Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sirensongsouth

Imp

Devilishly playful: white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli.

I did a review in my mind before I read the description for the scent. It was something like this: Cherries (okay, granted I've been smelling cherries in every scent lately), except not really cherries. Then, licorice, but not really licorice, because it doesn't make me recoil in disgust. It smells like the hard candy I can get in Taiwan, except the flavor still isn't very clear.

Now that I've read the description, the scent makes a lot more sense. When I think peaches, I think Fae and Tamora. However, I guess Imp has a different peach. The "licorice" was just something dark lurking in the background, the neroli and musk. I think it's the musk that makes it seem more like a candy than a juicy peach. The staying power is okay with this--about four hours at an okay aromatic strength.

Never in a million years would I have suspected I would like peach, I ordered this because I love amber, golden musk and patchouli.....I was only partially curious about peach, but as it turns out I love peach! :D

I tend to apply scent to my left wrist & arm, so I got an indirect & unexpected hit of Imp as my arm moved through the air. A soft, golden sweetness with peach topnotes....hit my nose. This is a well crafted blend and so far I am loving how it is slowly evolving!

Imp is a sweet and easy scent to get used to, childlike, not complex or deep and I love it! It is certainly great wearing it this time of year - the early autumn breeze is hazy, warm & soothing. Golden light filteres through deep green of the leaves.... At the moment I have a basket of ripe peaches in the kitchen...peachy-ness, a round, soft and fuzzy :D (?) fragrance wafts through the air when I walk by....

The musk is coming to the forefront now and I will see where the patchouli ends up, there is an edge peeking through now :P

I just got through talking on my Live Journal how I didnt want to smell like peaches...and here I am reveling in 'Imp' and seriously considering ways to get the couch-coinage together for a full bottle of this stuff. It is just the right combination of peach and amber to make me feel like I am wearing early autumn, which is my favorite season. I like sweetness when it has been tempered by an undercurrent of dusk, and the patchouli does just that. I like patchouli, but only in teeny amounts, and love how it gives a boost to other notes.

Perfect combination!!

In the bottle it's smells of sweet cherries,on It was just a bit strong and sweet, I got sniff of amber also patchouli this was all doing the wet stage.

After 30 minutes doing the drying version, mostly I was getting amber and peach with musk and patchouli was somewhere in the back, I could detect a faint whiff of the patchouli and after hours and hours, I say about eleven at least it was still on strong, this is nice later I was smelling a lot of the combination of peach ad musk. :P

Hey! A wearable patchouli oil! If anyone could do it, it would be Black Phoenix.

I like patchouli, but I don't like smelling like a head shop.

In Imp, the patchouli is really well-balanced by the musk, amber, and peach.

I honestly didn't think it was possible for patchouli to be so beautifully wearable.

:P Thank you for this! :D

Imp is both succulent and musky. I love these scents that incapsulate opposites, that toy with my senses. It starts out almost candy sweet and then expands and deepens into this rich, gorgeous scent. The peach and patchouli are both distinct but the amber and musk fill in the space between just beautifully.

I am being very very picky about my list of bigger bottles lately, but this has definitely made the cut.

I didn't find this to be light or playful at all. Instead, it's quite heavy and almost cloying. Furthermore, the peach seems to be a golden peach, rather than a white peach - and I was particularly looking forward to a white peach. Nevertheless, this is an enjoyable scent, but just not for *me.*

These notes are certainly playing devilishly together on my skin…sometimes fighting and sometimes going off to play separately. The summer fruit note was dominant first. On me it is more like peach juice than fresh peach. Next a warm powdery sweetness comes forward which I believe is the amber and musk. The patchouli was shy in this blend, but lent a woodsy note. I liked parts of this blend, but it did not come together comfortably. I continue to prefer March Hare for a blend of fruity warmth.

In the Bottle: Mmmm...peachy or pear with a slight musk to it.

On Me: Wow...the sandalwood smell just came out of nowhere. How odd. This is a lot less fruity than I had expected, and the sudden change in scents is certainly a rather impish thing to do to a girl! :P

The patchouli is coming out more than anything else as long as my nose is firmly glued to my wrist. Otherwise, there is a definate pear scent coming off of my wrists. A little bit more is radiating off of me as I get closer to my wrists though, and I actually find this to be a wonderful scent. It is extremely playful and chaotic, reminding me of my daughter. I'll slather now and then see how it smells on her later.

First sniff:

Peach and amber and a hint of patchouli. It's simultaneously sweet and fruity, rich and golden and earthy. I really like this, but I don't know if I'll be able to wear it since amber tends to turn into sour milk on me. :D

Wet on skin:

Whoa, that's odd. When I put this on, it turns into Sin! This (on me, anyway) could be Sin's long-lost twin in spite of the differing notes. That's really odd, but I'm not complaining because I love it...mainly because I love Sin, but, regardless of te reason, I love this blend. :P

Dry down:

Imp still smells exactly like Sin, but the amber doesn't seem to be turning into sour milk with this one. Either my losing streak with amber has ended or I just got lucky with this one. Either way, I'm a happy camper, this is gorgeous. :D

The bottom line:

I love this even if I am mystified as to how it managed to turn from the peach/amber/patchouli combination in the vial into Sin's doppelganger. Very odd to say the least, but it makes me very happy. :D

In bottle: Peach sweetens, patchouli darkens. There are hints of the musk and amber make me wonder how this would compare to haunted.

On me: Patchouli dominates. Overall the scent is not very strong - the peach gains strength so the blend becomes very juicy. Although I can't smell it on my skin if I put my nose near my arm, I can sporadically smell the peach and musk as I walk around. Intriguing.

Imp

Love amber, love peach, fear patchouli. But, dammit, I SO wanted to try Imp. I was more than a little freaked out because it at first smelled like Aureus light. It was really starting to mess with me because it was so similar, only a touch lighter. No peach for a good 30 minutes and, happily, no problems with black patchouli either. (I've concluded that red patchouli doesn't cause me much in the way of distress-it's just black that sometimes gets me. LOL). It took a good 45 minutes on me for the peach to come creeping up in this scent and for it to smelly a little more fruity and playful than Aureus. Freaky!

This is so sexy I can hardly handle it.

The peach and patchouli melt into the glowing golden core of the musk and amber. The peach is brighter than I expected, but not sickly sweet or overpowering. Resin-y and thick and just sweet enough.

I LOVE it. It's my new favorite...

:P

This one is REALLY good! :P

Imp reminds me very much of Siren, but without the ginger. So if you like Siren, you'd probably really like Imp. Especially if you don't enjoy ginger.

This one reminds me of the soft, fuzzy skin of a warm, ripe peach. The peach note and the golden musk combine into this brilliant, golden sweetness and the amber and patchouli ground it nicely so it's not an overwhelming or cloying scent. Fantastic!

ETA: This is also similar to Depraved, as Sarada notes below. As far as choosing between Siren, Imp, and Depraved, I decided to go with a bottle of Depraved. Imp is really lovely, but I like the strong patchouli scent in Depraved better. But if you want it heavier on the fruit, try Imp or Siren. All three are nice, lush scents that stop short of being "foody".

Edited by Theravada

The notes in this sounded so deliciously appetizing I started craving peaches before ever smelling it. Imp is like the dark twin of Fae -- the same wonderful peach note (REAL peach, not that awful fake scratch and sniff kind of peach!), but instead of being carried up on gossamer wings, Imp is playing in the dirt. The sweetness of the peach and amber are brought down to earth by the musk and patchouli, and it has that absolutely edible -- but NOT overly foody -- quality that I love in Depraved.

I would have to flip a coin to decide whether I want a full bottle of this, or Depraved. This one is a bit more complex and subtle, with amber weaving golden strands through the darkened peach. It is a bit on the sweet side for me -- I like how the patchouli comes more to the forefront in its cousin, Depraved. Imp may be playing in the dirt but his radiance burns through the darkness and glows with a soft light.

Very tasty -- it hangs around on my skin for a good few hours, and I wonder if maybe I might be attracting bees if I were to wear this outside in warm weather.

The White Peach is so soft and lovely! I'm a lover of patchouli, and this coupled with the musk give the Peach a spicey, heady, interesting twist. I don't find this cloying at all. Although it does have lasting power. I don't tend to slather at all, and a small amount lasted me all day. This will be a favorite!

[sampled from the lovely Darkitysnark's collection in a cafe with old men staring at us from the next table; one finally asked what was in all the little vials we were snorting. I said "perfume" only b/c I spoke before I thought; totally wish I'd said "crack"! :D ]

Imp smells like Depraved with peaches instead of apricots, which is a subtle but apparent distinction. *Much* darker-smelling than I expected--I think I focused on the "peach" and "playful" aspects, but I shown have known that between amber, musk, AND patchouli it would have some depth. A dark-gold imp, then, smirking and cavorting. More and more I realize I am not a fruity person, but if you are you will probably love this--it's a complex fruit with a "dark side" to it. :P

In the bottle- all amber and musk. I can't smell one bit of peach.

On my skin- an occasional bit of peach, but still mostly amber and musk. One of the most interesting things I've learned from BPAL is that my skin kicks up and amplifies amber and resin like nobody's business. And that's certainly the case here.

Wearing- now I'm getting patchouli in addition to the amber and musk. I'm finally getting some peach as well, but it's still faint and quivers behind the much stronger amber and patchouli.

After about two hours the peach finally amplified a bit, and I got a fairly good peach/amber mix. Unfortunately the peach was just a bit too sweet for me.

Unfortunately this scent just never quite worked for me in a "Wow, that's amazing" sort of way. It's a pleasant enough scent, but I think if my skin didn't do what it does to amber it would have been nicer for me.

Imp

Getting senile in my old age... I have no recollection of how I came across this little fella. I think it was a gimp from the lab... hm. Yes. That's what it was!

For some reason, most of the imps I've encountered previously were fairly light colored and similar in intensity (Tintagel, Wrath, Brimstone, and etc. notwithstanding). Imp and Kabuki came with my last order and boy howdy are these guys dark, imposing, and a little intimidating.

On with the review!

In the bottle:

Candied fruit. Having read the description I knew to think "peaches" but it could have also been the pruniness of Masabakes, or the thick dark cherry syrup of Kabuki I was detecting.

Wet:

Heavy, dark, I'm thinking tender peach slices that have been caramelized in a liqueur until they take on the darker hue of the cooking liquid. This is an extremely strong scent. Swipe with caution and a light hand!

Drydown:

This is either a very well blended oil, or I'm completely just getting the one note here (I'm going to lean toward the former). This is pretty much the same dark candied warm fruit from the wet stage.

Later:

It's just been a couple hours, but I don't think this one will morph... nor do I think it's going to fade anytime soon. This is a very assertive, solid, full bodied blend. It's a little too sweet for my tastes (I seem to go for slighty bitter notes like myrrh) but can understand why it garners such strong reactions.

Up for swaps he goes!

wow. Deeliciioooussss! I am definately not a big fruit person...more resins, incense, etc....but, whoa.

At first it is all peach, but not jolly ranchers peach, real peach. Then it starts to get spicy and a little earthy and I just can't help but adore it. The patchouli never gets really strong, just enough to make it nice and dark. I layered a little Depraved on top and it was sooo sweet and delicious.

I love this. Absolutely a 5 ml!

In the bottle: OK, this is going to sound bizarre, but this smells vaguely of cocoa in the vial. It's a tart and fruity cocoa, though, if you can imagine. Sweet, but deeply so, not candy sweet.

Wearing: Ah, a pleasantly pungent peach (forgive the alliteration). Peach, and...cedar? My nose has been smelling cedar all day. It must be the patchouli, but it doesn't smell like any patchouli I've ever smelled. Very woodsy, I like it a lot. And oddly, I want to eat my arm.

Later: This is mostly wood now, but still has some peachy tartness. Mmm.

Overall: This is an odd, contradictory scent. On one hand, it's dark and earthy, but on the other hand, it's bright and sparkly. Yet somehow it works. I very much like this and will definitely keep the imp.

I got Imp in a swap with Jasminepearls :P . I'm not much into fruity scents, but after trying Jack and Fae, I knew Beth's peach was really nice so I gave this a try. This is the same peach, not the artificial, cloying type you find in most perfumes, but a luscious, fuzzy, sun-ripened peach. Imp seems to have a base similar to Snake Oil, Vixen and Hunger so if you enjoy any of those, you might want to give this a try. It's not a favorite for me, but nice.

Wet: it smelled sickly sweet...almost medicinal. something sharp

Dry: White gold. Pure, warm white gold. I get a soft peach, not sweet, definitly amber...no patchouli though....its becoming kinda powdery on me.

Ill definitely use my imp of Imp..hehehe...dunno if ill get a larger bottle.

In the vial: Wow, the color on this one is DARK! which is interesting since the strongest smell i pick out is the peach. :P There is a bit of patchouli too, but thankfully it's not all that strong.

On: Ooh. I think I'm liking this one more than I thought I would when I read it had patchouli. Actually, I'm kinda really liking it. From my experience with O and hollywood babylon, I can definitely pick out the amber undertones now.. It's kind of messing with the patchouli, actually.. calming it down, as it were.

After a bit: The peach is all but gone, now.. I wish it hung around longer, but what's left still isn't bad. i like my fruity smells, though. I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can differentiate musks, though, so I'm at a loss as to if that's in there at all.

Verdict: Oh, how I hate that my skin disappears the top notes so very quickly. the first stage of this is so lovely! the remainder isn't bad, but the first is soooo nice that it just leaves a bit of a *hrmph* of dissapointment when it's gone.

ETA: erg. after having this one on for 5 hours, it's much more patchouli now.. definitely not diggin this phase, but if you haven't guessed, I'm not a big fan of patchouli.

Edited by harlequin

In the vial I can smell....a very slight hint of peach, and ALOT of incense.

On my skin it started to become slightly more wood based, but the incense was still shining through very strongly.

Ooo, I had to wash this off!! I suddenly started coughing alot, and my chest felt quite tight.

It might not have had anything to do with it, but I do feel a bit better now its off.

How strange!!