Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

Red musk, patch and cinnamon. Very sweet like cinnamon gum. I quite like it.

Oh dear.

Ever open an imp, have it gush on your finger and immediately wish you'd been more careful?

Civet, and not a nice, toned down one either. This is "How can we make civet smell even MORE like civet?", civet.

Dank leaf-litter, animal musk, wet dirt, mossy granite, and a faint twist of locker room....

Not for me, not even for ritual use.

Huh. My roommate pulled her Satyr imp out of her perfume box just to show me how foul it was. In the imp and on my hand (I was not careful enough when opening it) it smelled like goat, hay, and pee. (That's what she had gotten when first trying it, too.) I washed and washed my hand but it wouldn't come off!

On both of our boys, it smelled wonderful and sexy. On mine, it even reminded me of my precious Loviatar (I fell in love before I realized it was discontinued!) but without the leather note. On the right person, then, this perfume is fantastically musky and sensual, but on the wrong one....it's pee. Either way, it's crazy long-lasting. Take your chances.

Testing my imp of this one again.... keeping in mind I am terrible at picking out notes etc and go by feel...

At first it is too strong... terrible & feral with whiffs of pee peeping through but within half an hour it mellows on me. It is heavy and resinous. I love resins. We lived in India when I was a baby and for some reason incense and resin and sandalwood/cedar scents have always appealed to me but this is almost too heavy. The description of it being masculine holds true for me since there is no floral or cream softening it up. Still I have no problems wearing it. It has been 4 hours and I keep bringing my wrists up to sniff. My right and left wrist wear fragrances differently not only in throw but in morphing. I love this and am keeping it although I doubt I will buy a bottle. If it were summertime it would have to go but with the weather turning chillier I am sure my imp will be gone soon.

imp: cinnamon/clove, and animal musk. I don't find is as displeasing as some of the other reviewers.

wet on skin: vanilla? O_o Very heavy and resin-y.

dry down: this badboy is strong! mild throw, but when I lift my wrist to my nose I am overwhelmed.

All in all I think it's a very sexy scent. My body chemistry doesn't turn it to pee smells, or anything horrible mentioned by others. It reminds me of a shop called Wild Roots I used to frequent as a teenager. It smells like dark musky incense and a dirty musky note that I can't quite put my finger on. Must be the civet but I'm not sure.

I can't wait to make my man try this!

I don't have the nose to identify all the notes in this. However I can say that anytime I go out to a party or event where i'm looking to attract women (I am male) this is a great scent to wear. When ever I want to feel like, well like a satyr with the oozing male sexuality and all that, this is my go-to scent. This is not a sophisticated masculine scent, this is a "romp in the hay that leaves all involved with bite marks and scratches that hurt once the afterglow wears off," although that might just be the circles I travel in these days.

In any case, I've learned that this scent actually drives one playmate absolutely wild, as well as makes most women who take a whiff stop for a second. (note to self, buy larger bottle) :D

Overall, based on my experiences and the other reviews, it seems that this scent does marvels for making men smell fantastic, but does poorly on a woman's skin. So Ladies, try an imp of this out on your man. He might just thank you for it. ;)

Edited by ObadiahAskew

Whatever is in this..cinnamon, red musk, clove, civet, patchouli...seriously, it smells soooo damn good I just want to smell it on him. All. The.Time.

Spicy Sex in a Bottle.

Yup. Got this for the Man and it's super-sexy. He wore it out the other night and one of my happily married girlfriends grabbed him, yanked him towards her, shoved her face in his neck and said "Oh my GOD you smell gooooood! That is SEXY". Heh.

On him, it's a strange but very compelling mix of resins, clove cigarettes, vanilla and patchouli (the latter which i usually hate, but something about the BPAL patchouli makes me reconsider every time i smell it and realize what it actually is...it's not slathered-on mess on a stinky-stoner-at-a-festival-four-days-into-showerless-extravaganza, the environment in which i learned to loath the smell - but rather a good musky grounding note).

It seems to be consistent throughout the wet-to-drydown phase, it lasts and lasts and it's very strong, so a little goes a long way. But every time he puts it on he shoves his wrist under my nose and exclaims "Oooo, man don't i smell GREAT?".

Yes, babe. Yes, you do.

I received this as a frimp from the lab, and OMG I love it! Strong red musk, cinnamon, with a hint of vetiver as an undernote that grounds it and gives it an earthiness, and it's very long-lasting. I don't feel that it's masculine, but I have no problem wearing heavier, dark scents. I wish I could convince my husband to try it though, as I bet it would smell awesome on him.

In the Imp (ITI): musk, maybe civet, pine, patchouli, and something that is a little smoky.

Wet: Civet, pine, sarsaparilla, I think, light cinnamon and nutmeg. I like it, but civet isn't a note for everyone.

Dry: Civet, cinnamon, nutmeg and patchouli. It does remind me of its namesake, but the satyr happens to be a mythical creature of which I'm rather fond.

This is one sexy scent. Anytime I'm needing a boost to my self-esteem? Out comes the Satyr.

In the bottle: Red musk, patchouli, and a stronger, spicier version of Sin.

On Me: Wet, this is mostly musk and spice. As it dries down the patchouli and maybe sandalwood come out to play. At full dry down, it's an incredible heady blend of spices and musk and primal drive.

I get compliments every time I wear this - no matter how little or how much I put on. Shop keepers that lean across counters to ask me what perfume I'm wearing, baristas with an extra shot for my mocha, strangers in elevators. It's almost a little unnerving.

Satyr might be my perfect "on the rag" scent, because I'm getting thick, sweet cinnamon with a musky edge that develops after the oil is dry. I only know civet because reviews suggest that it's one of the notes in Lil' Menes' Feline Entertainments, but there is none of that skanky musk in Satyr. There's no animal feel to this on my skin.

This is like Sin's more outgoing, more amorous brother (yes, he's male, but yet I still want to wear this scent). Sin is, oddly, the shy sister and Satyr is the one who goes out and finds f*ck buddies for himself and while he's doing so, he kindly also finds one for Sin.

Unless this changes with age, I can see myself needing a bottle. I do have a bottle of Sin, but I might want her more potent brother. Thank you for the frimp, Lab! I'm not sure I would've chosen this one based on the reviews.

Civet loves me, apparently. I never get anything remotely "pee like" or nasty with civet, just a deep, sexy musk. Yum, yum.

Satyr is sweetened considerably by the cinnamon (a note I don't often love, but it's quite nice in this blend.) There is almost certainly some patchouli here, as well.

Apparently civet and I get along famously, I never even get a whiff of rankness, just a deep and sexy musk. It's very spicy at first, enough to burn my skin (but I'm a trooper), but quickly settles down into a close wearing, intriguing warmth. If I smelled this on someone at a bar or a club I would definitely want to get a closer look.

I don't get masculine out of this at all, it really sweetens on my skin. Husband thought it smelled a little cologn-y, but his nose isn't the mos reliable. He also refuses to wear any scent, so I'll never know what this could be on him :P

I ended up layering it with Aureus, and the result is beautiful, and appropriate for daytime wear.

I love this blend. I don't know why I'd never tried it before, but it came as a frimp with my Trading Post order and it is delightful. It doesn't smell funky at all to me--it actually just smells sort of foody--gingery--cinnamon--y with a little bit of dirt. Like Penny Dreadful or some kind of earthy gingerbread. It also smells a bit powdery, like Snake Oil or one of the dragon's blood blends. I like it on me, I like it on my husband. It's funny though--I put it on him and I had TKO on, and then the next day I put more on him and he said that it smelled better last night--turns out, he was remembering MY TKO and liked it better;) So I guess I get to wear the sultry "manly" satyr, while my sweet man wears the vanilla and lavender blend. Yay:)

Start with Snake Oil.

Subtract the weird note that goes powdery-strange (on me).

Make it just a touch more masculine by adding a hint of the slightly smoky, almost cola-like element from Tombstone.

And that's Satyr.

I really, really like this. I don't know what civet smells like so I'm no help there, but it doesn't turn to animal smells (!) or pee (!!!) on my skin, so there's that. Everyone seems to think it's super masculine but I don't know, I'm a girl and I think I could wear this easily.

This is a gorgeous, amazing, /clean/ musk on me. I was expecting something scary, which this is assuredly not on me. I need some imps. Or a bottle. Either way, it's win.

edit: Went back to Healthy Living the day after and tested this again after being freshly showered and not stuck in a car for hours. This time, the cinnamon really came out and warmed the blend considerably. Still awesome.

Edited by vthesiren

Wet: patchouli and musk dry: animal musk (civet I guess), patchouli and cinnamon. I like it, but it eventually just turns to cinnamon since I amp it :huh?: I actually like the musk patchouli phase. Got this as a frimp. Throw is strong.

Another one of the "I have this imp and didn't realize it and kept it but never reviewed it" ... and I will add that my own notes on it clearly show that even celebrating my 10th anniversary of being part of this forum, I am clueless on notes.

IN THE IMP: Spicy, sexy something with a little Snake Oil kick to it.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of my arm.

WET: WOWZA. How on earth did I not order a big bottle of this? On me this is Snake Oil-scented cola. Now, I know notes aren't listed but usually, for me, cola is either oppoponax or musk so I'm guessing this is the musk. This is like the GC version of my beloved Schwarzer Mond or Minotaur.

DRYDOWN: Okay, I admit I didn't read every single review on this long thread but I read the first two pages and the last two pages and did not see anyone mention myrrh. However, I am convinced that there is myrrh in this (or else something I have ID'd as myrrh for awhile is not myrrh) ... it's a funky scent I get ONLY in the crook of my arm on a resiny drydown. It makes me still love this blend like wow but reminds me that I will have to keep it away from my active sweatglands.

OVERALL: I totally love this and it is on my GC big bottle wishlist. I know it's defined as a "guy scent" but it smells awesome on me. Plus, I am looking forward to mixing and matching this with some of my other scents like Bliss, etc.

On a scale of 1-5. a 4.9

No funky animal scent, no pee, so apparently civet is my friend! I get thick red musk that, if it were edible, I'd call chewy. It has texture, it's gritty. It plays off the cinnamon nicely and I'm put in mind of gingerbread as others have mentioned. I don't think it's necessarily masculine and I wouldn't feel strange wearing it as a female. I do want to slather some on the man though. It's just deliciously spicy and warm and sexy.

I am very bad at identifying animal scents at the moment, so this probably will be supremely unhelpful.

Definitely very animal with a little spice. It reminds me of that sweet smell that rivers sometimes give off in a forest. Upon application I thought it smelled like a mulchpile, but in a nice way.

Great last and sillage.

Ultimately a little darker and heavier than I would like (it's like there are /NO/ top notes), but it might be nice to layer with a green/floral scent that needs some grounding.

Edit: I've been wearing this regularly over the past month+ and decided that I love it. To me it feels spicy and musky (perhaps it's civet? it smells akin to but not exactly like the other musks I have from the lab) but also strangely neutral and wearable. Definitely getting a bottle with my next order. I also don't really think this is masculine at all. I get more of a femme fatale vibe if anything.

Edited by gentle-twig

I bought an imp for my bf, and on him it's gorgeous. I get warm spices (mostly cinnamon) and glowing red musk. (And I do love lab's red musk :wub3: ) Satyr is sexy and inviting. I too associate this with color red. It has quite strong throw and it lasts very well. Too bad bf is more into clean citrus and aquatic blends, I really love Satyr on him.

I haven't really tested it on myself yet, but it's surprisingly unisex so it might just work. But still, I think I'll save my imp in case someday bf warms up to Satyr. ;)

I did end up sticking this on the BF. Initially it was a fuzzy musk, which was nice, but just blew up into a super-heavy, dirty patchouli. He smelled liked a head shop, and not in a good way.