosen said:

Do you find the tea rose note too bitter or sharp or is there something else about it that you dislike? What have you tried? 

Most recently I tried the tea roses and lace and it reminded me tea roses are not my dish. They smell somewhere between old ladyish and sort of sick sweet and not like fresh roses (at least on me) almost stinky rose.

I reaaaally like run of the mill roses. And wild roses. I love those but they seem rare in perfume.

I'm hoping to find something similar to The Queen's Croquet Ground, but as a perfume oil. I love that sweet, red rose smell, and I love the true green grass that goes with it. I have Rose Red, and that's close, but not quite the same. The Queen's Croquet Ground has more of a 'fresh mown lawn in summer' smell to me, whereas Rose Red's greenery smells more like 'rose leaves and stems just pulled from the cooler at a florist's shop.' I live for that fresh mown lawn smell, it goes so well with roses! 

Any advice? 

8 hours ago, Betula said:

I'm hoping to find something similar to The Queen's Croquet Ground, but as a perfume oil. I love that sweet, red rose smell, and I love the true green grass that goes with it. I have Rose Red, and that's close, but not quite the same. The Queen's Croquet Ground has more of a 'fresh mown lawn in summer' smell to me, whereas Rose Red's greenery smells more like 'rose leaves and stems just pulled from the cooler at a florist's shop.' I live for that fresh mown lawn smell, it goes so well with roses! 

Any advice? 

Have you tried The Rose (GC)? It's red rose with the leaves and sap, but I find it doesn't have that chill of Rose Red that you described. Could be what you're looking for!

Are there any blends with the same white rose as Asses Plus Long from the 2021 Lupers? I LOVE how dewy it is, and how it smells like how velvety soft a lush rose petal would feel...