Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

Satyr! I love the mythology behind the Satyr, and I read somewhere also that Satyr is like a masculine Snake Oil. Scents are incredibly different on everyone's skin, it amazes me every time I read these reviews. I AM IN LOVE WITH SATYR, and being a female and having this work on me according to the reviews are few and far between. I originally bought it for someone else as an imp to try and I loved it so much I went with a 5 mL!

In the bottle: VERY sharp and green, but a hot green, I'm not sure on the individual notes because I am still learning them...somebody mentioned civet? I don't get any cinnamon or spice/red from this scent...its just again...a 'hot' green. Sharp and green though, and very heady initially. It has a quality to it, what I would dub 'green vanilla' because its smooth under the masculinity. If I could pick a movie this scent reminds me of...it would be something dark and fantastical, but older. Like Legend or Nightbreed.

On skin: Almost completely similar to the bottle smell, only much less heady as it dries. It still has a sharp quality to it, but it being smoothed over by that 'green vanilla' again. It is what I would imagine a Satyr's leather vest to smell like...alongside the green it almost has a sexy leather quality to it.

Drydown: Nearly the same all the way through, though the initial green (again, civet?) calms down significantly. Its still there but less sharp on the nose. This is such a sensual scent. I will always have a 5 mL of this on hand...LOVE IT! This was once of those scent experiences where I opened the bottle, put it on and instantly fell in love. :wub3: :wub3: :wub3: :wub3: :wub3: :wub3:

Bottle: Spicy red musk and patchouli. Maybe red sandalwood. Definitely red... and earthy.

Wet: Red, earthy and animalic. Patchouli and musk. Is that civet? I think so. I don't find the civet unpleasant at this stage. It's sweet but not sharp, and balanced by the spice. Cinnamon and nutmeg (maybe even a little allspice) come out. All the sex things.

Dry: My skin amps the animal stuff as this dries, throwing musky civet to the front. At the same time, it turns more pee-like. For this mood of a scent, I'll reach for Snake Oil or something else instead.

May the civet treat you better.

I get a mix of cinnamon, civet and some sort of red musk/sandalwood from this scent.
Wet my skin amps the civet and it is wild and animalistic, but as the oil dries it softens and smells like a barely domesticated wild animal. Warm and comforting theres a hint of leather. I definitely love my bottle of this, and find that it has ample throw.

Wet: Cinnamon hot hearts! Whoa! Like, a lot of cinnamon, very sweet, with something musky and animalic underneath. Weeeeiird. But sort of appealing?

Dry: Sweet, soft cinnamon. On me, it's actually pretty similar to Sin without the patchouli. I actually don't find it at all masculine, but very unisex. I do like it, but I think I like Sin better, and they're too similar for me to justify having both.

In the imp this is definitely green and brown. Maybe some patchouli, definitely some musk. In the imp, i can't make out any super distinct notes other than patchouli and an unidentifiable muskiness.

On my skin, this is heavenly. It's a very feral smell, in the way that i wanted Ravenous to be feral ( i cannot do orange blossom at all). There's a wine/red musk note in here, and a lot of indolic notes that keep me sniffing the spot where i applied it. I believe there's red patchouli in this too, which is what drew me to Ravenous in the first place. It's dank, but not brown-dank. There's also incense here- dry, almost smokey church incense- like frankincense, myrrh, and benzoin. perhaps some cassia bark, but not a ton. ugh. Fabulous.

I don't think this smells particularly masculine on me, and it's almost a little perfume-y. If i had to categorize it with another non-GC scent, I'd say its similar to The Thales Eclipse, but sans leather and with civet/ambergris instead of castoreum.

I will definitely use this imp, and probably buy a bottle. I say probably because it's very similar to The Thales Eclipse, which i do have a full bottle of and needs time to age.

In the imp: Very musky with some spice. I think it might be a combination of red and brown musks.

Wet: This is musk dominant with some spice. I think it's like a spice-riddled Smut. It has that grape-y, dark musk in it, for lack of a better description.

Dry: I'm mainly just getting that dark, grape-y musk intertwined with some spice.

Verdict: I wasn't a fan of Smut and don't like type kind of musk on me, so I'll be passing on my imp, but this was better than I thought it would be from the imp.

I'm pretty sure Satyr is just a use case that proves that I like pretty much any musk. This doesn't smell like any musk I've worn before; there's the black musk (always a favorite) and brown musk (delicious) and red musk (what really makes Snake Oil sing on my skin) but this is a whole 'nother critter. I almost want to say that the musk that's in this isn't even present in Creature Feature? (Though my Creature Feature is from 2009 and my bottle of Satyr is fresh from the lab 2018, so that might have age factor involved.) I get where people are coming from when they say "hot green musk" but it's hard to describe beyond that--it's got a spice to it, a vigor, a sexiness, but it's impossible to pick out individual notes. Which is kind of a shame, because I'd LOVE to find other scents with these notes! I could imagine a strong clean floral making this more feminine, or leather overtop this musk to really amp up the masculinity--I think this would layer really well with other scents, but it sings beautifully all on its own. This has decent throw and longevity, too. It's always awesome to find another GC you love. Definitely one I'll be reaching for!

Definitely get patchouli and red musk up front, and as it dries some spice (maybe cinnamon or clove?) Spicy and dark, and the patchouli doesn't go wonky on me. But a little heavy over all for me.

Based on imp ordered circa 2015.

In the Imp: Rich and deep, not an inherently woody scent. Stronger on amber than musk, and with a hint of incense. Impressions of strength and forthrightness.

5 to 10 minute dry down: Very resinous, giving an impression of crispness and sharp edges. Despite that, I'd consider it tame and almost polite on the skin; not a wild forest man, but a businessman or executive.

1 hour: Remains surprisingly polite! A very blended woodsy-amber tone, without distinct notes. In drier areas like the inner elbow, hints of something more animal and wild come out, as if the businessman was a little wild and his youth, maybe he has a few tattoos hidden under that suit.

Overall, it's solid, but not a particular favorite.

First Sniff: Woodsy and masculine. Balsam and maybe a touch of cedar.

Initial Wet Application: Musky in a good cologne sort of way. There’s also a softness to this, which I didn’t expect.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): It’s...fading? This got lighter during the dry down but was still mostly the same: handsome mountain man cologne. Once it dried completely, there was the faint note of the lab’s leather underneath it all.

My Reaction: This was definitely masculine and woodsy, so not really something for me, which I expected. I sort of got the impression of fur, but not in the way I was hoping. More a slightly piney, freshly oiled leather hide that a freshly showered lumberjack might wear. A little too fancy for your typical woodsman, but masculine and of the forest. However, I bet it would smell great on my husband!

Rating: 2

Wet: Patchouli Earth. Very wet and green and appropriate for the namesake.

Dry: It starts to feel less "Wet" and is more of a dry patchouli and earth and maybe an occasional hint of cinnamon?

This is a dead ringer for Anne Bonny. They're nearly the same but this one is just a teeeensy bit grittier if you really get in there and huff... Maybe the civet people keep mentioning. I don't get any pee, and I'm disappointed!

No, not really. I've had accidental (I HOPE) lab pee before and it was certainly an experience (what's up Moon Goddess...).

Anne Bonny is listed as red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense, though I'd wager the frank was subbed with something else here. Wet, it had a heady nag champa waft (very enjoyable), but as it dries it's going to that same exact sweet/spicy place that red musk (really "red" anything) goes on me.

It wears down super fast like Bonny does. Though I did notice after wearing it all day I kept getting gentle barely-there wafts of something very sexy and delightful like smoky nag champa/wood incense.

I liked this blend and will keep it even if it did not cover totally new ground for me.

Fenris Wolf is another great "red" blend that fans -- or almost-fans -- of Satyr might want to try. Similar profile. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

I also cannot believe I've not reviewed Satyr before. I definitely have opinions about Satyr based on memory. Let's see how accurate. 

In the imp: Delicious red musk. A touch of something woodsy, but it's only a touch, so I can't get closer. 

On my skin:

Wet, it is also delicious red musk, now with a touch of something spicy. As it dries, still wonderful red musk, with now more than a touch of something that's spicy and woodsy. I can't strictly call it. If you told me there was a bit of black pepper in here, I wouldn't be surprised. 

With time, it fades to something warm and woodsy, threaded through with red musk. It's very nice, though probably a little more conventionally masculine than my personal red musk tastes bend. 

I had thought red musk when I first sniffed it in the imp, but I don't like red musk very much, and I didn't really feel like it came out on me. Instead, it mostly just smelled like a sweet cinnamon and not much else for most of its life. Once it got to the base notes, the spice faded. It was still sweet and had grown faintly musky, kind of a clean musk if that makes any sense. Almost vanilla?

It's kind of a quiet scent on me, but nice.

Edited by Nightmare

Red musk, dragon's blood, cinnamon, patchouli, and the faintest, faintest hint of evergreen. If you like Sin or Bloodlust, you'll like this. Almost a dead ringer for both of those.

Satyr:

In the imp: a nice combination of green notes and spicy resins.

Wet: A familiar, warm smell that I can’t quite put my finger on. Amber/incense maybe? The greenness I detected in the bottle is gone.

Dry-down: An earthy, spicy fragrance that almost feels like winter holidays. Ginger, cloves, cinnamon? But not a “pumpkin spice” smell. I think the incense/resin base notes are preventing it from smelling too much like Yule time.

At about five minutes after application, I’m noticing a distinctive sweet/fruity scent and a definite vanilla or amber note wafting around me. It’s maybe muscadine and amber? Maybe some sort of citrus? A botanical sweetness mixed with darker, warmer notes. That wafting smell is nothing like the smell on my wrist, which is sharp, spicy, and with that civet note which perfumers refer to as “pissy”. While I like the waft effect, what’s on my skin is starting to turn into the dreaded musk mess that sometimes happens with my skin chemistry and classic perfumer’s oils such as civet… I assume there must be civet in this blend.

After ten minutes: The civet has become dominant on me and it just isn’t working well with my chemistry. If you have a hard time with musks and civet, probably steer clear of this one.

In the Imp: Red musk? And something citrusy. It's sweet & spicy.

On the Skin: When wet, it smells the same as in the imp. I really like it despite it being called a masculine scent. It smells sweeter on my skin than in the imp. So far it's a winner & I'd get a full bottle ❤! I also must try it on my fiancé o:!

After a few hours, it reminds me of a perfume my grandmother wore just a tiny bit. It loses its sex appeal at that stage but I still enjoy the scent. ^_^

Side note: I was lucky to receive two frimps of Satyr in an order and I decided to make a lotion. I bought Smartly Fragrance-Free Hand & Body Lotion and put enough to fill an old Manic Panic hairdye tub (4 oz) and mixed an imp in. It's soooo good :D!!! The scent in the lotion still transforms the same way the oil does directly on my skin.  :)

Received as an imp today. The vial is dark, deep brown. I can tell this packs a hit before applying. Very manly, & wild. Musky, resinous, & invigorating. Like someone else said, I think I smell cinnamon or clove too. I'd buy a bottle just to enjoy it aging.

Edited by Rane.

In the imp I get a heady blend of patchouli and musk. Right when I first apply Satyr, I also get patchouli and musk, but that melts away into straight cinnamon and cloves on me as it dries. It's reminiscent of eating red hots in a head shop. I was hoping for more musk but my skin tends to amp cinnamon and clove. It does make me think the sugar cookie version could be nice, though. Maybe the sweet cookie would temper the spice?

Oh good Ole Satyr, my skin loves this blend, which makes sense to me as I have a pretty natural acrid masculine skin ph LOL. In the bottle it reminds me alot of Lé Léthe gone manly sexual, I'm sure there's a blend of musks here put I definitely pick up red musk, very similar to the musk in the  aforementioned le lethe, I also pick up what I can only describe as a mixture of beastly musky hair, the forest floor, and the Civet that gives it an almost pissyness lol? I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not strong and stays in the background. Personally I quite like it, but I could see someone being put off by it. 

Wet application: Yes, YES a strong Burst of red musk, a spiced clovey wintery scent with civet and musks, the main notes for me are the musk and clove spices but the others are definitely noticeable and play off each other very well. As it begins its drydown I start to detect a little more of a sweet vanilla or maybe Tonka note, that compliments the blend wonderfully. 

Drydown: Upon its dry down it begins to mellow but is still strong especially in comparison to the other bpals I have. The sweet note I spoke of is still there but has started to dance backstage again in such a pleasant way. This stage for me is were the SEX starts coming out. Tmi but it absolutely reminds me of a one night stand I had at a lake party one time where we absconded into the nearby woody area to get the action started. I'm sure there's not actually any smoke notes in this but the clove spice and the sweet vanilla almost Woodyness reminds me of bonfire smoke stained warm masculine bodies in the throws of heady sexual ecstasy upon the forest floor. That's graphic but exactly what this conjures up in my mind. The Civet and beastly sexy atomosphere mingles with male natural musk in such a sexy way.

To any of my fellow Masculine gay men, I recommend you pick this up even if it makes you nervous, I can almost guarantee your BF or hubby will be panting over you!

I frick'n love Satyr. So many reviews list it as a masculine sent, but I would say has a stereotypically masculine energy about it rather than it smells like a department store men's cologne. It's assertive, confident, and unapologetically sexual. It's also musky, woody, spicy, dry, and has little to no sweetness. That said, I've never had anyone tell me I smell like a man wearing it. 😘

I get a stronger, more in-your-face, Snake Oil vibe, which is great: SO, by itself, is a little tame for my tastes unless it's been aged to the point of treacly thickness. Civet is a note that positively purrs for me, and I haven't found a GC scent containing it I didn't like. Even the infamous Yule Cat becomes a cuddly kitten for me, within an hour. 

I agree this has red musk, or quite possibly blood musk (red musk's more aggressive cousin), in it providing the hint of sweetness.  I'm highly dubious of Satyr containing cinnamon; I amp that note like a mofo, and I think, if it was in here, I'd detect it. I do get dry spice, but not cinnamon. (Clove, maybe?) That said, it could possibly be Ceylon cinnamon being bullied by the other notes into behaving itself very well.

At any rate, I adore wearing this one when I want to smell powerful and sexy, and yes, it would be to die for on a man.  

If you are a fan of Bloodlust, Crimson, Aperotos Eros, Czernobog, Snake Smut, or want SO without vanilla, check this one out. Or check those out if you like this one.  I'm going to go romp around in the woods and find someone to ravish now.

Edited by VetchVesper

One of my latest GC personal discoveries! Satyr is a fan favorite that I had somehow overlooked until recently. The notes aren't listed and I didn't peek at other reviews before writing down my own impressions. 
On my skin, Satyr is a sexy, sweetly animalic decadent red musk that opens with a short-lived accent of sparkling citrus effervescence. The aroma then opens up to conjure an impression of cola, and perhaps a little powdery sandalwood/champaca incense. It's warmly magnetic and come-hither, and feels a little naughty. If you love deeply sensual, indulgent red musk, you have to try Satyr!

Super strong clove-y musk. I put on my normal amount of imp swipe, and it was strong enough to induce a headache. Something is very sweet in this too, as well as...I want to say minty? Or well, rather, there is the greenness of mint, without any of the coolness of mint. I agree with people's opinion that this is very similar to a sweetened up Czernobog, though, with how strong and forefront the musk is.