Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

Goblin

Dab a bit behind each ear, and you'll be instantly inspired to alter street signs, shake fruit from your neighbor's trees, and hide your roommate's car keys. Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

In the imp: Patchouli! That's cool, though. I dig patchouli. The fiancé digs patchouli.

The coconut isn't a foody coconut to me, but rather smells more like a dried coconut husk, if that makes any sense. The three listed notes, Patchouli, Coconut, and Benzoin, work in mischievious tandem, and make me think and feel of the beach, which is a nice thing to think and feel in upstate New York on this cold and rainy May. I'm a Jersey Girl, and do so miss the beach. It's probably the coconut more specifically that makes me think beach, because of sunscreen, but the whole damn blend just gives me the visceral impression of having been at the beach all day and then reaching the point at which one packs up to go home again. Wet and dry, this pretty much smells the same on my skin, and the way it smells is lovely and nostalgic and makes me crave the ocean. Edited by GingerGunlock

In the vial: Benzoin at the front, with coconut and patchouli right behind it.

On me: WOW. Gorgeous creamy, almost vanilla-y coconut beautifully grounded by the patchouli.

For those worried about getting hippie BO from patchouli: I don't think this blend will do it to you. In this, sweetness and earthyness are in perfect balance. It has all the goodness of coconut without being too foody for me (and I am VERY picky about not wanting to smell too foody), and yet smells like patchouli WITHOUT being overt about it (which is quite rare for me, since I amp patchouli. While I am not worried about it since I like the scent, it's nice that it stays a bit more in the background this time, though).

This blend seems both sensual and innocent. Lovely!

Big bottle! :P

Goblin! My patchouli love.

In the imp: Patchouli! Softened by the coconut (yum!) and a sweetness which I can only suppose is benzoin. This is a brown scent with just a hint of green, that brings to mind the thought of a little brown, furry forest man giving me a very rude gesture.

Wet: On me, the coconut and benzoin fade a bit, and the patchouli takes on the smell of Ye Olde Pencil Shavings. I don't mind though. They're wonderful, coconut pencil shavings. It's still got the image of the little brown man there, in my mind, but now he's teaching a class... and giving them the same gesture he gave me earlier.

Dry: Even more pencil-shaving-y. But I don't mind! I like!

All in all, I love this patchouli blend. All three notes are wonderful ones, in my opinion. It's not a scent I need to slather on every day, but I do enjoy wearing it occasionally. No clue if I'm going to spring for a bottle of this eventually or not.

But it's definitely a...

4.3 out of 5 little rude forest men.

This blend is surprisingly good! The coconut base is lovely, but then there's the benzoin, zesty and sharp, and a bit of earthiness from the patchouli (which is actually behaving itself). Nice! It smells fresh and sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

Frimp from the lab with my 13 (June 08) order :P

This starts off rather spicy, but not so offensively so that I wanted to wash it off. After a bit, it smoothed out into a coconutty-creamy-resiny sort of smell. It's very earthy-sweet, not foody-sweet, and I can still catch the woodsy smell of the patchouli. I give it props for smelling less horrendous than the coconut in Tarot: The Star. This one I could stand for a little while, whereas The Star made me feel like emptying my stomach (long story, but basically the smell of really fake/"tropical" coconut reminds me enough of this one time when I got majorly sick after eating some coconut shrimp that I start to feel sick again...).

I'm beginning to think that I just can't wear coconut because of that one experience. Damn it! I remember liking coconut in perfume when done right >[

So, a lesson to all ye who have a favorite food that could be imitated scent-wise in the dimension of perfume: Do not eat said food when you're not sure of the state of your physical well-being! :D

Anyway, I'm afraid this little goblin won't be with me for long.

Wow. This was a weird blend on my skin! :P

In the imp: Sweet coconut! I get just a teeny bit of the patchouli in the background, making things interesting.

Wet: Still lots of coconut... this is nice! Maybe this is THE coconut blend I've been searching fo--- WHY HELLO THAR PATCHOULI! WERE YOU FEELING NEGLECTED??

Dry: I usually do okay with patch in a blend -- it tends to like me. But THIS patchouli does turn into a body-odorous funk, and then smells like I attempted to cover it up with super-sweet coconut.

Such a shame!

In the imp: Dry and very woody patchouli of the type that always smells like a cedar chest to me.

Wet on skin: Exactly as in the imp. This is a VERY woody patchouli.

Early dry down: This is morphing very, very little. It is almost all dry patchouli. I smell like the inside of cedar chest. I get very little coconut. If any is present it is a very dry and dark coconut that blends almost imperceptibly with the patchouli.

Late dry down: The coconut and benzoin eventually sweetened things, but neither appears as a stand-alone note on me. This ends up a sweet, yet dry patchouli. It's like a cedar chest with some kind of candy stored in it. But the candy is so old that it no longer has a distinct odor, just a sweetness.

This is nice, but not bottle worthy on me.

Goblin is downright *edible* when wet. The coconut is sweet and foody. As it dries the benzoin and patchouli take over, though, and they're not nearly as good. It turns into a sort of generic patchouli blend, quite masculine, on me. I may let this age some more and try it again in cooler weather.

This started off so unusual-smelling, in a good way. Then... I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the line patchouli and my skin stopped getting along. Lately everything I try with patchouli in it smells like Bag Balm. This is no different: Bag Balm single note. Which is great if you're a cow with a chapped udder, not so much if you're a human who wants to smell good. That's a shame, because I found this one really intriguing before it went south.

This is yummy. Wet sees a blast of oakmoss and patchouli, then as it warms the coconut comes out, it's gorgeously caramel-ish at this stage. I do believe there may be a teensy tiny dollop of leather in there, or maybe birch? Whatever it is, it's lovely and smooth, rounded and earthy. The coconut is nothing to be scared of, it just adds an interesting touch to all the yummy earthiness.

Edited by lilacea

I'm guessing it's the benzoin that is bad on me? Something is sharp and almost menthol, with a slightly woody tinge. I could smell the coconut when this was wet, but now its just.... odd. and bad. and odd.

In the imp: Vetiver and patchouli.

Wet on my skin: Black pepper and benzoin with whiffs of patchouli and maybe a background hint of something like tree sap.

Drydown: Smooth vanilla with dried coconut shreds and black pepper and hints of patchouli in the background.

FANTASTIC! I'ma have to beat 'em away with a stick! I will be buying a bottle!

In imp: The first sniff is fruity, then patchouli that smells like I spent hours in the local new age store.

Wet on skin: The fruity smell continues, which is I’m guessing the benzoin. There’s something almost clean-smelling about it, too, which is bizarre. The black coconut has come in to sweeten everything up just as the oil is about to dry on my skin. It’s not really screaming the feeling of a goblin to me, at least not yet. It’s too sweet to be a green-skinned little troublemaker!

Drydown: There’s something earthy underneath all that sweetness, which is mellowing out the benzoin and black coconut now. The patchouli is like none I’ve ever worn, and I really, really like it! There are playful sweet notes lying on top of something darker and mischievous underneath. This is the goblin trickster from the old faerie tales, not the role-playing game cannon fodder.

Overall: I’m still reminded of the new age shop down the street, but this is that pleasant whiff you get of it as you walk by, not the saturation of being in there too long. The coconut warms it up and plays with the benzoin to sweeten everything up to perfection. As for a 5ml…maybe.

In Vial: sharp wood and vegetables

Wet: wood and something sweet, that keeps getting sweeter.

Dry: This is harsh and bitter. Smells like dirt and woods.

YES!!!!! I have finally found my "Angel". Goblin is one of the blends that came up while searching for similarities to my favorite conventional perfume, Angel. Most people recommended XIUHTECUHTLI as a match for Angel but while I found it similar wet, it lost all resemblance once on the skin.

But now I have GOBLIN! ALL HAIL GOBLIN!!! Amazing thing is that it actually stays pretty much the same all through the dry down process. I like that a lot. The sweetness from the coconut and the benzoin do wonderful things to the patchoulie. On it's own I am disgusted by patchoulie. But this blend is just amazing. I shall be getting my hands on a big bottle of this!

This is in-your-face, screaming patchouli when wet. But give it about 5 minutes and the coconut and benzoin start to come out and sweeten it up. This is a wonderfully warm scent, with patchouli providing an earthy base, and the coconut sweetening it up while the benzoin adds a creamy tone. If you can get past the PATCHOULI!!!!! wet stage, it's very well worth it. YUM! :P

I admit, this one only caught my eye because of Rich Burlew's "Order of the Stick" comics. (I am a fan of Redcloak yes yes.) But I'm glad I ordered it, as apparently I like a lot of these notes.

Out of the imp, I get a lot of coconut, but it quickly settles down into the patchouli and the two balance very nicely when dry. Unfortunately I don't know what benzoin smells like (or even what it is :D ), but overall the scent reminds me of the outer shell of a coconut, that black slightly woody FUZZ that covers the whole thing. There's a little sweetness too... maybe the coconut in question has just been cracked open a smidge? I get no sunscreen from this whatsoever.

I use this when I want: to smell earthy-sweet. This could work as a masculine scent. Unfortunately my little imp has sprung a leak, thanks to a rather unfortunate accident involving a homemade "travel case..." guess I gotta order more! :P

sweet coconutty patchouli.... just like the description, lol. I'm just not a patchouli person... I'll try this on my friend. :P

Dark, dirty and slightly sweet with hints of the black coconut. I really dig this one! Smelled subtle but very enjoyable. Long lasting and just the right touch of un-foodie coconut. Paired really well with Bengal's honey and spice. Good one!

I knew this wouldn't work - as it contains two of my biggest scent no-nos (damn this collect 'em all mentality). In any case, it is a coconut and patchouli blend... which just smells like dirty coconut on me.

Yeah. :P

I really wanted this to work on me; I wanted to own it just for the name!

Sadly it didn't work. Patchouli (which never fails to make me feel sick) and wood.

Nevermind!

Ooofah! All I seem to get is pure patchouli.. no coconut whatsoever, with a very faint, incensey sweetness that I'm guessing is the benzoin. My skin amps patchouli like a fiend, and retains it for hoooooooours. Of course, the scents you dislike most, stay the longest. In small doses, I can handle it, but this is definitely not one for me.

I used just a drop because with a whole ton of coconut and patchouli, I suspected that it could be pretty strong. And it was! That one drop surrounded me with a cloud of scent. Wet it was toasted coconut with creamy edges and an earthy base underneath. After it dried down it was much the same, but the sweetness and throw of the coconut diminished and the earthy, smooth, soft patchouli came out more strongly. Despite how little I used this scent hung around for hours, and in class I had to come up with ways to subtly sniff my wrist. I really like it, but I think that my imp will last me a while because of how little I need to use. Heartily recommended to anyone who craves patchouli and enjoys coconut!