Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Voleuse

The Queen's Salon

No scent description available.

This is more of a traditional perfumey scent to my nose, a swirl of dried flowers and vanishing spices and hints of musk. As it dries, the sweet heaviness of the blend dissipates somewhat--there's something behind it that reminds me of rain.

I can't pinpoint the specific notes, but it's a heavy, velvety, warm scent. I want to say it's floral, but it's never quite floral enough to make me think of it in that way.

This is a beautiful, haunting floral with a barely clinging musk. Exactly the type of perfume that I can wear really well. It isn't overpowering or cloying, and it doesn't turn powdery on my skin.

I can't pick out all of the floral notes, but I do think there may be a light jasmine. The only reason I can pick that out is because jasmine is very distinct to my nose. But it isn't the main note and it doesn't amp up over everything else. The floral quality is ethereal and almost aged, but without a dryness that could lean towards musty. There is also a really gorgeous deep musk. Slightly spicy too.

I do feel like this is the one of the most ghostly perfumes I've worn. Like I said above it does have that eternal quality about it. But it is still sophisticated. The throw is strong and I've been wearing it since this morning without having to reapply. I know I say this a lot, but I can sincerely say that I really do love this one. I may keep it out on my dresser too (instead of storing it in my box) since I like the label art a lot.

When I first opened the bottle, I thought "Bloodrose?" It has a similar boozy rose smell to it. First on, there's a candyish flavor to it and after a bit it fades. But give it time, give it time! It blooms later as a musky, spiced floral.

A queen's salon indeed! Rich red velvet and old world spices. Regal and womanly.

Since my review is early in the thread I'll preface my summary by saying that whenever I am either taken by the concept of a scent or it triggers my own emotional response, I end up being unable to really distinguish otherwise identifiable notes. When that happens I still fumble around at trying to identify the notes but in the end I give picture to my overall scent impressions rather than the ingredients.

The Queen's Salon is a dreamy aquatic floral that brings to mind shades of glittering ruby and warmth. To contrast that, there are elements to this scent that bring to mind gauzy veils and white shafts of cool light filtering through dirty windows into a dusty and darkened room. I can almost hear distant music and see a flicker or two of candle flame. There is an overwhelming sense of the hope of beauty. And yet, as soon as I get caught up in the images and warmth, I go back to noticing the ghostliness of this, the coolness. I find it interesting that I get some warmth from a ghostly scent. What a nice duality.

There is a bright and elevating note in this blend that almost seems like red musk, but then I waver and wonder if it's plum combined with some other musk. Whatever it is, it's lovely.

I believe there is a small amount of jasmine in there, and possibly the tiniest bit of a rose. Heliotrope? Something else? I can't figure it out because I keep getting caught up in visual images rather than individual notes. I do know that the Queen's Salon reminds me a bit of The Haunted Palace, though without the orange. It almost reminds me of The Living Flame as well.

This is a breathtaking scent and concept. The aquatics and ozone combine with the florals and musk to create a gentle, floating, lilting quality. I give this 5 out of 5.

Edited by alicia_stardust

Okay, so I'm terrible at picking out notes but I had to review this since it's such a lovely unexpected perfume.

In the bottle: light, slightly fruity with a layer of spicey floral.

Wet: more floral, less fruity, very elegant, not too strong or heavy, but the spiciness is still there. I feel like I should be wearing this to a fancy dinner party or a charity event.

Drydown: the dreaded powder. It's not as powdery as some for me, and since pretty much everything turns to powder on me, it's better than most.

All in all, it's not something I'll wear every day, but I most definitely will break it out when I want to feel elegant and fancy!

It seems a heady, sweet aquatic floral to me. Though for some reason I think of white flowers - lilies and such, even though it doesn't smell like lilies to me.

I love the sweet and water notes, but on me the floral amps up, up, up!

Oh, this is a beautiful scent and I've fallen in love! As the above reviews describe, it's an aquatic floral that dries down to reveal a spicy and musky undertone. It's feminine, it's elegant, and it has wonderful staying power and throw. I adore it!

The Queen's Salon - Oh wow, this isn't what I expected at all! When I first apply this, it's a gorgeous floral with a strong sweetness about it. As it warms up on my skin, the floral is pushed into the background by an incredibly deep, sexy, and almost-foody musk. It becomes obvious that the initial sweetness I smell is actually the musk. alicia_stardust is dead-on with her comparison to The Haunted Palace and The Living Flame. I would also add that it's in the same family as Queen of Spades. It's so hard to describe this scent -- the ultra-sweet, velvety musk is dfinitely the strongest note on my skin, but I think I also smell plum, amber, a floral that may be heliotrope (?) and possibly rose and/or gardenia. It's just so hard to say since the musk pushes the other notes down on me. However, it's gorgeous, slightly powdery in the way I like, deep, rich, regal, and gorgeous. I really love it and will definitely wear this on truly special occasions when I want to feel like royalty.

in the bottle: musky deep florals something slightly fruity

wet: yes i believe it is a white floral, although i don't get jasmine...there isn't that rusty nail scent jasmine likes to do. it is mostly musk though, i am thinking red musk, but agree it could be a fruity maybe plum note mixed w/ a different musk, that is making me think red musk. it is definitely regal, and deep and dark, and even lush. reminding me of a deep, dark, royal purple velvet.

as this dries the florals burn off and it becomes a musky slightly spicy skin scent, very sexy and alluring. this is a definite keeper. i love it!

Of the two Bat's Day blends, this is by far my favorite! :P

It has elements of some of my die hard bpal smellies. I was reminded of the subtle Queen of Spades-ish plum wafts, also the musky floral aspects of Vasakasajja and there is also a spicy element to this scent too. It's beautifully blended and I'm interested to see how this one will age. Very happy to have my own bottle! If this scent were a color it would be mixtures of purple, burgundy, and creamy ivory. :D

On my skin, kind of a generic, low-throw yellow-floral perfume. ::shrug:: Florals and me were just not meant to be.

Queen's Salon reminds me of The Ecstasy of Infatuation: fruity-florally sparkly sweetness. It's a bit more perfume-y, which I could live without, but it's also more sophisticated and has a bit more throw. Queen's Salon plays the role of grown up, more confident sister to Infatuation's princessly enthusiasm.

I'm in loveeee!! I keep wanting to review this one. My best friend is getting married on the queen mary and I didnt realize this was the QM blend until later on. This smells soooo nice. I'm so happy that I purchased this one (duh who wouldn't pick up an LE at the Bats day market.) Thanks to the super nice lab workers who let us pick through all the goodies even though they were trying to close up to get to DL for the real fun.

In the bottle it smells like a deep sweet floral blast of yummyness supreme.

Wet on my skin I get a little bit more floral with a tiny bit of sugar sweetness underneath. It's almost like a flower flavor Kool-aid.

As it dries I get a sweet and deep floral musky scent wafting around. Not like lotus but more like a spicy floral. Maybe carnation? I should invest in SN's so I can pick out particulars :P

This scent is super rich and round. Very old timey. I would totally picture a regal blue blood from times past wearing this mishmosh.

As it dries down more I get more smokeyness with that lightly sweet flower musk floating around.

I feel like a dark princess in this one hehe.

Thanks to Gypsy Rose Red's generosity in starting up a couple of sniffing circle groups, I had the opportunity to try the Bat's Day scents.

The Queen's Salon is a beautifully blended floral musk - at first sniff it has a very strong generic cologne type of feeling...fortunately that burns off fast and the scent settles into the skin quite comfortably. The florals are most strong in the wet stages of application...since I was sampling sparingly, it didn't take long to get to the dry down and this is where the muskiness starts to become more prominent. I'm awful at notes, but I agree that there could be a light amber or possibly even sandalwood - whatever it's a wonderful compliment to the floral notes.

The Queen's Salon is a winning scent in my book. I would like to wear this one again! :P

edit because I'm a goober

Edited by moonarcana

Thanks to the lovely girlindenial for a sniffie of this. :P

In the imp: Floral, yellow and sophisticated vibe

On wet: Wow. I get a honey, and the visual is the thick, viscousness of honey.

On Drydown: Sophisticated, slightly aquatic floral. I can't pick out any individual notes. This is very well blended.

Verdict: Not what I was expecting at all. I'm really glad I got to try it. I can see why people go rabid over exclusive 'other' event scents. Wow.

In the imp: a sweet, wet, fruity aquatic.

On me, wet: lots of juicy, dark fruits and aquatics, with a musky, spicy floral in there too. This is a complex scent on my skin.

On me, dry: musky spiciness - is there spicy carnation in here? - and a sort of plummy tang. Gosh, this is awesome - and hard to come by, naturally.

Verdict: Oh, I think I'll be keeping my half-imp.

thank you to gypsyrosered for this decant circle...she is a dollikinz for doing this...

straight sniff from imp is perfumed hay...with a rosy touch

once applied this amps up in a hayooge way with loads of florals...

mind you i literally applied one teensy drop from the imp :D

heavy, duty florals with my chemisty :P

gah...this is most definitely not for me...the name sez it all i suppose...

i more of a jester in the king's court :D

no musk, no comparisons to any other blends...with maybe the exception

of mi-go...that was another floral that went haywire on me....

stooopid chemistry...

so grateful for the chance to review it !! xo

The Queen's Salon started out very promising. In the bottle and wet, it's spicy, musky florals with a hint of a juicy plum beneath. Yummy. Then it went downhill from there, it dries down to rose (my arch-nemesis). All rose, all the time :P. Why, oh why must you be cruel skin chemistry?

Though, every now and again, I get whiffs of the gorgeous plum note, maybe all is not lost after all. *Sniff*

Thank you Lunakitten! :P

This blend goes on with a floral scent dominating, and a kind of medicinal balm like smell underlying everything. As it sits for a moment, it picks up a sweet hay quality, and the medicinal scent fades away. Upon drying, this becomes a beautiful, sweet and juicy fruity floral with just a touch of darkness and spice to it. It drys to an elegant, velvety perfumey blend, and is really quite beautiful.

I got to try this thanks to the lovely Voleuse!

The Queen's Salon reminds me of jasmine or orange blossoms with something sugary- maybe a honey? It's definitely a floral type scent but not one that screams it at you. It's not for me (florals seldom are) but I'm really glad I got to try it!

Many, many thanks to SueDonyn for the sniffie of this and many thanks to tikiera for the swap – I absolutely love it!!!!! And to GypsyRoseRed for including me in her circle. :P

Ok, on to the review. Wow, this is a gorgeous deep dark floral. I’ve never smelled Queen of Spades so I can’t comment there, but when this is first applied, there is a plum-ish vibe to this and it smells purple to me. As it wears, the plum recedes and it changes. Even the mental color I get from this scent changes. Now it’s more a dusky, rich pink. I can smell rose in this – and from that respect it reminds me of Bearded Lady or even Beatrice. It’s got that smoothness that both of those scents have, plus a tiny bit of spice. I could believe there’s a touch of lily in here too. I could believe musk too, maybe even an Egyptian amber, but it’s subtle, subdued – adding more to a velvety impression of this oil. This reminds me so strongly of Bearded Lady – that sweet smooth rose. It’s beautiful and I’m so grateful that I have some to treasure.

Got this one in the sniffy circle also - :P

This blend sort of reminds me of a more floral version of The Unheavenly City in that it has some creaminess to it. There's a powder note with the flowers that reminds me of a powder box that I would find in a older ladies bathroom. Possibly some old floral perfumes. It's ok, not my cup of tea :D

I have to say that The Queen's Salon started out pretting promising to me when sniffed on the bottle.

Very complex, a floral with some dark undertones....

However, after 10 minutes and until drydown the rose in this took over the driver's wheel and ran the rest of the course. :D

Makes me mad. Just can't be any forgiveness from crazy skin chemistry! :P

QueensSalonSS.jpg

Many, many thanks to GypsyRoseRed for including me in her sniffing circle so I got the chance to try this scent. This is a very nice floral, with definite plummy undertones, and it goes on quite nicely. However, on the dry down, something else (ozone? some kind of weird aquatic?) comes out to play and thus begins another BPAL-headache, which not even the luscious, creamy rose notes can save me from. :P The strange note affects me so badly that I had to wash this off, and thus no more to review.

Oh well...the upside to this is that at least I won't have to get into bidding wars for more of this, LOL!

10/07/08: I've changed my mind! The ozone isn't as bad, now that the oil has aged a bit. I was gifted with a frimp decant of this, and based on the results, hunted down a bottle for myself on eBay. In fact, it was one sold by the Lab.

5/10/09: Half a year or so later, and this blend is one of my favorites now. The ozone strikes a teeny bit of a flash at first, but then settles down and the rose is what's left -- a watery, drowned rose which pulls at the heart and could induce tears if one wasn't concentrating on how good it smells!

Edited by stellans

The Queen's Salon is initially a fruity rose, somewhat reminiscent of Persephone except with a different, juicier fruit instead of pomegranate (identifying fruity notes is not my forte). I don't really get overtly aquatic notes from this scent, which is good because I tend to dislike aquatics.

Hours after the initial application, the floral, fruity and aquatic aspects have receded and resin and musk notes have emerged, giving the scent a much darker tone. I agree with growwild's comparison to Queen of Spades - the drydowns of both of these scents are similar on me and invoke a very proud, regal image.