Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with benzoin, bourbon vanilla, lemon peel, neroli, blood orange, and red ginger.

Hooo boy I like this one a lot! Straight up it is pumpkin and red ginger. I *love* red ginger and this is the same as the ginger in Pumpkin Queen which is one of my favorites. Actually, this is very similar to Pumpkin Queen but maybe a little less fruity and bit more spicy/pumkiny. wub.gif Yum!

In the vial, this smells like Pumpkin Queen's twin. On my wrist, though, this is a lighter more tea-and-spice scent. It's like a cross between Bakeneko and Pumpkin Queen. I like it! I'm not getting one trace of the butter scent so often noted in Jack. This is very light and spicy on my arm, in a friendly, pumpkiny, autumnal sort of way.

Edited by Betty Baker

This is my favorite of the new Pumpkin Patch :P The pumpkin and the bourbon vanilla are simply lovely together and not at all overbearingly sweet. The touch of neroli does that I think, grounds it a bit. The ginger gives it a little spicy kick and the citrus rounds it out nicely. This isn't a buttery or even really a foody scent to me at all. Just warm and delicious. I am definitely going to get a second bottle of this before it goes away.

I really liked this one at first, but it ends up being too sweet with the vanilla. It smells quite foody too me, in that pumpkin pie sort of way. I can detect the citrus note for sure. This is really nice but it just turns really cloying on me after about a minute or two. Bah. The same thing happened to me with Pumpkin Queen so I'm not shocked I guess.

In the bottle, Pumpkin V is a buttery pumpkin with a hint of vanilla and lemon (almost smells like a lemon cake).

On my skin, it goes through the buttery phase that the PPs seem to want to do on me and then settles into a lovely combination of delicious vanilla and pumpkin (minus the butteriness now). It's a mellow foody smell, but this is gourmand foody and not overly sweet. Then it morphs completely into a sultry spiced pumpkin. The red ginger (along with the pumpkin) is really the star of the show here, but I can still smell the vanilla in the background. It's smooth and spicy. I get enough of a hint of lemon to remind me a little of spiced cider.

Edited to add: I was a little worried when the earlier reviews mentioned Pumpkin Queen because PQ turned to PlayDoh on me. PP 5 did not do the same thing (yay!).

Verdict: The red ginger isn't there at first, but when it comes out, boy, does it! It's a surprisingly spicy scent, but I enjoy it. It's perfect for a crackling cool autumn evening.

Edited by Keslynn

This smells so freaking good! I was looking forward to this oil most from the Patch and it’s fabulous.

When first applied, there’s this wonderful sweet pumpkin – warm, cozy, delicious. As it wears, I’m actually getting an orange vibe from this oil. Looking at the notes I realize that it’s the blood orange. It’s actually reminding me a bit of Ravenous, which is one of my favorite oils. There’s an fizzy quality to both, which is probably due to the neroli. Ginger is there too, and at this point, it’s mostly all orange, pumpkin and ginger.

After it’s been on a half-hour or so, the vanilla starts to come out, and the orange and ginger soften. The pumpkin is still there but it’s not overly buttery or foody. It’s just warm, spicy, sweet and delicious. I love it and have to get a second bottle of this.

:D Yum! I am finding it impossible to properly review this scent as I can't pick out the notes very well... although that could have something to do with the fact that I've been sick for the last 6 weeks and my nose is a bit stuffy :P

The best I can do is say that this reminds me a little bit of Monsterbait: BiggerCritters, but a little less foody! Sweet, warm, slightly spicey and slightly foody with a sweet vanilla undertone. The spice must be the ginger, it is not the usual sharp bite-my-nose-off ginger, but more subtle which must be the red ginger.

All in all a great scent, one that I am extremely glad I have and I think it will be perfect for Australian winters, however I will have to wait till next year to test that theory! Good to cuddle with if you're feeling cold and lonely, especially since it has the slight 'baked cookies' smell to remind you of grandma's kitchen!

ETA: Comparing it next to Pumpkin III I can definately pick out the neroli... but its not there when I smell the bottle on its own!

Edited by Pendragon

Wet: Pumpkin gingerbread cookies with lemon vanilla glaze. But not as sugary as that sounds.

Drying: Ginger, pumpkin, and lemon/orange/froot loops.

Dry: Predominantly red ginger, with pumpkin and bourbon vanilla. Slightly foody but without sugar. I wish I had this in body wash or soap! It's luxurious like that. #3 is still my fave by foody default, but this is a close second!

Ahhh, my favorite of the patch! I really enjoy the lab's vanilla and blood orange scents. Mix it up with some pumpkin, bourbon, lemon and ginger and it's a keeper! I think I like it so much because it doesn't scream PUMPKIN! Normally, I wouldn't like pumpkin-y scents at all, but the entire patch was done so well, I enjoy each one of them in their own right. But #5 is my favorite-est of all!

Ooh! This is such a citrusy, ginger pumpkin when wet! I love it!

Dry, the citrusy zing backs off as the warm pumpkin returns. Still citrusy and gingery, but mellowed out. Not what I was expecting with this pumpkin, but yummy, nonetheless!

At first, this is almost all pumpkin and vanilla...very sweet, almost sugary. As it wears, the citrus comes out more and makes this a very pretty, sweet/fruity scent. A few hours later, I've almost no pumpkin left, instead a vanilla citrus scent with just a hint of spice. I'd like more ginger out of this one, to be honest, but that's a note that doesn't really sing on my skin, alas, so I'm not surprised that I'm amping other notes instead. Still, a very pretty and impressive blend!

First on, I get the weird nutty smell I get with all the Pumpkin scents, but I've learned to just hang on and ride it out. Nutty, nutty nutty...ok there it goes. Now to settle down and enjoy the scent. Oh yum. I like this. I really really like this. First something fruity, wafts of the red ginger (is it just me or is red ginger more mellow than regular?) balancing perfectly with the fruit. No sharp lemon scent on me, thank goodness (I have fear of lemon.) Then it starts to get sweeter, the vanilla comes out, a bit of spice, sort of creamy like something you'd want to eat, but not excessively sweet. Oh and you know what else I smell? Constant Comment tea! :P

The notes continue to balance just right until...alas, 2 hours later I can't smell it anymore! I love this and I can see that I'm going to be slathering it on all autumn. It may even be my most favorite pumpkin scent. I agree with the poster who said it's like Pumpkin Queen but lighter. And maybe a bit spicier.

On me, Pumpkin V smells like pumpkin and orange. It's really good but it irritated my skin so I had to wash it off. I may use it as a room scent.

In bottle/imp: Pumpkin and citrus.

Immediately on skin: This smells like yummy, spicy pumpkin tea to me. It’s foody, but in a refreshing way. The citrus adds a crisp feel to the blend, and the bourbon vanilla is adding a slightly boozy creaminess. The ginger is there, but just a hint of it. It’s just slightly spicy.

After a few minutes: This has morphed just barely… it’s a little less sweet now, but the pumpkin, bourbon vanilla, citrus, and ginger blend together beautifully. It’s slightly foody, but in a comforting way rather than “omg I want to eat my arm!” way.

Overall Impressions: In my opinion, this is the closest blend to last year’s Pumpkin Queen. It’s not as buttery and rich, but the citrus, ginger, and other notes blend with the pumpkin to create something warm and yummy. It’s not foody as much as a nice, smooth and spicy pumpkin scent. I absolutely love this one!

at first: switch pumpkin with a hint of neroli and lemon.

on: sweet and citrussy, with a smooth base of pumpkin.

1 hour later: much, much sweeter. i can mostly smell the benzoin and a hint of vanilla. the citrus is cone and i can only smell a hint of the red ginger.

2.5 hours later: still mostly sweet benzoin, with a bit of a powdery feel.

7 hours later: sweet and a bit powdery.

overall: very pretty, but not particularly strong on the pumpkin.

PUMPKIN V - The hot ginger spicy one!

Wet: Pumpkin and a touch of ginger. This one is going to have a nice kick to it!

Dry on Skin: It starts with pure, sweet, juicy pumpkin and a bright note of lemon peel. The lemon peel sticks around for the first while and melds almost seamlessly with the blood orange and neroli. They fade to the background as the vanilla and benzoin join in. The benzoin does not go very incense-like in this blend; rather, it seems to anchor the pumpkin and keep the vanilla from becoming too cloying. The vanilla sort of amps then fades, then makes a reappearance later on.

The red ginger in this really takes off after the oil has settled into my skin for a few minutes. It makes my skin very warm but does not cause a reaction or any red marks. It's very dry and spicy and it works so well with the pumpkin and all the other notes. This is a fiery and sexy autumn scent! As time passes the scent turns dry, then fades and softens until just a lingering bit of red spice and orange pumpkin remain.

As it turns out, I wasn't crazy about this batch of pumpkins--I like the earlier ones better, because they smelled more heavily pumpkin to me, which was a good thing!

That said, I like Pumpkin 5 the best of the bunch.

In the bottle, it surprised me, because I got the buttery pumpkin love, but with a jolt of neroli. This worried me--I just couldn't see how they could fit together. On, I also get the lovely pumpkin of say, Pumpkin Queen, but the neroli is also there, adding a layer of complixity that is quite interesting.

This softens very quickly on me, and becomes the citrusy spicy blend others mentioned. I can see the comparisons to PQ, but on me, this is a lot less pumpkiny, and more just a soft seasonal spice.

I like it, esp. when I get the red ginger warmth in the drydown. It also last quite awhile--much longer that PQ--so I may keep this one.

Pumpkin V starts out really gingery. Then settles down into a nice spicy/vanilla/pumpkin wintery warm blend. Just the thing for a cold fall day!

ADDED Oct. 20:

Uh oh. Small problem with Pumpkin V. I am apparently sensitive to ginger oil. I got big red welts within minutes of applying this on my decollete and inside my elbows. No reaction on my wrists - guess that skin is tougher.

This is such a lovely blend that I'm thinking a scent locket purchase is in order so I can continue to enjoy it.

Mmm. Yum.

At first application, it's boozy. Lots of bourbon vanilla covered pumpkin. But within seconds, I can start to detect the lemon peel and maybe a hint of red ginger. It's definitely sweet, but not as sweet as I expected it to be from sniffing the bottle. A hint of spice, a hint of citrus, plenty of vanilla. The pumpkin is more in the background than I'd like it to be, but it's still a delicious, foody scent.

A spicer version of Pumpkin Queen, at least while it's still wet, is a good comparison.

The red ginger keeps getting stronger, which I like. I have plenty of sweet pumpkin in my life, and could use a little spice! A sexy pumpkin blend! :P

First of all I have to say that I am in love with Pumpkin Quuen - one of my all time favorites, top 3. This smells just like Pumpkin Queen on me...but with lemon. Of all the notes to stand out on me, this was the worst option. I don't enjoy smelling like lemon and this is very strong on me. Alas.

Edited by neuilly

This is very citrus with spiced pumpkin. Totally the fall scent I was after. It kind of reminds me of spiced orange potpourri, but without the sweet, cloyingness that potpourri has. The pumpkin stays pretty strong in this one, and I would venture to guess the ginger is what comes across as spicy to me. It doesn't have a ton of throw, though, which is too bad, because this is lovely.

I've decided neroli must be my crack, because there's no scent that's had that in it, that I've given less than a 10 to in my tracking chart. This is no exception. I'm not a foody and not generally a fan of the Halloween and harvest scents (sacrelige, I know), but it said neroli and so I decided to try it (albeit with apprehension).

Umm, I take back everything I said about not liking food-based scents. I can't get enough of this. It's rich and sweet without being cloying. It's interesting, and I need to go get some more before it's no longer available.

Mmm, this blend is delicious. Warm pumpkin with warm ginger and equally warm vanilla. First on the ginger springs out to announce its presence and the pumpkin in in your face, but it settles down to a very comforting pumpkin and spice. There's almost an apply hint to it that I have no idea where it's coming from, but sometimes green pumpkin can taste like apples so maybe that's it. I don't usually like pumpkin scents but this one has me.

ooooooooooh this is such a winner. This is the warmest, spiciest, most wonderful pumpkin yet. It's got a lovely slight sweetness to it that isn't too foody, but just enough to be yummy. it's almost like spiced yellow-cake batter with a slight wiff of carrot-cake in the distance. The ginger is well behaved, just gives and amazing warmth. wow this is perfectly blended and just comfor HEAVEN. must have a bottle for sure.

In the bottle a warm pumpkin cookie scent. On, it smells like a union of Jack, Original Shub, and Gingerbread Poppet. I think it is my favorite pumpkin so far!

As it wears it becomes a lovely ginger vanilla, with just a hint of pumpkin. Wonderful.