Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

Um, yeah. Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds. I'm about to go review it. I have found my perfect rose blend.

I'm trying to decide between getting Spellbound or Black Rose. The descriptions for both list the same components: rose, amber, and musk. Anyone who's tried both, what exactly is the difference between these two?? Thanks!

My favorite "pure" rose is The Peacock Queen. I heard there is a bit of oakmoss in there, which stabilizes it on me and keeps it smelling rosey.

For GC, I like Moscow for a blend, and Black Rose for a more pure rose scent - again, the resins stabilize it.

The much-vaunted Two, Five, and Seven smelled like a combo of toothpaste and PEE (!) last time I tried it. :run: This was a while back, and my body chemistry has changed, I know, so maybe I will try it again.

I'm trying to decide between getting Spellbound or Black Rose. The descriptions for both list the same components: rose, amber, and musk. Anyone who's tried both, what exactly is the difference between these two?? Thanks!

I've tried them both, and Spellbound is my #1 BPAL of all time. It is drop dead sexy red-musky rose. I tried Black Rose when I first got into BPAL, and I didn't keep the imp, but I remember it was pretty, just not as deep and sensuous as Spellbound. I try to be a minimalist in my BPAL hobby, so off it went.

They seem to have a different kind of amber in them too. Like black rose is dark and almost candy like, where as spellbound is more red musky, and resinous

Edited by tativa

Black Rose is darker and more rosy; Spellbound is more, as said above, like red musk. I find Black Rose more sensuous, though...it throws well as your skin warms and stays itself, which I think is very sexy.

Black Rose is all-time favorite of mine, although I like them both!

Edited by LadyMedb

Thank you! All your descriptions of both Spellbound and Black Rose made me end up getting both. :yum: I'll let you know how they work out - I just got them yesterday.

a comment in a review got me thinking.

i amp rose to 11, as in, think bathroom cleaner. most rose blends don't work on me (though i can wear blends like bien loin d'ici). however, most of the time what gets me isn't so much that i amp rose so much as it is that they're way too feminine and girly. i'm not a light, pretty, floral type person- i sort of need to smell like death (i heart the gore shock) and burning not tea parties in the garden.

so are there blends that run towards at least the androgynous if not masculine?

Yep, Othello, although I don't really get a lot of actual rose from it I love it

Some rose blends that like which are not traditionally feminine are Pulcinella & Teresina, Zombi, Blasphemare Reliquary, Seance, Rakshasa and Ouija.

Maybe try rosewood blends? Fenris Wolf comes to mind. Also: The Magician, Dee.

Thanatos is somewhat masculine, but still has a sweet rose note, that might not work for you.

Black Rose and/or Blood Rose has a rather bitter, dark rose. Same goes for To A Woman.

The Blasphemare Reliquary has a subdued rose IMO, also L'Examen de Minuit.

Don't know if you tried whip but it's my favorite rose. The Leather really darkens it and helps keep the girlyness away. I think it's a pretty manly rose personally.

OT but I recognize your name from ontdcreepy :D I be KuroiAisu *waves*

Great topic! I was inspired to test a few 'masculine' rose scents. Unfortunately I can't find Zombi or Black Rose, even though I know I have imps of both somewhere.

Anyway my favorite is Thanatos. I second this recommendation whole-heartedly. It's a scent I should wear more often and I've thought about getting a whole bottle of it. I love the resins combined with the rose.

I also like Blood Rose. I'm testing 4 scents at the same time and Blood Rose seems to have the strongest throw. It has somewhat of a fruity wine note.

I tried Burial which does not have rose in the description, but has flowers and possibly rose. I used to love this scent but I'm finding it too sharp for me right now.

[i also tested Czech and Speake No. 88 just for comparison. It is not bpal and not a perfume oil so I won't say more about it, except that it is a woody, masculine rose scent that fades really fast compared to bpal. I wanted to compare it to Thanatos, and they have some similarities but are mostly different]

I have a similar problem with rose as you, starfish327, and I don't like it when it's in floral blends. But I think you might really like Lucy, Kissed. These are the notes:

Diabolical voluptuousness, a siren song from the grave: juniper and yew brushing against blackened violets and funeral roses, red musk and hot blood, veined white marble and icy, brittle musk, all pulsing with the sinister, hypnotic scent of patchouli, amber, oude, and cubeb.

And reviews are here. It was an LE from BPTP last year, so you may have to hunt around a bit to find some, but it's a stunner - the rose is that 'dead' type of dark sexy rose, and as you can see.. all the other notes are anything but floral or girly. It's rich and sumptuous, dark and sinister - I'd definitely recommend it for you :smile:

Don't know if you tried whip but it's my favorite rose. The Leather really darkens it and helps keep the girlyness away. I think it's a pretty manly rose personally.

OT but I recognize your name from ontdcreepy :D I be KuroiAisu *waves*

hi! i'm determined to make that whole comm smell good. i actually enabled like three people last night with the 'weenies...

on topic:

i think that lucy, kissed will go on my iso list, and i've been meaning to try zombi anyway. i have an imp of godfather death in my test bag already (i think).

I am looking for rose recommendations! I could never really wear rose before as it gave me a headache, but since I've gone off of my birth control medication, either it smells differently on my skin or I am not perceiving the scent the same way. In either case, I skin tested some rose-y imps and .... I liked them! I still think I prefer blends that do not have rose as the dominant note, but it's okay if it is a present note. Recent blends I've liked with rose include:

Othello

The Grindhouse

Joyful Moon

Champagne and Roses

I don't have much other rose stuff laying around because I didn't like it. Can anyone suggest other rose blends where the rose is an important note, but it isn't the dominant note? And I think I might like it better when it is not combined with other florals....

I love rose, and am planning on ordering a few blends with this note...

I've tried a few rose blends from BPAL so far, but it was mostly white rose, which seems to work well on me, but it's a little too creamy...

I want something more lush, but not candy-like (Two, Five & Seven smells like pure candy on me).

I hate patchouli, amber and dislike white musk, so these are the "no-no" notes... leather is a note I'm not very fond of, and I'm not a fan of nutts nor almonds, or violets...

This are the GC blends I've selected so far, but I would like to narrow down to 5 scents... could someone help?

Jezebel, Zombi, Blood Countess, Lilith, Santa Muerte, Thanatos, Euphrosyne, Snooty Rose, Roses,Pearls & Diamonds and Blood Rose.

I love, love, love dragon blood, I like vanilla, vetiver, pine, moss, gardenia, orange blossom and incense...

I'd like to have different rose blends, not stuff that all smells the same...

I've tried a few rose blends from BPAL so far, but it was mostly white rose, which seems to work well on me, but it's a little too creamy...

I want something more lush, but not candy-like (Two, Five & Seven smells like pure candy on me).

I hate patchouli, amber and dislike white musk, so these are the "no-no" notes... leather is a note I'm not very fond of, and I'm not a fan of nutts nor almonds, or violets...

This are the GC blends I've selected so far, but I would like to narrow down to 5 scents... could someone help?

Jezebel, Zombi, Blood Countess, Lilith, Santa Muerte, Thanatos, Euphrosyne, Snooty Rose, Roses,Pearls & Diamonds and Blood Rose.

I love, love, love dragon blood, I like vanilla, vetiver, pine, moss, gardenia, orange blossom and incense...

I've only tried Zombi, Snooty Rose, and Blood Rose out of the ones you listed. Zombi is rose with damp earth and oakmoss. Blood Rose is a sweet dragon's blood drenched rose, almost grapey from the red wine note. Snooty Rose is very interesting. It smells like sweet rose and apricot or plum to me with a bit of sandalwood. The drydown is actually everything but rose though. I wish the smell from the wet stage lasted longer.

Jezebel is mostly rose and orange blossom with a very sweet and heavy honey note.

Zombi is roses and dirt. This is one of my favourite rose scents.

Blood Countess's rose note isn't very prominent, this is stronger on the berries, plum, and gardenia. Since you like gardenia too this might be a good choice.

Euphrosyne was strongest on the jasmine and gardenia on me.

I didn't find Snooty Rose to be very rosey. The other notes were stronger.

Blood Rose has lots of dragon's blood and wine mixed in with the rose. If you're okay with wine, you might enjoy this one.

(I haven't tried the other rose scents you mentioned.)

I am looking for rose recommendations! I could never really wear rose before as it gave me a headache, but since I've gone off of my birth control medication, either it smells differently on my skin or I am not perceiving the scent the same way. In either case, I skin tested some rose-y imps and .... I liked them! I still think I prefer blends that do not have rose as the dominant note, but it's okay if it is a present note. Recent blends I've liked with rose include:

Othello

The Grindhouse

Joyful Moon

Champagne and Roses

I don't have much other rose stuff laying around because I didn't like it. Can anyone suggest other rose blends where the rose is an important note, but it isn't the dominant note? And I think I might like it better when it is not combined with other florals....

I'm much the same, I like blends with rose, but not as fond of rose-dominant blends. Let's see...

The Last Rose of Summer and Shadowless Like Silence are super underrated. I especially like Last Rose, it's earthy (patchouli) white rose and very evocative. Almost identical to Last Rose is Parlement of Foules. Abhisarika reminds me of Othello (both are rose-and-musk), albeit more complex and richer. Three Brides is a similar complex rose blend. Blood Rose is rose with dragon's blood and wine, a really nice mix if you like D-b. And you may want to try Seraphim, though it's very floral (and I didn't get any rose, just nasty lily and wisteria).

On the flip side, the rose-dominant blends (to my nose) are: Rose Cross, Cicuta, and Lucy's Kiss.

*waves*

Bringing this thread back. Recently discovered that I really, really love rose. My favorite rose blends thus far are Bess, Whoso List to Hunt and The Forest Reveries. All of these have rose but a little bit of something that makes them all just...*swoon*

I miss walking around Portland and just burying my face in roses. So wonderful...:D

My absolute favorite roses to date are Dawn Mother and Dawn Priestess, both sharp tea rosey blends for me. I have Rose Red and Peacock Queen, they are nice but not as true rose for me as The Rose. The most wonderful wearable roses though are the Dawns. OMG. Amazing.