Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Voleuse

Door 13

OMG I wish I could find a bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so rare for me to love a new scent. Of course I always fall for the HTF LEs.

This is clean, crisp, sweet and yes, ozony. I can barely pick out something metallic but I didn't even think of it til I read other reviews.

It's fresh and beautiful, not too much of anything and not too little of anything either. I picture a young girl, all gentle flowers and lolipops, walking through a cold, empty, lakeside park, with occasional sunbreaks warming her skin.

I would LOVE to smell this on a man; it's unisex, IMO. But don't take that for gospel cuz I have some weird taste!

Edited to Add:

I don't have to search high and low for Blue Moon 04 anymore, a holy grail, because this does the trick! Clean, sweet, fresh, open-aired, cold, breezy. Oh yeah!

Edited by djnevermore

DOOR 13

In Bottle: Clean sweet ozone

On Skin: Yum! This is an almost fruity ozone. Sweet and tasty… I swear I smell a little coconut (it’s sweet creaminess) in there… and maybe even cucumber (that nice wet crunch). I love it, so refreshing and crisp. It’s super light and fades quickly but provides a nice “lean in to smell” closeness. I have seen other people remark on the metallic note in this scent, but on me it is very much in the background and not harsh at all. Mellow yet invigorating, a unique scent for sure. This is a great everyday scent and I can see myself wearing this anytime. Other people have mentioned lemon as well, and I don’t get that here, at least not in the front. There is a slight citrus note but it isn’t sour and it isn’t strong, it’s hidden under the other layers. A gorgeous scent for sure. Very low throw and short to average wearlength.

OMG!!!!!!! I NEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD A BOTTLE OF THIS!!!!! This is my new favorite scent.

It's very feminine without being girly... a light aquatic floral that has just a tinge of sexy, spicey to it...

I wore this for the day but it could easily be a sexy night out perfume. It definately does have that metallic tang but in a delicate way.... it's like smelling filigree and floral.

I'm heading off to sell my soul for a bottle now... if anyone knows anyone looking for an extra soul, you now know my price!!!!

In bottle/imp: Very clean and crisp with a slight tea or citrus note.

Immediately on skin: There’s a strong ozone feel to this, but it’s a very crisp scent. It’s extremely well blended and just slightly sweet. There’s a touch of some musk, but it’s nicely blended with something light and fruity. This smells very unisex on me so far.

After a few minutes: This blend has morphed little; the crispness is still there, with some sort of citrus and light musk. There’s also a metallic tinge that I just now smell. It’s a bit green as well, in a very fresh cut-stems sort of way.

Overall Impressions: This scent is very atmospheric and unique; I would definitely get a bottle if it weren’t so darn sought after. It’s crisp, clean, and refreshing with this hint of something metallic and disquieting underneath. I can imagine this smelling great on a man or a woman. If you like more crisp scents that aren’t as much on the sweet side, you may enjoy Door 13.

Before trying this, I thought for sure it would smells similar to Bed of Nails, so I’m thrilled to finally be able to try this. Thanks GRR! :P

Wet: When first applied this smells like ozone and white musk. I put a dab of Bed of Nails on my other hand to compare and while they are similar, they are distinctly different. My first thought was that Door 13 was a combination of Bed of Nails and Buck Moon. It’s got a bit of an edge.

Dry: As it dries, it softens and sweetens. It has that sweet soft musk smell. It’s like the feminine counterpart of Bed of Nails if you will at this point. This is a very fresh smelling oil – airy, light, ethereal. There’s something there at the edges – mint or pennyroyal I think, but in very small quantities. As it wears on, I know for sure, this is nothing like Bed of Nails. It’s actually rather sweet. This has the musk that is in Buck Moon – smooth, velvety and almost a little coconut, and a bit of the ozone that’s in Thunderbird. At this stage, it is best characterized as lightly sweetened musk, some pennyroyal nearby, and thunder on the horizon in a dark evening sky.

As I smell it, it feels cooling to my nose, so I wouldn’t be surprised if something mentholated was included in here. It’s so strange, the sharpness of this scent seems to come and go as I smell it. Sometimes it’s there strongly, yet othertimes the sweet musk comes though more.

This is nothing like I expected (and not at all like Bed of Nails). I think it’s one my favorite “ozone, wait maybe not ozone” type-scents and I’m so glad that I got to try this.

eta: ok, in the drydown of Bed of Nails, there is something a bit more similar, but it took longer to get to in that scent. Door 13 is still softer, sweeter and fluffier though. but not as long lasting.

Edited by cranberry

Door 13

In the imp: a chilly, masculine, metallic, perfumey, citrus-herbal ozone.

Wet on skin: ack, generic man's perfume!

Dry on skin: I should have known…it's a metallic scent, so naturally it turns to sporty deodorant on me. This smells much too generic for my liking, I'm afraid. It does remind me of a man's perfume-not sure if it's Cool Water or CKOne or something-but it's very cologne like, a fresh scent of green masculine notes and ozone. However, I smell this more and it becomes more interesting…it is chilly and cold and I do get the 'feel of icy metal upon skin' feel from this, and I also get something almost like that shuddering feeling of biting metal foil. It is like clean steel with a hint of electric ozone to it, but I still smell manly perfume here.

After a while: now this smells like Lightning. Maybe a little more perfumey, a little less crackly, but definitely with a touch of harsh, metallic, electric ozone to it. it still smells of generic sporty body spray, but now the 'electric' side of the ozone is starting to surface, and that is not good news.

It doesn't go into the fully electric 'office appliances' scent that I dislike so much, but it does still smell like men's cologne with a little hint of steely ozone…maybe also a hint of washing powder. But definitely perfumey. It now resembles a less floral version of Kataniya. The scent goes into a clean laundry scent at drydown, which isn't bad.

Verdict: this is not my kind of scent at all. It seems there are two types of metallic scent in BPAL, the metallic notes which are nice on me (a lot of them are the 'bloody' metallic scents, actually) and some that turn to pure generic sporty perfume on me. This is the latter. It smells just like one of those sports deodorants, with an added spark of electric ozone, another one of my nemesis notes. The drydown is a lot more interesting, that's when I smell the metal note smelling more metallic, cold and almost threatening, with a tingle of electricity. The scent smells mechanical and chilly, and very clean. There are hints of floral and citrus to it as well. but overall, I'm not keen on this, it smells too mainstream at the beginning, and winds up smelling too ozoney. I sold this one off.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? no.

This is an amazing scent. It's a slightly fruity, clean air scent. It just smells GOOD. Unfortunately, it fades so fast and has hardly any throw. But it's very pleasant while it's around.

I was lucky enough to get an imp of this from an online friend.

In the imp, it smells like strong clear florals and pretty much stays that way after applied on skin. After 30 mins or so the florals thin out and a certain light sweetness appears. Overall, it's non-girly florals with a hint of cologne for me. I was hoping for cold/metallic edges but i absolutely love this as well. I'd LOVE to get a bottle of this if i could :P

This starts out very clean citrus and develops an aloe/linden/linen impression. I love this one, it's up there with Spirits of the Dead as a light daytime favorite. It's one of those where you just smell good while wearing it and don't clobber innocent bystanders with noticeable perfume or bakery smell.

I really wasn't sure I'd like this one, but curiosity got the better of me. I'm glad it did.

Ozone scents are not usually for me. This one is different. Out of the imp I get a sniff of gently sweet -- almost fruity? -- ozone. On my arm, it immediately goes slightly powdery -- almost everything does -- but fortunately I like powder, and this is an ever-so-sweet but /fresh/ powder. After a little bit, this becomes light ozoney cologne and linen.

I can see the comparisons to men's cologne, and I don't usually like scents this unisex. But I think this would be lovely in the warm summer, on those days when I feel like something a little less obviously feminine. I like it, and for now it stays in my collection.

First sniff: Clean, crisp, and just a little powdery.

Wearing: A lovely rainwashed-air scent, pale and wispy and beautiful.

Bright effervescent green.....is how this starts out. Then it goes straight to men's cologne....not a fan....but initially it's quite beautiful.

Sniffed: Extremely pale, nearly colourless yellow oil. Fresh, crisp, a little biting. White amber. Ozone. Definitely a strong metal note, and also a warm/spicy/foody note.

Wet: Softer, gentler. A little less of that sweet note I can't place, which is more creamy here - coconut? White tea makes this slick and clean. Quite cologney on the whole. Reminds me of Iron Phoenix.

Dry: Going herbal, and the tiniest bit soapy. More resiny white amber. More floral too- gardenia? A green, aquatic vibe that makes me think aloe and/or cucumber. The citrus I get could be lime rind. I'm glad someone else got coconut because I kept thinking I was crazy.

Later: Going more salty-aquatic, that could be the gardenia though on my skin. The ozone holds very nicely. White musk emerges and amps. Someone found this similar to Bed of Nails - I agree! I also agree with the CK One comparisons.

Summary: Loads of white musk, white tea, muted citrus peel, white amber, gardenia, light ozone and tangy metal, with cool green notes and a slightly foody creamy note. Low throw, great longevity.

Nice, but the slight hint of coconut puts me off and on the whole I just find this rather generic. Final drydown reminds me of Dia, actually. I prefer Torture Queen in this scent category.

I ended up with an imp of this in a swap--it's fantastic! I am a big fan of the Lab's metal note, but in many blends it has a tendency to amp up on me and get too masculine (I had this problem with Tin Phoenix and to a lesser extent with Phosphorus). This is the second blend after Metal Phoenix to dodge that bullet; in fact, it's very reminiscent of MP to me. A nice, subdued Lab-metal softened by--my nose is bad for this stuff but there's a slight creaminess tempering the metal-sharpness, possibly musk? A hint of floral behind that? It's very much like a less sweet Metal Phoenix, without being astringent. Lovely. There is possibly the tiniest hint of lemon/citrus/verbena in the creamy way that I also get out of Albedo v.5. The longer this stays on, actually, the more it reminds me of Albedo with added metallic, as it softens up.

Overall, I do prefer MP a bit for the added sweetness and longevity, but this is another fantastic metal-ozone blend which is clean and fresh and just a tiny bit sweet without being masculine or astringent.

In the vial this has a bright and woodsy sort of scent, with lovely light florals, like a walk in a beautiful forest filled with clean, crisp and sparkling things. On my wrist it deepends and darkens and a citrusy scent emerges from within the beautiful florals, as if finding a lemon tree in a shaded part of the forest. After a few hours of brightening of the scent, it continues to smell clean and lovely, with less floral and citrus, but it remains delicately sweet with hints of ozone coming through.

I got an imp of this in a swap years ago and finally got around to giving it a try. When the oil is wet, it makes me think of Tempest/Szepassony/other scents in the clean, sweet water family. As it dries, a eucalyptus scent emerges and then a mint, and it is very much like Snow-Flakes. As the eucalyptus fades, there's a creamy scent that backs up the mint that strengthens the Snow-Flakes resemblance, although in Snow-Flakes, the creaminess is a bigger part of the scent. The creaminess, which is always a rather faint part, dies away and leaves the mintiness.

I was really worried because at first I got Downey drier sheets, but as soon as this went on my skin, it became a bright citrus ozone. It is very light, but is a sharp and heady light. It doesn't seem very floral to me, but I can see how some folks might think so. It has a metallic edge to it, like the way your hands smell after you've held pennies and is just a totally yummy, crisp scent.