Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

MAD for Dawn: Priestess - it is the sex.

backthatelfup, have *you* actually tried Rose Red or The Peacock Queen yet? They're coming down for the year in a couple of weeks, and I think you should try them if you've decided you love rose! :)

MAD for Dawn: Priestess - it is the sex.

backthatelfup, have *you* actually tried Rose Red or The Peacock Queen yet? They're coming down for the year in a couple of weeks, and I think you should try them if you've decided you love rose! :)

I have not tried any of the Dawns beyond Cernunnos which is one of my absolute faves. In my experience I can't do jasmine because I amp it and smells like poop (true story) to me. I was eyeing Dawn: Mother just last night though...

I should check out Rose Red and/or The Peacock Queen. I do love rose. So pretty. I can't wait till summer so that my rose bushes will bloom and I can inhale them!

Also, besides The Dawns, has anyone mentioned Seance? I found this to be a gorgeous rich tea rose, and would love to get a bottle if The Lab would stop trying to kill me with all the updating things that clearly I must buy.

I just ordered Elizabeth of Bohemia, from the Lupers, which promises to be The Perfect Rose Oude.

I need some help looking for a sweet and full rose blend, something along the lines of Jo Malone's Rose Red (which is meant to be 7 kinds of roses with a bit of lemon and honeycomb). Through the search tool I think Jezebel might fit the bill (though I note a lot of review says it's heavy on the orange side?), Eve, Persephone and Katrina van Tassel (but this is LE, drat!). But you are all far more savvy than I, so please help steer me in the right direction :D!

Edited by aentee

Two, Five & Seven is definitely worth a try. It's a blend of many kinds of roses, with a bit of grass, and I find that at first whiff it smells sweet like rose candy. Then it becomes a full bouquet of fresh roses, that smells to me like walking through a wet garden full of all rose types, rather than sniffing a bouquet of cut roses.

I love Jezebel, but I don't get a lot of rose out of it. I find it very well balanced with the honey and sandalwood notes.

I need some rose help! I've been searching for a good rose scent for a little while now, but it seems like every rose blend I try ends up smelling like pink sugary Turkish Delight. London, Zombi, Blood Rose--they all turned into the same sugary pink roses.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Turkish Delight and pink roses are pretty, but I'm really searching for a deep, dark red rose scent--I have memories of smelling dark red roses in a garden and I'm trying to recapture that scent and carry it around with me. I just never seem to get that out of any blend.

It might just be my skin doing this to me, or it might just be that this is how rose scents end up when they're extracted. I don't really know. I have a few other rose blends in imps to try, and I will yet try them.

But any recommendations or observations of similar situations would be really, really welcome.

I need some rose help! I've been searching for a good rose scent for a little while now, but it seems like every rose blend I try ends up smelling like pink sugary Turkish Delight. London, Zombi, Blood Rose--they all turned into the same sugary pink roses.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Turkish Delight and pink roses are pretty, but I'm really searching for a deep, dark red rose scent--I have memories of smelling dark red roses in a garden and I'm trying to recapture that scent and carry it around with me. I just never seem to get that out of any blend.

It might just be my skin doing this to me, or it might just be that this is how rose scents end up when they're extracted. I don't really know. I have a few other rose blends in imps to try, and I will yet try them.

But any recommendations or observations of similar situations would be really, really welcome.

Rose Red!! That one smells to me like a fresh from the florist longstem red rose...beautiful!

Give Peacock Queen a try! It's a very deep red rose to my nose :)

Have a look on the Sales & Swap pages for Dawn: Mother, Elizabeth of Bohemia, All Saints, Rose Red & maybe Red Rose. They're all LE or un-impable.

From the GC, Snooty Rose might not be so sweet since it has woods in it. I find Peacock Queen to be similar to London on my skin though a bit richer but it might be different on you.

Edited by alterosen

My favorite rose blend hands down is Lilith. You have to be able to wear black musk and wine too, which is why I think it isn't so popular, but on me it is downright dark and sensuous. My boyfriend says it's his favorite smell on me. :wub2:

Any recommendations for a dried rose scent? I love the rose in The Fainting Couch atmosphere spray and would like to find a similar rose in perfume. I love musks and resins and don't like white florals very much, but I am open to other flowers blended with rose.

Any recommendations for a dried rose scent? I love the rose in The Fainting Couch atmosphere spray and would like to find a similar rose in perfume. I love musks and resins and don't like white florals very much, but I am open to other flowers blended with rose.

The rose in Desire smells kind of dried to me: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

*edit* I just remembered which other blend I wanted to recommend. :lol:

Phantom: Myrrh, dark musk, attar of rose and ylang ylang.

Edited by Monday

The rose in Desire smells kind of dried to me: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

Thank you! Those both sound interesting. Phantom sounds like it would be made of win for me. :)

Thank you! Those both sound interesting. Phantom sounds like it would be made of win for me. :)

You're welcome! Phantom has flown under my radar for a year now (I probably thought it was discontinued?). I got an aged imp a while ago and it's gorgeous! Both of these blends are good agers, they become really smooth.

My rose loves are few and far between. Whip was my one and only rose for a long time, but recently I fell in love with Chuparosa. Actually it started with Lush's Rose Jam bubble bar, I was looking for something with that type of rose... one day I opened up Chuparosa and tested it - on my skin it is a very similar rose. Chuparosa has shot up to the top of my GC list (ESPECIALLY for this hot summer!!).

The Rose I'm looking for is a blend of coco chocolate, like dark chocolate not Hershey's, blood red Roses that have that beautiful dark bouquet and spicy aroma, a hint of spices, and honey. Maybe some amber leather and vanilla or neroli but those would be extra awesome. I really want the Rose and Chocolate with the accents to be the main note. I have been desperately searching for a blend like this. Anyone know of a bpal blend with these characteristics?

I looked at Kali and seraglio but they both have too much else going on between wine notes and other flowers or fruit.

The Rose I'm looking for is a blend of coco chocolate, like dark chocolate not Hershey's, blood red Roses that have that beautiful dark bouquet and spicy aroma, a hint of spices, and honey. Maybe some amber leather and vanilla or neroli but those would be extra awesome. I really want the Rose and Chocolate with the accents to be the main note. I have been desperately searching for a blend like this. Anyone know of a bpal blend with these characteristics?

I looked at Kali and seraglio but they both have too much else going on between wine notes and other flowers or fruit.

Love-Lies-Bleeding from Rappacini's Garden doesn't have a note list, but there is definitely a floral + chocolate aspect to it. Some reviewers described it as "Valentine's Day in a bottle" or something to that effect. I got more Ferrero Rocher than bittersweet chocolate myself, but it might be worth trying. At any rate, it's GC and impable, so if it doesn't work for you, you won't be out much.

I just wanted to give a shout-out to the Cherokee Rose Single Note Accord. It's my favorite of Beth's roses so far, because its freshness and zing! make it more wearable for me than, say, Peacock Queen. I love PQ, but ultimately I find it too rich to wear.

Now I'm off to test the imp of Desire that I think I have...

Zombi