Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
JennyGardener

Owl Baby Night Scents

My Little Crow (21 months) is a night owl, and always has been. I am most decidedly not. I don't mind if he plays quietly beside me in bed, but he seems to prefer kicking and bouncing instead. Does anyone have a recommendation of a BPAL blend (I'm thinking perhaps something in the sleep collection) that would nudge him towards settling down? I'd love to scent his pillow with nice smelling stuff that also makes him drowsy. :P And I can scent my nursies with it, too, so he associates the smell with peacefulness and good things...

Already tried Temple of Dreams, but that just made him mutter things like "tractor" and "airplane" in his sleep. And thrash about before waking up. Guess he had some intense dreams.

We're in process of transitioning to a "trundle bed" and away from so much night nursing, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Little Crow also wants to be scented now, and I'm sure he'd like his own special blend to try on just like Mommy and Sister.

I remember a friend saying they loved putting Baku on their son(s) (now I can't remember if it was the baby or the toddler or both).

We moved just before Tartlet turned one, and I used Panacea: Safari to help ease the transition from snug apartment to creaky old house... it's lavender-based, and so helped I think with getting back to a sound sleep despite lots of new noises. I dabbed a bit on his little sheep lovey, and on my shirt when we nursed.

(OT: yay extended nursing & co-sleeping!)/AP-hooray hijack

Now that we're facing a transition to group daycare & a big boy bed in the next few months, I'm turning more to calming scents that don't necessarily mean sleep, per se. Sudha Segara is what I put on at night when I'm feeling restless & out of synch, so I think we'll start with that, or perhaps White Rabbit - sweet, but light scents. There's a thread somewhere on BPAL & kidlets, and I remember Dragons Milk being referenced a lot.

For night-time, TKO is a beautiful lavender-vanilla, but it is very concentrated! I'd use it sparingly for a toddler...

My go-to comfort scent is Antique Lace, it's a warm and snuggly vanilla hug.

While I don't have any kidlets of my own, I suspect vanilla might be calming for the wee ones.

For night-time, TKO is a beautiful lavender-vanilla, but it is very concentrated! I'd use it sparingly for a toddler...

One drop of TKO on the pillow really helps my 3 1/2 year old on tough nights. Only problem is when I tuck him in I am tempted to stay in there, it's so cozy. :P

I don't have any children either but have nieces, nephews, godchildren and many other beloved kids in my life... when I think back to babyhood TKO definitely strikes a chord. As others have mentioned, it's predominantly lavender and vanilla and the variety of vanilla in it seems extra sweet and sugary - it's very comforting. I find Old Scratch a little similar to TKO although it doesn't have a sedative effect for me (yes, put some Devil perfume on your baby! :P ) But seriously, the lavender, vanilla & patchouli in OS are light and mellow, and if you find TKO too intense for the little one, this one could be a good alternative. I echo the recommendation of Safari as another good lavender blend, and Quietude is gorgeous if you tire of lavender.

With a baby or toddler, I think I might lean towards making a sachet or a linen & room spray, or maybe putting a few drops in a nice jojoba or almond oil for bath or after bath, especially using those super-strong Panacea blends.

I'd also recommend TKO. It's such a lovely, sweet scent, I think a toddler would really like it. And it certainly knocks me out!

My son (4) loves when I put Baku on him at bedtime (he calls it his "sweet dreams oil"), and I think the ritual also helps him settle in.

Something else to try is find an oil your son really likes, and use that. My daughter loves The Unicorn, so I make her a linen spray from it, which she keeps by her bed.

One drop of TKO on the pillow really helps my 3 1/2 year old on tough nights. Only problem is when I tuck him in I am tempted to stay in there, it's so cozy. :P

Sorry to have to ask ... but what is TKO? I can't find it using the forum's search engine (that three-letter word thing?) and searches for "vanilla" and "lavender" on the Lab's Web pages didn't turn up a likely candidate. I've been using a "No Bad Dreams" spray with my DD as part of her bedtime ritual. It's a cinnamon hydrosol/lavender EO blend in a pretty cobalt blue bottle. I think a vanilla-lavender combo would be even nicer.

Sorry to have to ask ... but what is TKO? I can't find it using the forum's search engine (that three-letter word thing?) and searches for "vanilla" and "lavender" on the Lab's Web pages didn't turn up a likely candidate. I've been using a "No Bad Dreams" spray with my DD as part of her bedtime ritual. It's a cinnamon hydrosol/lavender EO blend in a pretty cobalt blue bottle. I think a vanilla-lavender combo would be even nicer.

It's one of the Panacea blends - Elixir IX: TKO

Yes, well, Little Crow already is a little boy in his odor - sweat and dirt and a vague hay scent from playing in the weeds. Or sometimes, it's a mulchy leaf smell from playing in the woods. There's a very unique scent that is little-boy sweat, but I usually find it mixed with dirt. I'm intrigued by the idea of TKO. I might just have to gets me some. By all means, continue with the suggestions! I'm sure I'm not the only one with a night-owl toddler.

Most of the good sleep recs have already been made, but now my imagination is wandering through recommendations of a special scent for a little boy. But after reading the sweat-and-dirt-and-hay description, I realized what it has to be: Coyote! Coyote smells like the great outdoors, and is light and gender-neutral enough that it's not going to smell like he's been bathing in dad's cologne or something. I think it would be perfect.

Sign in to follow this