Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Libra 2007

Cardinal air: the essence of balance.
Rose, black cherry, carnation, fig, honey, plum, and black currant.

Hey, a blend with cherry in it that isn't cough-syrup on me! huzzah. And the current didn't go musty :P For once, i'm actually getting a lot of the fruity notes in there and having them completely taken over by the rose. It's a strong rose for sure, but the spicyness of the carnation makes it SO MUCH different than, say, Hope. I get a lot of the sweet fruits along with the carnation and the result is something that i wouldn't describe as a "floral" scent despite the rose. Unless your chemistry amps rose, i'd recommend it for the spicy/sweet fruit lovers!

Started out black cherry, but then it went immediately plasticky and the rose and carnation amped and then it went a mix of ash and plastic with spicy floral. Damn you skin chemistry!!!!

In bottle: Wow, I had no idea I liked cherry so much! It smells amazingly edible!

Wet on skin: Yup! Delicious cherry with a wee little bit of rose.

Dry on skin: ...Wait, where'd the cherry go? WHERE DID EVERYTHING GO? all I can smell is plastic! Slightly burnt plastic! My inner Darth Vader is screaming NOOOOOOO! Melodramaticaly.

I'm going to try this again in a couple of days, and if it doesn't work out...I'll get a scent locket for my birthday. :P

In the bottle: Rose and dark red fruits.

Wet: First on, the black cherry blossoms. It blends seamlessly with the rose. A bit of spicy kick reminds me that carnation is present as well, and the honey lends a light sweetness that counters the heavier notes. I momentarily get a whiff of fig, but it disappears in a flash (which makes me sad, since I'm obsessed with the Lab's fig note). In the wet stage, this blend makes me think "RED".

Dry: Libra settles down to a lovely, gentle rose/carnation/dark-red-fruit blend. Yuuuuummy.

In the bottle and wet, it's predominantly cherry; when it dries, Libra turns into a deep, seductive, plummy fruit scent with rose, carnation, and a touch of honey. As it was drying I got a brief plasticky note that had me worried but it disappeared quickly leaving nothing but goodness. Boy, does this ever make me feel decadent - and glad to be a Libra. :P

I am not a huge rose fan as I tend to amp it like mad but this is one of my top 2 bpal rose blends. (other being persehpone).

Started as all rose, all the time, during drydown I got the slightest touch of carnation spice in there, before finally drying down to a lovely fruity rose blend. Nice!

Spicy roses/carnations, sweet dark juicy cherries, rich gorgeous fig and a soft breath of honey blend beautifully together here. (Honey and I have a tumultuos relationship. Often we don't get along, but this honey is rocking my world with her soft gentle smoothness). Oh how I love this scent. It's unlike anything else I've smelled and very different from my usual selections from BPAL but for some reason it totally works for me. Maybe it's because balance is one of my life quests...I'm always seeking it and trying to understand it.

This has great throw on me for about 6 hours and then BAM it's completely gone.

Edited by Kimocean

In the bottle:

Vaguely sweet, but I can't place it.

Wet:

Uh oh. Why does it smell like something's burning? This isn't what the description said it would smell like! Have I finally found a blend that my skin chemistry totally destroys? As it dries down, it smells like rose and... hmmm, not sure. It has a weird undertone, though, but I am waiting it out. Now it's going through a weird soapy-rose stage, with something "off" underneath it.

Dry:

By some miracle, this actually dried down to smell pretty nice. Good thing I gave it a chance. It's a pretty, slightly fruity rose, which is somehow also a bit creamy.

straight sniff from imp is a super, sticky sweet cherry carnation...

once applied the honey and rose notes amplify intensely...

after some time the carnation and rose blend together with a slight fruitiness...

strong sillage and quite a morpher ... very well done!

In the bottle, Libra is ROSE ROSE ROSE. It stays that way initially on my skin too. This is a high floral rose with that slightly sour edge. It reminds me somewhat of Marie or Wilhelmina Murray.

As the scent dries, the rose is still in the forefront, but there's a lovely deep fruitiness coming out behind it. The fruits are well-blended so it's hard to pick out individual notes, but I'm pretty sure I can pick out the nummy plum. The carnation, however, remains non-detectable. This is wonderful.

Verdict: A very floral rose with a background of red/purple fruits. Sophisticated and beautiful.

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: This was the first Zodiac blend I ever bought. I've never been drawn to them as a rule, and my Virgo didn't have any notes that attracted me at all. But Libra sounded like it might be beautiful if the rose doesn't go green-stem skanky on me.

In the Bottle: A blast of cherry cough-drop with a few whiffs of rose and carnation.

Wet: Extremely black currant and cherry. I don't remember off-hand, but this is what I would think of for Mad Tea Party's Queen of Hearts.

Drydown: And damn...now the rose is coming out but is all green-stem and very little rose. I am fighting to try and get any of the other notes right now.

Verdict: This will go to someone whose skin chemistry is more compatible than mine.

I normally love all of the notes in Libra, so I'm not sure why this isn't awesome on me. In the vial and at first on my skin this is a sharp, heavy rose (almost sour, but not unpleasant to me) and thick cherry cough syrup. After 15 minutes or so the medicinal twist wears off and I'm hit with a strangely tart, sharp something that smells just like lemonhead candies on me. The rose stays dominant and reminds me a bit of the bold, spicy sort of rose that is in Whip, but then the whole blend just goes to a sharp soap after about a half hour. I can pick out the heavy rose, an awful cherry note, and something that smells lemony before I'm left with nothing but heavy rose soap. :P

~**~ LIBRA ~**~

In the bottle: I had just finished testing Bloody Mary and it's yucky cough syrup taste. I smelled the bottle of Libra and go overpowering rose and thick nasty cherry cough syrup!

Wet: Yep! Cherry cough syryp and roses - but I think they are plastic!

Dry down: PLASTIC roses.... that is all. My hubby sniffed it and said ,"OLD LADY" I have yet to meet a rose note that likes my skin and plays nice. It just isn't me ant to be!!!

Conclusion:As this completely dried, I was praying that the honey, black currant, carnation, plum and fig would take over the roses and the cherry and make this salvageable. Each time I sniffed, I could *almost* smell the dark fruity notes of the plum and currant but they never made thier prescence known. The whole scent was PLASTIC rose smell. This has GREAT throw and LONG wear but for me that was agony!! Libra is probably going to be in my next swap pile!

Libra 2007 - Holy smokes! I just read the scent description and blown away because there are so many fruits and florals in this, and that's completely not what I smelled when I tried this on! I'm going to have to go test this again now that I know the scent description. Okay, I've got it applied to my skin again and hmm... same as before. I only smell the slightest bit of rose and really, the only thing I smell beyond that is a hint of powdery honey. It almost smells like there is white musk and/or skin musk in this blend. It's incredibly subtle on my skin and I'm surprised that the carnation doesn't show up on me, as it's usually a nice, spicy floral, and I'm surprised the black currant isn't evident, since it usually shows up as a hideous cat pee scent on my skin. Quite a strange one that apparently isn't meant to work for someone with my skin chemistry. It also disappears on me quite quickly -- pretty much as soon as the oil dries down, it turns into a lightly powdery almost-nothing.

at first the rose in this blend is quite sour, once it mellows out some, i mostly smell rose and plum with maybe a little black cherry? i was personally hoping for more carnation, but i can barely sense it. this is nice, but the fruits turn a bit plasticky on me, making it a bit underwhelming, so i think i'll swap it.

Edited by theseagrows

Rose (not particularly heavy on me) with a definite topnote of carnation and something behind it which stops it from being entirely floral (could be honey or sweet fruits or both - I can't honestly tell).

Something about it really does suggest "air".

This is mostly rose on me, but it's not just rose. I don't really smell much of the cherry or currant, but I can tell there's some carnation in there. Carnation and plum is always a good combination, I think, and I like it in this. Hmmm, fig and honey? Can't really smell them. Maybe a wee bit of honey.

I'm quite picky about rose scents, but I like this one. It's not an old-fashioned rose scent. It smells fresh and sweet.

How sad :P I had such high hopes of my birth sign oil, but it is just too sweet rose and currant on me. I don't get any of the figs or honey or plum, just currants and a similar rose to that found in Lady Luck Blues.

Libra is almost teeth-achingly sweet, and it really lasts, but doen't have too much throw.

I'll be sad to let this go, but I know I won't wear it as I've hardly worn Lady Luck Blues.

I'm not a Libra but i couldnt resist the yummy notes. Rose, black cherry, blackcurrant, figs, carnation, honey and plum??? OMG i'm so there....BUT...BUT....

Wet: SWEET roses and carnation with hint of almondy- cherry scent. Too floral and not the kind of florals I gravates to. I like my roses dark and juicy. I dont get this vibe here. :P

Dry: ACK, libra doesnt love me back. I still get no black currant, honey, plum, nor the fig. JUSt amped up soapy/old lady MUSKY rose....I'm having sore throat today and smelling libra doesnt help. Someone give me a mint!

Verdict: It got too sweet and TOO rosey(plastic fake rose scent) and too much carnations...THAT's all i got...No honey, no black cherry, and no plum, and lastly where's the fig?! I have better luck with Knife of the Hearts(roses and blackcurrant tarts which smelled sooo pretty and none of that musky/soapy roses i hate).

:-(

This is all rose which given that rose is rather icky on me is not exactly a good thing. This is drying down into a very sharp, almost salty floral on my skin. It’s quite a bit icky. I ended up having to wash this one off.

Rating: 1/5

I'm loving this so far, which is peculiar since I'm an Aries, and actually *hated* my sign blend...

In Bottle/Wet: Fruity punch, with a touch of something underneath that I can't quite describe...

On Skin: Immediately it's still fruit punch, although the cherry is starting to dominate. There's a bit of a herbal/floral note underneath, right after you smell the fruits; I'm thinking this is a mixture of the rose/carnation along with the earthiness of fig

Drydown: Interstingly, once dry the fruits, even the cherry are mostly gone and this is a rose dominated scent. I love BPAL's rose (when prior to BPAL I HATED rose in perfumes) which is good because it seems to amp likeWHOA. Overall I get a dry rose scent, with bits of creaminess from the fig and nothing from any of the fruits. Not quite what I thought or hoped it would turn out, but pretty nonetheless.

Libra

In the bottle: like Lady Luck Blues, but with added cherry. Honeyed rose with black fruit.

Wet on skin: now I smell almond-like notes from the cherry, and geranium? Where's that coming from?

Dry on skin: now more of the fruits come out in full-I smell sweet plum, black cherry, tangy currant and fig. I also get something vaguely lemony-I have no idea why-and also rose geranium, along with regular rose and honey and spicy carnation. In fact, all the notes are present (along with a few which aren’t listed) and are very nicely balanced. This smells gorgeous, very feminine, luxurious and rich.

After a while: now I smell more of the plum and honey, warmed by carnation, along with currant, the rose (and geranium?) and at this point, it really does smell like Lady Luck Blues meets Rose Moon but with more fruit. It also reminds me of the currant and roses of Knave of Hearts but without the ultra-gourmand notes. It's surprisingly herbal-lemony, almost soothing, like honeyed herbal rose petal tea.

Then the scent becomes a lot more even, the notes merging and the scent of honeyed rose becoming more apparent, backed by the plum and currant. I also smell something airy and powdery to this, almost like violet or orris or sandalwood, even though they aren't listed. The honey is gentler than in Lady Luck but a little stronger than in Rose Moon. I still get that hint of geranium.

The airy scent becomes a little green/herbal, almost like palmarosa more than geranium now, but still the honeyed rose and fruits remain. It's not a sticky heavy fruity honey scent though-this is light and the notes have merged even more nicely. The plum comes out a little more on drydown.

Verdict: I have my moon in Libra, so I'm very glad that I like this scent. It reminds me of other scents in the honey-rose genre, like Rose Moon, Jezebel, and Lady Luck Blues, only this one is fruitier, and also has an unexpected herbal aspect as well. at first there's a load of cherry but this backs down to reveal a luxurious blend of flowers and fruit, which seems very womanly, voluptuous, a true Venus scent. There's a hint of something like geranium to it, and the notes are very nicely blended and nothing stands out too much. The scent changes very slightly into a fruity stage, then goes back to honeyed rose and then it develops a herbal airiness, which is very pretty-not as rich and fruity as before, but lighter and smoother, maybe even a little more herbal. This is really good-I love honey and rose scents, I do prefer Rose Moon and Lady Luck but this one is very nice indeed and it works a lot better than many of the other zodiac scents have done so far. Definitely a keeper.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I'm keeping my bottle.

If you like this, try: Lady Luck Blues, Rose Moon, Bordello, Alice, Knave of Hearts, Jezebel

at first: i mostly get rose and carnation out of the bottle.

on: lovely. this is a dark blend of floral notes and fruit. i can mostly pick out the cherry, fig, and carnation. lovely.

1 hour later: a pretty, warm floral with a bit of fruit.

5 hours later: a light, powdery scent.

overall: i had high hopes for this, but it fades pretty quickly on me.

LIBRA 2007

Wet: In the bottle I smell a hint of rose, something candy-like, and lots of cherry. This isn't your average cherry. This is thick, juicy, tangy cherry.

Dry: This completely morphs on my skin. It smells nothing like it does when wet. I smell rose and honey, and possibly a touch of fig and carnation. The plum in this gives it a regal, almost perfumey cast and for of that part alone it reminds me of The Queen's Salon and Queen of Spades.

I don't like the way my skin chemistry messes with this scent, but I adore how it smells while wet. I plan to keep mine for use in a scent locket. Also? It makes a divine room scent that smells like rose, plum, and honey! Try it. :P