Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

Aeaea

A dark ocean breeze, electric with adrenaline, magic, and fear, clashing with the thick scent of poisoned berries and spiny aloe, against a backdrop of snowdrop, cedar, and cypress.

I was a little unsure of what this one would be like, since the description sounded like it might have the dreaded ozone note in it. But BPAL's berry notes are nearly always good on me, and cedar and cypress are usually pretty reliable nice as well, so it seemed like it might be worth a try.

And really, it's not bad at all. There is a touch of that perfumey ozone edge to it which I don't like overly much, but it's not that strong. The berries are definitely dominant, and they're definitely that unique sort of evil underworld berries that BPAL seems to specialize in. As with many of BPAL's best fruity scents, this is not some teenager's fruit scent, this is evil fruit that will steal your soul, and I mean that in the best way possible. :P

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have too much staying power. It's fading down already and it's been less than half an hour. The floral note from the snowdrops is also coming out a bit more, though it's not predominantly a floral scent by any means, and the damn ozone's a little more noticeable too now that the berries are fading.

So probably not a keeper, even though it's nicer than I thought it would be. It's not like I don't have a lot of evil berry scents already. :D

Grade: B-

Cool, soothing aloe is the main thing I pick out of this, with cypress and ozone sharpening and deepening the scent. It's still quite light, but that might also be because I'm trying too many different scents in a row and my nose is tired :P I like it, and it's a keeper, but not something I'm going to need to stock up on. An occasional wear for hot days. It's threatening to turn soapy as it dries, but the aloe is keeping it moist and sharp. Unisex, hedging on masculine, to my nose.

Most ozone-y aquatic scents go straight to dryer sheets on me, but not Aeaea. It's a nice, wet blend that smells cool and comforting and slightly electric. I really like it. I don't need a bottle, but I will definitely enjoy my decant.

Dark? Fear? This isn't a fear scent, this is a happy beach vacation! It's very aquatic, which I usually don't like much but this is a warm aquatic. I don't get much in the way of berries--by which I mean to say that I get no berries at all. None. It's just warm tropical water and some blooms on the shore. The aloe and cedar give it a nifty wet sharpness.

The bottle label has a marvelous picture of a golden sand beach, turquoise ocean, a palm tree, and a cheerful-looking pink pig. That's where I go when I smell this. I want to go there often. The pig likes me.

Lobster Rating

better than: pork chops

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

In the bottle:

Aquatic. Well blended, very hard for my poor nose to pick out the individual scents. Light and summery.

Wet on skin:

Aloe? Still just a very summery aquatic scent.

Dry on skin:

Feminine, light, summery. Still very aquatic. No fear or poison. Maybe SLIGHTLY cypress-y. A little sweet, maybe that is the berries.

I'm not really big into aquatics or feminine scents, but wow. This is nice.

*edit* I can still smell this on my hand after taking a shower.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Ooh...I knew this was gonna be love...and it is...though not as much as I'd hoped.

Wet it smells electric, a bit tangy like the ocean, salty, lightly floral. I begin to notice that it smells very much like 51 to me.

Dry it smells salty, ozone, aquatic...a mix between Sea of Glass and 51...still the floral hint and almost salty driftwood.

It's a beautiful blend...but to me it is very, very similar to 51, and 51 is much easier to get a hold of than a LE. I also like 51 just a little bit more than this.

4/5 because it is really pretty and nicely blended, but it's too similar. A good summer scent, and I will use up my decant!

In the bottle: seagrass and berries

Wet: woodsy and just a hint of sweet greenflowers

Dry: dry balmy cedar for a nice sharp edge bathed in creamy aloe

What a surprise!! I don't get anything dark and electric!! So much for descriptions! This is cool and smooth. Watery, salty and clean. A wonderful blue sea scent with soft florals...nice touch of berry, and of course, I would love it--it's a limited edition, LOL!!! Luckily I have an "heir" bottle coming to me, now I need a "spare"! :P :D :D

Ok, the funny thing about finding myself in the posession of a bottle of Aeaea is that it was among the first bottles I ever ordered from the lab. At the time, to my untrained nose I was like, "EEww! Ack! Bwahh!" and I swapped it right away. Now that I have another chance, however, I'm re-evaluating my position. Here's what it reminds me of: elementary school. Pencil shavings. Hand soap. Inexpensive perfume. Smelly stickers. Where's that dill coming from?!? This is not a bad smell on me, but not a smell I'm looking to recreate. So I'll keep it because I'm a hoarding scent whore, but I'll not be wearing it anytime soon. The end. :P

This smells like soft ozone. Don't think I've ever smelled soft ozone before. It does smell dark, but instead of that metallic sort of twanginess I usually get from ozone, this smells sweet and ... dry? Weird, right? But yeah, a little dry.

It was kind of ew when I first put it on, but after about 10 minutes or so it developed into a surprisingly pleasant oceany scent. I really like the sweet notes with it.

My husband (who generally likes aquatic scents) says he likes this one on me.

I found it to be, unsurprisingly, tangy, aquatic, and quite masculine. Eep! Sorry, guess it's got to be a bit more acidic to work with my pH. I tried to make the guy wear it, but he did a little head-hidey thing. So it's off to swapsville!

Aeaea is a funky fresh grape scent. It's not OH MY GRAPE SCENT OF HAPPINESS!!! rather a ......... huh I smell like grapes kinda deal. I think Blood Phoenix was a more interesting grape, cause grape on it's own is just a weird component, it needs other things to make it be perfect. It's main downfall is it doesn't last long enough to make it worth it.

Imp: "O HAI. I'M 'AQUATIC' AND THIS IS MY BUDDY, 'CEDAR.' WE'RE GONNA MAKE YER ARM SMELL LIKE CLEANING PRODUCT KTHX"

Wet: Oh it's not all that at all. There's berry in here! And no wood chips! It's actually promising, so far.

Drydown: Holy crap this is awesome! Aloe and ozone are two notes I'm going to have to search out with a vengeance.

Overall: It's so pretty! I was really nervous on the impsniff, but on the skin it really mellows out in to a berry-aquatic-greenery blend that's super wearable.

Imp: Very strong; a touch masculine; definitely smells aquatic...

Wet: aquatic and soapy...

Drydown: not a keeper; I don't like aquatic soap smells...

From the description, I figured this would be an ozone scent, which don’t typically work on me. But after reading reviews, it sounded like something I should at least try. I was right - I like it. The ozone is surprisingly toned down and the charming snowdrop note is most prominent. I don’t think I’ve smelled snowdrop before but it’s pretty – a light, crisp floral - very “girly perfume.” I don’t smell the cypress or cedar (which I was looking forward to) or the berries. Just sweet little flowers drifting on a gentle, cooling breeze.

Edited by tinyvulture

Bottle: I get electric or ozone and the breeze

Wet on Me: snow, crispy dry ozone, the snowdrop the cedar and cypress the barest trace of the berries. Crisp and clean and yes….electric. That sharp before a fierce thunderstorm

Drying Down: less ozone and electric and more aloe and cedar and cypress with the hints of berries. Still smells a bit like just before a storm

Dry: this dried down just lovely. Still smells of electric in the air. The ocean breeze without the salt. And yes…I do smell magic in this. Glad I tracked down a bottle. This is WIN!

This scared me initially because in the imp and freshly applied to my skin, no good was coming of it. I initially got something nutty/seedy--never a good sign for me--that was overwhelmed by wood and water scents. I thought I'd made a major mistake in putting this on and my nose was seriously angry with me.

After about 5 minutes to mellow, this turned on me. This became soft, sweet, feminine, and a happy/summery smell. A few more sniffs and I realized it reminded me of my mother. On my skin, at least, this morphs in to the spiritual sister of 273. I wish it had a longer throw because it was gone from me in less than 45 minutes.

If my mom is good, I might go through the trouble of finding her a bottle of this, but she's not getting my imp.

I found an imp of this in the ol' imp box the other day, and I'm glad I did!

On the skin, I get cypress and snow, not much in the way of berries. Its also got an ozone type smell to it. I'm liking this. This goes in my box, not the swap pile.

Happily, the cedar is not prominent in this blend... unfortunately, it ends up being a generic floral. Nice, but not overwhelmingly wonderful.

Bye bye.

Bottle: Heavy perfume like my grandma, only with with weird acrid scent reminiscent of the very plastic, artificially scented 'nail polish' I once received with the purchase of a toy makeup set or a Barbie doll or something.

Wet: Ozone, floral. A little warmth overlaying the floral.

Drydown: Florals with aquatic with weird acid edge.

Dry: Floral with slight aquatic/ozone. Lovely skin-close scent, but takes too long to get there and I don't like the prior stages all that much.

My rating: 1/5

At first, Aeaea is all wood, but it quickly dries down to a soft aquatic. Not my usual type of scent, but I like it. It's quiet and serene.

So sad, this is masculine dryer sheets on me. That almost never happens with acquatics for me, but this one just doesn't work...

Yay, ozone. :/

Okay, that was a snappy start. I'll work on giving this an actual review now.

Wet, it starts out -very- ozone, the same kind of notes that thrashed Windy Moon and other scents with 'wind' or 'storm' in them. The cedar comes out next, followed by a hint of berry and some very -wet- aloe. There is a definite electric aspect to this scent, which is strange for me because it's also quite sweet. If it were furry, this is what I might expect Pikachu to smell like--zappy and yet peculiarly adorable. (Sorry, but that's kind of where my brain is going, considering the cute pig and palm label.)

Most of the notes slip away or blend as it fully dries, leaving me with mostly a sweetish aloe and wet, ozonic scent with just a slight woody undertone.

It's definitely a weirdings sort of scent, almost tingly in the nose, though not in an effervescent way. Like something mystical is happening on my wrists. I'm not sure if I actually like it or not, but it's certainly interesting. My main question ends up being: When on earth would I actually feel like wearing this?!

At late-stage drydown, it's become a light, faintly floral scent without a lot of distinction. There's still a bit of aloe, but the woods have faded out.

Lasts a pretty short while, doesn't throw too far. Now excuse me, I'm going to go wear The Emathides again for a while. :x

A storm is blowing in over the ocean, carried on salt sea air. There's a distant ozonic note that heralds the storm. Standing amidst cedar and cypress grown on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. Their scent is partially whipped away by the breeze, but it remains a soft backdrop. Snowdrops, soft and floral and fresh, bloom along the trail and the cliff face, their scent softening the edge of the oncoming storm.

I get very little in the way of berries or aloe from this. Perhaps the aloe is adding to the aquatic element of the scent, but the berries just aren't showing up.

Overall, I love this! It's very evocative of being near the ocean and a type of weather I love, and snowdrops are an excellent note for me.