Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

Goblin

Dab a bit behind each ear, and you'll be instantly inspired to alter street signs, shake fruit from your neighbor's trees, and hide your roommate's car keys. Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

Goblin is awesome! It has the right amount of patchouli and the most heavenly coconut note ever! I love it! The patchouli is the soft and cuddly kind and the coconut is sweet and aids in making this warm and cozy AND delicious. BUT the sad thing for me is the staying power. My skin eats this up fast! I have even slatehered it on and still it's gone in less than an hour. But it's so good, damn my skin! :wub2:

In the imp: the coconut is most predominant, with the faintest hint of patchouli, but the scent then ends with a sharp, almost bitter note.

wet on my skin: The bitter note is gone, whatever it was, and the coconut is out loud and proud, dragging it's shy partner patchouli around. I like this.

the dry down: The coconut left the party fast. This is all patchouli now, no mistake. I keep resniffing myself hoping that the coconut came back but no, it's not going to happen. All patchouli all the time.

Verdict: I am going to hang on to this one for now, I really loved it with the coconut, but on it's own it's just meh. I may try to layer it with other coconut scented things, since I really liked this combo.

This one really disappointed me. I had very high hopes. I so badly want to find a coconut blend that works for me! I also want a sweetened patchouli that doesn't waft dirt. What's sad is the coconut works but coconut dirt just doesn't make for a good team.

Wet this is all patchouli, but patchouli always amps at first on me.

Once dry this is sweet patchouli. Very nice, but not a lot of coconut. I was really hoping for coconut....*sigh*

Oh, I liked this at first. Wet it was all coconut and dirt on me which seemed apt for "black coconut" (which I have no idea how that smells), but then the benzoin starts to show and it becomes medicinal on me, campho phenique, ick!

gosh I really love this. It's like the most perfect evocative patchouli, without being cheap or simple. Absolutely mouth watering and gorgeous.

In the imp: sharp patchouli with an aftersmell (is that a thing?) of coconut.

Wet: exactly what the description says: patchouli, coconut and benzoin.

Dry: I kinda love this. Really harsh patchouli sweetened up by coconut resin.

Love love love :bunnyluv: this patch is a lot gnarlier than the one on Banshee Beat for sure, but the coconut and benzoin really mellow it out nicely and boy does it WORK!

Goblin smells like a Goblin should, green, earthy, smoky and a tiny bit sweet!

I was frimped with this little baby and I'm so glad I was.

In the imp it's resiny which I love! I got a hint of dirt but it went away pretty quickly. It's Patch but not really HEADSHOP patch. It could be if not for the vanilla that seems to be hiding in the background. I know there isn't any in it but the combination of scents morphs into vanilla.

On the skin it's vanilla and woody which I'm really digging. And there really isn't the true COCONUT scent which is good because it can be very fake and suntan-like.

This is a resiny/woody vanilla scent that's very earthy. I really like it. Bottle worthy.

Imp: Gnarly Patchouli alrighty
Wet on me: total wood of the patchouli
Drying Down: faint traces of the coconut but totally gnarly patchouli. like totally ;)
Dry: never got the benzoin. You catch faint ghost whisps of the coconut when you inhale deep, but mostly.....Patchouli

On the wand, this is primarily a sweet, creamy black coconut with a bit of rough patch under it.

On my skin, well, that's a lovely coconut. Maybe too sweet for me, but I love its dark creaminess. The benzoin's vanilla tone is blending right into it, and a hidden creamy vanilla note being in here, too, wouldn't surprise me. This coconut leans toward foodie, but isn't entirely so.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the patchouli is behaving itself. It's just contributing to a sense of the tropics... it adds the texture of palm-roofed huts...

Oh. This would be the fragrance of any given troll village in WoW.

(Little wave of nostalgia.)

I love fragrance.

This is a beautiful dirty coconut scent. It's just a little sweet. The patch is perfectly dirty and is somewhat smoothed by the coconut. This is a perfect non-tropical coconut.

Hmm, I thought I would love this one. I do like it, but there's something kind of musty about it that's keeping it from being a love. My sample is a bit older, so the patchouli has intensified, and I'm wondering if that's it. It never gets smooth or creamy on my skin, instead staying as dark, dirty patchouli with a slight overtone of coconut. It's actually kind of dry on me. Over time the coconut amps and I actually get a bit of the husk, which is surprising. It's still pretty dirty and musty, and unfortunately this isn't a favorite.

Fuzzy brown husk and sweet patchouli. This goblin's a small hairy Scottish brownie type fellow. It's good, but it's almost too simple. There's a similarity to Banshee Beat but this isn't as rich or quite as dark.

ohhh my gosh. this is one of my top 5 for sure. it's so funny - i love patchouli and wear it as a single note all the time, but i didn't even realize this had patchouli in it until i came here and read these posts!

in the imp: sweet, spicy, rich golden coconut.

wet: i get a super SPICY note for the first couple of hours of this. not even like, the typical spice notes that are in oils. it's literally like.... black pepper. it has a bite. it's rich, it's HOT. it's gorgeous and interplays with the sweet coconut soooo perfectly and i just adore it.

dry: the spice mellows and the benzoin comes forth. the coconut is consistent throughout. sweet, warm, deep, soft. cozy but not cloying. one of my favorite things about Goblin is 1) the throw and 2) the lasting power. they are both ideal for me. the best way i can describe the throw is that i feel like the fragrance surrounds me and envelopes me, like a golden aura. it's not overpowering, but it's present enough that myself and anyone standing near me can smell it. and it lasts very well, too. this is one that i can apply in the morning and still smell close to my skin at night, even if i don't reapply midday.

As someone who heavily identifies with goblins, I was pretty disappointed with the impression this scent had on me. I was so excited to try it on and then all I could smell was Carmex lip balm. It has been explained to me that it may be the benzoin componenet, I am unsure. I wish I could like it. ;c

Starts out strong on the patchouli (and yes, it is gnarly!). Quickly morphs into black coconut, which is different from foody or beachy coconut... it's darker and less sweet. This initial phase of patchouli + black coconut is very reminiscent of So Below, one of my favorite blends. Unfortunately, the morphing stops in a spot that's almost entirely benzoin. It's sharp and woodsy, almost like cedar, and the other notes are practically gone. I would have liked this one a lot more if the benzoin wasn't so overpowering on me.

someone in the facebook groups recommended this as an alternative to Silky Bat in the Blood Milk Exquisite Corpse line. I happened to get my hands on Silky Bat, and I can definitely see how they're in the same family.

I really, really dig patchouli. From light to dark, new to aged, give me all your patchouli. I also love benzoin. Coconut? meh, I could take or leave and it depends on what else is with it. I have a tendency to turn coconut notes into "sun tan oil," so testing is super important for me.

I got an imp of Goblin, and really, it's seeming like love at first sniff. It's very heavy patchouli and benzoin in the bottle. I am a super happy camper.

Wet on my skin, its heavy heavy patchouli with benzoin in the background to temper a touch. A few minutes in, and the coconut starts to make an appearance. It's not foodie, which makes me happy.

As it continues to dry down, The patchouli softens and the coconut and benzoin start to come out further. There's a slightly citric/vanilla note that comes out to play from the benzoin. I dig this. The longer it wears, the more complex it becomes. That citric/sour vanilla is coming up, and I hope it stays in check. If I continue to amp it, I won't like this. Either that or maybe I'm having a bad nose day, which is definitely a possibility.

Overall, right now, Goblin is a super rich, dank patchouli that's supported by soft, round, dry coconut and sweet, resinous benzoin. I'm pretty sure I'll put this on my list and add it to my ever-growing patchouli collection.

The scent is dark and dirty. The patchouli doesn't give me the 'clean' impression that I sometimes think of when I smell it (which I think is the result of it being in various things toiletries products I've smelled).

I don't know why, but it gives me the impression of an old stone building plus...other things. The coconut is definitely not sweet, juicy or tropical to me. Perhaps that is the other notes balancing it.

There's no sweetness to this on me, only a bit of spiciness, and I like that. This is one I wear.

Edited by cyborgutena
added a couple of details based on my current impressions.

I love Goblin. It's in my GC top 10 for sure.

Over the last 3 years, my skin's relationship with patchouli has changed. I used to be able to wear all but the most armpitty patch scents with no problem. Now, almost all of my patch blends go straight to funky town within minutes of applying. Goblin, despite saying "gnarly" in the description, is smooth & seductive. I think the coconut & benzoin must protect the patch from my skin's skunk powers. It goes on smooth & sweet, very sexy in a unisex way. Medium throw. Not long-lasting, but worth reapplying.

Wet: Dark, heavy patchouli and... cedar. Where is the cedar coming from?

Dry: Still patchouli and cedar. Cedar is one of my most disliked notes, so this isn't for me. The coconut and benzoin didn't seem to make an appearance.

Frimp fresh from the Lab.

In the imp: Patchouli with a touch of benzoin to sweeten it up.

On me, wet: 100% Cedar Single Note. WTH?

At 5 minutes: Mostly cedar, but some patchouli is starting to show up.

At 10 minutes: What happened to the patch? Now it is cedar with a little benzoin.

At 20 minutes: Cedar and patchouli, about equal in strength at first sniff, but quickly turns into almost all cedar. With just a vague hint of patchouli and benzoin. It's a rather odd combination. The throw is mostly cedar as well, just a little patchouli.

At 30 minutes: Almost all cedar. I was getting a bit of patchouli and just a dab of vanilla from the benzoin, but those have gone into hiding now.

At 45 minutes: Still mostly cedar, which has gone a little smoky. A tiny bit of patchouli. And maybe a hint of coconut husk - definitely not the sweet coconut meat - but it's so vague that I might be imagining it.

At 1 hour: There's more patchouli in the throw now, but it's primarily cedar. On the skin there's a little patchouli and that shred of coconut husk mixed in with all the smoky cedar. I like the cedar more, with the smokiness. It makes the cedar note smoother, softer, and less sharp. I'm not noticing any benzoin any more. This is a warm scent.

A few minutes later, some definite coconut meat has come into the scent. It's a minor player, but clearly there. I'm not normally a fan of coconut in perfumes, but I really like it in this. With all the wood and patchouli, it isn't foody. It goes so well with the other notes, and makes the overall fragrance milder and more interesting.

At 4 hours: Ooh, the goblin is absolutely gorgeous now. I've been sleeping, and haven't smelled it for the past three hours. It has undergone a transformation, turned into a prince! The sharp stridency of the cedar has settled down into fine old wood, and the patchouli has gentled, becoming beautifully mild and sweet. The whole thing is tempered and sweetened by plenty of lucious creamy vanilla-coconut. But not foody, thanks to the wood, patch, and a gentle cozy smokiness. And it's no longer masculine, but perfectly unisex. If it smelled like this the whole time, this would be one of my top favorite perfumes! It is sweet, rich, warm, comforting, and so beautiful. Wow, what a lovely surprise!

At 12 hours: Still so pretty, and it still has decent strength. Sweet warm vanilla and powder.

Predominant Note(s): Cedar

Character: Woody, Warm, Masculine to Unisex

3 out of 6 stars in the first hour or so: Pleasant, but a bit boring, and too masculine to be my thing.

6 stars, later in drydown: Swoonworthy and unisex.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Imp purchased from a forumite, dated February 1, 2014.

In the imp: Patchouli in the foreground, sweet benzoin a bit behind. I can make out a touch of the black coconut. 

On my skin: 

Wet,  the benzoin and patchouli reverse ranks, and the bit of black coconut disappears. As it dries, it morphs again. Now the benzoin recedes, so the patchouli becomes dominant, with an underscore of black coconut. My skin chemistry is not doing this combination any favors. It smells like a combination of crayon wax and pencil shavings -- really, almost exactly like when I used to open up the box where I stored colored pencils and crayons as a middle grades child. Once it settles down, I can pick out both the patchouli and black coconut notes very distinctly -- but yes, in effect, they are colored pencils and crayons on my skin. 

I had a bottle of Goblin once that was pretty close to a patch single note with the faintest hint of coconut that i liked okay. The bottle I just got is awesomely balanced patch with coconut with tons of sweet benzoin. I loooooove it. It remimds me of a commercial perfume but way cooler