Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

In the imp: Excessively wild and manly. I knew this would not be going on my person. I gave it to my husband. He wanted to test it right away. So here's what happened...

Upon application: I smelled his arm and immediately thought of that smell at the vet's office when a male dog's anal gland is emptied. A combination of poo and musky mandog juices. Ugh. I told my husband that I did not want to smell his arm again and suggested that he wash his arm, but in the name of scent-testing, I retracted my request.

Dry-down: My husband, not a compulsive arm-sniffer when testing new scents, kept sniffing his arm. We had gone out to eat and I was a little concerned that someone might think he'd browned his shorts. Since I was eating, I refused to smell his arm, even though he assured me that it was "mellowing." Once we were done eating, I agreed to take a whiff. To my surprise, I picked up a nice spicy, clove/cinnamon smell, followed up by the olfactory aftershock of the poo-like smell.

A couple of hours later: First and most prominent notes are the earthy, spicy smells, followed by that warm musky/civet smell, which to me says "wild animal poo." If a man wore this while in the woods, he would be ravished by opposums and racoons. But in fairness, my nose is ultra-sensitive to civet and warm/red musk, and what doesn't work for me may drive many people postively mad with desire. My husband can't smell it and he likes Satyr. He might wear it on days when I'm not around.

valentina :P

so, this is civet? hmm. it certainly is strong. it smells wild, like a sweaty animal. there’s also a spicy sweet undertone of clove or anise. this reminds me of a hotter, sweatier black annis. i had to wash it off because i didn’t want to go to work smelling like a goat. it’s really too strong for me, but i’ll try it on my man later.

Soft, masculine amber to start this was deep, strong, and distinctly male but oddly dried down to a powder on me. I didn't get any civet or even really very much musk before this was just gone. Fortunately I was more testing this just for fun so off to swaps it goes.

Bottle: He says: citrus and burning. I say: Spicy, Smokey musk, tart like citrus a bit, reminds me of an incense shop.

HIS:

Him, Wet:sweetens up a bit, pipe-smoke citrus.

Drying: Musky vanilla citrus, has something that smells like an incense shop, too.

Dry: Oooh, gets very spicy (clove, I think) musky, still hint of vanilla. After about 4 hours, it's less spicy, more mellow, but still a spicy musk. Slight hint of powder on his skin.

Overall: I think it smells like wrath without the big red fake candy smell, and improved with musky incense. He thinks it smells like old people, so he won't be wearing it.

HERS:

Me, wet: spicy clove/anise with tinge of dirty civet. Almost medicinal--kinda 'old peopley" on me, actually, so I finally understand what he was trying to say.

Drying. I think the clove is going very antiseptic, which makes him think of nursing homes and hospitals, then the civet brings to mind dirty people in hospitals.

I keep getting whiffs of it, and though I normally love spicy scents, this clove is so antiseptic on my skin that I can almost feel my tongue going numb.

Overall, it really is too manly for me, and I washed it off in about an hour. I think if hubby hadn't polluted my mind to think of hospital beds, I would've just considered it spicy incense musk, but he has tainted it for me. It is a warm scent, though, and I can see some people really liking it. Also, for the record, I thought it smelled GOOD on HIM, so he and I have agreed to disagree….Neither of us really got strong civet out of it, though, and I think that's a positive.

In the bottle: Uh oh. Is that civet? Also musk, spicy and dark, if the civet isn't there I'll probably love it.

First on: Nope, that's definitely civet, and already I'm smelling like spoilt milk. I can still pick up a hint of the original scent, but it's mostly just civet.

Drydown: Dear god, I can smell this from far away, and it makes me want to vomit. Had to wash it off. :P

In bottle: It literally smells like smoke and incense. Smoke. Smoke! How?

Wet: Smoke, smoke smoke...and a little bit of incense. Something candyish is coming out.

Dry: Smoke and candy. It's a little too sweet and def. too smoky for me.

In the Bottle: Tons of incense and spice, a bit of musk, a whiff of smoke, and some floral, a bit of citrus. This has everything but the kitchen sink, it seems! Except evil myrrh?

Dry: This literally smells like burning incense. Not just incense on the air, this literally smells on fire. It's truly very damn cool!!! It's way too masculine for me, obviously (it was a frimp), but I am going to see what this does on the Man.

Satyr is quite a surprise, and a sexy, heavy one at that! I would definitely like to try this on Turboman - his first taste of bpal! But on me, I do so adore it!

I love heavy, sweaty masculine scents, and this one fits the bill perfectly! I feel a bit feral and wild, and smell of it too...this one is very strong, a dab'll do, and I imagine the imp will last me until I can get my hands on a bottle.

Wet: definitely get the musky civet smell that others are getting, but undercut with the cinnamon scent.

Dry: The civet is still there, but the throw is much more of a warm earth scent, if I sniff closely, I get the clove scent sweetening the blend.

This one is definitely up for a big bottle order...

Satyr:

In the bottle: light, but sandalwood-y

Wet: Yes, definitely sandalwood, but lightenend sweetened tempered with something.

Drydown: Hm. Light, and very sandalwood-y. Not something I'd be likely to wear, nor something I'd go crazy with my boyfriend wearing it.

Conclusion: sell

Update: DEFINITELY sell; it started to prickle suspiciously like lilac (which I'm painfully allergic to) just a few minutes after I wrote my conclusion

Edited by Ankhet

This was a frimp from the lab, Thank you lab!

This blend is incredibley aptly named, on first sniff I definitely smelled goat. On my skin the goat got a bit sweeter and started smelling of horse apples/barnyard. I don't mean that in a bad way, actually, I like the way that barnyards and horses smell, but it's not something that I would feel comfortable wearing.

I'd love to smell it on a man; it's a very rugged, sexual, animalistic oil, but since there are no men like that in my life right now, it's off to the swaps.

In the imp: Spicy and ... is that a horse barn I smell? Egad, this stuff is feral.

On, wet: Well, the cinnamony, clove-y, gingery sort of note would be great if only it weren't for the horse-goat smell. I guess that's civet? I like horses and goats, and I don't mind the smell ... just not on me.

Drydown: I'm sorry to admit that I didn't make it through the drydown. :P The animalic notes were just too strong, and too persistent. And they seem to be sticking around even after the wash-off. Oh dear. At least I didn't put much on.

This is going to the swap/sale pile, I fear. Hopefully there's a guy out there for whom it's dead perfect. I think, though, that I can safely say that my Acqua di Parma-loving husband would run away from Satyr, screaming all the way.

Edited by hangingfire

In the bottle - Dark musk and cloves.

Wet on me - Dragon's blood resin? Dark and murky, but with a sweeter edge to it.

Dry on me - This dries down to that lush, dark wet, spicy finish I associate with Hollywood Babylon and Blood, there is also the occassional waft of something metallic, which I would guess is the civet. on the whole I (like so many before me) was pleasently surprised by this blend.

Ouch---well, I found what I thought was impossible----an odor as bad as Czernobog. It *has* to be the civet, if I've nailed it down right. This imp smells like the breath of a horse who's been snacking on garlic, coffee and poop.

So that's two now that have civet and make me sick. I'll be staying clear away from civet from now on. This oil is anything but sexual to me. *shivers*

Ouch---well, I found what I thought was impossible----an odor as bad as Czernobog. It *has* to be the civet, if I've nailed it down right. This imp smells like the breath of a horse who's been snacking on garlic, coffee and poop.

So that's two now that have civet and make me sick. I'll be staying clear away from civet from now on. This oil is anything but sexual to me. *shivers*

Yep. What Trin said. The only thing I'll add to this is that my horse was chewing bubblegum, too. :D There is a fruity candy note underneath it all but it's just not strong enough to overpower that evil civet, which comes across as horse manure in this blend. It's dark and far from pretty. :P

satyr is :P and i am in :D

wet it is sweet dragonbloody animalic musk, with some spicyvanilla!undertones

luckily it's not actually dragon's blood on me, which goes somewhere bad and nauseatingly heady on my skin. Instead this scent is a deeply animalistic musk, sexy, yet soft and velvety and a bit woodsy.

I tend to do well with masculine/unisex, and SL Muscs Koublai Khan is one of my absolute favorite perfumes, so this scent--which is in the same family although with a headshoppy spice-sandalwood sweetness not found in mkk--had a great chance on me anyways. floral-feminine lovers probably won't do well (unless they're really into indoles).

The instant I open the imp, I'm assaulted by civet. This one smells a lot like Czernobog out of the imp - cleaning products and poo. This isn't a good sign, but I always try anyway.

On my skin - it's spicier than Czernobog, but that can't save it. I have yet to try a civet blend that doesn't make me smell like I've been rolling around in the dung heap (and frankly, I don't think it's a matter of chemistry, as I've smelled civet-based blends on other people, and still think it smells like poo - I think I just plain don't like it, period!).

Not for me, obviously! :P

...This is a disgusting review and I'm very sorry.

This was the DARKEST perfume imp I've ever seen. When I dabbed a tiny bit onto my finger - and a tiny dab of this goes a very long way - all I could think of was menstrual blood on a heavy flow day. Oddly, the smell, from wet through to drydown, remained rather evocative of that to me. That heavy, wet, primal musk smell you get.

To put it on a brighter note, such blood is sometimes used in voodoo ritual and for a love potion manly musk, I suppose that would quite possibly be beneficial for it to look/smell this way in this case. If you can wear a OH MY GOD, WHO LEFT THE BARN DOOR OPEN musk, go for it.

In Bottle: Musk and civet.

On Skin: A feral scent which may bug some people. The civet seems to be top note. I am thinking it’s a little too animalistic and primal. I’m afraid my cat may hump my wrist (sorry for the visual). There is a little cinnamon or something sweet and spicy like cloves. This is a masculine scent for sure, not gender neutral at all. After a while it goes kind of foul. I’m not even wanting my husband to try this, it’s a little creepy smelling like a wild animal…

Ahh, this is a sexy men's scent. I definitely detect some civet, which is fine with me because I love civet. It has this really nice spicy fell to it. Maybe cinnamon and clove? There may also be some lovely, deep incense notes to it. Satyr has a ton of throw, and lasting power as well. I really hope my man loves this, because I sure do and I really want him to wear it, like every day! Great one :P

Crap!

I want to like civet. I like it in theory... yet I can't get it to work in practice.

I tried this one on me and also the boy, with similar results.

It starts out with a delicious, spicy smell which almost resembles a masculine snake oil... we start to like it... then just when I least expect it, it turns to poo!

and the poo smell is hard to wash off, too.

It makes me think of the movie Anchorman, and the perfume that Will Ferrel's character wore in it that made everyone faint... SEX PANTHER!

Edited by lux

I LOVE this! I love civet to start with and the combination of civet with spice and incense is absolutely gorgeous! It smells wonderful on me too! This one goes on the order very soon. Wonder why it took so long to try it? I've had the imp forever. Maybe my chemistry is weird - but this one is a keeper!

This is everything I hoped Puck would be..

Civet apparently works on me.. whereas the Moss note in Puck soured that blend for me pretty quickly.

In the bottle I was nervous about how Animal it smelled.. but put it on me and let the amber warm up and this this quickly became a nuzzling scent.. one of those Up Close and Personal Scents.

A scent Im going to enjoy wearing.. and going to enjoy other people enjoying me wearing.

:D

We used to have two pet goats. Hybrids between the mini-goats and regular size ones. I am not kidding when I say that this smells VERY close to what they smelled like when it first goes on. The were both neutered but there was still a definite goat smell. This oil is the smell of them when I brushed them or petted them. Another amazing feat of scent re-creation from the lab. I'm getting clean goat, with some sweet smelling hay in the background, like the lean-to where they slept. It's getting softer and warmer as time goes on. Can't wait to try this on my husband :P

I thought people were exaggerating in the reviews. For that, I apologize :D I think that wearing this perfume will be great for confusing the holy hell out of people. Heh. Also great for getting in touch with your feral side. It's a little scary, like Black Annis. Thumbs up to this one!

Unless I am much mistaken, this will be my first try with a scent containing civet. There's been a strong division on this one, so let's see how my skin handles it.

In the bottle - This is going to sound incredibly whacky, but it smells like a Coca-cola in the metaphysical store I used to go to all the time. *ogles* Musky Coke with incense. That's exactly what I'm getting...

Wet - I'm wearing a bottle of Coke! EH?!

Drying - Okay, I think the civet is coming out now, although that soda smell is still there. It's getting that musky sweat scent that guys get when they're out in the woods all day. Only this male is carrying an open cola. (Does anyone know what I mean by that? You know, that strong tang that hits your nose when you smell a Pepsi? Or am I just a weirdo? :D )

Dry - ...I smell like a ferret. :P Or a pet shop, whichever you prefere. Yeek.

Overall - So, I don't think the civet likes me, because I have to say, this is terrible on me. I can tell there are some other notes in there (cedar and vanilla coming to me most strongly), but the association with animals is a little too strong for my tastes.