Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Inanna9

Crypt Queen

As sweet as death, as deep as the grave: pomegranate, raspberry, gardenia, plum, and rose with patchouli, black pepper, rose musk, and a hint of blood accord.

i procured both the Queen and Her crypt from Forumite Tarotgirl in a fabulous swap- i have long lusted after this lady and her regal home, hoping that Her scent would work on me. i am NOT disappointed! :D

in the bottle: all sweet fruits, but there is an edge of something...darker under the sweetness. this is not the fruit of, say Fruit Moon or Teenage Cannibal. oh, no. :D

wet on skin: the Darkness advances. :P

dry down: the fruits have calmed down and blended with what i can only describe as the Demon's Musk- dark, feral, and totally irresistible!

in all: perfectly capturing that feeling of reading a book like Queen of the Damned, this Queen is perfectly suited to her home: She is dark, She is musky, and She is utterly alluring- i have waited a long time for a Lady like her.

:D Edited by Shollin

I've managed to get my greedy little mitts on lots of rare and dc'ed BPAL, but Crypt Queen is one that I have been waiting to try for a while. In the imp this made my eyes roll back in my head. So yummy! Dark fruits that are not overly sweet tempered by earthy notes that prevent this bend from becoming too perfumey or generic. On the skin, initially, the sweetness of the fruits rises to the top of the scent, reminding me a great deal of a slightly darker Coral Viper. Yeah, to my nose this is a lot like Coral Viper in the sense that it is dark fruits that have bite to them with a complex, sexy undercurrent. As the blend dries, Crypt Queen proves that she is far darker, richer, and more berrylicious than CV, which I couldn't wear due to it's overt sweet and tangy top notes.

This is a dark and sinister, womanly, voluptuous blend. I am in love with this one and am so glad I got my hands on a decant of it. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for more!

1-5 rating: 4.5

:lovestruck:

I was beginning to think I had the wrong scent, till I came on zankoku_zen's review upthread.

This was all about pepper to me. Wet, drying, dry, the pepper was so dominant I could not sniff anything else. I like me some pepper but not that much of it. I was hoping that this queen would work with me, like other queens do, but it was not meant to be.

Yay for EBay! I finally got ahold of her!

In the bottle: Anise, gardenia, fruit

Wet: Anise & fruits seperate a little. Not much change.

Dry: BAM! Gardenia and roses at war on the battlefield of Patchouli, to the back beat of various gushing fruits.

1/2 hour in: Pomegranate & raspberry quickly are becoming alternating notes- plum is by the wayside. There are pricks of white pepper as well. Gardenia & rose rage on.

Aftermath: Things kind of blend to something appealing. It seems Gardenia is the slightly more dominate note in the florals on me. Gardenia + white peper = win. The fruits blended to a grown up sort of fruit. & The patchouli is playing nice. (What a surprise!)

So long story short, I am a whore for pomegranate. When I read about Crypt Queen for the first time, I think I might have actually widdled myself in excitement. Of course it was relatively rare, so chances of ever coming across a pomegranate-patchouli scent of magic and win seemed pretty slim. Then! Someone was kind enough to swap me her half-bottle, and lo... it was mine!

In the bottle and wet, Crypt Queen is rich and red -- not fire engine red, but dark shades of burgundy, of dark pinks, of tousled bed sheets made from silk and sheer veils and perhaps some velvet thrown in for contrast. The pomegranate and rose happily leaps out at me, with the raspberry giving a little extra zing just to mix things up, and down deep at the bottom in rich soil is the patchouli, just waiting. Basically it's like a stiletto heels version of Persephone, IMO.

I had the misfortune of being a spastic, so I over-applied (re: spilled) on myself and my desk, which meant a lot of oil to make use of (and a lot of waste <sigh>). A couple of hours after application, I'm sad to say that Crypt Queen wears a helluva lot lighter than I'd like. I'm not swimming in a cloud of perfume, which I had seriously expected after this morning's accidental drenching. What I can pick up are faint, occasional wafts where rose, pomegranate and raspberry are happily marinating in patchouli. The patchouli is smooth, though, earthy without being heavy. There might be some plum kicking in now and again, but the overall impression is like the bastard child of Persephone and Mme. Moriarty.

I like it. A lot. And feel like an utter goof for spilling so much without even realizing it. Boo!

But win for Crypt Queen. She's gorgeous and lovely.

I'm kicking myself now for turning down a previous opportunity to get this. Thjis was my reasoning:

pomegranate= iffy

gardenia=soap

plum= either craft store or Yankee candle

black pepper= OMG, no! ew ew ew ew

blood accord= iffy

So, it shouldn't work, right? How wrong I was. This starts off very juicy and youthful, but as it dries it becomes darker and richer, while still maintaining the sweet and tart fruitiness. I can catch the barest hint of florals at times, but no trace of soap or old lady. The black pepper seems to be just about non-existant, though there is a spicy undercurrent. This is a darkly alluring and somehow playful and lively.

The throw is better than I expected, though not overwhelming.

I really really love this and I am so happy I was able to find some (and with her crypt!).

The lovely VioletChaos swapped with me for this, including the Queen's Crypt, which is awesome!

Bottle: A swirl of polished red and purple fruits, rose, a little musk, some sharp black pepper that smells like freshly cut wood, a hint of dust, patchouli, and just the faintest whisper of something that smells a whole lot like blood. Dark and a little threatening and sexy as all hell.

Wet: At first it's a bright sweet raspberry, but then the bitter pomegranate and juicy plum come up behind it. There's definitely some gardenia too, and rose, which magically doesn't go soapy on me but instead smells like dried roses. Musk and patchouli next, and splintered black pepper and just the faintest whisper of dirt. Good Lord, sirs and madams, this is amazing! It's fruity, but really dark and complex underneath it.

Dry: This smells like spilled wine and overripe fruit, dried roses, musky incense, dust, old wood, dirt and an unnerving hint of blood. But the weird thing is, for smelling like all that, it should be gross but it's so, so, not-- instead it's an incredibly sexy, delicious, draw-you-closer intoxicating scent that keeps my nose firmly glued to my wrist every time I wear it. Absolutely deserves its status as a BPAL classic. I :evol: it. It makes me feel sexy and womanly and vampy and mysterious!

Firstly, big :wub2: going out to Tapestry, who sold me her 1/2 bottle of this lovely lady. Like many others, I'd been lusting after her for a while :smile:

I really LOVE the way this smells in the bottle. I wanted to drink it. It's all dark peppery velvet raspberry and pomegranate - sweet with a menacing edge, like a very very VERY good hideously expensive voluptuous red wine. And then it hits my skin. The same rich rudeness is there, but now I can smell the rose musk and it's not as heady as it was in the bottle. The gardenia is just a bit too obvious for my liking, it's overriding the reds and purples. Give it time..

Ok - an hour in. Now the gardenia has settled, and remains only in spirit. The plum is in full force, with the blood, and now I can also smell the patchouli. The raspberry and pomegranate are hanging in there, just around the edges.

Two hours in - much the same, but much fainter on my skin now. I wish the heady voluptuous stage had stayed a bit longer, but this is one intoxicating blend.. I will be treasuring every drop.

I've been coveting Crypt Queen based on the notes for ages, but have been outbid at every turn on Ebay. Suddenly, someone posted a bottle on the sales forum and horray! She is mine. I waited for ages for my first sniff of this regal perfume, and I'm not disappointed.

In the bottle, this is deliciously sweet. It's sophisticated, dark flowers with a tang of raspberry and pomegranate candy. It smells edible and delicious in the bottle, but I was desperately hoping that some of that deep, dark tomb would come out on my skin. Wet, it smelled pretty much the same as in the bottle. To my delight, the gardenia stayed way far in the background, and the rose and blood shifted to meld nicely with the fruit. As it dried down, the patchouli came out and gave it a slightly musty, damp woodiness. It melded in with my skin pretty rapidly, settling in to lend that ripe, sweet darkness as a skin scent. The throw is pretty light, but I can still smell it on the back of my wrists.

Final vote: This is definitely a Holy Grail scent for me, and is fit for a zombie queen.

Edited by Dianora

I swapped imp for imp for this baby, and man she does not disappoint! This is a nice, mellow patchouli, with a background of red pomegranate/raspberry and a little bit of spice thrown in for good measure. I really don't get any floral, which is a good thing. This is quite similar to Mme Moriarty, like a cousin, only not as strong, and with a different fruit rather than the plum. This would be a great scent to wear to a halloween event. I LOVE this, and will treasure my little impy. :wub2:

This would be my Holy Grail scent. It smells like aged Mme. Moriarty but with raspberry and a little more complex. It has that same fresh scent. I adore it. And it would be my signature scent....if only it worked on me. It turns sharp and horrible like Mme. Moriarty almost does, what Embalming Fluid does and so many others. I'm still greedy and want a bottle though.

Very,very, very late to the ball I am. Or maybe I should say funeral, since it is Crypt Queen, after all.

I received this scent thanks to the wonders of Ebay and the fact that I am not as spooked by fruits and florals as I used to be. When I first put it on, the words "evil Juicy Fruit" come to mind. It has that really juicy, sweet fruity smell, but with a sinister undertone.

When the scent dries, it smells very much like a drier, dustier Mme. Moriarty. The pomegranate predominates, but it indeed reminds me of the smell of a queen's crypt, where the fragrance of drying flowers and fruits, anointing oils and dust evoke a somber, austere beauty.

In the Bottle: Sweet juicy fruits. Berries.

Wet: Still sweet, but the scent gets darker and edgier. The florals come out to play.

Dry: The rose (I think it's the rose) starts to go sharp and soapy on me. Damn. I think that is the one note I need to avoid above all others.

A few hours later: The soapy rose fades and now I'm getting whiffs of spicy fruit. I'm so glad the rose faded for me. A kind soul answered my ISO post and sold me the set. I'm so glad she did! Once this calms down it is a lovely scent on me that is sweet and spicey. Very nice.

In Bottle: Raspberry, raspberry, raspberry with a hint of dirt or something. Like a tombstone, almost.

Wet on Skin: I definitely get the patchouli now, but still a ton of raspberry.

Dry Down: God, this scent is heavenly. The raspberry is starting to fade and I can smell the plum and patchouli a lot stronger now. I haven't smelt the pomegranate at all.

Dry on Skin: The darkness has toned down a bit, leaving a very dusty and spicey blend. I get the plum, the patchouli, the musk, a bit of the black pepper.... It's delicious.

Rate: 6/5. I could bath in this all day.

This is yum! I'm not even sure how I came across getting my mits on this but I ain't complainin!

Ok so Crypt Queen immediately reminds me of one Mme.Moriarty. It's that deep dark red fruit smell. It's gorgeous. Very sharp, vary tart and very biting to the point of almost smelling minty. It's quite a complex scent and everytime I sniff my hand I get bits and peices of other notes. It's just stunning!!

The sharpness dies down after a while and I can smell the powdery dustiness of the patchouli coming through, not so much that it's overtaking but it's adding to the overall smell. It's really weird because sometimes this smells a bit foresty, like there's pine or fir in here. This is one complex oil and I love it.

As it dries furher it becomes more..dusty, less sharp. Still smells like deep red fruits but lees biting. It smells alot more like Mme.Moriarty in this stage. It's the patchouli mixed with the plum methinks!

Softer still when it's completley dry. But it retains that dark red fruit throughout.

Winner!

This one was worth every penny. :wub2: Definitely a "me" scent, no question--and arrived at my doorstep on Halloween, no less! Gorgeous, bursting, bloody dark fruits on an earthy base that suggests something ancient and sinister. Even though there is no juniper in the description, I could swear there was some juniper berry in this, which I love...maybe the rose musk mixing with something gives me that impression, because in certain mixtures rose can come off that way, which is a pleasant surprise. It's a long-abandoned crypt oozing with bloody goodness...LOVE!

Edited by Invidiana

In the imp, I'm getting the pomegranate, plum, raspberry, and a hint of the black pepper. On my skin, I'm getting rose, with fruits and pepper waaaaay underneath. ...Oh, come on! Seriously?!

Edited by Venneh

Dark Fruits...plum, pomegranate....no berry thank goodness. And...ash! Grave yard ash with the barest hints of patchouli. So glad I got to try this...but I think I will be passing this along!

This starts off a little bit harsh and very earthy, with the pepper and patchouli smelling quite feral. Then, as it dries down, its feral quality settles back into a very dark fruity floral with an evil core. This reminds me of Mme. Moriarty so much, very much in the same family, but of course it's different, too. For one thing, no vanilla, so it's a lot lighter! It's also fruitier, with the raspberry and plum and pom swirling and dancing amongst the florals. This rose is perfect, like a dark purple-red rose that is black at the tips, the gardenia adding a creamy spicy quality over top.

Crypt Queen is so sexy, so vampiric, so amazing. The final effect on my skin is of pure delicious evil. I love this and I hope it gets resurrected some day, since this is one of Beth's masterpieces and the Queen needs to rise again. ;)

Edited by obsidienne

In the IMP it is very very sweet. Almost sickly sweet but in a very euphoric way. The raspberry, rose and plum sticking out the most.

I find it incredible how it can smell so different on my skin. I was hoping it would be the same as the IMP but it’s not.

On me, it’s still lovely but not as sweet or potent. My skin seems to soak it up and I can barely smell it. What I do pick up is beautiful sweet hints of rose and gardenia. It reminds me of a perfume my mom used to wear when I was little and evokes memories of Barbies and Trolls.

This is a very elegant, soft and subtle scent that I like very very much.

I've been lusting after this forever and finally procured some.

In the bottle it smells like spicy fruit mushed down into the dirt. I think perhaps its the blood accord and the patchouli that produce the spiceness. This is very juicy, spicy floral that dries to an elegant, earthy sexy scent. This reminds me alot of Mme. Moriarty.

The throw is pretty good. I keep slathering myself and it makes me happy :)

I've been hugely looking forward to trying this fabled scent, and now I have a decant in my hands!

In Imp: Strangely medicinal, like a fruity magic potion. Mossy and fruity at once, but not citrusy - these are dark red fruits. I get the raspberry and the plum, but something in here is oddly dirty - has to be the patchouli, which I was hoping would take a backseat on this.

Wet: This smells like something to me and I can't identify what. Christmas potpourri, maybe? There is something strangely dry about this scent, like dried plants. The pepper and patchouli give it a dirty, rough, earthy background, with wisps of light red fruits floating on top.

Dry: Unfortunately this just wasn't the revelation I expected. It's definitely interesting, however, not like any other BPAL I've tried. It's a little too potpourri, a little too processed incense. I guess I'm thankful - I can hardly afford to be a devotee of this scent!

Edited by Whisperstilled

Let me start this by saying that pomegranate hates me with a passion. It's never juicy or sweet on my skin, but always very dry, harsh and sour. It has ruined many of otherwise lovely scents for me. That said, I guess there are people on whom Crypt Queen smells better than on me, but I can wear her and enjoy the scent!! Yay.

Probably because of my pom problem, Crypt Queen is a very dry scent on me. It's hardly got any body neither. While the scent is strong, it seems to start only... If you imagine the scent as a ball... then with Crypt Queen there is no or only a very loosely knit/textured center, but a very dense middle to outer layer. This is where the patchouli leaf works at its strongest... and it is very strong. It transports with it the pink-purple-red fruit and floral notes giving Crypt Queen a lot of throw. Still, it's weird how there is no centre... as if there was no heart... which would make sense for a Crypt Queen in the end.

This scent feels sophisticated, assertive, feminine... I see a woman in control wearing it. She might kick some ass or she might just not care enough, but she's on top of her game nevertheless.

I've been intrigued by this scent for quite some time. While I like patchouli and rose, pomegranate and plums are hit or miss with me, and gardenia only works in tropical scents. I was thinking this would smell like a weird floral Dionysia with plums and incense for some reason, which is why I never tried hard to find a decant.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the scent from the decant. Shiny red berries and pepper. I get the barest whisper of a dried up rose and maybe gardenia. On my skin, the bright red berries die down and I'm left with a scent that is slightly fruity (plummy?) with dry cracked coffin wood and a hint of fir or juniper berries, and it's a little smoky once it's dry.

I happened to get some of this in my hair, and it smells so much more intense, because the notes are clearer. While this may not be a wearable scent for me, it's beautiful enough to keep to wear in my hair when it's cold and I'm out for a walk on some trails. It would make a fantastic atmosphere spray, too.