Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with pear, white wine grapes, and jasmine-laced tea.

In the bottle all buttery pumpkin, with a light note of something sweet behind it.
Wet, pumpkin butter. As it dries the butter diaappears, pear and wine grapes appear. Not grapey like candy. Like I'm on a picnic in a vineyard. Having tea and pumpkin tarts. Delish!

PP#1: First thought on sniffing this is 'hmmm, pear'. The fruity sweetness combined with the grape is pretty aggressive and the pumpkin is somewhat subdued. Pear is never a good note for me (see the Unicorn) so I'm wary of trying it on but I do love pumpkin so I dab a little on my wrist. Once on, the pear and grape combination really doesn't mute much and I'm not getting as much of the pumpkin as I'd like. It doesn't change much over time and remains quite sweet. This may be better on a chilly fall day when the heat doesn't amp up the notes on the skin (or my skin at any rate) but I'm not sure I'm going to fall for this blend. I'll have to give it another try later on.

In the bottle and initially on my skin, Pumpkin I is all pumpkin with a pie crust note. Buttery and flaky.

As it dries, the fruity notes start to emerge and the pumpkin fades into the background. The buttery pie crust note is completely gone. Now it's all bright sparkly fruits, with the grape being the main note. It actually smells a lot like grape bubblegum but not as obnoxious. The pumpkin in the background is grounding it and adding a smoothness to the fruit. Then the grape tones it down some so the pear can come play too. It's become a little more sophisticated now though it's still sparkly.

For some reason, this blend makes me picture a white sparkly cocktail gown with the slit up to there. Flirty and fun but also tasteful.

Verdict: I love it! I really enjoy the white fruitiness.

This went straight to cherry cough syrup on me. Not terribly unpleasant cherry cough syrup but still... it's obviously not the pumpkin blend for me this year.

At first, it's buttery pumpkin and pears. A new kind of dessert? It smells scrumptious. Don't worry, the butter quickly disappears!

As it dries, the grapes and jasmine tea come out. Now I'm not one who amps jasmine, but in this blend, I can't even smell it at all. The grapes don't smell like fake-grape or candy to me, more like fresh fruit.

Dry: This is the scent of fall, but not traditional fall with cozy spices and hot cocoa. It smells like a vineyard after the harvest, a few white grapes left, but mostly the smell of dried vines (that's the tea leaf that's doing that for me). It smells like an autumn pear orchard. It smells like a pumpkin patch. The pear is first to go, followed by the grapes, leaving me with pumpkins and dried vines (tea). Beautiful, subtle, and I'd say sophisticated.

Edited by Babylon

In the imp: Pear and pumpkin

On Skin: Pear! OOH lovely. Unfortunately after a few minutes, it burns off and I get in-your-face pumpkin. Very much like Jack

On Drydown: Jack

Two hours later: I get less pumpkin, hardly any at all, slight grapes and very slight jasmine. Pretty.

Verdict: I'm going to have to give this another whirl, possibly in a week or so to see how my skin reacts. I'm not entirely ready to give up on it. Not keen on the drydown stage and I was really hoping that the pear would last longer. Ah well.

I *adore* this. The pumpkin is a very well behaving basenote in this on me - it is a much more fruity pumpkin than in past BPAL pumpkin blends, blending gorgeously with the pear and the grapes for a fresh, fruity perfect early autumn scent. The tea adds a lovely savoryness, and much to my great joy, the jasmine behaves and is nothing more than a whisp of delacateness. Lovelovelove!

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Pumpkin I smells like pumpkin over jasmine tea with a hint of pear. Unfortunately, it started to burn, so this Pumpkin is not for me.

PUMPKIN I - A surprise hit! It is so gorgeous.

Wet: In the bottle I smell that strong, characteristic pumpkin note. It's that buttery one that people are afraid of. Never fear! It goes away and it is breathtakingly gorgeous. I can tell that the pear is sitting behind there, cool and juicy.

Dry on Skin: This scent is a HUGE morpher. It goes from that somewhat buttery pumpkin, to a dry pumpkin with juicy pear (no butter in sight whatsoever), then to a slightly spicy pear with pumpkin, then to a vineyard-inspired grape that is very wine-like and not so fruity. Last but not least a soft and sweet floral comes out to join the pear, wine, and pumpkin. At this stage the jasmine is very reminiscent of what I get from the MB: Bigger Critters oil.

Pumpkin I is refreshing and feminine. It is a sweet and light, mellow fruit harvest with a base of pumpkin and a smattering of soft jasmine.

Edited by alicia_stardust

I don't smell so much jasmine here, which is good, because I don't like jasmine too much. Nor do I get pear. But I DO smell a bit of grape - and I LOVE BPAL's grape scents! After about an hour it is still pumpkin/grapey. Very nice, autumnal scent.

at first: pumpkin, with a slight hint of white grapes.

on: lovely. this is really lovely. still mostly pumpkin, but with the freshness of pear and grapes.

3 hours later: fresh, sweet, and fruity. this is really gorgeous and not foody.

5 hours later: very faint. tea-like.

overall: lovely, lovely stuff. the pumpkin fades pretty quickly on me, but the other notes are divine.

In bottle/imp: Super buttery pumpkin with sweet pear and grapes.

Immediately on skin: This is almost TOO sweet… the white wine grapes and pear are syrupy sweet, and the pumpkin is extremely strong and buttery. It smells like candy.

After a few minutes: The pumpkin in this is still coming through strong, and so are the fruit notes. I don’t really get any jasmine, but there is a nice refreshing tea-like quality to it mixed with the other notes. It’s still syrupy sweet though.

Overall Impressions: This pumpkin is extremely sweet, but I tend to amp sweet notes so it might not be as bad on others. It’s slightly buttery fruit candy on me, and might be too sweet to wear very often. Still though, I really like it! I see the entire patch in my future.

This year's Pumpkins have been very cruel to me. None of are scents I've fallen in love with, and most simply don't work, which is the case with this one. And that's sad, because this and 5 had my highest hopes pinned to them.

In the bottle, this is just what I hoped for--Pumpkins and Pears and Grapes, Oh My! I was delighted. And wet, I got the swoon-worthy tart others mentioned--a delicious fall confection, with a pot of tea on the side. I was thrilled.

Until it turned, and really it did it so quickly I barely had time to savor the first delicious wet stages. Because as it dried, it moved from a gourmet delight to pure Play-Doh. Now what note does that? i don't know. But this is play-doh for the longest time, and then finally (a couple of hours later before it fades away entirely) it is a soft, nondescript spice.

Very sad!

Hmm.., I had high hopes for this and I'm not entirely dissapointed

In bottle: Buttery!

Wet: VERY buttery crust. I detect little pumpkin at first but I do smell what appears to be butter soaked graham crackers. There is a hint of grape too, but they don't really feel yet like the go togeher. I feel like I am in the candle aisle between two scents...

After a few minutes: Mmm... this is better More grape, less crust tho I still detect it. Not finding the pear yet, but it might be lurking there right behind the grape. The grape smells more purple than white so far, more of a candy grape.

Dry on skin: WOW is this a morphing scent! I don't get any of the tea, but dry I can smell all the other notes at once. The pear turns the grape sparkling, the buttery pumpkin is there but not overpowering. All together it is warm and comforting... Halloween in Tuscany maybe :P

I opened all the pumpkin patch bottles and sniffed each one and then picked my two favorites to review first.

Pumpkin Patch #1 was one of the two that I really liked the smell of when I sniffed it in the bottle.

It's a full on buttery goodness that I get initially with a fruity but crisp scent underneath that.

It gets better the longer it stays on my skin.

Now it smells like caramel corn and that fruity clean scent underneath that.

At 5 minutes. Now it's kind of "meh".

If I were eating caramel corn (fresh, warm, home made caramel corn) with a glass of champagne, Pumpkin Patch #1 is what that would smell like.

I'd give it a 3, I like it but not enough to wear it on a regular basis. If there were a blend with just the sparkly fruity undernotes of this, then I would wear it on a regular basis.

BPALPumpkinPatch12007.jpg

Edited by UltraViolet

This was much more pumpkin-y on me than 2 and 3. But there was a really nice blend of fruit wafting on top, although I can't pick out any one fruit note distinctly. It's nice and warm, and really a blend I wouldn't have expected to work so well together. I should know better than to doubt Beth by now.

It does go through a kind of unusual stage on me. Sniffing my skin, I don't get this, but the throw gives off a scent that reminds me somewhat of beer. Not like straight out of the bottle in a frosty mug beer, but having a party at your parents' house before you were 21, and you kind of forgot (or couldn't find everything) to clean up some of the evidence, and a couple days later your mom busts you out because she found a cup of beer behind the plant in the living room. Kind of sweet and yeasty and bready almost. It's actually a really nice comforting scent. (Not that I like my beer warm and three days old, but seriously, that's what I smelled!)

The Pumpkin Patch this year has been phenomenal, I've loved every single blend, and this is no exception. Bravo, Beth!

Eh, this isn't quite meshing on me. It comes off as spicy grape...no sign of the beloved pear I wanted. Grape always reminds me of medicine and there's not enough to temper it in this. I'm sure other chemistry would bring out the better notes.

wet: oh noes! buttery pumpkin! smells like buttery soap!

dry: Grape soda! Not kidding, my husband and i both did a double-take on the dry-down. I'm honest to god not kidding, it smells just like grape soda, in fact it smells just like Wildwood Grape Soda :P all sugary and grape-y. I like it, it's just ... odd :D

Mmm, Pumpkin #1 is lovely. Buttery pumpkin, a hint of jasmine tea, and sweet grapes. It smells gorgeous on, gourmet without being foody. Two for two so far on the pumpkin patch.

I will admit that butter is an unkindly note once it comes in contact with my skin. I typically prefer not to have the butter note in the same zip code with my person. This year, however, I was able to buy the whole pumpkin plunder.

I found Pumpkin#1 a little too sweet for my skin but it's beautiful in the locket, where I tend to keep gourmand scents. I was surprised at how balanced this blend is. The pumpkin and the jasmine tea are the most prevalent notes with the pear and the wine grapes adding a sparkle of nectar. Pumpkin #1 reminds me of the beginnings of fall when bartlett pears and sugar pumpkins begin their appearance in farmers' markets and my fruit bowl is arranged to overflowing. It's a fresh and proper scent, like having a pear tart in a tea house at 4 p.m. on an autumn day.

In the bottle: Pumpkin, like all the other members of the Patch.

Wet: There's that base note of pumpkin, with some light fruits dancing around on top. The other notes start light and unobtrusive in this one. In one stage, I'm very much smelling the tea, though I don't really get the jasmine.

Dry: This is pumpkin with a light grape note. It's very pleasant, but not my favorite. I will probably wear this one again, but I won't reach for it everyday.

ADDED Feb. 21:

In the bottle: Pumpkin. Just pumpkin. Not getting any of the other notes.

Wet: A sweet juicy pear note blossoms through the pumpkin base, followed by the grapes. The grapes smell very true to the fruit - not boozy, not candy-sweet, not grape juice. Just grapes. However, the combination of the pear and the grapes is very fruity-sweet, but in a good way. The tea note is an afterthought, wafting around on top of everything, but I don't smell any jasmine. A bit later, the fruit backs off and the tea comes forward, making this pumpkin with tea floating on top. Even later, the pear returns and blends with the tea, before the grapes reappear a bit further in.

Dry: For a bit, it takes on a slightly plasticky smell, which isn't necessarily bad. Luckily, however, the plastic smell fades. The pumpkin lightens up as well, and while it's still very much there, it's more of a warm base to the fruits, which amp back up.

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I am utterly in love with Pumpkin Patch #4 and Pumpkin Patch #5 from the first round. This was the only one of the new set that grabbed me.

In the Bottle: Buttery pumpkin, with a light sweet character thanks to the fruits.

Wet: I get pumpkin for about two seconds, then the pear and grape take over. They aren't candy-like at all on me, very much like fresh fruit.

Drydown: The pumpkin fades back in, blending very nicely with the pear and grape. It's a refreshing change to have pumpkin and fruit, but nothing that screams "PIE!!!"

Verdict: If I use up the decant as fast as I think I'm going to, I'll be needing a bottle of it.

I was wary about getting any of the Pumpkin scents. Someone was nice enough to give me the remnants of their Pumpkin Queen decant a while ago and it hated me.

In bottle: A very creamy pumpkin pie with a slight hint of something sweet.

Wet on skin: The pumpkin amplified, which I suspected it would.

Drydown: After a few minutes, there is little to no trace of the pumpkin. Instead it is a very sweet, almost bubblegum scent (if I sniff really hard, it's almost like the pear in Glitter.)

Verdict: Not an immediate winner in my book, but it's going to the "maybe" stack. :P

The pear and grapes in this one make it extremely sweet. Like candy. I don't think I smell any jasmine.

I thought I'd like this one because I like both pumpkin and pear quite a lot, but this smells like grape candy. The thing I hate about grape candy and gum is they can never get it right and the grape part always tastes artificial. That's what this smells like. There's a little bit of pumpkin behind it, and I like that part of the scent, but I'm not interested in that weird grape candy scent.

I almost never read the descriptions when I try a scent out and when half way dried i wondered what smelled SOOOOOO pretty? It was Pumpkin 1 :P

Wet: Baked Pumpkin pie with a glass of red wine! LOVE

Dry: Pumpkin sorta smooth out a little and i dont really smell any jasmine..good, i dont really care for jasmine. The sweetness of the pear and grapes started to creep out more...the more the merrier...I think the grapes & wine during dried down is what made my wrists(and area around me) smelled so DARN pretty!!

Verdict: It's very fall-ish decadant scent with a touch of fruitness. Cant give enough encomium for PUmpkin 1