Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

I love this thread as Rose Red and London are by far my two favourite BPAL rose scents. People are advising you wisely; there is no dilemma here: just get Rose Red while it's still available. And then get London as soon as you can.

Another vote here for Rose red, as it is a limited edition. and you will probably be able to swap it away very easily iff you don't like it....

Another vote to Rose Red for the above mentioned reasons (LE etc)

I like old london but it's a tea rose, so a lot sweeter than Rose Red, which is a fresh cut Dark Red rose, in the scent there are also traces of cut stems, and leaves.

Red Rose, is a very wet dew-laden rose, it smells like freshly cut. Its that vibrant rose smell which is so wonderful about it.

Whereas Old London is more of a tea rose, so a little more powdery, and a little less intense.

But if I had the choice i'd prolly add my vote for the Red Rose, as mentioned a) This is the only time you'll prolly be able to get it and :D In the worst possible scenario that you dont like it, it'll be more easily tradable than Old London.

:P

Another vote to Rose Red for the above mentioned reasons (LE etc)

I like old london but it's a tea rose, so a lot sweeter than Rose Red, which is a fresh cut Dark Red rose, in the scent there are also traces of cut stems, and leaves.

Yeah - what she said :P

Old London is very much a tea rose. Rose red smells like you've just cut a rich red rose out of your lightly rained on garden. it's the rose, stem. leaves & soil all rolled into the rosiest of rose scents ever. I love Rose Red (didn't order a bottle though as i love sniffing it but it's not a very 'me' scen to actually wear...mind you my Mum goes gaga for it. She loves Old london too.) Rose red's less of a girly rose than london. If London is a little girl rose, rose red is a teenage/young woman rose scent.

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to find -some- way to get a decant of Rose Red, all of you gave such lovely descriptions of it! Wow. :D You guys are SUCH enablers! NAUGHTY! *dies*

I normally don't like rose scents, but now you guys are making me want to try this sooo bad.... :P

Moon Rose is my second favourite rose scent -- it smells a lot like Yves Saint Laurent Paris (but nicer). Alice isn't very rosey on me at all. My favourite rose is Zombi, but it does have an earthy smell to it as well which you probably either love or hate.

I think Zombi's a hit or miss scent for rose fans. On me, there's absolutely no rose at all, which is fantastic since I hate rose. I know, blasphemy, right? :P

My favourite rose scents in order of :P to :D

1) Moon Rose (perfect. Not too strong, but not light either)

2) Rose Red (WONDERFUL except it's very very potent and strong)

3) Persephone (the mingling of the pomegrante prevents the rose from overpowering)

4) Old London (beautiful but a bit naughty and dirty. I felt like a whore who should be trolling whitechapel wearing it)

5) Black Rose (made me ill)

I haven't tried Silentium Amoris although I have the imp.

Endymion! Endymion!

I'm actually part of the anti-rose faction of the Forum, but Endymion is wonderful! Not too powdery, but very brisk.

As for the holiday scents, girl, just get 'em all!!

-doreen

i've only tried four rose scents: harlot, pride, zombi, and alice. alice and zombi didn't smell like rose on me at all. pride smelled very sharp and cheap, somewhat like air freshener.

that leaves harlot. if rose scents worked on me, it would probably be my favorite. it's extremely sensual, and i think it'd be perfect for the colder months. since rose red is a limited edition, i would buy that one while you can (you only have until tonight to order it. they're being pulled around midnight, am i correct?). if you like incensey and dark scents, try spellbound.

I went into an art museum's gift shop the other day...they were selling some rose-scented votives, and they seriously smelled like real roses, not the fake Victoria's Secret sort of rose. I imagine that Rose Red is a beautiful true rose. Get it! And definitely get Gingerbread Poppet, I've been dreaming about it... :P

Silentium Amoris is my favorite oil (and my favorite rose thus far) but of course it's gone. *sob*

Psyche is gorgeous and very rosy and complex. Rakshasa is also quite nice, like a spiced Indian rose.

I've tried:

Black Rose

Blood Rose

Silentium Amoris

Psyche

Persephone

The Empress

And The Empress is by far the truest, purest rose scent of those. I haven't tried Rose Red (yet).

Black Rose is a beautiful, deep, dark, solemn rose. It makes me think of those huge velvety South American "jungle" roses. It's my favorite rose scent.

Persephone is a very juicy, sweet rose.

Rose Red, from what I've read, would be a great choice for a freshly picked, early morning rose. I think you should get that one right away, since it's an LE and then spend more time deciding on others.

The Empress and Rose Red are two of the most pure rose scents I've tried. Spellbound is heavy on the incense, Black Rose and Blood Rose are both very deep and dark. Moon Rose is pretty, but on me the rose took a back seat.

My favorite is by far Rose Red. I grow roses as a hobby (perhaps an obsession) and Rose Red smells exactly like a fresh cut rose - green stem and all. It's uncanny. It's got real lasting power, and as a room scent, it's to die for. Get it get it get it!

Rose scents...

Holy grail of all rose scents is Crucible of Courage, smells like a creamy sugar coated rose. :P

I also really like (in order)...Delirium, Harlot, Persephone, The Empress and Rose Red.

oh, andrabell reminded me that i've also tried delirium. i had no idea it was a rose scent because it didn't smell like roses on me at all. i guess rose ISN'T amplified on my skin like i've been thinking all this time. -scratches head-

now i have to order harlot again, and give blood rose a try. :P

I think Moon Rose sounds right down your alley - and Red Rose is a must have - I passed my wee bit on because it was so gorgeous I felt guilty keeping it when other people hadn't experienced it yet - it's a marvel of a rose scent. Psyche, Rakshasa and Harlot would be next on my list. Spellbound is exquisite but it's a incensey composition containing rose, rather than a rose scent. If you want something more like a rose soliflore, you'd be better off with Moon Rose or Red Rose.

Okay, I can now safely recommend Old London as (in my humble, rose-hating opinion) the perfect rose scent. I got an imp of it free in my last order and gave it to my mom who adores roses and she's head over heels for it. :P

How about the scent of both the rose flower and its leaves? Like a child's rose and vegetable garden?

For that you'll be looking for the LE Rose Red...but I think Ophelia is a good alternative to RR.

I believe someone mentioned Whip as a good alternative to Rose Red, actually... apparently the leather is not too prominent.

I tried London for the first time yesterday and loved it; very pure rose. It's not nearly as green as Rose Red though.

Silentium Amoris went gross on me (I think I don't like ylang-ylang) and the Empress kind of did the same thing.

I adore Stella- I had a sample card for about 6 month and finally bought it when I was at a duty free shop at the airport. it is still one of my all time favorite scents because I like the sharp tang that goes with the rose.

I get no licorice out of it at all.

Of all the 60 or so BPALs I've tried, Wolfsbane reminds me the most of Stella. Evne in the bottle I thought that. I immediately ordered the big bottle!