Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

I think a rose + amber scent would be amazing, you could get some single notes and layer -- or what about O with Old London?

Spellbound is the most glorious blend of three roses, amber, and a touch of red musk. It's ten steps beyond gorgeous. I don't think it's the innocently creamy rose scent that you're looking for, SilverGarland, but for anybody who wants to try a rose/amber blend, you can *not* overlook Spellbound. It's one of my absolute favorites.

I'm just experiencing my coveted Alice for the first time (thanks, lorajc!), and may I just say you're in for a massive treat! This is innocently sexy creamy rose...I'm gonna go review it right now! :P As soon as the bottle thing isn't a problem anymore, I'm SO ordering a 5ml of this!!!!

I own and adore Alice, but now that Halloween is near, I'd like a deeper and darker rose. I want a rose scent that would be black and/or purple if it were a color. Nothing smoky or incense-y, please. And I'd be very happy if the scent is predominantly rose instead of having it just as one of the minor/supporting notes. Thanks :P

I'm tempted to go for Emily the Strange's Black Rose, but thought that I'd check with BPAL first.

I like Alice because it's a rose that doesn't smell old lady on me. I've heard about Black Rose, but some people said that it turned oldish on them when it dries down?

Edited by SilverGarland

The only one I've had any experience with that sort of fits the criteria is Blood Rose. It's a purplish red scent to me. Woe, but I do not like rose scents, or I'd be more help.

Old London and Blood Rose are great rose scents. Unfortunately, I can only vouch for how they smell out of the bottle (my skin does weird things with rose scents, like drowning out *any* other scents in the blend).

I agree with Blood Rose; it's a wonderful deep rich scent - all roses and red wine. It doesn't seem purple to me but it's a very bold, provacative rose. Nothing delicate or old ladyish about it at all.

I've only tried two rose scents so far, Harlot and Blood Rose, and I discounted them both for different reasons. This thread shows why it's good to have a variety of views!

Harlot is too bright, I think, more a bright, exotic rose than a deep, dark, purplish rose...

Blood Rose, to me, however, doesn't meet your criteria of smelling like a rose. I love Blood Rose, but I get mostly dragon's blood and sweet red wine from it, with the rose as more in the background and in a 'supporting' role, rather than the main scent. It looks like that's not true for others though, so it might be a good choice.

Oh, and I have Moon Rose, but I haven't really tried it yet. If it's dark, I'll let you know!

black rose is fabulous I adore it, and that's coming from a hardened tomboy, lol.

it doesn't go grannyish at all, just stays this deep rose scent, also has the lovely fringe benefit of clinging to whatever clothes I have on, my denim jacket is now a perfumed jacket of loveliness.

Black Rose is actually my signature BPAL scent..but I find it to be very dark..with an Englishness about it...something along the lines of Victorian morbidity... very nice... I wear it often. :P

OTHELLO!!

Or Ouija, considering the season... it's not real heavy on me, but quite dark and rich on a friend on mine.

i would also second black rose and othello. i wish i didn't try them in the summer, because both morphed into something really heavy on me. but i have the feeling they would both be delightful in the winter.

also, if you can get your hands on some red rose, i would recommend that too. it's a very green rose - a cool scent perhaps more suited for winter than fall.

Have you considered Venus? That one to me smells like the whole rose, petals, leaves, stems and all. It's very green with a little bit of pink, not sure if that's the kind of "darkness" you are after. Anyway, I don't usually do well with roses but that one is spectacular.

I have an imp of Old London and like it. My question is will I like Rose Red better?

I am trying to decide which to buy a 5 mL of.

Thanks!

Well... the "like better" is a very hard question. Everyone is different.

But you won't have another chance at Rose Red, at least not until late '05. So I'd vote for gambling on that.

Rose Red is more a pure rose then Old London. I wore it and people kept marveling how I smelled like a deep perfectly just cut rose.

So I'd get it based on that if you like roses. Plus it's LE.

I think that you should go on and go for Rose Red, you could probably get Old London on the swaps board, but Rose Red is a LE, it'll be harder to get.... Plus you could trade it for something you like better later on.... =)

--Mystina

Hi! I am a BPAL virgin looking for a pretty rose scent! I am on the verge of ordering Rose Red, but thought I might ask for opinions first. I am looking for a rose scent that is feminine and noticable, but not over-powering.

Also, I am trying to decide between Egg Nog and Gingerbread Poppet as a holiday scent. I am hoping for something that you can nearly taste while smelling it, but again, hopefully not too overpowering. Preferences?

Thank you so much! :P

Edited by sea_stars

Did the reviews for the different rose scents help you? I don't think anyone has tried Egg Nog yet as it's new for this update, but Gingerbread Poppet has many followers from previous Yule orders.

I've tried Black Rose, Seraglio, Harlot, Persephone, Othello, Maiden, and Alice as far as rose scents. Alice isn't very rosey but is my favorite. The rose in Persephone is quite strong, and I liked that one a lot.