Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

I add a vote for Parlement of Foules here - it's beautifully lush and sweet without being at all cloying (the scent equivalent of a bouquet of red and pink roses).

Parlement of Foules is one of my faves, too. It smells like roses & raspberries to me.

Katrina von Tassel is very soft, sweet & creamy.

spellbound is one of my favorite roses. also, rose cross is great, the greenness of the rose is mellowed down by the warm and slightly sweet frankinscense. rose moon is a nice not in-your-head rose :P

Is Rose Red '08 different from the '07? I noticed in the Rose Red reviews that some of the years were different. '07 is amazing on me but I was hoping to read a review of the '08 before I buy it.

Bumping this thread because I think the Valentine's set of roses from the Trading Post may be the best rose scents Beth's ever done. White rose has been my favorite rose note for ages and the White Rose scent is phenomenal - it lasts forever, & the vanilla-y component and the tea and coconut are genius in combination with the sweet white rose note.

And I think that the Red Rose scent may even work for people who don't like, or who can't usually wear, roses. For me, the red rose note is very subtle - instead I get lots of amber and spice and a little hit of that deep, pretty musk. It's completely different from The Peacock Queen or Rose Red, which are predominantly rose.

I have always loved rose and really adore The Lab's rose blends but this week I have tried Ouija and just thought it was wonderful and I wore Black Rose and Miskatonic University together and had a great time. What is the darkest rose that any of you have tried? I am tempted to just order Ouija but hate to think I might be missing something else along these lines.

Edit to reiterate: DARK ROSE?

Edited by novak69

I need HELP!

So, I love rose. I didn't like Two, Five and Seven (old lady rose) but I continually sniff Rose Red (the most beautiful single rose scent ever) and Zombi (also tied with Rose Red for favorites but with dirt). However, I have a big problem. They turn to soap on me :( if anyone has the same experience with rose scents but found one that worked, please tell me. I'd use them in my scent locket, but it's broken for the time being.

Thanks!

I need HELP!

So, I love rose. I didn't like Two, Five and Seven (old lady rose) but I continually sniff Rose Red (the most beautiful single rose scent ever) and Zombi (also tied with Rose Red for favorites but with dirt). However, I have a big problem. They turn to soap on me :( if anyone has the same experience with rose scents but found one that worked, please tell me. I'd use them in my scent locket, but it's broken for the time being.

Thanks!

Hmmm... Try The Rose from Marchen. It's a very sharp fresh green rose scent, and many compare it with Rose Red, but I think that they are not exactly alike. Both are amazing, though Red Red is deeper and woody, and The Rose is bright and fresh. I tend to LOVE the old lady rose scents as well as the non-old lady rose scents.

I have always loved rose and really adore The Lab's rose blends but this week I have tried Ouija and just thought it was wonderful and I wore Black Rose and Miskatonic University together and had a great time. What is the darkest rose that any of you have tried? I am tempted to just order Ouija but hate to think I might be missing something else along these lines.

You might want to give Séance a try. :)

Have you tried Whip? That's the 'darkest' rose scent I've found...

I need HELP!

Thanks!

Ok, so I'm not huge on florals, but like you I love Rose Red, I find Zombi a little too dirty for me, but mix it with Moon rose to add a little sparkle to the dirt and I'm good. I really wanted to like Lucy's kiss but had the soapy experience there. I think you should try Rose Cross. It's like a rich velvety red rose, like you always want real red roses (like those that you get given singly from your sweetie) to smell but they never do. It's a very rich beautiful smell. I find the frankincense plays very much a supporting role here, adds a bit of depth rather than standing out at all, so even if you aren't keen on resins give it a try.

Another thing you might try is swiping them into your hair if it is long enough, oils tend to stay a bit truer to themselves that way. It heps with the wafting too. I used to love it when having a crappy day at work, getting a whiff of whatever I was wearing would suddenly make it bearable, if not good.

A couple more you could try are London, Wanton, Mata Hari and Bess. All are pretty rosy and I don't recall getting any soap from them. Bess is quite a bright scent, I think the rosemary might stop it getting soapy. I have to say I wasn't keen on Mata Hari, the coffee stayed around for me but on a friend it is lovely.

Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have a rose list because I like rose anyway I just really want a rose or an assortment of roses that smell like they have been doing crazy bad things all day. I am thinking I may have to mix and match myself. But Seance and Whip are on my list.

I'm a big rose scent fan, but I hate this sour tea rose scent, of dried rosebuds...

I like this fresh, slightly sweet scent of unoppened rosebuds...

Any advice?

I was planning on ordering Two, Five and Seven...

I remember somebody said it smelled like sugared rose-petals...

It's something I'd like to try... tho it's scary, cause I'm not a fan of sugary scents.

For fresh roses, I'd try Rose Red...

my question - I've been on a rose kick for a couple of months. Spellbound was my 1st rose love. Then Hope. and Katrina van Tassel. Then the Unity Set. Now I'd love to have a rose + honey scent... I could always layer with O... but is there anything out there that has rosey-honey yumminess?

jezebel?

For fresh roses, I'd try Rose Red...

my question - I've been on a rose kick for a couple of months. Spellbound was my 1st rose love. Then Hope. and Katrina van Tassel. Then the Unity Set. Now I'd love to have a rose + honey scent... I could always layer with O... but is there anything out there that has rosey-honey yumminess?

I'm not a huge fan of roses (they tend to be very soapy on me), but I recently got a bottle of The Masque, and it has a lovely rosey note in the bottle and wet that I can't get enough of. I literally spend half the day with my chin pressed to my chest sniffing my locket. :lol: The listed notes include rose accord, but I'm not sure what the makes rose accord different from any other rose note, or what BPAL blends include rose accord. I'd love to find something with a similar note, if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Rose accord is a blend of several different oils to approximate the scent of a rose. Rose oil is prohibitively expensive to produce and so I assume a lot of BPAL rose blends use a rose accord rather than attar of rose (several scents actively list "attar of rose" as an ingredient. Lilith and To a Woman are two that come to mind and since it's noted I kind of assume that if they don't say "attar of rose" they've used an accord). So it will be a bit more hit and miss to find that similar rose scent.

Some recs:

L'Heure Verte Spilled absinthe, scorched sugar cubes, opium smoke, lilac blossoms, and rose water.

This is my newest HG rose scent. It's a perfect combo of anise and rose and the rose is quite calm and cool in the scent. I adore rose but it can also get unruly on my skin at times and it is perfectly reigned in here.

The Miller's Daughter Spun gold, tear-soaked straw, and rose-infused amber.

I tried some of this on this morning and it is very rosey. But I think the slight metal/aquatic scent and the amber pull it in a bit and make it more palatable.

The Obsidian Widow Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

So I realize this is attar of rose but you might want to try it to see if pure rose oil works on your skin or if it's the rose accord blends that can cause you problems. The rose is a pretty faint element in this to be honest. It's a gorgeous blend.

When looking for scents I would look for ones where there's another element to the rose like the rose water note in LHV or the rose infused amber in Miller's Daughter. I'm not positive but to me that indicates that it's more likely an accord being used. Let us know if you find that same rose anywhere else!

Ok so, I was frimped with a sniffie of Rose Red, thanks to the lovely jj_j and now found that I *love* the labs fresh rose scent. My question is, are there any GC scents that currently smell like this one? Also I think a snow rose scent would be beautiful a la snow glass and apples just with rose instead. Are there any like that????

For a fresh rose, I would try The Rose. You could also try 2, 5, and 7, but I found The Rose to be the most like Rose Red.

As for a snowy rose...I'm not sure. I remember smelling something that struck me as a cold rose, but I'm not sure what it was now. :blush: I'm not too familiar with a lot of the snow scents since the few I've tried turned out horribly on me.

I have a decant of the unity set. Both white and red are nice are their own however they remind me of the components of Spellbound and together they smell exactly like (or pretty darn close to) Spellbound. I've put the unity set on 1 wrist and Spellbound on the other - couldn't tell the diff. The spicy rose of Spellbound (no soap whatsoever) has been my fav or the rose scents. It is distinctly rose without being too sweet.

Ok so, I was frimped with a sniffie of Rose Red, thanks to the lovely jj_j and now found that I *love* the labs fresh rose scent. My question is, are there any GC scents that currently smell like this one? Also I think a snow rose scent would be beautiful a la snow glass and apples just with rose instead. Are there any like that????

For snowy rose, I haven't tried it but Christmas Rose (LE) might fit the bill (Bruise-tinted hellebore blossoms pushing through snowdrifts) and again, I haven't tried it, but the general consensus is that The Rose in the Marchen category is very similar to Rose Red in terms of being a simple fresh rose scent and it's GC.

Hmm, Rose Red is probably as close as the lab's rose scents get to SGA. It has that frosty edge. You could try layering a slightly minty scent over it and experiment until you find a combo you like (maybe scents like: Ultraviolet, Cloister Graveyard, Death of the Grave Digger, The Coil).

For other fresh rose scents, try the BPTP's atmospheric blend The Queen's Croquet Ground. It smells almost identical to RR, but without the chilly quality. It's a very fresh, slightly green, aromatic, dewy rose, and it's fantastic. I don't know the atmosphere spray ingredients so I don't know how skin safe it is*, but it is definitely safe for fabric (use discretion on delicate or pale fabrics, of course), so you can spray it on your clothes!

*I'm sure it isn't made from anything nasty or harmful -- it seems to be water rather than alcohol -- but it may contain preservatives or other chemicals, so there's more chance of a skin sensitivity.

My recommendations would be The Rose (GC) and London (GC). The latter is more the tea rose variety. I also strongly recommend Moon Rose, although this is not pure rose, it's coupled with moonflower.

If you want a snowy rose, I would layer one of the rose soliflores with Kumari Kandam (GC), Snow Flakes (LE) or L'Inverno (LE).

oooh thanks so much for your replies everyone! I never thought of layering ozonish/mint scents to make a snowy effect but now I want to try it on poisoned apple too to see if I can make something similar to SGA :D

Edited by Yoginispirit