Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Imp

Devilishly playful: white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli.

In the imp: Ripe peaches and summer. It reminds me of Fae, but not quite so girly.

On my skin: The peach comes out the strongest, but the other notes keep it from being too girly and fruity. The amber warms it up quite a bit. It's a sweeter scent than I generally wear, but it smells so good I might just buy a bottle.

(I wanted this for the peach scent.)

In the bottle: sweet

On me: patchouli

(oh no, I'm not sure I like patchouli, it reminds me of an eccentric aunt, whom I love, but don't want to smell like!)

Maybe I can layer this. Darn, I wanted to love an imp of Imp!

EDIT: Merged with existing review thread. --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

Imp: Dragons blood resin and wine? Heavy whiff of black smoke. Something that was in Serpent's Kiss is in this, the part I wasn't so fond of... hope I'm wrong. Can smell the peach, it's lovely. I've decided the peach is gorgeous.

Wet: Dirty fruit, sexual, sexy. Peach and darkness, a warm black hole that I think is the golden musk and patchoulli. The amber must not be a large part because I smell no powder.

Dry: Aaaand peach scents stay on me, they LOVE my skin! The patchoulli is lovely with the peach and I expected to not like the combo. I think the golden musk is blending with the peach a bit, I can't pick it out and it's not mixing with the patchoulli I don't think.

Category: Peach/Dirty Fruit

Rating: 4.5/5; Perfect for early summer or any time in the summer. For stinky hippies AND girly girls.

Overall: I like this scent a LOT more than I origionally thought I would. I love BPAL's peach notes, they are so juicy and sweet and fresh and gorgeous. This could be a lovely summer scent for me.

First off, I have to say that I was surprised when I saw the color of the perfume. It looks like coca-cola! It made me question whether I'd gotten the right scent or not but...well, why shouldn't it be that colot? But anyhoo, on to the review...

In the bottle: Sweet incense. I'm guessing that's the peach and patchouli but I'm not the best at picking out notes.

Wet: Ugh, patchouli and nothing else. I'm very much not an incense kind of girl. Sadly not of the playful peach I was expecting. Maybe in the drydown...

Dry: Some of the peach came out which is nice. Smells like sweet patchouli now. Still not a fan of the patchouli though so this will have to go in the swap pile.

(thank you to filigree_shadow for the frimp! I'd been wanting to test it.)

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Patchouli and musk.

Preconceived notions: The white peach, amber and golden musk could make for a wonderful scent. The patchouli could go either way, depending on it's of the distinctly-hippie-ish variety.

In the imp: Scherezade? What the... this smells like Scherezade! Or, well, like something in it. Maybe the musk? Eep. The musk in Scherezade hates me.

On skin, wet: Fuity, dirty and rancid. That would be the peach, the musk and the patchouli. I'm surprised about the musk bit: the lighter musks usually turn out fabulously; it's usually just the darker musks that turn out badly. Hmm. Anyway, it's very dirty and earthy and almost "brown."

On skin, dry: Patchouli and musk. Not good, this, and there's not much else to say.

Conclusion/Notes: Not for me, this one. Not at all.

bottle:

incensey/resin

wet:

amber and patchouli, hint of fruit

dry:

interesting…. Not sure what I think of it! I think I like it…

overall:

borderline scent, not sure what I think!

rating: 6/10

Acquired in a swap. I wrote a review for this once already, but the board ate it, so here's round two.

In the Imp: Mmm, mmm good. Thick, smoky peaches, with amber and lots of very headshoppy, incensey patchouli. This baby is stroooong. Delicious, though. In fact, I kind of wish I knew how to make a dessert that smelled this good-- peaches and spice! :P For a peach scent, it's surprisingly dark, and seems to have just the tiniest hint of booze about it.

Wet: This is definitely not a summer blend, and I say that as one who likes to match her blends to the weather (hot blends for summer, icy ones for winter and so on.) I think this would be best in fall; warm and luxurious and fruity, with a touch of menace. Every note blends perfectly, harmonising with the others-- it's mostly peach, yes, but it's oh-so-much-more, too.

Dry: Peach incense over a bed of musk. An un-girly peach I can actually wear, unlike Tamora. Unlike a lot of BPAL, this really doesn't seem to tell much of a story to me. There's no message, no mood behind it... on the other hand, it smells so damn good I don't really care. The Imp's a keeper for fall, definitely, and while I may not have found my OTP peach blend, I'm looking forward to slathering this on in cooler weather.

I just got this as a frimp and was very excited to try it, but...

on my skin this was sickengly sweet peach mixed with patchouli. While I love Ravenous, which is a sweet fruit and patchouli blend, Imp was wayyyy too much for me. If I hadn't washed it off soon I'm afraid I would have had a raging headache. Alas!

Since I also tried another peachy scent today and didn't like it (Aglaea), I am beginning to think that maybe peach and I do not agree.

For the first few minutes, it was lovely. Incense and amber and sweetness that kept it from being head-shop like. I saw the phrase 'dirty fruit' somewhere in this thread and that's pretty accurate. In a *good* way.

Sadly, peach does NOT sit well on my skin. After about ten minutes it turns into sour, sharp grapefruit. It gives me an incredible headache after about an hour. Curse you, body chemistry, curse you.

The peach in Imp is subtle for me. It adds just the right mellow note to the more traditional darker perfume components. Another scent I never would have tried, but find I adore.

This was a frimp from the lab. I have to say, the oil itself is a gorgeous color. So much so that my husband picked it out of the pile for me to try on.

Unfortunately, on my skin, it is all grape bubblegum. Grape bubblegum for miles and years and it had to come off. Not for me.

I love the peach, amber, and musk, but the patchouli just isn't working for me. I usually can't wear patchouli, although it does work for me in some BPAL blends. This one, however, is a very "dirty" patchouli on my skin, and it just doesn't go well with the fruity and sunny peach and amber. I wish it were a sweeter patchouli, because then I would love this blend! As it is though, I think it will go on the top of my swap pile.

Patchouli. Erk. I think this is the musty/piney note that has been present in (and ruined) so many scents. It completely strangles any other notes, from cradle to grave. Maybe the peaches are lending that little bit of sickly sweetness, but that is it.

In the bottle: it's very fruity, but I wouldn't say peach... it's more like a weird mix, fruit salad for anything, with some grape kicking off.

On my skin: agh patchouli... the patchouli kills all the rest. It's even a little peppery. I'm not convinced.

After a couple of hours: not a hint of peach or any other fruit left... only something very spicy, and finally I can smell the amber too.

Verdict: not a winner, the patchouli is far too present for me during at least the first hour.

Imp - Incredibly fruity and way too sweet – like a bowl of fruit that has sat in the sun for too long, grown soft and rotten, and has started to ooze fruit juice into the bottom of the bowl. Upon dry-down, it’s still ultra-sweet, but smells like raisins smothered in honey. Simply too sweet for me. The throw is out-of-this-world and I felt extremely self-conscious while running my errands as I wore Imp. I felt like everyone around me must be wondering what rotten fruit I was carrying around in my pockets.

In the bottle: There is peach and patchouli wafting right up at me. I daresay the peach is the dominant note in there. The patchouli is lovingly blended in. It smells rich, fruity, and almost creamy.

Wet: The amber pops right out to sing with the peach while the patchouli takes more of a back seat.

Drying down: This is definitely playful. The blend settles in almost immediately, the notes blending beautifully. I’m having some trouble smelling it, but that might be some morning congestion. My seven-year-old son came in from the other room and asked, “Is that Imp your wearing? Did you put it on? That smells so wonderful!” He grabbed my wrist and sniffed deeply.

Dry: This is fruity with a resinous undertone to ground it. The musk isn’t readily apparent in the mix so far. It’s putting a smile on my face, and my son’s approval helps too. I love how well-blended this is. On my skin, the notes harmonize like a well-trained choral ensemble. My husband says Imp smells like candy and my son says it smells like SweetTarts, and it kinda does. It is a yummy smell. :P

Later: This is staying pretty true to the drydown. It has a good throw. Yay!

In the bottle: Peach over woodsy patchouli, and I think I get a whiff of amber.

Wet: Patchouli and peach playing together... very well! Peach comes out as fruity and nearly floral, while patchouli lingers in the background.

Drydown: Strangely, the blend reminds me of Loviatar with peach instead of leather. It's the musk/patchouli/amber combination that resembles Loviatar's base. I get very sweet peach underscored - or sometimes invaded - by a sweet musky patchouli. It smells clean and sweet, but not at all foody.

Overall: A very sweet peach/pachouli mix. It's a surprising mix, and it smells candylike and a bit creamy. I think that again, it confirms that I don't like the Lab's peach note, it's too cloying and sweet for me, so even underscored with patchouli, I wouldn't wear it.

This was a case of love at first sniff. This smells INCREDIBLE on me - like Smut, if Smut had a faint golden peach note! :D It's beautiful, too - the oil is dark cherry colored and viscous, and instead of absorbing immediately into my skin it sits and glistens on the surface for a little while.

In the imp I can detect the fruit, but once it hits my skin it's all dark, sweet musks and spicy patchouli. I LOVE this. Medium throw and if it's like Smut, I'll be able to smell it even after I shower tonight.

I'm so getting a 5ml bottle of this! I :P it. Did I mention that I love it? lol!

In the bottle I wasn't quite sure what I was smelling until I read the description for imp on the website --- it just smelled kind of spicy sweet to me at first, until I was able to identify the amber scent in there. Now that it has dried on my skin it smells like sweet amber. I can smell the peach just barely underneath, but it mostly just sweetens up the amber scent. Not an everyday kind of scent for me, but I do like it.

Edited by ZombieGrrl

Peach and... pastry? Upon immediate application, this smells floury to me -- not even like finished pastry, but like unbaked bread dough. I’ve got the peach, but it’s not a full, juicy peach -- it’s a weird artificial edge.

Drying, it’s still obviously pastry -- only now it’s turned into a cold peach pastry... not totally done, but removed from the oven and dropped on the counter. It’s not even just that there’s a scent like dough -- the peach scent is suggestive of sterotypical peach filling, complete with the heavy syrup around it. I wonder if it’s going to actually bake and be finished in a bit? The peach would be nice if it didn’t smell so artificial.

Flour flour flour flour. Wow. I re-read the description on Imp, and I can’t even conceive of what’s producing that effect. It’s plainly just one of those odd skin chemistry things.

Amazing. Now it’s made it all the way to... a baked peach pastry. It no longer smells underbaked, but it does still smell like peach tart syrup. I feel on some level like a kitten owner who’s just been presented by Fluffy’s First Mouse: I’m proud of Imp, since it was plainly trying very hard, but the result still isn’t something that I treasure.

In the Imp: Mostly musky, it smells sharp to me, kind of spicy. I was hoping for more peach, but I'm strangely drawn to it, and I'm not usually huge on musk.

Wet on skin: Peach! Oh, hello fruity goodness! It's still spicy, and I can smell the patchouli, but it's all wrapped in a soft, warm, peachy hug!

Dry on skin: I fell asleep after I put this on, because I did so after my bath at 1:30 am. By seven, the peach hadn't faded, but the amber and must had strengthened at bit. I'm going to wear Imp today, and see how it plays out when I'm actually awake.

I really like it, and I was surprised by the Impmusk-love I'm experiencing. :)

I am really on the fence about this. Sometimes I sniff the part of my wrist where I smearted Imp and think "wow that is nice" and then a few minutes later I sniff again and think "woah that smells like moldy peaches". I don't know why my nose can't make up its mind! It is driving me crazy. I've left this scent on for over an hour and still can't come to any conclusion...

I do know that I wish the patchouli was a bit more present on my skin. it is being a bit wussy at the moment, and I wish it would come out and help balance the peach a bit. Silly patchouli!

If I end up ever using up the imp of Imp (lol) I will think about getting more, but i doubt that this will ever happen.

In the IMP: it smelled funky in the imp, sweet and sour at the same time. I was nervous.

On my skin (wet): Sweet and musky, reminds me of a sweeter version of Sin.

On my skin (dry): Now mostly sweet, but not sickenenly so. Very soft and pretty, slightly fruity.

I love this scent! Very nice. I can't stop smelling myself! I smell of pretty fruit with a hint of musk. Light, playful, but devilish too.

This scent lasted 12+ hours on me. Not a giant throw, but very long lasting. We likes it.

Edited by talula_fairie

Long-haired, bearded Imp, draped in tie-dye and festooned with love beads and peace signs, ambles out from behind the bead curtain in a fog of patchouli and good vibes. He greets you with a lazy grin and a heartfelt "Hey, maaaan" and then takes a big bite of a juicy, fragrant peach. He smells darn good for a hippie, but he's still too hippie for me. :P

In the bottle: Dirty, juicy peaches!

Wet: Ugh, the combination of peach and patchouli is giving me a strong “licorice” impression. I HATE licorice.

Dry: The licorice impression is staying. Darnit, I guess this won’t be my peach scent.