Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
requieminblack

Hunter Moon 2007

… Dry leaves, autumn bonfires, blood red wine, feral, animalistic notes and the chill of approaching winter.

This is all crunchy leaves and the sweet smoke from burning wood, just a hint of cool wind in the forest winding through the trees. There is a touch of fur, soft, warm, fuzzy, and perhaps just a tad dangerous. So glad I swapped for this bottle!

Wet, a fresh, outdoorsy musk. It's almost like there's a bit citrus here. Dry, a sensuous darker musk, kind of smells like black musk to me, but maybe it's the leaves? If this is what dry leaves smell like, I need to try more blends with the dry leaf note. I love this, it kind of reminds me a bit of Panther Moon and Schwarzer Mond. Thanks to the forumite who frimped me this, I love surprises!!

I was very surprised when my girlfriend was talking with me and suddenly exclaimed that someone was selling a bunch of limited edition bottles for cheap and would you like Hunter Moon I am getting you Hunter Moon okay?! So thanks very much to Rackham's Vanity for the sale and Lyssa for the keen eyes and thinking of me :D

In the vial: Delicious grape and pear mulled wine.

Freshly applied: Spicy musk, and an explosion of dry leaves and smoke o_O There's a bit of the fruit in the background, but these other scents were toootally not in the vial to me.

Drying: Burnt dried leaves (ever burn a fallen leaf with a magnifying glass as a kid for the aroma? It reminds me of this) and a very thick wine. I swear, I just read the description, sniffed my arm again, and my nose was like YES, APPROACHING WINTER. It just made sense (how does she do that?). The smoke is mellowing slightly, becoming less like burnt leaves and more like a spicy incense with crisp red leaves and a very thick, fruity wine. I visited my friends who were still awake, and one commented after coming back inside the house from dealing with laundry that she could smell I was wearing something as soon as she walked in the door, and later that the smell stayed in the air for a bit after I left. Quite some throw and staying power, though I did apply more than I normally do when testing imps (coffee stirrers are not precise applicators, I hope to get some wand caps in an order soonish).

Later: The scent mellows out after a few hours into a swirling mix, now and then smelling more of dry leaves and more of an incense-like smoke, now and then smelling like faint wine, all the while keeping a touch of a warm musk overtone.

13.5! hours later: Waking up the next morning after applying, the scent is still around me but a much more calm version of it. A musky, autumn scent. The leaves are there, but far away. The smoke from the bonfires has gone out, the bottles of wine are empty, but you can still smell the traces of their former contents.

Very, VERY good. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the lunar blends that come out (what have all of you done to me?) and watch for another Hunter Moon or others in a similar vein.

Edited by maoric

Oddly the only note I am getting is the feral animalistic notes. This really smells very hunter-y! But likewise, where the heck are the other notes hiding? Weird. It's a soft, approachable animalistic tho. I like it!

Aged 6 years, Hunter Moon 2007 is a lovely, radiant, sweet musk. The musk doesn't really resemble the common BPAL red musk or black musk notes; I think of it as a dark pink musk, and that colour association is so strong that I'm always surprised when I put it on and see that the oil is clear. The scent reminds me of that powdery pink musk candy, except somehow sexy instead of gross (I hate those candies, but Hunter Moon is fantastic). It's just the slightest bit animalistic--furry, not civety. I get no wine or bonfires, but there is a suggestion of dry dead leaves. I think it used to be a little "wilder" when it was fresh, but now it's all pink creamy sweetness.

This doesn't evoke hunters and woods to me; it's much sweeter and more innocent. The image I get is of a teenage girl in a pink dress, wearing some sweet, girly perfume and playing with a wolf pup in a clearing full of fallen leaves.

Hunter Moon is great, and it's like virtually nothing else in BPAL's catalogue. I'll never understand why it isn't a lot more popular. I hope it comes back someday so I can get a fresh bottle.

I was reading the previous review when I realized that I've never reviewed this myself, so here goes:

I rarely order lunacies, but when Hunter Moon 2007 was released the description just called out to me and I took a chance on a bottle. I loved it from the start, enough that bought a backup bottle in fact. As it's aged, I continue to love it, and it has stayed very true to when it was fresh.

What drew me to ordering it was the description of dry leaves and bonfire smoke, but i've never felt that this was an autumnal scent because I don't pick up either the leaves or the smoke. This has nothing in it like Bonfire Smoke or Death of Autumn, which are my autumn smoke and leaves scents. What I do get though,is a sweet musky wine scent that is excellent for late summer, when the days are still very hot, but you want to start wearing something that gives you that "early autumn" feeling. The wine has never been overly boozy, and I can wear it to work without fear, and it's very well-blended with the sweet musk and other notes. I think it's always been an overlooked scent and I really do love it.