Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. I absolutely love Rose Red and Mrs. Grose. They are my favorite rose scents, followed closely by Black Rose. I have only been into BPAL for a couple of months and always liked the smell of rose... but once I smelled Black Rose I was like head-over-heels in love. It was so beautiful and sexy. So when the yules came out I went a little rose-crazy, ordering Red Rose, Peacock Queen, Mrs. Grose, Miss Jessel, and Pink Snowballs.

I didn't much care for Pink Snowballs, I thought it smelled too young, so I gave it to my 7 year old daughter. :D

Miss Jessel is nice, kind of a sweet, fruity, natural (tree-ish?) rose. Me likes. :smile:

Peacock Queen is a gorgeous, deep, beautiful rose. :lovestruck:

Mrs. Grose is this completely amazing spicy rose. Rose, cinnamon, and a little tea. LOVE. :love!:

Red Rose is a true rose with stem scent. It is fresh and cold and perfect and amazing. My absolute favorite. :wub3:

I still haven't tried Spellbound, which from reading this thread sounds like a must! I would also love to try The Rose. I have a bottle of Harlot that I bought unsniffed, and while I do like it, I thought it would be more spicy. I would love more recent rose recommendations for my next order, which will include Black Rose as my imp's almost gone!

I guess I should say I'm looking for GC rose recommendations, since it's pretty much a given that I'll try every rose LE that comes out!

Edited by Foodie

Oh! And I was also wondering if there is any great rose scents that I should keep my eye out for with the Lupercalia update? :wub2:

Hmmm... I went back and read this whole thread and honestly it has made it harder to choose! I am ordering Black Rose for sure, like I said- I have an imp and I know I love that one. But I'm really undecided about the 2nd bottle. (Made a new rule for myself... no more than 2 bottles a month... and that's if I can afford that!) I'm trying to decide between -

Spellbound

Zombie

Seance

Rakshasa

I mentioned in my previous post what scents I already have, (Rose Red, Mrs. Grose, Peacock Queen, Pink Snowballs, Miss Jessel, Tears of Lilith, Black Rose, Harlot). I don't want to order something very similar to something I've already got. Does anyone want to give me their opinion on which scent would be best?

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Foodie, I'm new to being a rose lover, so I can't give you a ton of suggestions. But, you might like Phantom. It's myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose and ylang ylang. Parlement of Foules is a Lupercalia blend released three times that contains white rose and soft resins. I'm still too new to BPAL to have tried it, but it's on my must purchase list when it comes back. Also, Elizabeth of Bohemia was released in last year's Luper update and is described as rose oude. There might be a few bottles of it floating around in forum sales.

Can I ask what you meant when you described Miss Jessel as "tree-ish"? Does that mean it has a leaf/stem note like Rose Red? I'm still debating buying a bottle in my next order.

Edited by Pittseminole

Seance. Quick run to your interwebs and get some Seance. I find it similar to the Peacock Queen but slightly more rich.

My rose lovin' friend adores Phantom. Also London. I don't get a whole lot from London myself.

My favorite hands down ultimate roses are in the Dawns, Mother and Priestess to be exact. I am in the minority as I don't love Maiden. Mourning Victory is more green than flowery, but very very good.

Edited by stellamaris

Foodie, I'm new to being a rose lover, so I can't give you a ton of suggestions. But, you might like Phantom. It's myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose and ylang ylang. Parlement of Foules is a Lupercalia blend released three times that contains white rose and soft resins. I'm still too new to BPAL to have tried it, but it's on my must purchase list when it comes back. Also, Elizabeth of Bohemia was released in last year's Luper update and is described as rose oude. There might be a few bottles of it floating around in forum sales.

Can I ask what you meant when you described Miss Jessel as "tree-ish"? Does that mean it has a leaf/stem note like Rose Red? I'm still debating buying a bottle in my next order.

Pittseminole, Miss Jessel does not seem (to me) to have a leaf/stem note. It's more like tree sap. It smells very... sorry it's very hard to describe... like a forest without the pine. The most simple, descriptive thing I could say about Miss Jessel is tree sap mixed with roses. It's more complex than that but I just don't know how to put it in words! :)

Seance. Quick run to your interwebs and get some Seance. I find it similar to the Peacock Queen but slightly more rich.

My rose lovin' friend adores Phantom. Also London. I don't get a whole lot from London myself.

My favorite hands down ultimate roses are in the Dawns, Mother and Priestess to be exact. I am in the minority as I don't love Maiden. Mourning Victory is more green than flowery, but very very good.

Hmmm, sounds like Phantom is another one I'll have to consider! And I am leaning toward Seance as the one to buy next. I was so excited to try the Dawns, then I got a frimp of Mother from a forumite and I absolutely hated it. There was something in there I really didn't like, and I'm not experienced enough to know what it was but it was bad. Now I'm not so gung ho about trying the other 2.

I am not overly rose scents but thinks Beth and the crew can do wonders with perfume. Looking to expand my collection scent wise...

I have a lot of sandalwood, myrrh notes already and don't have any rose.

So I am on a hunt for the perfect rose blend for me.

I was looking at Peacock Queen but I am not sure...

My favorite scent note is moss.

Favorite perfume at the moment is Ghost House followed closely by Jazz Funeral.

Two of my favorites are Lucy's Kiss and Wicked (it pulls a strong rose on me). I adore Eve but there are a lot of other notes in it in addition to rose that make it special. If you can't abide honey, you might not like it. The apple blossom adds a truly beautiful element. The Temptation is a really fruity rose but it is really nice.

Maiden and Ophelia are really nice, too.

I haven't gotten to it but Spellbound has rose. Rose Red, London and even Venice perhaps?

You might try Thanatos since you like sandalwood and myrrh. It's "dry white sandalwood and soft Siamese benzoin over a lugubrious blend of myrrh, Moroccan rose, mastic, tomb moss and a thin whiff of Greek incense." Another rose with myrrh is Phantom: Myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose, and ylang ylang.

If you're willing to try fruity roses, I would recommend La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente. On my skin it's roses, pomegranates, and peaches.

I think that you might like Miss Jessell from this years Yules: Black roses with myrrh, benzoin, and guiac wood. It's a darker rose scent on me and the myrrh & guiac wood add a lovely warm element to the blend

You could try: Roses, Pearls & Diamonds from Marchen: Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Rose Cross: purest rose with sacred frankincense

Some of my favorite rose scents are - Peacock Queen (a very true, pure rose scent on me), Alice (cake, milk & rose), Persephone (pommegranate & rose), Glasgow (rosy heather & blackberries), London (tea rose). There are so many rose blends in the Black Phoenix GC alone that I am sure you will find the perfect one for you :)

Edited by becca_s

Miss Jessel is excellent.

I do think if you like those earth, dried things types you might love Spellbound.

Seance is the most amazing rose, IMO.

Perhaps Dawn: Mother? "Red roses, saffron, honey, and frankincense." On me smells like a lightly sweetened, golden rose with a bit of frankincense to ground it in the background.

Dawn: Mother is fantastic.

Peacock Queen is good if you already love rose, but I think Dawn: Mother is more complex and less all rose, all the time.

Since you like moss and Jazz Funeral, have you tried Zombi? It's in Ars Moriendi: "Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth."

I haven't tried Zombi yet but its been on my wishlist. Thank you for the recommendation!

Two of my favorites are Lucy's Kiss and Wicked (it pulls a strong rose on me). I adore Eve but there are a lot of other notes in it in addition to rose that make it special. If you can't abide honey, you might not like it. The apple blossom adds a truly beautiful element. The Temptation is a really fruity rose but it is really nice.

Maiden and Ophelia are really nice, too.

I haven't gotten to it but Spellbound has rose. Rose Red, London and even Venice perhaps?

All good choices! Thank you!

You might try Thanatos since you like sandalwood and myrrh. It's "dry white sandalwood and soft Siamese benzoin over a lugubrious blend of myrrh, Moroccan rose, mastic, tomb moss and a thin whiff of Greek incense." Another rose with myrrh is Phantom: Myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose, and ylang ylang.

If you're willing to try fruity roses, I would recommend La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente. On my skin it's roses, pomegranates, and peaches.

Peaches and pomegranates, I may have to add this on my wishlist. Fruity is good.

I think that you might like Miss Jessell from this years Yules: Black roses with myrrh, benzoin, and guiac wood. It's a darker rose scent on me and the myrrh & guiac wood add a lovely warm element to the blend

You could try: Roses, Pearls & Diamonds from Marchen: Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Rose Cross: purest rose with sacred frankincense

Some of my favorite rose scents are - Peacock Queen (a very true, pure rose scent on me), Alice (cake, milk & rose), Persephone (pommegranate & rose), Glasgow (rosy heather & blackberries), London (tea rose). There are so many rose blends in the Black Phoenix GC alone that I am sure you will find the perfect one for you :)

Is Miss Jesell boozy at all?

Miss Jessel is excellent.

I do think if you like those earth, dried things types you might love Spellbound.

Seance is the most amazing rose, IMO.

Spellbound another one added to my wishlist!

I did end up winning a bottle of the Churchyard on ebay and did not realize that it had a rose note in it. I fell in love with it....

DJ Sin, Miss Jessel is not boozy at all. I think it smells exactly like roses and fresh tree sap. :)

I am looking for scents that smell like rose hip instead of roses. I can't stand the smell of roses in perfume. They make me nauseous and give me headaches. My mother used to have roses that smelled like rose hip in full blossom so I would like to find a scent with that. It doesn't have to be BPAL but I do prefer oils instead of alcohol based perfumes. Anyone got an idea?

I am looking for scents that smell like rose hip instead of roses. I can't stand the smell of roses in perfume. They make me nauseous and give me headaches. My mother used to have roses that smelled like rose hip in full blossom so I would like to find a scent with that. It doesn't have to be BPAL but I do prefer oils instead of alcohol based perfumes. Anyone got an idea?

Mrs. Grose.

I haven't tried many rose blends yet, but I'd like to. The only one I really loved so far was the crushed petal note in Wanda. Are there others with a similar feel? Other ones I've tried, like Persephone and Rose Red, were just terrible on me. I like the smell of rose water too, and the actual smell of fresh roses. Just something about the blends I've tried have been too sharp.

You might want to try Claricognizance and Spirit Board from the Yules this year, the roses are not sharp but very lush.