Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

Goblin

Dab a bit behind each ear, and you'll be instantly inspired to alter street signs, shake fruit from your neighbor's trees, and hide your roommate's car keys. Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

I received a frimp of this when I bought my first set of imps and I have decided that the lab must be psychic because it has become my fave!!

In the imp I will admit..was a tad scared for a few seconds :eek: but once on my skin it is yummy, creamy coconut summer-scented patchouli!! :wub2:

Uh..unfortunately, my imp leaked out AFTER I placed my last order from the lab :frustrated: so now I may consider big bottle purchase when some funds free up as I am going through Goblin withdrawal..bummer.

In the imp: OMG Patchouli!

Wet: Too much patchouli for me! I like a bit of patchouli, but this is something else...

Dry: Pencil shavings, which fades into slightly burnt pencil shavings. Yech!

In the vial - Sweet and creamy and coconutty, but with a naughty little note of dirty patchouli underneath. MMMmmm.

Wet on the skin - Pathcouli patchouli patchouli. I smell like a hippy's pencilcase. :sad:

Next stages - Thankfully the lovely warm coconut and the sweet benzoin notes have swelled up again, although the blend is still a little more earthy than those I normally enjoy.

Dry down - This is a very unpredictable blend indeed - like a goblin itself, it swings between naughty and nice. Sometimes it's a lovely warm vanilla-resin richness, and sometimes it's all earth and dried wood. I think I'll keeo this for a while and see if it behaves better after a spell in the imp box.

If you like this, try - Death Cap

GOBLIN

I tried this one yesterday from a Lab frimp.

I definitely like the black coconut & benzoin components from this one - but alas the patchouli was too much for me after about an hour.

I kept it on for an additional 2 or 3 hours even though I *hate* patchouli to see if the coconut & benzoin do something interesting that drown out the patchouli.

They did not so Goblin is definitely not a winner in my book :(

Wow! Much more balanced than Depraved. I was expecting the patchouli to take over on this one, but no! Exactly as described. The coconut is actually the strong element while wet, then they're all even in drydown. Very nice!

Goblin

Desert-dry coconut and filthy, sexy, warm patchouli. I love this so much.

On the skin: A sweet dirt scent. I am actually kind of liking it! It isn't something I would wear often, but I can't stop sniffing it.

"Gnarly Patchouli" indeed! The oil leaked out of the imp all over my fingers for a second I was a little overwhelmed. Now, a few minutes later, the coconut and benzoin are doing their magic and making this incredibly delicious. I like that eventually, the intensity dies down but the notes stay true. Another one going on the "bottle list".

Hippie rating: 5 bongs :hippie:

oh goblin ilu so much...

sweet coconut that's not candy sweet except at first application. there's a deep vanilla-tobacco feel to it as well, which must be the patch though i would be shocked if there wasn't tobacco in this. it's like eating mounds bars in a tobacco shop.

damn this is gorgeous. win win win. and i don't even know where this imp showed up from lol. the bpal gods must like me today.

Wow... this smells SO much like Banshee Beat, it's crazy! If I'd known that earlier, I would have just bought a bottle of this to help me satiate my Banshee Beat cravings. It's not quite as creamy as BB and has a bit of an herbal edge to it, but it's really lovely all the same.

Ooh, I love me some coconut and benzoin, however patchouli and I dont always get along. Hopefully this is more coconut than patchouli.

Phooey-in the imp this is all patchouli and sweet benzoin. I don't even notice coconut :(

Ok, on my skin I get a bit more of the coconut note-however, this is still mostly patchouli-and its the kind of patchouli that sort of smells like pencil shavings on my skin :( Argh, it's too bad, because I do enjoy the coconut note. The pencil shavings-y smell goes away as this settles, but it is still mostly a sweet patchouli smell. The further away I am from my hand, the more it smells coconutty, the closer I am to my hand, the more it smells like patchouli.

Unfortunately, this was too patchouli heavy for me. On absolute full drydown it actually ends up being more coconutty, but it takes a while to get to that point. Also dries down rather powdery. Not for me!

I am disappointed in this one. Usually I like patchouli, but the patchouli in this one *does* smell like sawdust and pencil shavings to me. Bummer.

The coconut is very dry, like coconut husks.

Oh well.

In the imp this smells like some coconut cocktail.

Like the sort of coconut cocktail one would drink in a dirty brothel, somewhere in and underground world.

On me it smells like something that has never seen the light of day.

The coconut is dry and the patchouli is even drier...

It's manly, like a dirty black pirate.

After some time the benzoin starts to creep from behind the heady coconut.

This is actually very good.

It's dirty, woodsy, tropical and totally sexy.

It's like a book about adventure, a big dusty book, that tells you stories of pirates, and tropical countries.

An unexpected win.

I received this one as a frimp from the lab.

in the imp: patchouli and coconut - smells a little dirty

on wet: lots of patchouli - less coconut

drying down: not getting a lot of coconut - it is mostly incensy patchouli but in a dry dusty way - I prefer goblin when it's wet so may be better in a scent locket.

overall: does it smell like a goblin? Well it smells like a goblin's abode. If said goblin lives in a dry dusty rather dirty cave with a pile of old wood in the corner. But on me it is a little too dry, old wood - just doesn't sit right on me and, although i rarely do this, I washed this off after about an hour and replaced it with Mme Moriarty. I'll keep the imp for fun and may try it again but if I'm looking for a dry dusty coconut I prefer Brown Jenkins.

ETA I haven't got into swapping yet and it's probably a good thing. I recently developed an interest in patchouli and decided to retry all of my unloved imps containing patchouli. Apparently aging makes a big difference because my goblin imp has mellowed beautifully. The nasty woodiness has gone and it's all sweet, coconut, nice wood now :)

Edited by Pyewacket

In the Vial: Mmm, sweet patchouli. I'm not getting any actual coconut scent, but there is a fresh yet husky feel to this that I'm guessing is the black coconut.

Wet: Gets warmer, darker, and quite smoky. The benzoin is fading, allowing the patchouli to come out more. I keep thinking I might sort of smell coconut, but I'm not sure.

Dry: This seems to change with each sniff. It's nice, sweet patchouli again. But then it starts to edge towards what I call the old-man-sweat smell. But then it goes sweet again. And then it goes weird again. I'm also getting some very faint fruitiness - still no coconut.

An Hour Later: Yummy vanilla sweetness with smoky patchouli behind it. Still no coconut!

Overall: It ended up nice enough to warrant a second testing; I tend to have better luck avoiding that funky sweat smell when the oil's on my neck instead of my hand or wrist. I really wish I'd gotten at least some coconut out of this, though!

In the imp: A nice blend of patchouli, coconut, and vanilla. The patchouli is a little strong, but it's mellowed nicely by the sweetness.

wet: same as above but slightly woodier

dry: this smells like an autumn campfire with a touch of sweetness & spice. LOVE!

It's bottle worthy. I can see this being my go-to scent for fall/winter.

I love patchouli, but I have a gold standard with it. Years ago I had a sample vial of single-note patchouli. I wish I could remember what brand. It was perfect: smooth, heady, beautiful. A tiny dab went a long way. When I could no longer get even a tiny smear of oil out of the vial, I was so sad. And I've never found a patchouli that quite lived up to it.

So, Goblin.

Goblin goes on smelling like when you open a fresh bag of damp wood mulch and start spreading it around. It's all up in my nose kicking and punching and making me want to sneeze. Then it settles down a bit and a nutty smell starts coming out. I know it's black coconut, but I swear it's just like hazelnuts, the kind you get in the shell and crack for yourself. This blends nicely with the wood smell. As it dries down it gets sweeter and creamier, probably the benzoin tying it all together. Every now and then it almost becomes coconut tanning lotion, but then it goes all nutty and creamy again. Like it knows I won't stand for Coppertone but it wants to tease me with that sly hint.

It's all very entertaining, but.... *Ben Kenobi voice* "This is not the patchouli you're looking for."

HOWEVER. After it's been on for several hours, and the woody-nutty stuff dies away, it transforms into the perfect patchouli! Deep and smooth and beautiful. I have high hopes for it, after it has aged a bit. Even goblins mellow out with age.

Apparently, neither patchouli nor benzoin are even tolerable on my skin. This smelled rich and spicy in the imp, but as soon as I applied it, it turned to cinnamon vomit. :ack: Goblin nearly made me physically ill. I wish my skin could tolerate patchouli so I could appreciate the scents that feature it, but I think it's a lost cause. :(

Firstly, patchouli and I are not friends. This was a frimp from the lab and having read the other reviews I was a little worried about the patchouli here.

Opening the imp - whoa PATCHOULI. Still, I perservered and put some on. It was all patchouli for the first hour or so then I smelled something akin to a banana split, guessing it's the coconut and at this point had to wash it off. Probably didn't help that had food poisoning a few days previous and strong scents are still making me feel queasy but nonetheless, patchouli and I don't mix.

Patchouli lovers would probably like this as it's patchouli and then some. Not for me.

My car was called Goblin and he was made of love and beauty and sunbeams. So I bought this, but it is nothing like him.

I love the coconut, but I have now finally identified that Patchouli and me will never be friends - I shall avoid all blends that has it from now on - sad that, loved the name.

I can imagine for someone who Likes Patchouli, that this would be awesome though, cause it is a soft, smooth nice smell - just, it doesn't fit me at all.

This scent smells really sweet and promising in the bottle. unfortunately on my skin it dries down dirty sweet mud note. Certainly the way you imagine a goblin to smell like, but not me at all. Maybe it would be fun as room scent or in the bath

I have really, really been looking forward to this and I don't know why. I don't really have any Feelings about coconut or patchouli, but this seemed like something I would like, so here goes.

In the imp: This really reminds me of something and I'm not sure what. I think I've eaten something before that reminds me of this.

On me, wet: Holy patchouli, Batman. The coconut mixed a lot better in the imp. It kind of just smells like being out in the woods, which is really nice, and that particular scent is captured perfectly, but I was hoping for the coconut to do something more interesting.

On me, dry: Oh, the coconut came back out! I thought the patchouli was going to dominate this the whole time, but it didn't. I don't think it's the kind of thing I'd normally wear, but it's a very quirky oil that really does put me in mind of a tricky, earthy little spirit that might steal your socks or hide your hairbrush. Truth be told, it sort of makes me think of/feel like a Miyazaki being, like a Totoro or kodama or susuwatari. I'm not sure I need a bottle, but I'll get a lot of use out of the imp. :D

Edited by karykeion

When it was young, my Goblin imp was coconut and patchouli, with the patch dominating a bit, and the coconut not being very creamy-coconut, but more of a coconut husk... dry and disappearing quickly, leaving patchouli to romp around on my skin. It was.. okay.

My Goblin has aged now.. it is, I think at least 6 months old in the imp, having been opened multiple times, it has changed... oh momma.. has it ever. Where it was a hit of strong patchouli before, now I get a softer snuffier... cuddlier.. patchouli.. and then? something magical happens... I get hit with a creamy coconut, supported by the benzoin's vanilla-like scent and it's as if the three notes equally joined together and were doing a little happy-happy-joy-joy circle dance on my skin. It's simply amazing and I want to rip my skin off and cuddle up in it :P